PDA

View Full Version : Why can't my computer see my WIFI router?

deepdivejunkie
13-08-2013, 21:20
I had a new router installed yesterday. The PC is connected by ethernet cable, and 2 mobiles conected by wifi.. no problems. Switched on my laptop, but my new router does not appear on the list of available wifi conections, even with refresh. My neighbours router (exactly the same model on WPA but with different name and password) appears in available connections list. Tried resetting router and allsorts but does not appear. The distance from my router to laptop is 2 meters. All I can think of is that my wireless adapter on my laptop in not compatible with my new router. Friends mobiles and laptops can see the router OK. I cannot change any or the routers settings as it is through the community internet system.

Previous connection WEP on old router is fine
New connection WPA on new router not OK

Driver on laptop is Atheros AR5006EG 802.11 a/b/g WIFI adapter
New router is Zaapa Wireless-N router (b/g/n compatible).

Any help or ideas greatly appreciated.

delderek
13-08-2013, 21:55
That's all a bit spooky. As you can see your neighbours which is the same router, and as your friends can see your router, it defies all logic. Only thing I would try is to "uninstall" the wireless card, switch off , and see if it finds a better driver on a reboot

deepdivejunkie
13-08-2013, 22:04
That's all a bit spooky. As you can see your neighbours which is the same router, and as your friends can see your router, it defies all logic. Only thing I would try is to "uninstall" the wireless card, switch off , and see if it finds a better driver on a reboot

Tried to update the driver with a different atheros one which I found using google for a problem very similsr to mine. Installed the driver and lost any wifi connectivity. Reinstalled the orginal driver tonight but still dont see my router. Am connected to my old router at the moment which works fine

markcuk
13-08-2013, 22:05
I would the say the router is set up for 802.11n and not mixed mode ie 802.11b/g/n

Try and log into the router and check usually http://192.168.1.1 or similar

Cheers

Mark

delderek
13-08-2013, 22:16
Agree that could cause it, but surely after a router reset, it would default to mixed mode. If your PC is connected, you could check the router settings as Mark says.

deepdivejunkie
14-08-2013, 19:13
Bought a USB WIFI adapter today for 11€. Plugged it in and installed ok. Job sorted. Now can connect to my router. I think the problem was that my wireless adapter is not compatible with N routers. Am running a laptop with Win XP which I like. Thats technology for ya!
Thanks to all that replied.