PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted UK trends vs Tenerife trends

Pure-Elysium
02-09-2013, 23:10
Hello there!

Myself and partner are regular visitors to Tenerife, and i am a freelance web designer based in the UK. We are seriously considering moving to Tenerife to start a new life on the island, and im considering taking the design side of my business over to the reef.

Looking at some of the current businesses already on the market in reference to web design, i just wondered, is this a popular thing over there? Im considering obviously opening this up to the whole canaries, and working out of Costa Del Silencio, however remotely via Skype obviously.

With my current portfolio, its relatively strong for the UK market, so i wondered how something like my work would fare within the Tenerife environment.

Does anyone have any advice in this type of self employment? Also is there anything i would need to do to instigate this, as obviously UK side we have to pay tax, and understandably in Tenerife there are different ones applicable to businesses.

Thanks
Kirsty
Pure Elysium Design

RM38
07-09-2013, 05:51
Hi Kirsty..Firstly i would like to wish you all the best for your new venture in Tenerife.There are quite a few companies in Tenerife who offer web design services but then it all depends on how you vary from them in terms of design trends and pricing..and how good you are in your work..in terms of taxes you need to pay an Autonomo tax when you are self employed in Spain..this tax is approx. 250€/month..hope this helps..Good Luck !

Pure-Elysium
07-09-2013, 14:15
Hi Kirsty..Firstly i would like to wish you all the best for your new venture in Tenerife.There are quite a few companies in Tenerife who offer web design services but then it all depends on how you vary from them in terms of design trends and pricing..and how good you are in your work..in terms of taxes you need to pay an Autonomo tax when you are self employed in Spain..this tax is approx. 250€/month..hope this helps..Good Luck !

Thankyou very much for this. Its interesting you mention the tax, as i thought Tenerife was tax free?

RM38
07-09-2013, 14:24
Thats just a notion..in reality we pay taxes for everything..besides 21% income tax..there is a vat(igic) at 7% which is levied on every thing..so there are taxes to be paid..

Pure-Elysium
07-09-2013, 14:27
Thats just a notion..in reality we pay taxes for everything..besides 21% income tax..there is a vat(igic) at 7% which is levied on every thing..so there are taxes to be paid..

So basically a self employed person is worse off in Tenerife than in England lol!!

slodgedad
07-09-2013, 15:06
Where you got the notion that Tenerife is tax free, heaven knows. It is a duty free port, that's all.

Pure-Elysium
07-09-2013, 15:08
Where you got the notion that Tenerife is tax free, heaven knows. It is a duty free port, that's all.

It was what someone mentioned.

But it seems that the tax over in on the Island is higher than a self employed person in UK :S

Harmonicaman
07-09-2013, 18:09
Yeah, but it's sunny in Tenerife...

Goldenmaniac
07-09-2013, 18:56
Thats just a notion..in reality we pay taxes for everything..besides 21% income tax..there is a vat(igic) at 7% which is levied on every thing..so there are taxes to be paid.. Income tax now 24,75% and IGIC varies depending on the goods .. 0, 3,7, 9.5 13.5 & 20% - 7% is what you would charge for your services- which are considered to have been delivered in Tenerife if you are working via internet from here. Telecoms are also considerably more expensive than you would be used to in UK, as are bank charges.
250 euros is the base self employed National Insurance contribution, goes up with age and type of activity undertaken. But the sun does shine :) and you can have a nice life here, just do your sums and make sure you have an escape fund in case it all goes pear shaped.
Plus unless your client base will follow you, if you are trying to source work here I think you might find you're up against DIY types and black money traders.

Angusjim
08-09-2013, 09:31
Thankyou very much for this. Its interesting you mention the tax, as i thought Tenerife was tax free?
How could a country survive if it did not raise money thru taxes???

Ecky Thump
08-09-2013, 10:07
How could a country survive if it did not raise money thru taxes???

As far as I can work out North Korea is a totally tax free country, but not sure that it would be a ideal place to set up a business.....or live!!:cry:

Angusjim
08-09-2013, 10:12
As far as I can work out North Korea is a totally tax free country, but not sure that it would be a ideal place to set up a business.....or live!!:cry:

Kind of like Castlemilk:whistle:

kathml
08-09-2013, 10:16
The above taxation figures show what a self employed person would pay in tax and indicates why there is such a large black economy in Spain and the canaries

KirstyJay
10-09-2013, 10:55
Hello there!

Myself and partner are regular visitors to Tenerife, and i am a freelance web designer based in the UK. We are seriously considering moving to Tenerife to start a new life on the island, and im considering taking the design side of my business over to the reef.

Looking at some of the current businesses already on the market in reference to web design, i just wondered, is this a popular thing over there? Im considering obviously opening this up to the whole canaries, and working out of Costa Del Silencio, however remotely via Skype obviously.

With my current portfolio, its relatively strong for the UK market, so i wondered how something like my work would fare within the Tenerife environment.

Does anyone have any advice in this type of self employment? Also is there anything i would need to do to instigate this, as obviously UK side we have to pay tax, and understandably in Tenerife there are different ones applicable to businesses.

Thanks
Kirsty
Pure Elysium Design

Anyone I know that is a credible website designer doesn't have clients in Tenerife anymore, as people are simply not willing to pay the going rate and do not value the quality of a website over price. You just have to look at the websites from businesses in Tenerife to see this. If a business can only afford to spend 100-200€ on their site, they're only going to get something basic... And price is an issue here, as many businesses are struggling. Web presence is often the last thing on their mind.

I know several very talented web designers here, all of whom do other jobs.

All my clients are now outside Tenerife, so unless you intend to continue to offer your services in the UK but work remotely from Tenerife, I'd possibly consider something else.

JaBBa
10-09-2013, 11:09
Yeah, but it's sunny in Tenerife...

Shhhh,they may tax that yet.....:wink:

Saminim
09-12-2013, 14:20
hello there! :hello: so did you move to Tenerife?

JaBBa
09-12-2013, 14:56
hello there! :hello: so did you move to Tenerife?

Who you mean???

Saminim
09-12-2013, 15:06
Who you mean???

Pure-Elysium that is! I wonder if they finally made the move?

Medanoman
11-12-2013, 02:04
Shhhh,they may tax that yet.....:wink:

They already are...energy produced freely from your own solar panels is to be taxed, with fines up to 35 million if not declared..

And as others have said. If you can live by servicing your current UK portfolio via skype from here thats great. but don't come here trying to make a Tenerife one. You will only be terribly disappointed. Try by all means . But only move if you can guarantee your income offshore. Expect nothing and you will be about right.

Saminim
11-12-2013, 17:06
yes, that´s a pretty safe assumption for Spain as a whole. I lived in Barcelona for 9 years and I can tell it has been a nightmare working with locals. Better keep your UK clients