PDA

View Full Version : Be aware that minors need a letter of permission to travel with accompanying adults

LeFrunk
30-08-2013, 17:28
Hi Folks , just back from 3 glorious weeks in Tenerife , we had a fantastic time . Weather was great . Just one thing to note tho , when we where going through Dublin airport going home I showed our passports , 6 of us , one person had a different name to ours so the passport control asked what age he was and what relationship he was to us. I said 15yrs old and a family friend . She went off the rails and said we must have a letter of permission from his parents and all that crap . So bear that in mind . The other thing was a 7yr old with hearing implants couldn't go through the scanner so the woman there said wheres the letter from his doctor to say he cant go through . Unbelievable or what . He eventually was brought to the side and searched . He doesn't look like an Al ki eida member , excuse the spelling. What has happened to common sense these days .

Suzanne
30-08-2013, 19:30
Similar thing happened earlier in the year with my son coming to Tenerife from Manchester with his step brother caused a lot of hassle so now he wont bring him with him when he comes to Tenerife.

Albatros
31-08-2013, 08:48
Sorry but what is your problem??? Rules apply to "EVERYBODY" blind,deaf one legged.one armed,black, white or whatever!!!
Just follow the rules and regulations and no problem????

I agree. The examples given seem perfectly sensible to me.

Ecky Thump
31-08-2013, 11:21
He doesn't look like an Al ki eida member , excuse the spelling. What has happened to common sense these days .

That's exactly what terrorist organisations rely on...people applying their own ideas of common sense!:nono:

Brian Lewis
31-08-2013, 11:35
Sorry but what is your problem??? Rules apply to "EVERYBODY" blind,deaf one legged.one armed,black, white or whatever!!!

Agree sensible rules

TOTO 99
31-08-2013, 11:44
I can't see anything wrong with the OP advising people of what can happen.

I do plenty of flying and I wouldn't have known I needed a letter from a parent if one of my kids took a friend with us.

No need to jump down the OP's throat....:respect:

Ecky Thump
31-08-2013, 12:08
I can't see anything wrong with the OP advising people of what can happen.

I do plenty of flying and I wouldn't have known I needed a letter from a parent if one of my kids took a friend with us.

No need to jump down the OP's throat....:respect:

It's not a case of people jumping down the OP's throat, as giving good advice can be helpful, but not when the person giving the advice relates it to terrorism.

Too many people have been killed and injured for us to rely on common sense, that's why the rules have to be strictly applied without exception, which at times can be upsetting/inconvenient to us, I would rather be inconvenienced by what appears to be a common sense issue than see people killed or injured.

karinagal
31-08-2013, 13:07
I have to admit, I might have been caught out with the family friend one - it is glaringly obvious to me now why it might pose an issue, especially if the child had been younger but I might not have thought to get a letter from the parents of a 15 year old.... We took our daughters friend on holiday with us to Portugal when the girls were around that age and I can't for the life of me remember if we took a letter from her parents... It was about 10 years ago mind...

Leam_Lin
31-08-2013, 13:44
Over 25 years ago married friends of ours with 2 children under 16, the wife was going on holiday to Australia with the 2 children, she had to wait for her husband to get a letter to her with permission for her to take the children out of the uk.

kathml
31-08-2013, 15:39
The safest airline in the world for a long time now is El Al where they rely on face to face with people who are properly trained
Am sorry but not impressed by security at Scottish airports I use mainly Edinburgh but have used Glasgow and prestwick and most of the time it's a farce carried out by badly trained underpaid people

Albatros
31-08-2013, 16:12
The safest airline in the world for a long time now is El Al where they rely on face to face with people who are properly trained
Am sorry but not impressed by security at Scottish airports I use mainly Edinburgh but have used Glasgow and prestwick and most of the time it's a farce carried out by badly trained underpaid people

You make an interesting observation. Is it backed up with facts? How many security incidents have managed to evade the security personnel at the Scottish airports?

What criteria is used to determine which airline is the safest?

As in all things in life, there are compromises. Can you imagine the rumpus if every single passenger on every single flight was given a thorough security screen prior to boarding their flight?

Going for maximum security at every opportunity means that the crazies have won. I don't want to believe that.

kathml
31-08-2013, 16:57
You make an interesting observation. Is it backed up with facts? How many security incidents have managed to evade the security personnel at the Scottish airports?

What criteria is used to determine which airline is the safest?

As in all things in life, there are compromises. Can you imagine the rumpus if every single passenger on every single flight was given a thorough security screen prior to boarding their flight?

Going for maximum security at every opportunity means that the crazies have won. I don't want to believe that.

You never know how many have managed to managed to evade security at any airport you will only get estimates which the authorities don't make public
If you base figures on drug seizures I think it is estimated that roughly one in ten get caught again the figures for those caught evading security are seldom revealed but basing it on drugs as one in ten if ten are stopped a hundred got through
One only has to see how much luggage goes missing every year to raise serious questions about security

Albatros
31-08-2013, 17:07
You never know how many have managed to managed to evade security at any airport you will only get estimates which the authorities don't make public
If you base figures on drug seizures I think it is estimated that roughly one in ten get caught again the figures for those caught evading security are seldom revealed but basing it on drugs as one in ten if ten are stopped a hundred got through
One only has to see how much luggage goes missing every year to raise serious questions about security

I don't equate drugs with serious security threats. I would like to think that their emphasis is on items and individuals posing a risk to our safety.

warbey
31-08-2013, 19:32
Some Years ago, I considered taking a Pal with Our Daughter on Holiday abroad.

I sometimes take quite some time weighing up the Pros and Cons.

In the Case of a Juvenile, being involved in an Accident, (does happen) Someone has to give

consent for Surgery. What happens then...?....?.....?

It could also be construed as Kidnap....? where the Parents are separated, and the Other One doesn't know about it.?

To be responsible, You need proper Authority in Writing to act as Person Responsible....

I'm a little shocked that this has occured to so Few...

delgirl
31-08-2013, 21:41
Evening all I had the same at TFS airport with my grandson. Thomson wouldn't let me fly home with him. Told me to ring daughter to go to the local police station and get them to fax a letter of authority through, said I would not do that at 11pm. So denied travel. Booked another night in Tenerife and flew home the next day with Monarch, no questions asked. Think rules have always ben there just not everyone implements them.

kathml
31-08-2013, 22:00
I don't equate drugs with serious security threats. I would like to think that their emphasis is on items and individuals posing a risk to our safety.

I was only using drugs as an example of how few they catch and most of them are amateurs do you honestly they stand much chance against serious well trained terrorists

As far as I'm aware it's authorities nil terrorists unknown quantity

LeFrunk
04-09-2013, 20:02

First of all andyfm , have you ever seen these rules or heard of them . We travellers don't know these things until they happen . Secndly , I don't have a problem . I was making forum members aware . Remember I did say that a 7yr old child was involved not an adult so the rules can be relaxed on occasions like that . Its still called COMMON SENSE .

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

It's not a case of people jumping down the OP's throat, as giving good advice can be helpful, but not when the person giving the advice relates it to terrorism.

Too many people have been killed and injured for us to rely on common sense, that's why the rules have to be strictly applied without exception, which at times can be upsetting/inconvenient to us, I would rather be inconvenienced by what appears to be a common sense issue than see people killed or injured.

Ecky , it was an off the cuff remark (Al Ki Aeda) , a 7yr old boy is a child not a adult . In my opinion it was ADVICE and I wasn't relating it to terrorism , catch a grip . But we now know the rules . Jobs worth , the frigin lot of them .

warbey
04-09-2013, 20:13
First of all andyfm , have you ever seen these rules or heard of them . We travellers don't know these things until they happen . Secndly , I don't have a problem . I was making forum members aware . Remember I did say that a 7yr old child was involved not an adult so the rules can be relaxed on occasions like that . Its still called COMMON SENSE .

My Brother was stationed in Germany.

His Child was in the U.K. at Boarding School.

To Fly unaccompanied London to Germany takes some arranging, with the Airline needing a Staff Member to care for Them

and handing over at the Other End also has to be done right.

None of Us knows ALL the Regulations, but because You cared enough

to Start this Thread, others now know a bit more, as perhaps You do too.

kathml
04-09-2013, 22:43
Rules are rules when it suits authority they are the first to break them when it suits them unfortunately in my view