PDA

View Full Version : Unknown phone numbers at premium rate

warbey
29-08-2013, 20:25
I recently read a Message warning of People being asked to contact an Unknown Number. in Another Country/

This may well be a Premium Line costing literally Hundreds per MINUTE.

Please check before responding as Phone Companies won't want to know.....

karinagal
29-08-2013, 21:30
There is no such thing as a premium rate number costing hundreds of pounds per minute - the most they can cost from a landline is £1.50 per minute but mobile calls can cost up to £2 per minute.

See here:

http://www.which.co.uk/technology/phones/guides/cheap-alternatives-to-0870-and-0845-calls/premium-rate-and-other-call-costs/

Malteser Monkey
30-08-2013, 10:21
There is no such thing as a premium rate number costing hundreds of pounds per minute - the most they can cost from a landline is £1.50 per minute but mobile calls can cost up to £2 per minute.

See here:

http://www.which.co.uk/technology/phones/guides/cheap-alternatives-to-0870-and-0845-calls/premium-rate-and-other-call-costs/

I just scanned down to the 09 numbers as they are always portrayed to be the worst and it does say " the most you are likely to pay is 1.50" not definitely though

Warbs actually says though in another Country so who knows - I just ignore/delete any cr@p that comes on my email or phone better safe than sorry

karinagal
30-08-2013, 11:22
Even international calls are unlikely to cost more than £5 a minute...! I worked for BT for 29 years...

warbey
30-08-2013, 20:29
Even international calls are unlikely to cost more than £5 a minute...! I worked for BT for 29 years...

As Double M pointed out, this refers to Another Country. You don't have to believe it.!

All I tried to do was warn People........

karinagal
30-08-2013, 20:40
As Double M pointed out, this refers to Another Country. You don't have to believe it.!

All I tried to do was warn People........

And you're quite right to do so! It's just important that people are not panicked unnecessarily... I apologise if the tone of my reply came across as patronising - it really wasn't meant that way! I was still a bit riled with Facebook being swamped with people sharing the M3 hoax.. I just wish people who see these things would stop and google before sharing it!

As a rule of thumb, any 'story' which 'claims' to be verified by some police force and suggests that you pass it on to as many people as possible - is generally a hoax. The only thing it is guaranteed to achieve is to clutter up people's email servers!!

warbey
30-08-2013, 20:48
Which is why I only repeated the Essential Facts and Not the Codes...

Now, referring to What You used to do. Do I now get Shot......? or should I hold.?

karinagal
30-08-2013, 22:00
Which is why I only repeated the Essential Facts and Not the Codes...

Now, referring to What You used to do. Do I now get Shot......? or should I hold.?

LOL!! Nah, yer awright - that's what I USED to do... Divulging what I do NOW is the risky bit!! :p