PDA

View Full Version : Other Perseids meteor shower in the North sky this weekend

junglejim
10-08-2013, 10:05
This weekend we should have the annual Perseids Meteor shower in the Northern Hemisphere - happy viewing , and sore necks !:hi::wow:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-23638972

canarybird
10-08-2013, 11:14
Always like to stargaze on these nights. Last year I was in Canada at my daughter's home out in the country where it was very dark with no light pollution.
We lay on deck chairs looking skyward, bundled up in blankets, more to keep off the mosquitoes than the chill of the night.

sunseeker
11-08-2013, 23:14
I fancy a trip up teide tonight.

sunseeker
13-08-2013, 12:26
Here's another 2 to look out for. Remember Halle bop? Well there's a similar show in November.

November 28 - Comet ISON Closest Approach to the Sun. Newly discovered comet ISON will make its closest approach to the Sun on November 28. If the comet survives its encounter with the Sun, it could be one of the brightest comets in recent memory. Some astronomers estimate that it could even be bright enough to be seen during daylight hours. In August and September, the comet will begin to be visible in the morning sky in dark locations with telescopes. In October it will start to be visible to the naked eye and will continue to get brighter until November 28. If the comet survives, it will be visible in the early morning and early evening sky and could be nearly as bright as the full Moon. Some astronomers are already calling it the comet of the century.

December 13, 14 - Geminids Meteor Shower. The Geminids is the king of the meteor showers. It is considered by many to be the best shower in the heavens, producing up to 120 multicolored meteors per hour at its peak. It is produced by debris left behind by an asteroid known as 3200 Phaethon, which was discovered in 1982. The shower runs annually from December 7-17. It peaks this year on the night of the 13th and morning of the 14th. The waxing gibbous moon will block out some of the meteors this year, but the Geminids are so bright and numerous that it should still be a good show. Best viewing will be from a dark location after midnight. Meteors will radiate from the constellation Gemini, but can appear anywhere in the sky.

canarybird
13-08-2013, 12:47
Heavy cloud cover last night. Didn't see a thing. :(