PDA

View Full Version : British Airways are starting the Gatwick to Tenerife South route again

David29971
09-08-2013, 18:27
I was very pleased to learn that BA were returning to to the LGW/TFS/LGW routing.
I am about to make a booking for this coming January.
Does anyone have any experience please?

delderek
09-08-2013, 18:48
Be careful on the hold luggage, they give a price inc luggage, then a discount if you haven't any. bit sneaky, but as long as you know!

Megaloo
09-08-2013, 18:59
yes friend of mine has used them twice since they started in April very good they told me, but the prices are going up, and has already been mentioned they have now jumped on the luggage bandwaggon

colin7777
09-08-2013, 19:58
We booked the other day with BA, it was great value we got £70 per seat each way without luggage. Hand luggage is 23Kg it says as long as you can lift it into overhead, still limited by size but better that all the others. It also says drink and food included. Problem with luggage was that for four people everyone would have been charged for luggage but we wouldn't need 4 cases. You can pay £20 to add a bag so £5 more each way but we can then select only 1 bag.
The problem seems to be reliability, over the last few days it has been late between 30min and 4 hours and it only has a reliability of arriving within 10 mins 66% of the time. As the return is around midnight could be 4 or 5 am arriving at gatwick.

But at the price we are looking forward to Christmas in Tenerife and yes the prices are going up, I have been watching and they have not come down at all just on the up.

Colin

David29971
10-08-2013, 15:58
Thank you very much for these useful replies
I have taken careful note of the baggage situation and, Colin, I too have noticed delays are becoming a feature. Yesterdays flight was around 5 hours late. A bit like Monarch last year although I see their timing performance seems greatly improved.

It was because of last year's delays with Monarch that I was looking at BA but I think I will now stick with them.

Thanks again for the advice

Red Devil
11-08-2013, 09:31
Thank you very much for these useful replies
I have taken careful note of the baggage situation and, Colin, I too have noticed delays are becoming a feature. Yesterdays flight was around 5 hours late. A bit like Monarch last year although I see their timing performance seems greatly improved.

It was because of last year's delays with Monarch that I was looking at BA but I think I will now stick with them.

Thanks again for the advice

We always used BA when they flew from Manchester, then Easyjet took their slots.
I didnt like Easyjet policy of no seat reservation but now that has changed I use them all the time, far more modern planes than Monarch.
From Gatwick havent you now got flights to Tenerife from Norwegian airways? they are showing really good prices.

David29971
11-08-2013, 12:19
Thank you for that, Red Devil.
I, too, now use Easy Jet for the retun flights as the timings are particularly convenient for me getting in at 16.30 hours.
I do know Norwegian had plans for LGW/TFS and were offering at good rates in the spring but when I last looked could not find any direct flights for Nov/Dec/Jan.
Seemed to have 10 hour flight times. Funny peculiar!

Red Devil
11-08-2013, 20:51
Thank you for that, Red Devil.
I, too, now use Easy Jet for the retun flights as the timings are particularly convenient for me getting in at 16.30 hours.
I do know Norwegian had plans for LGW/TFS and were offering at good rates in the spring but when I last looked could not find any direct flights for Nov/Dec/Jan.
Seemed to have 10 hour flight times. Funny peculiar!

Put your glasses on:wink:
The prices in the lighter coloured boxes are the direct flights from Gatwick at 4hrs 15mins, the darker boxes ones seem to go on to Norway so make a couple of stops.
Then there is the low fare and flexi fare, but in Jan it seems there are good priced flights.
I was reading about the company - newish planes, leather seats and its the fastest growing airline in Europe.

theslaters
11-08-2013, 22:12
We have booked for oct family of 5 about 250 all in oneway super bargain if all goes to plan still flying back squeezyjet as above no direct flights when we wanted to return.

David29971
12-08-2013, 07:14
Thanks Red Devil.
I see it depends on the day. I have to go on a Friday and for all the dates I looked at there were no directs.
Nevertheless, I have an appointment booked with the opticians for this afternoon.
Good Luck to you!

Red Devil
12-08-2013, 12:49
Thanks Red Devil.
I see it depends on the day. I have to go on a Friday and for all the dates I looked at there were no directs.
Nevertheless, I have an appointment booked with the opticians for this afternoon.
Good Luck to you!

Thats such a shame, there are some really good prices for the Saturday flights.
Unfortunately most airlines seem to bump the Friday prices up dont they. In the past we have even given a days holiday up and travelled a day later to save quite a large amount in total.

colin7777
01-12-2013, 10:53
Has anyone traveled on BA recently, is there any entertainment on board.
Thanks
Colin

doreen
01-12-2013, 13:03
Thanks
Colin

No, not the few times I have flown with them (two weeks ago being the most recent). There was when GB Airways were flying the route for BA but those planes went to Easyjet: BA are mostly using ex BMI planes now which do not have screens.

marbro8
01-12-2013, 16:13
Thanks
Colinwhat was you expecting colin? a 6 piece band or just a singer?:lol:, sorry:eyebrows:, they stopped all entertainment on most airlines a few years ago on what they called short haul flights, but i think 4.30 hours is quite long, i can understand it if you where traveling to portugal or mainland spain, i now take my own portable dvd player with a couple of films or a box set just to pass the time away, they only cost about £70 for a good one and they are light and easy to carry;)

delderek
01-12-2013, 19:04
Most people now have their own entertainment devices, smart phones, tabs, laptops etc. So yes nothing on short haul flights anymore. And Norweigian airlines even have wifi so you can download any films or music en-route.

marbro8
01-12-2013, 19:19
Most people now have their own entertainment devices, smart phones, tabs, laptops etc. So yes nothing on short haul flights anymore. And Norweigian airlines even have wifi so you can download any films or music en-route.i tried that before i set off for tenerife, i bought breaking bad boxed set from blikbox hoping too watch it on my laptop on the plane, but when i contacted them just to ask how i could do it they informed me i could only watch it here in the uk because of the licencing laws:angry:

delderek
01-12-2013, 22:00
i tried that before i set off for tenerife, i bought breaking bad boxed set from blikbox hoping too watch it on my laptop on the plane, but when i contacted them just to ask how i could do it they informed me i could only watch it here in the uk because of the licencing laws:angry:

Never thought of that. Daft really all it does is force people to use illegal download torrent sites.