PDA

View Full Version : How are charges calculated on incoming parcels to Tenerife?

danno
15-08-2013, 18:18
Hi All,
Does anyone know how I can calculate my own charges for incoming parcels, then I know whether to buy my things from Uk companies & have them shipped here.
For example I recently bought a radio from amazon.co.uk which was on a special deal, Cost £125 it arrived & courier asked me for 38 euros on arrival. Ouch.
Now considering 5 X 5kg tubs of protein powder. Total value £150 but I have no idea how the charges are calculated & could do without any nasty surprises. Cheers to anyone that has the knowledge (-;

ameal4two
15-08-2013, 20:18
No idea on charges but you can buy protein here

danno
15-08-2013, 21:12
its a lot cheaper in UK, unless u know a good store here?. Uk internet price 33 euros for 5 kilos!!!

casabonny
15-08-2013, 21:18
There is no set price , it depends on whether the parcel comes by post or courier and what has been declared on the customs declaration.It does not always get charged customs duty but will always do so if sent by courier , with postal parcels it seems to be hit and miss.

TenerifeTeddy
15-08-2013, 21:29
Our experience with items delivered to our shop is that if delivered by the Correos very seldom do items get stopped, especially if in a plain packaging and not marked with a retailers branding, or if they do, then a nominal handling charge and IGIC at 7% (Canarian VAT)are added, which adds only a small amount to the bill.

However if items are delivered by courier they seemed to get stopped every time. They also incur not just the IGIC charge but a DUE GAC (admin) charge of around €25. Which adds considerably to the cost.

danno
16-08-2013, 09:18
Thanks Tenerife Teddy, that would explain my 38 euro charge by Courier. So there is a formula which I should be able to apply as a worst case scenario. I think you are saying that the worst case can be, tax of the declared value at 7% & an admin of 25 euros. Thats great thank you very much.

LosRoques
16-08-2013, 10:25
Over the 10 years or so we've been here we've had a lot of stuff shipped in that either we couldn't get here or was vastly cheaper to buy from overseas.

We've found that the fees vary by courier. The cheapest we've had is 18€, the most expensive 45€ - and that's just the courier 'admin' fee, forgetting any taxes etc. Taxes vary also depending on what the item is and seemingly also where it's come from.

These days, unless it's something we really want and can't get any other way, we always insist that the sending company uses the post office. For Amazon this means use just their regular postage; don't use express delivery or super-saver.

Items coming in via Correos sometimes get charged and sometimes don't. We've found no particular pattern to this; a printer delivered to us in it's own box (not wrapped, so it was very clear what the package contained) had no fees or taxes and just turned up. A small pack of electronic parts in a padded envelope smaller than A4 got stopped and taxes had to be paid.

Always use Correos unless you're really desperate, and if you use a courier a good worst-case rule of thumb is 13% taxes and 50€ fees (which is about the highest we've ever been charged for either).

Goldenmaniac
16-08-2013, 16:45
Have a look here if you read Spanish http://www.correos.es/ss/Satellite/popup/pagina-1363182962443/info (Post Office) and here http://www.camaras.org/guias/arancel/Guia_Arancel_cap6_016.html (AIEM) (Chamber of commerce)

Basically value under 150 euros posted to a private person (not a business) it is sent to your home and does not contain restricted items (ie tabacco) - you pay under the simplified system

The general amount of import duty (over and above IGIC) is 5 %, although some items fall in the 15 % bracket and others are not taxed like cheese. (there is a long complicated list! - which is why it's hard to say what your bill will be and of course there will be a fee on top by the import agent)

The AIEM protectionist import duty is in effect until December of this year (2013) under EU reg 895/2011/UE - at which point it is supposed to be withdrawn - we shall see - there has already been one extention by the EU.

tracey
16-08-2013, 22:26
2 and a half years and I have never paid the same import on any parcel. The way I work it now is ....imagine the worse and go by that cause anything less is a bonus :)

Ashro Autos
16-08-2013, 23:23
Think of a number,multiply it by 7 add 9% divide by 3 and you will be close ISH or is it only Smarties that have the answer ???

danno
18-08-2013, 14:50
Loads of useful info, Thanks to all that contributed.

poolside
26-08-2013, 15:28
I ordered some computer parts (RAM) that could not be sourced here. They cost £16.60 + vat. Unfortunately, they have arrived via DHL (carriage charge of £9.99 + vat) who now want to charge 2.6 Euro IGIC (which is fine) but also 22.36 + IGIC for administration. I have refused to pay and are now questioning this excessive charge with DHL in the UK. I may 'loose' this delivery but to be honest it's cheaper for me to buy again, with free delivery to a UK address, then use standard Royal Mail for delivery to me here (or wait for friend to come across on holiday).

Will let all members know how I get on with DHL in the UK.

timmylish
27-08-2013, 00:23
I am amazed that you are unable to get any computer parts here on Tenerife. I concede that they may be slightly more expensive but you can get everything you would want in Santa Cruz.

poolside
27-08-2013, 10:35
I am amazed that you are unable to get any computer parts here on Tenerife. I concede that they may be slightly more expensive but you can get everything you would want in Santa Cruz.

No problems getting parts in general here but not what I needed in this particular case. It's a 2003 laptop and the RAM needed (200 Pin Dimm - SDRAM - 2.5V - DDR - PC2700 (PC-333) -Non-ECC - 512MB Module) is not used anymore in today's equipment and therefore not widely available, so got it from UK.

I've walked the streets of Santa Cruz before trying to find stuff - no thanks.

timmylish
27-08-2013, 12:59
No problems getting parts in general here but not what I needed in this particular case. It's a 2003 laptop and the RAM needed (200 Pin Dimm - SDRAM - 2.5V - DDR - PC2700 (PC-333) -Non-ECC - 512MB Module) is not used anymore in today's equipment and therefore not widely available, so got it from UK.

I've walked the streets of Santa Cruz before trying to find stuff - no thanks.

Don,t know if you tried them but SysWer in SC may help you in the future. Also, in one of the nearby streets there is a secong hand IT shop which has all sorts. Cannot offer any info where they are now! Sorry!