PDA

View Full Version : What are the electricity cost for coffee machine?

gsc
29-08-2013, 09:24
I know one or two of you here are 'electrically minded' so can you help me out with this?

I am trying to decide whether to upgrade the coffee machine in the bar but I can't fathom out the cost of the electric, which my partner is concerned about.

At the moment we have a small 1.6kw capsule machine which only takes a few moments after turn on before you can use it. The new one would be 3.6kw, takes ground coffee and take about 30 minutes to start up, maintaining pressure while it's on. Both have heated tops for the cups.

I am trying to weigh up the benefit of better cheaper coffee against the increase in electric and space taken.

Your advice would be welcome.

lynnangela
29-08-2013, 10:12
Im not electrically minded and im just being curious (nosey in other words), but do you sell enough coffees in a day to justify the outlay?

For me, as a customer I tend to judge places on the quality of the coffee they serve. Take Big Als restaurant on GDS for instance. They do very good food at a reasonable price, but we rarely go there because the coffee they serve is just awful, and I find it unforgivable. A good coffee is a deal breaker for me, when you can go to a supermarket and get a fantastic coffee for around €1.25 why would I pay €2.50 for something I could make at home better.

What and where is your bar? when you get your new coffee machine installed Ill come and try it out!

gsc
29-08-2013, 10:38
Amigos in Los Abrigos. I already have the bigger machine from my last bar. Before I sell it I just want to be sure I don't regret it.

Personally I think capsule coffee never has the flavour of ground.

9PLUS
29-08-2013, 11:17
Simple if you look on your electricity bill you'll see how much you're charge per unit

For example if you are paying 15 cents per Kilowatt/h, 1KWh, (1000 watts/hour) and you run a 2KW for 1 hour.

The cost would be approximately 30 cents.

gsc
29-08-2013, 11:22
What I don't get is whether it runs at that rate all the time or whether that's it's max. What about when it's building the pressure and heating the plate? Won't that be the biggest usage? Will it be less once it's up to speed? And more when you actually do a coffee?

TOPGUN77
29-08-2013, 12:07
Hi I am an electrician and depending on what you pay for a kilowatt/hr will determine your actual bill.The coffee machine will not run at 3.6 kw all the time as the thermostat will switch of the supply once its up to temp,it all depends on how efficient the machine is.

gsc
05-09-2013, 14:57
Info much appreciated.