PDA

View Full Version : Health What are the opening times of the emergency clinic in Los Cristianos?

karinskie
31-08-2013, 08:01
Does anybody know the opening days/times of the health centre opposite the bus station please?

chifleta
31-08-2013, 10:59
Hiya, It depends if it's your normal docs or not.... the emergency part downstairs I think runs from 8pm to 8am weekdays, and obviously over the weekend (all night) ... and then from 8am to 8pm it's normal doctors surgery hours. So if your emergency is during the day during the week, you have to go to the doctor that you're registered with.

karinskie
31-08-2013, 12:41
Your help is much appreciated Chifleta... Thank you!

chifleta
31-08-2013, 15:50
you're welcome, hope you're all sorted :)

essexeddie
31-08-2013, 17:16
Does anyone know if they speak English?

chifleta
31-08-2013, 17:19
you should always take a translator.... LOL it's like my doctor said to me yesterday, you wouldn't got to a doctors in England and expect them to speak Spanish!!! (I was at the doctors and the patients before me didn't speak enough Spanish to understand what they'd been told by the hospital, so he was a bit miffed)

karinskie
31-08-2013, 17:21
They don't as a rule speak English, however, the Dr I saw did! Having said that, the problem lies in getting thru the reception & nurse first (with language being a barrier), to get to the Dr... Luckily I had my phone & my Spanish speaking friend spoke to them for me : )

sunseeker
31-08-2013, 17:35
Does anyone know if they speak English?

Whether they speak English or not you should have a translator with you because legally they should tell you in Spanish to prevent any law suits. As someone else said, do English docs speak Spanish? On the wall in all health centres there's a sign that tells you to have a translator.

essexeddie
31-08-2013, 17:46
I know its a bit of a sore point with most people but the whole World speaks English but not Spanish.
I expect if I wave my insurance details in front of them out pops all the English speaking staff.
Our hospitals in the UK always seem to cope with hundreds of different languages with no problems, but there you go that's us.

sunseeker
31-08-2013, 17:50
I know its a bit of a sore point with most people but the whole World speaks English but not Spanish.
I expect if I wave my insurance details in front of them out pops all the English speaking staff.
Our hospitals in the UK always seem to cope with hundreds of different languages with no problems, but there you go that's us.

If you have insurance you should be going to the green clinic which is private and has translators on tap. ;)

karinskie
31-08-2013, 17:51
Sorry, but I have to disagree! Yes, English is the most widely spoken language in the world but it is followed by Spanish, which is the second most widely spoken language in the world!!! (However, I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong...)

sunseeker
31-08-2013, 17:53
Sorry, but I have to disagree! Yes, English is the most widely spoken language in the world but it is followed by Spanish, which is the second most widely spoken language in the world!!! (However, I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong...)

I think Chinese might be up there to

essexeddie
31-08-2013, 17:54
If you have insurance you should be going to the green clinic which is private and has translators on tap. ;)

I probably would as it happens.

warbey
31-08-2013, 18:33

Do You recommend this Clinic.?

sunseeker
31-08-2013, 18:35
Do You recommend this Clinic.?

I've not used it for 12 years, so I couldn't. But if you have insurance, you should be using that one or costa Adeje in the south, not the social doctors.

rosemary
31-08-2013, 19:17
We are talking about an emergency clinic located in the middle of one of the most well known tourist towns in Tenerife, full of English holidaymakers and residents. Do you think that the Spanish Medical services do not know this fact? Of course they do and the clinic should be able to speak basic English, or have at least one member of staff available who does.
Comparisons with clinics in the UK are NOT valid. I do not know of any such area in the UK that is so populated by Spanish holidaymakers and residents.
I do in fact know this clinic and have dealt with a very fine English speaking emergency doctor there. The ethos of requesting that residents with a social state doctor in the heavily touristic and English residenial areas in the south of the island either speak Spanish or have a translator, is a political gesture that is understandable, but is actually very unrealistic and the local authorities know this very well. It is upheld with notices in the clinics and requests for translators in the vain hope it will discourage English speakers from using the state medical services. They would infinitely prefer them to have private medical insurance. This policy is also based on the 'mis' conception that all the foreign people who come here to live are by definition wealthy, and all holidaymakers have travel insurance.

essexeddie
31-08-2013, 19:29
We are talking about an emergency clinic located in the middle of one of the most well known tourist towns in Tenerife, full of English holidaymakers and residents. Do you think that the Spanish Medical services do not know this fact? Of course they do and the clinic should be able to speak basic English, or have at least one member of staff available who does.
Comparisons with clinics in the UK are NOT valid. I do not know of any such area in the UK that is so populated by Spanish holidaymakers and residents.
I do in fact know this clinic and have dealt with a very fine English speaking emergency doctor there. The ethos of requesting that residents with a social state doctor in the heavily touristic and English residenial areas in the south of the island either speak Spanish or have a translator, is a political gesture that is understandable, but is actually very unrealistic and the local authorities know this very well. It is upheld with notices in the clinics and requests for translators in the vain hope it will discourage English speakers from using the state medical services. They would infinitely prefer them to have private medical insurance. This policy is also based on the 'mis' conception that all the foreign people who come here to live are by definition wealthy, and all holidaymakers have travel insurance.

I agree and I also believe that all visitors should have medical insurance. Its a pity that all visitors to the UK are not required the same.