PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phones How can I turn off the internet connection on my Apple iPhone?

Foz
13-08-2013, 14:23
Ok ... so I have just got my first ever iphone and admit to being totally confused by it. I can go back to the shop and ask a trillion questions .... but I don't have the time for a few days and thought someone on here would probably be able to help me out. i am with Orange and paying one of these fixed rates where I get to use 200mins of phone calls, 1,000 texts and 2GB of data. Now I only got the thing on Monday and have been putting in all my contacts etc (I was with a different provider before) and have downloaded all my music off itunes. I think from looking at my account online that I am almost at my data limit already!!!! What I'm wondering is ... can I turn off the internet connection or is it permanently on ?.... if it's always on I am going to go WAYYYYY over this month that's for sure!!

kcspanner
13-08-2013, 15:07
Not good going over you need to go in to settings, then general then mobile data and set it to off that should do it hope it helps

Foz
13-08-2013, 15:10
Thanks KC. I can't find anything titled mobile data ... but I have "cellular data" would that be the same thing?

casabonny
13-08-2013, 15:30
I would imagine so, have you set the language to English or is it still in Spanish, if not change that first it might help.

Foz
13-08-2013, 15:41
I changed it to English first thing I did xx

Out of interest ... 2GB? Is that much or not?

casabonny
13-08-2013, 16:41
I am not a technie so don't know but if it helps my smart phone would not do anything when it had a 512 card in but when changed to an 8gb its okay.Based on that I assume its not much!
Sure someone who really knows will be along shortly to give you some better advice.

slodgedad
13-08-2013, 19:10
I am not a technie so don't know but if it helps my smart phone would not do anything when it had a 512 card in but when changed to an 8gb its okay.Based on that I assume its not much!
Sure someone who really knows will be along shortly to give you some better advice.
I think she means usage and not memory.

delderek
13-08-2013, 20:18
I changed it to English first thing I did xx

Out of interest ... 2GB? Is that much or not?

2GB is fairly generous, a couple of films or a lot of music. Some phones call it "Packet Data" but should still be listed under Mobile Data

Foz
13-08-2013, 21:20
I "sync-ed" (!!) my entire itunes from my pc onto my iphone. About 10GB of music ... so not sure if that used a lot. Apart from that I have sent a few emails etc. I'm maybe just not reading my Orange account correctly. I'll have to pop into a shop next time I'm out and about.

golazzo
14-08-2013, 06:16
Coz. Gigabytes of music is not related to gigabytes of data.

Go to settings then mobile data/cellular data and it should be already switched off. Under no circumstances leave in the ON position unless of course you live in the same country has your network provider.

Ill give you a example of why, two years ago I came to Tenerife and unbeknown to me my mobile data was ON. When I got home my bill for one month was over £800. Thankfully Orange fully understood the situation and credited a substantial amount back to my Orange business account

Foz
14-08-2013, 08:04
Thanks Golazzo. I am based in Tenerife so am living in the same country as my provider.

karinagal
14-08-2013, 08:38
I "sync-ed" (!!) my entire itunes from my pc onto my iphone. About 10GB of music ... so not sure if that used a lot. Apart from that I have sent a few emails etc. I'm maybe just not reading my Orange account correctly. I'll have to pop into a shop next time I'm out and about.

If you synced your music over wifi then that does not count. If you synced using a cable from your computer to the phone then that also does not count. Your mobile data allowance is taken up by any apps or email that you access away from your wifi signal.

There are ways you can avoid hefty data usage:

1) In settings, go to Mail, Contacts and Calendar. Where it says Fetch new data, select this and change it from Push to Fetch and either change the frequency to hourly or set it to manual so that it will only update when you open the email app.

2) While you're in settings, go to Notifications and see which apps you are allowing to notify you of updates. Try to limit these as this means they are constantly running in the background and could be running away with your data allowance.

3) Remember that every app you open stays open until you manually close it. Get into the habit of pressing the home button twice and closing down any apps you're not using.

Hope this helps!

Karina
:D

Foz
14-08-2013, 08:58
Wow Karina x thanks for the comprehensive reply. I'll get right on it x

I did sync the music via cable. Still not sure that I am reading my orange account correctly ... it says "megas que te quedan - 2029 megs" I took this to mean I had used 2029 megs .... maybe it means that is what I have available to use????

karinagal
14-08-2013, 10:40
My grasp of the Spanish language is limited to right, left and straight ahead along with the numbers 1-10 so I'm afraid I can't help you there!!! :D

Tenerife Sun
14-08-2013, 12:06
I think the translation is "megabytes you have left"

Foz
14-08-2013, 15:58
I think the translation is "megabytes you have left"
I hope so xxxx cheers everyone