PDA

View Full Version : Health What options are there for care for the English speaking elderly?

webewitch
21-08-2013, 16:40
My mother is now 81 and it's becoming increasingly clear that she is going to either need daily assistance visits or find a nice home for the elderly.

I'd appreciate some suggestions and contacts.

Thanks.

Goldenmaniac
21-08-2013, 17:04
I have heard good reports about these people http://www.tenerifenursingandcare.com/ first hand from one of my clients who needed home help for her husband

primrose
21-08-2013, 17:20
I have heard good reports about these people http://www.tenerifenursingandcare.com/ first hand from one of my clients who needed home help for her husband

You won't find anybody better.Lovely people.

Bobby
21-08-2013, 17:57
I'm sorry that I cannot contribute much to this thread but I have had a dear friend in accommodation in the UK and she has recently passed away and I was paying Ģ1700 per month for her stay. How does this compare with Tenerife?

canarybird
21-08-2013, 19:32
Residencia Davida is a lovely looking place. (http://www.residenciadavida.com/)

I've been inside and had a look around this place and it is bright, modern and is in a quiet corner of La Paz. I would recommend it from what I saw.

The price would be around what you quoted Bobby, but I guess it depends on the mobility and care needed for the elderly person. I believe I heard €2,000 per month mentioned.

Megaloo
22-08-2013, 08:39
I also found this other one in the North when looking

http://www.espana-spain.com/privilegium/privilegium_san_fernando.htm

tracey
22-08-2013, 10:19
Helen is a qualified nurse. Domestic and personal care at home. Call: 650855622

anto3
22-08-2013, 14:08
Had a friend who worked for one of these places in Tenerife and got sacked for giving the old people to many cups of tea. If I had family in one of these places I would have a little camera stuck some were. Saw a lot of things going on in these place and sorry I never reported it.

fonica
22-08-2013, 14:13
There has been some info in the news recently about the lack of inspections for residential care homes for the elderly.There should be a new inspection scheme coming into being in the next few...........??Tenerife Nursing and Care seems to have moved its premises every year or two so you would have to ask about its registration if you wanted residential care for your mother.

primrose
22-08-2013, 14:28
Can only say that I have has dealings with them and they were great.

deepdivejunkie
22-08-2013, 14:59
Please see http://www.homecaretenerife.eu/
Send an email for any information you require. References are freely available on the website via "Testimonials" link.

fonica
22-08-2013, 17:04
Can only say that I have has dealings with them and they were great.

Hi Primrose,I wasn't casting doubt on the care, only the legalities.I can't even start to imagine how difficult it is to get a legal registration here but having visited many care homes in the UK,when my mother in law needed care,I know how difficult it is to find a really good place.They say "be nice to your kids because they chose your residential care"
The home that we finally chose for my mum in law was amazing and well worth the effort involved but some of the places have given me nightmares ever since.

sunseeker
22-08-2013, 18:51
Please see http://www.homecaretenerife.eu/
Send an email for any information you require. References are freely available on the website via "Testimonials" link.

I wouldn't trust testimonials on a website. I'm not saying there bad or good but I'd speak to actual clients cos many company's just make them up.

deepdivejunkie
22-08-2013, 19:30
I wouldn't trust testimonials on a website. I'm not saying there bad or good but I'd speak to actual clients cos many company's just make them up.

Maybe not, but these are actual clients. email addresses are supplied. Nothing made up here.

caretenerife
22-08-2013, 20:07
I have sent you a pm

webewitch
23-08-2013, 23:23
Thanks for all the info folks - much appreciated.

On another related matter there is a company or service in Tenerife that installs a kind of medical hotline emergency phone system complete with dongles for the user to wear which can buzz or alert the medicos if there's a problem.
My mother used to have this system but she dispensed with it a while ago and doesn't remember anything about it.
Can anyone help me in this ?

sunseeker
24-08-2013, 00:02
Maybe not, but these are actual clients. email addresses are supplied. Nothing made up here.

I wasn't saying you had made it up. Just that you should always double check testimonials

caretenerife
24-08-2013, 01:09
Yes we can supply the phones and provide the service 24 hours a day

woolli
25-08-2013, 20:19
There has been some info in the news recently about the lack of inspections for residential care homes for the elderly.There should be a new inspection scheme coming into being in the next few...........??Tenerife Nursing and Care seems to have moved its premises every year or two so you would have to ask about its registration if you wanted residential care for your mother.
S, I think you have to watch this one. Very anti-English with regards to my daughter, not knowing the full story, and looks like she is now trying to have a go at your business, which, by all accounts, is the best in Tenerife for British residents.
Fonica, would you like a meeting to clear the air?

fonica
25-08-2013, 23:31
S, I think you have to watch this one. Very anti-English with regards to my daughter, not knowing the full story, and looks like she is now trying to have a go at your business, which, by all accounts, is the best in Tenerife for British residents.
Fonica, would you like a meeting to clear the air?

It's amusing that when posting on this forum (yes it's a forum) where people are supposed to voice an opinion, that there is often this kind of comment from Mr.Woolli. Why would I be trying to have a go at these peoples’ business? I posted that they had moved premises several times and in my opinion if you are going to place a vulnerable 80+ year old relative in a home then you would want to check all available information. I made it clear that I wasn't commenting on the standard of care of which I know nothing. I hope my family will check out the legalities of the home that they eventually find for me although I think they will just be pleased to find somewhere that accepts me!!
With regards to your comment that I made an anti-English reply to your post regarding your daughter I would only say that I've spent many years here and I really dislike people who try to blame racism for them not getting what they want. This would apply to people who do the same in the UK. I fully explained my reasons for my reply and explained that I know many local kids who haven't yet got the placing that they wanted, I also explained why due to the rapid turnaround in British kids starting and leaving schools on the island, this may make the authorities think about placing these children at the end of the school year rather than waiting to see if they are still here in September. I didn't know that I would have to arrange meetings to explain my opinions on the forum. If you don't like them please feel free to ignore them.

woolli
26-08-2013, 08:01
Fonica, you are right, forums are about opinions, but your post did look like you were try to discredited a business which as got a good reputation. Whatever your concerns, why dont you pm them and find more out before opening your mouth. Try to get the full facts first, then you wouldnt leave yourself open to any sort of questioning.

TOTO 99
26-08-2013, 08:27
Fonica, you are right, forums are about opinions, but your post did look like you were try to discredited a business which as got a good reputation. Whatever your concerns, why dont you pm them and find more out before opening your mouth. Try to get the full facts first, then you wouldnt leave yourself open to any sort of questioning.

Come on Woolli, You're out of order with this post.

Everyone's allowed an opinion on here. You don't have to agree with it. No need for nastiness.

fonica
26-08-2013, 09:15

Woolli,the poster asked for information and the only information that I had was given.I would be checking it out with every known authority before placing an elderly relative in a care home.I made it more than clear that I knew nothing about the standard of care leaving the poster to check out other posts and testamonials.I would be concerned if any business was having to move premises frequently and if there is a good reason for this then the owners of the home can provide it when an enquiry is made.Your bullying posts are exactly why people chose not to attempt to give advice on the forum and may go some way to explaining why you don't always get your own way with the Canarian Authorites.

casabonny
26-08-2013, 12:09
I know nothing about this company , other than it has moved several times, which to my mind is a little suspicious as surely you would want stability and would look for somewhere that was big enough for potential expansion , safe and accessible before either renting or buying?
It appears , as I have experienced of late, that if certain people don't like what you say , they are rude in their replies. There is no need for that, just reply be polite but firm in your opinions and if its facts you quote make sure you have the evidence to back it up and then there is no problem SIMPLES .!
On that note I am glad that I do no longer have any elderly parents to consider LOL .Come on folks , its a forum for goodness sake, you cant please all of the people all of the time.

woolli
26-08-2013, 12:35
Woolli,the poster asked for information and the only information that I had was given.I would be checking it out with every known authority before placing an elderly relative in a care home.I made it more than clear that I knew nothing about the standard of care leaving the poster to check out other posts and testamonials.I would be concerned if any business was having to move premises frequently and if there is a good reason for this then the owners of the home can provide it when an enquiry is made.Your bullying posts are exactly why people chose not to attempt to give advice on the forum and may go some way to explaining why you don't always get your own way with the Canarian Authorites.
First of all my apologies if you thought i was bullying, that was not my intention, I just get infuriated when people dont get the facts right before posting. Again apologies.

fonica
26-08-2013, 12:37
First of all my apologies if you thought i was bullying, that was not my intention, I just get infuriated when people dont get the facts right before posting. Again apologies.

OK no probs,just the hot weather!!!!!

Andy0210
26-08-2013, 21:19
I love how people can come on here and cast assumptions about the legalities of a business for the world and his dad to see, this is a static care home, to my knowledge at least 14 permanent residents, countless more people needing care in the Community who they cater for, numerous permanent staff, what do you think happens when the work inspectors turn up ???
They bundle the old people into a cupboard or the cellar and the staff pretend they are tourists ???
This company has radio adverts, a website, a signwritten vehicle and is one of the most well known businesses on the Island that has been trading for nigh on 10 years.....

GET REAL DOUBTERS!!!!!!!

Suddenly remembered why I donīt come on here that often now.

fonica
26-08-2013, 23:00
I love how people can come on here and cast assumptions about the legalities of a business for the world and his dad to see, this is a static care home, to my knowledge at least 14 permanent residents, countless more people needing care in the Community who they cater for, numerous permanent staff, what do you think happens when the work inspectors turn up ???
They bundle the old people into a cupboard or the cellar and the staff pretend they are tourists ???
This company has radio adverts, a website, a signwritten vehicle and is one of the most well known businesses on the Island that has been trading for nigh on 10 years.....

GET REAL DOUBTERS!!!!!!!

Suddenly remembered why I donīt come on here that often now.
Sorry Andy,I don't think anyone has cast doubts as to the care offered by these people.The only point raised in answer to a post asking for information,was that the residential side of this company had made several moves over the last few years.Is that in doubt? As was also said ,it may be because it is almost impossible to get a propertyto rent that would be accepted as suitable for a residential care home by the local authorities.This is a forum and I'm sure that the original poster would be delighted to hear that there was and is a good reason for this.I don't think anybody is trying to cause harm.

timmylish
26-08-2013, 23:28
Must confess that i had hoped this thread would have ended up with good info for people, like myself, who are on the wrong side of 60 with no children/grand children resident on the Island. This has been a real concern form me in knowing what I shall have to do when I,m not able to do what i shall have to do! In Scotland my Grandchildren found really great accommodation (nursing home?) for their elderly relatives. In fact one of these "homes" was positioned right at the southern side of the Forth Bridges, which must have been lovely. The problem here, for elderly Brits who do not have a substantive pension or the like, is gonna be the very high cost of the only care apparently available anywhere on the Island.

fonica
27-08-2013, 10:01
Must confess that i had hoped this thread would have ended up with good info for people, like myself, who are on the wrong side of 60 with no children/grand children resident on the Island. This has been a real concern form me in knowing what I shall have to do when I’m not able to do what i shall have to do! In Scotland my Grandchildren found really great accommodation (nursing home?) for their elderly relatives. In fact one of these "homes" was positioned right at the southern side of the Forth Bridges, which must have been lovely. The problem here, for elderly Brits who do not have a substantive pension or the like, is gonna be the very high cost of the only care apparently available anywhere on the Island.
Me too Timmylish.So many of these threads that could be helpful end up as slanging matches when all posters want is information. If there is a good residential care home in the south of the island that is legal and licensed by the authorities than we should know about it and support it.

timmylish
27-08-2013, 12:55
Me too Timmylish.So many of these threads that could be helpful end up as slanging matches when all posters want is information. If there is a good residential care home in the south of the island that is legal and licensed by the authorities than we should know about it and support it.

And is affordable!