PDA

View Full Version : Internet is Fiber Optic available in South Tenerife / Which areas have realistic 10Mbit ADSL?

Mparts
23-08-2013, 22:03
I've heard some areas of Los Cristianos / Las Americas might have fiber available, this site http://www.onocanarias.es/ advertises it, however is giving no particular details as to what areas the service might be provided to.
Would appreciate more info about this if anyone on the forum knows.

Planning to rent long term and such information would help me greatly, considering areas of search.

Alternatively, would also greatly appreciate if anyone can advise which Los Cristianos/Las americas areas/apartment complexes can get ADSL at real 10Mbit speed. Also which areas / complexes to potentially avoid as I'm aware many are getting 3MB or even 1MB due to large distances to "exchange" or poor phone line qualities overall in certain areas or specific complexes.

Thank you in advance, looking forward to any insight!

slodgedad
23-08-2013, 22:56
post thread seems broken, text disappeared there after small edit
It auto modded because of the link.

Mparts
23-08-2013, 22:58
ty very much for fixing :)

TenerifeTeddy
24-08-2013, 09:15
From my callouts around the south of Tenerife I am not aware of any areas that get 10mb, the highest I have seen is around 8mb. Though I am quite happy to be corrected on this.

A Fibre Optic line was laid as far as the Adeje roundabout a year ago, but AFAIK, it has not been connected to anything yet. You can see the trough in the road surface all along the TF1.

High speed 100mb broadband is available in parts of La Laguna and Santa Cruz I believe.

In Callao where I live, at the top of the road speeds can be 5.5Mb down to 0.6mb in other parts of the village. I know many people who simply can't get an ADSL connection.

As you say it is very much to do with distance from the exchange, availability of connections, number of connections per node, and infrastructure quality. If a high download speed is important to you then you need to look around carefully.

Mparts
24-08-2013, 15:38
Many thanks for the information, TenerifeTeddy!
I'm wondering is there any way to find out which locations those exchanges are to have at least general idea which areas are likely to have faster speed.
Any chance you could recall a few residential buildings that had 8Mbit in Los Cris or las Americas/Adeje?

A Movistar technic which was installing DSL in the apartment I was renting back in 2011 mentioned there was Fiber optic in some part of los Cristianos or a specific building (might have been a commercial building he was talking about, can't quite recall now). I was hoping the broadband situation improved since then :)

Muppet
24-08-2013, 15:54
Almost impossible to answer your question and lines do not always route to the nearest exchange. The only real way to find out what can be offered is to use the existing landline number to a particular building / apartment and see what comes up

Go to this page

http://www.movistar.es/particulares/

Put in landline number and see what you are offered.