PDA

View Full Version : Other Are there many bees and wasps in Tenerife?

Esskay
18-08-2013, 12:39
Hi

I have a serious bee and wasp phobia. Could you please tell me what I can expect when I arrive on Tuesday? Do you have different varieties over there that might somehow spook me slightly less? Or do you have monster wasps that will have me going out armed with a flamethrower? :D

I'm 6'2" and 18 stone, but a wasp can easily have me running down the street :D

Ta
SK

marbro8
18-08-2013, 12:49
Hi

I have a serious bee and wasp phobia. Could you please tell me what I can expect when I arrive on Tuesday? Do you have different varieties over there that might somehow spook me slightly less? Or do you have monster wasps that will have me going out armed with a flamethrower? :D

I'm 6'2" and 18 stone, but a wasp can easily have me running down the street :D

Ta
SK:laugh: they have wasps the size of bats over there mate:wow:, i would seriously think twice about going and send me your flight and accommodation tickets, i will pm u my details :lol:;)

TOTO 99
18-08-2013, 12:51
Will you be getting a taxi from the airport or going on the Buzz.....:laugh:

junglejim
18-08-2013, 13:00
Wasps here tend to be pretty small and sparse , Timeshare Reps on the other hand can be really difficult to get rid of - I would bring the flamethrower !

Malteser Monkey
18-08-2013, 13:07
I'm with you - petrified of them and have you seen the size of them here in UK at the mo - I swear they grow bigger every year ! I run a mile too

Now I spent 10 years in Tenerife and I can't recall ever seeing any ?? Flies and cockroaches yes

I would say it's the last thing to worry about seriously !

Just enjoy it

Is it your first visit then ??

TOTO 99
18-08-2013, 13:09
I'm with you - petrified of them and have you seen the size of them here in UK at the mo - I swear they grow bigger every year ! I run a mile too

Now I spent 10 years in Tenerife and I can't recall ever seeing any ?? Flies and cockroaches yes

I would say it's the last thing to worry about seriously !

Just enjoy it

Is it your first visit then ??

Oh you've definitely seen some flies in your time luvvy....:laugh:

Malteser Monkey
18-08-2013, 13:16
Oh you've definitely seen some flies in your time luvvy....:laugh:

:crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughin g::crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaughing::crylaugh ing::crylaughing:

Good job OH just gone to golf or he would ask me why I was laughing so

ameal4two
18-08-2013, 13:30
We do have them here,like anywhere,large black and red aka potter or paper hornet ,they look nasty just don't upset them have a good holiday mate

Esskay
18-08-2013, 13:54
Thanks for the reassurances! And yes, I've seen some monster wasps over here in the UK this year. I wasn't sad to read on the news that the wasp population is very low this year because of the early warm weather and then the cold snap killed them off.

I can just about manage to deal with a bee in the house, I don't like harming those - but wasps are a different kettle of fish. :D

See you on Tuesday. I'll be the one wearing a full bee-keepers suit. :crazy:

Malteser Monkey
18-08-2013, 14:10
Thanks for the reassurances! And yes, I've seen some monster wasps over here in the UK this year. I wasn't sad to read on the news that the wasp population is very low this year because of the early warm weather and then the cold snap killed them off.

I can just about manage to deal with a bee in the house, I don't like harming those - but wasps are a different kettle of fish. :D

See you on Tuesday. I'll be the one wearing a full bee-keepers suit. :crazy:

Have a great time, if you don't mind letting us have a report when you get back it's always interesting reading

TOTO 99
18-08-2013, 14:19
Interesting reading........

Suej
18-08-2013, 14:26
Don't worry about the wasps the humungous Robber flies eat most of them! here's a robber fly having lunch (a bee) in my garden!:eyebrows:4992

Don't worry! not many wasps or bees here! Enjoy your holiday!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Buzz off Toto!:neener:

Esskay
18-08-2013, 14:57
Have a great time, if you don't mind letting us have a report when you get back it's always interesting reading

Thanks. A full report, including wasp activity, will follow. We're staying at the Hotel Fanabe (I think) in Adeje. We were last there about 17 years ago, in PDLA, so I'm guessing the whole area will have changed since then! Back then it was just the two of us, and we were there for the sun, sand and beer. Now things are different, I'm old, bald, we got married and we have two kids.

And I still kick myself for not buying one of the apartments that we saw advertised for £19k back then, right on the sea front!

Pooh
18-08-2013, 15:11
Never seen a wasp here. Lots of bees, yes, but they stay on the flowers in our garden and don't bother anyone.
Not like wasps which often tend to come to the table when you eat, looking for food. Never experienced that here.

Suej
18-08-2013, 15:15
Never seen a wasp here. Lots of bees, yes, but they stay on the flowers in our garden and don't bother anyone.
Not like wasps which often tend to come to the table when you eat, looking for food. Never experienced that here.

I call them Lookie Lookie wasps!:eyebrows: