PDA

View Full Version : Employment Illegal workers in 3 out Of 10 bars and restaurants in the South

Goldenmaniac
26-08-2013, 09:53
According to José Trasobares de Dios, head of the Tenerife Provincial Labour and Social Security Inspectorate, over 28 per cent of the 880 hospitality industry premises inspected in the south of Tenerife had irregularities with their staff, which resulted in 252 contracts being set up retroactively.

The hotspots were in Adeje, Arona and Santiago del Teide, while Granadilla and Guía de Isora had less problems.

Trasobares de Dios told the Spanish press most irregularities are directly related to leisure, clubs, restaurants and bars, but it is “very rare to find anomalies in actual hotel establishments”

The Inspectorate head says ...read more (http://newsinthesun.com/illegal-workers-in-3-out-of-10-bars-and-restaurants/)

Right then let the discussion commence :)

KirstyJay
26-08-2013, 10:08
It doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

9PLUS
26-08-2013, 11:11
But you have to earn a contract.

Goldenmaniac
26-08-2013, 11:45
But you have to earn a contract. Well not legally you don't - that's what probationary periods are supposed to be for, but I do understand there's a significant investment involved in starting someone one who may not last, and so you have to go through the whole thing again.
Maybe the SS should make it easier to do an alta, so that small employers don't have to pay out huge amounts for assesor fees?

KirstyJay
26-08-2013, 11:55
Well not legally you don't - that's what probationary periods are supposed to be for, but I do understand there's a significant investment involved in starting someone one who may not last, and so you have to go through the whole thing again.
Maybe the SS should make it easier to do an alta, so that small employers don't have to pay out huge amounts for assesor fees?
That would certainly make it easier, wouldn't it. I am a firm believer that all workers need to be legal, because without legality you do not get your entitlement to health care and pension, but on the other hand the system is so bad because the costs to businesses regarding altas and bajas are prohibitive.

But then again, the ayuntamientos don't really go all-out to encourage new business either... do they!?

casabonny
26-08-2013, 11:59
This has always been the case and years ago when there were more bars etc the figures I am sure would have been much higher.
Its a , as you have said GM, a fairly costly exercise to set someone up on contract only to find that they cant or wont do the job!
The hospitality business is I am afraid the same the world over, look at how many bar staff in the UK working night or part time are being paid legally. I know from first hand experience that many publicans want to pay their staff on cash , off the books , so its no surprise that it happens here.
As you say GM if it was made easier and/or cheaper maybe more would do it but I have my doubts that would help. Those who do it probably are not doing much legally anyway !

Goldenmaniac
26-08-2013, 12:06
.....The hospitality business is I am afraid the same the world over, look at how many bar staff in the UK working night or part time are being paid legally. I know from first hand experience that many publicans want to pay their staff on cash , off the books , so its no surprise that it happens here....... ! The biggest difference here is as Kirsty pointed out, basically no work no health cover (I know there are exceptions to that but I'm talking in general terms) in the Uk health care and benefits are residence based of course.
I think if a worker "plays the game" and is prepared to go along with cash-in-hand OK that's up to them if they want to work illegally. What is awful is the guys who WANT to be properly employed but the employer won't do it and then they are scared of losing their income. How many times have we all heard that story :(

Carlos
26-08-2013, 13:25
It is not always the employer's fault, however. I know of several cases where full-time staff (in shops as well as bars) have specifically asked for 'very part-time' official contracts so as not to jeopardise benefits such as grants, free school books/lunches or whatever, and to pay less national insurance. They get the rest of their wages under the table. But then when their contract ends or they are dismissed, they kick up a fuss because their their dole money is so pitifully low (based on their official contributions). Can't have your cake and eat it.