PDA

View Full Version : Other Does anyone know anything about inflatable boats?

balababe
15-08-2013, 11:53
I am considering buying an inflatable boat and motor to keep my son-in-law happy! I shall probably enjoy it as well. It needs to be inflatable for storage purposes. Should take at least three people, preferable four, as we are all heavy-ish. No idea of prices, so will not include that as a caveat yet. Needs to be strong, safe and take a motor - don't know about them either! Any advice and warnings would be very welcome.

rosemary
15-08-2013, 12:54
My OH had a Zodiac, a reliable make. They fall into several categories. Some have hard bottoms, the bigger ones, they are called RIB ones.
Others that are smaller but would easily take 4 people have inflatable bottoms.:laugh: He suggests one that is over 4 metres or 13 ft. He had a 15 hp which would he says easily get onto the plane (teccie talk meaning gets you up and going) with 4 people. This would pull a child skiing or a tube. You will need 2 strong fellas to inflate it and to carry it around. OH had one with 2 detachable wheels like on a trolley which clamped onto the transom, the wooden bit at the back where the engine is. It had also a foot pump which was strong but slow. You can get electric which I would recommend! They run off a car battery.

10 years ago his cost 3,500 sterling. Inc engine. There is a boat showroom in Chafiras just down from the Mercadona back entrance. They might have secondhand one.

We had several years of great fun. Children loved it. You cld take it down to the Marina here at Golf del sur.

Medanoman
15-08-2013, 13:02
A sailing permit or licence (título de recreo) is not needed to sail the following vessels during daylight hours in Spanish waters:

Motor boats up to 4 meters in length and with a maximum power of 10 Kw (13 CV)
Sailing boats up to 5 metres in length
Kayaks, canoes and pedal boats and boats with motors of under 3.5 Kw
For further information: Click here (in Spanish)

All other vessels may only be handled by person holding an appropriate licence. Failure to have a licence may result in the vessel being confiscated or a hefty fine.

Although a Yacht Masters certificate (and translation into Spanish) or an ICC (International Certificate of Competence) are considered sufficient proof of competence to skipper a UK (or some other) flagged vessel, the ICC is not a recognised qualification for Spanish flagged vessels. Anyone resident in Spain must have a Spanish recognised qualification, the título de recreo.

from http://spain.angloinfo.com/lifestyle/sports-and-leisure/sailing-and-boating/

Without the local qualification you would be restricted to 4 m... Getting 4 of you in a 4 meter long boat might be a bit of a squeeze...

I cannot comment on the pros and conns both practical or legal of a zodiac, i have always mucked bout on things under a british flag which avoids a lot of the local agro