PDA

View Full Version : Other How do you keep cool?

sunseeker
16-08-2013, 00:02
Cor it's hot. Does anyone have any tips for keeping cool? I heard licking your wrists cools you down and it seems to work a bit. I'd like to hear any other ideas though, as I can't bear to be outdoors in the day or indoors at night :(

karinagal
16-08-2013, 00:23
An ice cold towel or face cloth applied to the back of the neck works well...

sunseeker
16-08-2013, 00:36
Last night I wore a wet tshirt to bed.

princessmonika
16-08-2013, 05:21
put the air con on

waveydavey
16-08-2013, 08:23
Well said.

Malteser Monkey
16-08-2013, 08:41
Last night I wore a wet tshirt to bed.

Did you have to.... you know what the blokes are like on here :cheeky:

Drink plenty of nice cold wine - then you'll forget how warm you are....:cheers2:

LUCKY
16-08-2013, 09:00
i cured the problem of the heat ........................ i moved to yorkshire :flatcap:

Bobby
16-08-2013, 09:16
I find the best way of keeping cool is to stay off certain threads!

sunseeker
16-08-2013, 09:26
put the air con on

and if you don't have aircon of cant afford the extra electric costs to run it?

danno
16-08-2013, 09:36
Sunseeker but cant stand the heat LOL
Cold showers are good

canarybird
16-08-2013, 09:39
Put both forearms under the cold water tap and let the cool water run over your inner elbows, wrists and hands. Immediate relief.

princessmonika
16-08-2013, 12:10
drink less beer and put the air con on -- does not cost so much if you dont' leave it on all day --1 hour will do the trick and keep doors and windows closed:cheers::sunshine:

ribuck
16-08-2013, 12:21
1. Wear light-coloured clothing during the day. Dark clothing absorbs much more radiant heat.
2. Stay in the shade during the day, but in the breeze.
3. During the day, be fastidious about closing your apartment curtains whenever the sun shines on them, and opening your curtains whenever direct sunshine does not fall on them. The reason for this is to stop heat being accumulated by the thermal mass of your apartment (i.e. the concrete) from which it would be released during the night.
4. Take a cool shower before bed.
5. Sleep naked under a thin sheet, and make sure that there's no warm underbedding.
6. If you're still not cool enough at night, put some cold-water-bottles in your bed. Just fill some plastic bottles with cold water and ice, and cover the bottles with socks.

princessmonika
16-08-2013, 12:29
that is too much like hard work -- and the ice water will be warm in no time -- but keep the curtains closed yes-- light clothing yes - cold shower no good warm is better - sleep naked yes -well best is move to the north pool only joking:)

KirstyJay
16-08-2013, 13:09
drink less beer and put the air con onI'm interested why you say drink less beer. :confused: what does that do then ??? I always put a bottle of frozen water in front of the fan. :)

Last night my kids used a bottle of frozen water wrapped in a towel as a 'cold water bottle' :D

YOUNG GOLFER
16-08-2013, 13:16
Spend parts of the day in a shopping center, cinema , supermarket were it will be cool.
Avoid caffeine and alcohol as these will promote dehydration.
Combat dehydration by drinking plenty of water along with sports drinks or other sources of electrolytes.
Take frequent baths or showers with cool or tepid water.
A fan will circulate warm air we all know that but before bed take a shower and the fan will help.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I'm interested why you say drink less beer. :confused: what does that do then ??? I always put a bottle of frozen water in front of the fan. :)

Last night my kids used a bottle of frozen water wrapped in a towel as a 'cold water bottle' :D

Drink less beer to avoid dehydration my dear.

Angusjim
16-08-2013, 13:18
Spend parts of the day in a shopping center, cinema , supermarket were it will be cool.
Avoid caffeine and alcohol as these will promote dehydration.
Combat dehydration by drinking plenty of water along with sports drinks or other sources of electrolytes.
Take frequent baths or showers with cool or tepid water.
A fan will circulate warm air we all know that but before bed take a shower and the fan will help.

Or just man up and get on we it :banana::scotland:

Malteser Monkey
16-08-2013, 13:27
Put both forearms under the cold water tap and let the cool water run over your inner elbows, wrists and hands. Immediate relief.

Taking care not to get the bingo wings damp !:lol:

Not you CB of course :D

I'm interested why you say drink less beer. :confused: what does that do then ??? I always put a bottle of frozen water in front of the fan. :)

Drink less beer save money for the air con !!! come on guys:doh::D

Jim you shoulda got that one:wink::scotland:

YOUNG GOLFER
16-08-2013, 13:32
Or just man up and get on we it :banana::scotland:

How to keep cool.............. watch footie.

ENGLAND 3 scotland 2:fpull::fpull::fpull::fpull::fpull::fpull::fpull: :fpull::fpull::fpull::fpull::fpull::fpull::fpull:: welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

Malteser Monkey
16-08-2013, 13:37

ENGLAND 3 scotland 2:fpull::fpull::fpull::fpull::fpull::fpull::fpull: :fpull::fpull::fpull::fpull::fpull::fpull::fpull:: welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

I concur,,,,,,,,,,,

Angusjim
16-08-2013, 13:39

I am remaining very cool under the constant barrage of Racisist remarks that I have to endure from you and the London / Welsh bird you know the goggy one:bootyshake: any way I did reply to the match result in the appropriate thread:hello:

Bhamannette
16-08-2013, 13:41
ice cubes on your pulse points, wrists etc or cold shower then air dry

Malteser Monkey
16-08-2013, 14:13

pulse points hmmmm

LUCKY
16-08-2013, 15:33

pulse points hmmmm
Nay the only place for ice cubes Monkey is in youre drink.:wine:
:feret::feret::feret::feret:

Malteser Monkey
16-08-2013, 15:41
Nay the only place for ice cubes Monkey is in youre drink.:wine:
:feret::feret::feret::feret:

Si Si Seņor and will be in about 2 hours time:cheers2:

chifleta
16-08-2013, 17:53
Cor it's hot. Does anyone have any tips for keeping cool? I heard licking your wrists cools you down and it seems to work a bit. I'd like to hear any other ideas though, as I can't bear to be outdoors in the day or indoors at night :(

licking your wrists? bwahahaha omg that's made my day .... when my son was younger and had a blocked up nose i'd wet my fingers and wipe them on his nose, gross, but works :lol:

I use a very damp cloth and pass it up legs and arms, or I have a water spray bottle and I spray myself and lie under the fan, it's bliss .... the spray bottle is my best friend at this time of the year.... 4989 I take it to bed with me .... just watch out for cramping calf muscles up accidently hehehe

slodgedad
16-08-2013, 19:49
Wearing decent jeans and fashionable tops helps.

chifleta
16-08-2013, 19:59
Ohhh, a dip in the sea after 6pm and a cold shower as soon as you get home cools the old bones down for the evening too :swimming::shark:

warbey
16-08-2013, 20:46
A business Idea.

Why not have a refrigeration Plant and Radiators to circulate the very cold water.?

Should work well...?

Call it central cooling..........................

sunseeker
17-08-2013, 00:45
Wearing decent jeans and fashionable tops helps.

Jajajajajajaja. I like that one. :D

To whoever suggested drinking less beer, I can't afford beer either, so it won't effect my ability to afford aircon. If your suggesting I'm a pisshead, it's not correct. Chance would be a fine thing. That's why I asked the question. To find ways of getting cool in this heat without aircon.

chifleta
17-08-2013, 14:57
A business Idea.

Why not have a refrigeration Plant and Radiators to circulate the very cold water.?

Should work well...?

Call it central cooling..........................

we're in Tenerife on Tenerife wages (or dole, or lack of in my case now) and that costs money... the water spray and a fan works well enough ;)

Oh, my friend suggested wetting your top sheep and wringing it and lying it over your body in front of fan.... "un idea a lo bestia" hehehe

primrose
17-08-2013, 15:21
we're in Tenerife on Tenerife wages (or dole, or lack of in my case now) and that costs money... the water spray and a fan works well enough ;)

Oh, my friend suggested wetting your top sheep and wringing it and lying it over your body in front of fan.... "un idea a lo bestia" hehehe[/QUOTE

How do you wring a sheep out?

[QUOTE=chifleta;311070]we're in Tenerife on Tenerife wages (or dole, or lack of in my case now) and that costs money... the water spray and a fan works well enough ;)

Oh, my friend suggested wetting your top sheep and wringing it and lying it over your body in front of fan.... "un idea a lo bestia" hehehe

nicki
17-08-2013, 15:30
if all else fails i tell myself over and over and over and over that it is colder then yesterday, repeat daily
:spin:

tracey
17-08-2013, 19:49
stay in the pool day and night :)

sunseeker
18-08-2013, 19:20
stay in the pool day and night :)

Isn't there a chance of drowning while asleep?

chifleta
18-08-2013, 21:25
[QUOTE=chifleta;311070]we're in Tenerife on Tenerife wages (or dole, or lack of in my case now) and that costs money... the water spray and a fan works well enough ;)

Oh, my friend suggested wetting your top sheep and wringing it and lying it over your body in front of fan.... "un idea a lo bestia" hehehe[/QUOTE

OMG major typo BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :grufalo: that for the Welsh to keep them warm in winter HAHAHA

Oh another friend always says drink a cup of tea, because the tea is hot and your body then works overtime to cool you down.......... never works for me, just makes me get hot flushes LOL

tracey
18-08-2013, 21:33
Isn't there a chance of drowning while asleep?

No. I am a witch so I float! lol

TOPGUN77
18-08-2013, 22:17
Air con is your best friend and with the new invertor models they are 30% cheaper to run,just had mine fitted and boy well worth the cost .Other ways to keep cool is splash your face in cold water and stick a fan on works a treat.