PDA

View Full Version : Other Where can I get a delicious salad around the Golf del Sur?

lynnangela
25-08-2013, 19:22
We are staying on Golf del Sur and generally eat on GDS, Los Abrigos, Las Galletas and El Medano. Im looking for a restaurant that does a good salad.

Most restaurants ive tried seem to serve a fairly decent basic salad that would go with a main meal , but I want a main meal interesting salad. can anyone recommend anything?

karinagal
25-08-2013, 19:48
I'm not a fan of salad per se but on a recent meal out at Tapas'n'Chill next to Volare in GDS, my friends had a salad dish which looked tasty and filling...

lynnangela
25-08-2013, 21:26
Thanks Karinagal. What part of GDS is Tapas'n'chill, is it along by Volcanic Isles restauraunt? or it is on the san blas commercial centre?

karinagal
26-08-2013, 00:05
It's next to the Aguamarina apartments on the path down towards the sea and the marina. Across from The Wild Geese...

lynnangela
26-08-2013, 10:38
oh thank you I think I know where that is now. Hopefully they are open Mondays as I will try that tonight! :)

chifleta
26-08-2013, 16:44
Restaurante M on the seafront/wooden promenade walkway (if you have the plaza to your back, walk along to the right, it's about 5 restaurants along) ... they do lovely fruit brekkies, and huge varied salads for lunch, also salad wraps made in a crepe type wrap, yummyyyyyy ...........

ooops Edit... in Medano ;)

lynnangela
26-08-2013, 16:50
Thanks chifleta, I love restaurante M for their wraps, very delicious! I dont think they are open evenings though? Im looking for somewhere to eat out in the evenings, but if we are El Medano during the day for lunch I will try to wrench myself away from having a wrap and try their salad.

chifleta
26-08-2013, 16:56
you're right, I think they close at 6pm..... shame .... glad i'm on this thread now though as i'm always keeping eye out for places that you can have a large salad as your main dish, as normally they are either very basic or way too small :)

Greg
26-08-2013, 22:26
Tapas bar do great salads and excellent food in general. My favourite is their chicken tikka salad, I often go out of my way to have one of them for lunch.

lynnangela
26-08-2013, 22:42
Is that the Tapas N Chill Greg? We made our way there tonight and the menu looked good, but decided against it at the last moment as there wasn't anything that hubby fancied on the menu. He isn't big on Tapas, or salad come to that..........

Anyway we ended up at Big Als just up the road. They have a few salads on their menu for €7.95 which is pretty reasonable. I plumped for the coronation chicken salad as I love coronation chicken. Well, the salad itself was really good it was all chopped up together, and had a lot of different elements and flavours, including some pineapple in there which worked quite well, there was also a small side of grated cheese and some coleslaw. The let down was the coronation chicken itself. It appeared to be a chargrilled piece of chicken breast chopped up and mixed with..........something.......im not sure what it was but, coronation sauce it most definitely was not.

It was completely devoid of any taste and seemed to sap any flavour out of the chicken itself. A kind of culinary black hole... hmmm. Anyway, I did eat some of it and hubby finished the rest by adding a large amount of mustard to it. The waitress to give her her due offered to take it back and give me something else, but I wasn't complaining to get a replacement I just wanted them to know it was a very odd and tasteless thing. It hasnt put me off going there again, as the actual salad part was delicious. Next time it will be tuna though, something safe.

Greg
27-08-2013, 12:50
No, it's just Tapas, it is in the street behind San Blas, also there is Gulivers Grillhouse and Taboos Italian. Tapas has got a pretty extensive menu,I would be very surprised if hubby couldn't find something he likes in there.

lynnangela
27-08-2013, 13:31
oh right I know the one, I will have to go have a look at their menu later. Is the salad they do fairly substantial? will it do as a main meal?

Acemike
27-08-2013, 14:26
Off the "Salad thingy"
The BBQ spare ribs in the Tapas bar in San Blas are to die for..V.good restaurant. Main meal or starter...

Sorry don't know about the Salads.

lynnangela
28-08-2013, 22:50
Tonight we went in Los Cristianos and had a meal at The House restaurant. It used to be known as the Coer de Filet some years ago, but then closed down. last year I think it was a Little Italy restaurant so we never bothered with it, but this year is reopened as The House restaurant. According to the waiter, the owners are from Coer de Filet days. Anyway they had a few salads on the menu, one in particular caught my eye which was the house cesar salad, which includes grilled chicken breast, prawns and bacon. Sounded delicious!

The salad itself was a classic cesar salad in that is was made up soley of shredded lettuce, with croutons parmesan shavings and some cesar sauce and topped with the chicken, prawns, crispy bacon and a smattering of black olives. I have to say it was utterly delicious and very filling and an excellent price at €6.75. The waiter will bring crusty bread, olives and ali oli to the table unless you ask them not to. They charge €1.20 per head for this, but the olives and the bread were so good I was tempted to order more. A glass of the very nice house red was €3.75 and a large beer €2.50 so I think the drinks were fairly reasonable for a restaurant.

Saltnpepper
29-08-2013, 00:14
Have you tried El Mirador restaurant at the top of Los Abrigos harbour, next to Los Abrigos Properties? They do lovely salads - our favourite which we have nearly every time we go is the one with smoked salmon & prawns, it's to die for & comes in a huge bowl! I think it's about 9 euros, bit pricy but it has all sorts of stuff in. They do cheaper ones too. Mmmm, could eat it right now ... sorry, I wanted to upload an image but it wouldn't let me, it's probably too big. But believe me, the salad is delicious, staff are friendly & you can either eat outside at tables overlooking the harbour, or in a conservatory. Really nice.

lynnangela
29-08-2013, 09:51
We've never eaten in the El Mirador, although we have passed it many times and heard good reports about it. That one will definitely go on my list of places to visit. In Los Abrigos we tend to eat at the Cangrejo Loco which is at the bottom of the harbour, or at the Maracay bar at the top, just along from the El Mirador.

On another subject, do you know Los Abrigos well? Just around the corner from Los Abrigos properties is a little bar facing the side of the Maracay. Last year is was run by Raul and Lewis, who are no longer there. Does anyone have any idea what happened to them? is Raul running another bar in Los Abrigos? We were gutted to find Raul gone as we spent a lot of time at his bar last year, he was a lovely guy and it would be good to catch up with again if he is still around.

chifleta
29-08-2013, 10:45
Tonight we went in Los Cristianos and had a meal at The House restaurant. It used to be known as the Coer de Filet some years ago, but then closed down. last year I think it was a Little Italy restaurant so we never bothered with it, but this year is reopened as The House restaurant. According to the waiter, the owners are from Coer de Filet days. Anyway they had a few salads on the menu, one in particular caught my eye which was the house cesar salad, which includes grilled chicken breast, prawns and bacon. Sounded delicious!

The salad itself was a classic cesar salad in that is was made up soley of shredded lettuce, with croutons parmesan shavings and some cesar sauce and topped with the chicken, prawns, crispy bacon and a smattering of black olives. I have to say it was utterly delicious and very filling and an excellent price at €6.75. The waiter will bring crusty bread, olives and ali oli to the table unless you ask them not to. They charge €1.20 per head for this, but the olives and the bread were so good I was tempted to order more. A glass of the very nice house red was €3.75 and a large beer €2.50 so I think the drinks were fairly reasonable for a restaurant.

Looks yummy, but major calories hahaha might as well go for an Indian lol.... did you see any of their other salads, at least it looked a good size, but just lettuce..

lynnangela
29-08-2013, 10:56
Next time I would defiantly ask them to serve the dressing on the side, and an addition of some tomato and onion would have been very welcome, so yes it probably was high cal for a salad but absolutely delicious :)

On the subject of indian food, maybe I should start another thread for the best Indian around, now THAT really is my favourite food..mmmmmm

chifleta
29-08-2013, 11:17
Lol there's already an Indian restaurant thread :) my fave too although not the curry or spicey recipes.... there used to be a good salad/pizza restaurant on galletas harbour but it's changed hands a while ago and I haven't been to try it out to see if they do bigger salads.

curlytop
30-08-2013, 10:31
El Mirador, Los Abrigos - Lovely salads, seafood and very friendly staff.

lynnangela
30-08-2013, 23:22
Tonight we went to the Cangrejo Loco in Los Abrigos, which is one of our favourite restaurants. They do 1 salad on their menu for €7.50 which is a basic salad but they then offer additional toppings, so I had seafood for an additional €1.50. The salad was absolutely delicious and very filling, there was no dressing on the salad as it was served which suits me, but it didn't really need any as the flavours were very good.

Tomorrow we are going to try the El Mirador in Los Abrigos

chifleta
31-08-2013, 10:34
That looks nice/different for a salad - i'm out for lunch with the gym girls today (oh and hubby is coming along, bless him, he loves a flirt) so it'll either be a tiny salad, or pizza HAHAHAHA not sure yet :) if I have salad and it's nice, i'll let you know...

lynnangela
31-08-2013, 14:37
mmmmmm pizza, if only lol. I can only dream about a pizza. I have to keep telling myself, salad is delicious, salad is delicious. Its my mantra......sigh....

chifleta
31-08-2013, 15:40
Me and hubby were good and just shared a pizza LOL. We ate in Valentinos pizzeria in Las Galletas next to the lottery place near the Galletas harbour!!

Salads aren't too bad actually, just under 7 euros for a salmon, rucula, tomato and toast with a cream cheese on. Not too small, but not huge. Service is a bit slow for me, but it's nice food.

lynnangela
31-08-2013, 16:45
ok that's sounds like somewhere I need to check out then. We are trying El Mirador tonight, so maybe Monday we will give Valentinos a whirl. Is it along the seafront? or the street behind? I don't know where the lottery place is, but I do know where the harbour is.

chifleta
31-08-2013, 16:57
it's second line.... on the row on the other side of the road from the fish market?!!

lynnangela
31-08-2013, 17:00
ok that's great thanks, I know where the fish market is :)

chifleta
31-08-2013, 17:04
they're right next to the cultural centre, and they are the restaurant that has the icecreams for sale too LOL

lynnangela
31-08-2013, 22:36
So tonight we went to the El Mirador in Los Abrigos. This is the first time we have ever eaten there, and its lovely inside, also I did not realise there was a terrace overlooking the sea accessed from the inside of the restaurant, so of course we sat out on the terrace to eat.

The food was very good, hubby had his usual chicken breast in a sauce, which in this instance was pepper sauce, with chips. I had the El Mirador salad. It was HUGE! and wonderful, full of prawns, smoked salmon, avocado, some kind of goats cheese I think, and drizzled with a lovely balsamic syrupy dressing. I also had a glass of red wine which was also huge and must have been best part of half a bottle judging by how drunk I felt by the time I had finished it. We started with a garlic bread and tomato, which was ok. My one small criticism would be that the staff are not very engaged. There were 4 kitchen staff and 3 or 4 waiters, with only 4 or 5 tables occupied, but the waiters did not seem overly interested and I had to go find one to get the bill for us. But I would definitely eat there again for the delicious salad. The salad was €9.80 and the glass of wine €3.50

chifleta
31-08-2013, 22:43
Now that looks like a yummy salad... how much was it? Avocados are nearly 6 euros a kilo at the moment lol