PDA

View Full Version : Other Spam, trolling and mindless comments ....

kiwiphil
10-08-2013, 19:40
Wouldn't it be nice if people only replied when they had something useful to say? 90% of the threads on this forum get hijacked by completely unrelated chatter. Its nice to have some banter .... but someone needs to occasionally stand up and tell people to stfu ....

I will now stand back and await a few in agreement and many indignant replies :)

slodgedad
10-08-2013, 19:43
Wouldn't it be nice if people only replied when they had something useful to say? 90% of the threads on this forum get hijacked by completely unrelated chatter. Its nice to have some banter .... but someone needs to occasionally stand up and tell people to stfu ....

I will now stand back and await a few in agreement and many indignant replies :)

You should see it before the drivel gets moved

kiwiphil
10-08-2013, 19:50
You should see it before the drivel gets moved

I can imagine. The saying "if you got something useful to say then say it, if not ...." spring to mind so often. It really drags this forum down.

Harmonicaman
10-08-2013, 21:17
As an Admin on another forum, if I deleted all posts that weren't related to the original OPs thread, then I'll tell you the forum wouldn't be long in dying. Forum's (or Fora if you want to be pedantic), survive mostly because they are a means of social chat. Take that away and there isn't much reason left for them to exist. :tiphat:

slodgedad
10-08-2013, 21:49
As an Admin on another forum, if I deleted all posts that weren't related to the original OPs thread, then I'll tell you the forum wouldn't be long in dying. Forum's (or Fora if you want to be pedantic), survive mostly because they are a means of social chat. Take that away and there isn't much reason left for them to exist. :tiphat:

I didn't say delete I said, move, for various reasons.

Amazes me how in the middle of serious thread about pets ,for instance, someone posts that they want a 1 bed apartment.
It gets moved 1. to keep a seroius thread (as opposed to a chat thread) on topic and 2. to giv the poster more of a chance to find what they are looking for. If everything was left as a jumble in Chat no one would be able to find anything.

Harmonicaman
10-08-2013, 22:08
I didn't say delete I said, move, for various reasons.

Sorry Slodge, I wasn't replying to your post but to Kiwiphils...:wave:

LUCKY
10-08-2013, 22:14
Get ready to DELETE .... LUCKY is now talking . But sometimes what other posters have to bring things to mind even on the same subject. just like i typed life is not so serious trying telling my:feret::feret::feret::feret::feret::feret::feret ::feret: THIS :flatcap: Oh and by the way A BIG THANK YOU to our Admin people on the Tenerife Forum

Santiago
10-08-2013, 22:44
I have to agree and disagree, kiwiphil. Yes, sometimes the banter gets a bit much and I hold my hand up as an offender, but there is also a great deal of information for people who really want to know more about the island, or places, to visit, etc. Most of the regulars on the Forum, (Fora or Fori), do try really hard to be of assistance to answer any queries which are raised, and they are also very welcoming to new members. I am sure we all like to think that the Forum is a place to relax and have a chat whilst remaining anonymous but it also a place where a wealth of information can be found and if there is the odd joke or banter among this, so be it. Other Forums, (Fora, Fori), have long since departed the web probably partly because they ignored - or deleted - the occasional witty jibe. I do appreciate that not everyone has a sense of humour, but the wording of some of the queries can sometimes be misinterpreted to an extent that it is difficult not to add a reply of a jocular nature.

Was this reply useful to you? Answers on a postcard please!

melm
10-08-2013, 23:19
don't you just love it when someone asks a question......... receives really helpful advice ......and doesn't respond. Not even a thank you. weird, where to they go:confused: human nature???????????????

Is this off topic??

Malteser Monkey
10-08-2013, 23:26
Yes specially when they live on the west coast:tiphat:

9PLUS
11-08-2013, 10:25
I agree with Kiwiphil it's an element of the forum thats not really needed.

Spam, trolling and mindless comments .... take them out of the equation and you end up for Thetenerifeforum and we know where that went....

TOTO 99
11-08-2013, 10:42
I think we do well.

Very little spam and very little trolling so that just leaves mindless comments...I'm afraid that they are in the eye of the beholder. What one member doesn't like, another may enjoy. It's not University Challenge, it's a forum...:respect:

TOPGUN77
11-08-2013, 11:04
I Love Spam lol back on topic you will always get keyboard warriors on any forum you belong to.If I was an Admin on this site repeated offenders say get 2 warnings on the 3rd offence they get banned.Only trouble they will rejoin under a different name.

junglejim
11-08-2013, 11:11
Where´s Mr Bamford when you need some trolling!!
Sadly missed ! :redcard:

Malteser Monkey
11-08-2013, 14:56
I have to agree and disagree, kiwiphil. Yes, sometimes the banter gets a bit much and I hold my hand up as an offender, but there is also a great deal of information for people who really want to know more about the island, or places, to visit, etc. Most of the regulars on the Forum, (Fora or Fori), do try really hard to be of assistance to answer any queries which are raised, and they are also very welcoming to new members. I am sure we all like to think that the Forum is a place to relax and have a chat whilst remaining anonymous but it also a place where a wealth of information can be found and if there is the odd joke or banter among this, so be it. Other Forums, (Fora, Fori), have long since departed the web probably partly because they ignored - or deleted - the occasional witty jibe. I do appreciate that not everyone has a sense of humour, but the wording of some of the queries can sometimes be misinterpreted to an extent that it is difficult not to add a reply of a jocular nature.

Was this reply useful to you? Answers on a postcard please!

I agree and hold my hands up ! However when it is a serious thread ie about health etcI like to put the joking to one side.

There has to be a certain amount of joking on here otherwise it would be blinkin' boring. It's nice to think that you can come on here maybe pd off or upset and see some banter going on and join in.

The world is a very serious place and here it's like a little escape "in my opinion"

don't you just love it when someone asks a question......... receives really helpful advice ......and doesn't respond. Not even a thank you. weird, where to they go:confused: human nature???????????????

Is this off topic??

Yup there's that too

Where´s Mr Bamford when you need some trolling!!
Sadly missed ! :redcard:

We had some right ones in the past - :lol: