PDA

View Full Version : Other Do any other forum members write reviews on Tripadvisor?

marbro8
04-09-2013, 23:20
i am a senior reviewer on trip adviser under the name of chunkster and have about 27 reviews to my name now, and was just wandering if any other members post on there? it has also helped us if we have had a poor meal, because they always try their hardest to put things right or give a refund:laugh:i have some fantastic stories of the times i have told a place that i am a senior reviewer from getting refunds to free meals :lol:, but i have never taken the pee and only complained where it was needed;) so are there any members that are members and what are your stories;)

kathml
05-09-2013, 05:31
I'm also a senior reviewer under a different name and have never had to mention the fact if I don't like somewhere ill say so and equally will give praise when deserved
I find it very useful for visiting anywhere new although I'm very wary of places which only have one or two reviews and they have been given brilliant write ups by reviewers who again only have an odd review under their belt
I have found that on the whole most reviews are fairly honest

tfs1
05-09-2013, 07:20
as always with sites such as tripadvisor its only as good as the accuracy of the info on it.

Someone on Tripadvisor has posted very negative comments on a Los Cris complex that I happen to own an apartment on so I was keen to find out what the problem was.

It was clear (to me) that something didnt add up as they contantlly mentioned 'hotel' in their rant, the complex in question are apartments. However, others may not be so aware.

It seems that the poster was so keen to vent his anger that not only did he get the wrong complex, albeit with a similar name to the Los Cris one, he also got the wrong country !

He has since posted the correct 'hotel/country' but attemps to get Tripadvisor to remove the incorrect post are proving to be very difficult.

Malteser Monkey
05-09-2013, 14:06
i am a senior reviewer on trip adviser under the name of chunkster and have about 27 reviews to my name now, and was just wandering if any other members post on there? it has also helped us if we have had a poor meal, because they always try their hardest to put things right or give a refund:laugh:i have some fantastic stories of the times i have told a place that i am a senior reviewer from getting refunds to free meals :lol:, but i have never taken the pee and only complained where it was needed;) so are there any members that are members and what are your stories;)

Chunkster:cheeky::laugh:

obs
05-09-2013, 14:48
Chunkster:cheeky::laugh:

Made up name :laugh::laugh:

Malteser Monkey
05-09-2013, 14:49
Made up name :laugh::laugh:

Mrs M gave it to him .........ooops did I just type that:cheeky:

blondie
05-09-2013, 15:33
Yes I am a senior reviewer as well but I cant say I have ever tried your trick Marbro, that is certainlt something to think about. I must admit if we receive sub stardard food or service that place will not get a second chance , we never go back there. It seems to be a feather in the establishments cap if they haveTrip Advisor shield on display, people certainly take heed of the reviews I know I do, but always know if it just some idiot having a rant. In Newcastle last weeh I thanked our waiter in an Indian restaurant for his service to us and how much we enjoyed our meal, he asked me if I was aware of TA and would I put a review on for him, so obviously I did.

marbro8
05-09-2013, 16:22
Chunkster:cheeky::laugh:my nickname is chunky:lol:, given to me by my wife's cousin when i was about 12, it has stuck with me for the last 40 years so much so that my wife calls me chunk and so does my mom:lol:, and i am known to all my nieces and nephews as uncle chunk and because my great nephew has trouble saying it i am known to him as gunk:lol:

Malteser Monkey
05-09-2013, 16:26
my nickname is chunky:lol:, given to me by my wife's cousin when i was about 12, it has stuck with me for the last 40 years so much so that my wife calls me chunk and so does my mom:lol:, and i am known to all my nieces and nephews as uncle chunk and because my great nephew has trouble saying it i am known to him as gunk:lol:

ahh bless

how's about .... The Chunkster - sounds like a film star:cheeky:

marbro8
05-09-2013, 16:31
Yes I am a senior reviewer as well but I cant say I have ever tried your trick Marbro, that is certainlt something to think about. I must admit if we receive sub stardard food or service that place will not get a second chance , we never go back there. It seems to be a feather in the establishments cap if they haveTrip Advisor shield on display, people certainly take heed of the reviews I know I do, but always know if it just some idiot having a rant. In Newcastle last weeh I thanked our waiter in an Indian restaurant for his service to us and how much we enjoyed our meal, he asked me if I was aware of TA and would I put a review on for him, so obviously I did.last time we ate at a trip advisor recommended pub the food was awful so when the waitress came over and asked us what the meal was like i complained and told her i was a senior reviewer, after about 60 seconds the manager came over and said we had only got to pay for the drinks, i protested and said i hadn't complained so as not to pay, but he wouldn't let me so i left a £10 tip for the girl that served us;)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

ahh bless

how's about .... The Chunkster - sounds like a film star:cheeky:the funky chunkster sound even better:lol: that was my handel on the cb radios years ago:lol:

Malteser Monkey
05-09-2013, 16:37
the funky chunkster sound even better:lol: that was my handel on the cb radios years ago:lol:

Wasn't it the funky gibbon !

CB radios hmmm way before my time:cheeky::whistle::whistle:

marbro8
05-09-2013, 16:38
as always with sites such as tripadvisor its only as good as the accuracy of the info on it.

Someone on Tripadvisor has posted very negative comments on a Los Cris complex that I happen to own an apartment on so I was keen to find out what the problem was.

It was clear (to me) that something didnt add up as they contantlly mentioned 'hotel' in their rant, the complex in question are apartments. However, others may not be so aware.

It seems that the poster was so keen to vent his anger that not only did he get the wrong complex, albeit with a similar name to the Los Cris one, he also got the wrong country !

He has since posted the correct 'hotel/country' but attemps to get Tripadvisor to remove the incorrect post are proving to be very difficult.yes totally agree i would never abuse it, i have been contacted by hotel managers before now to apologize if i have had a bad stay and to offer me another stay at reduced rates, and i remember margerita's in los cris having bogus reviews put on about it a few years ago;)

warbey
05-09-2013, 19:49
I have done a few Reviews over the Years, but being a Creature of Habit, I know My Favourate Places and stick to them.

I sometimes research Strange Places, as I did Last Year, but always try to understand why the Report was posted.

Human nature usually means Post if You have a Moan. Don't if You haven't.

Free Meals and Hotels though, I must reconsider Mate.....:hello::hello:

lesbroz
05-09-2013, 20:31
I am also a senior reviewer and I make sure that I post both the good and the bad reviews. Found Trip Advisor a godsend on our recent trip around the states.

Never thought about mentioning being a reviewer when I have had to complain...........now there's food for thought!

blondie
05-09-2013, 20:41
See what you started Marbro!!!!!

Ecky Thump
05-09-2013, 21:30

Och leave the poor wee boy alone, while he's posting here, then he's not sending me his begging letters.:laugh:

I've just found out that next month he's staying at his cousins apartment which is almost next door to where I'm staying, so he will be round every morning borrowing milk and cups of sugar!!:wink:

marbro8
05-09-2013, 22:12
Lol I know but if it works blondie;)

Och leave the poor wee boy alone, while he's posting here, then he's not sending me his begging letters.:laugh:

I've just found out that next month he's staying at his cousins apartment which is almost next door to where I'm staying, so he will be round every morning borrowing milk and cups of sugar!!:wink:you will be lucky if it stops at sugar and milk:lol::lol::lol:

Malteser Monkey
06-09-2013, 09:12
Lol I know but if it works blondie;)

you will be lucky if it stops at sugar and milk:lol::lol::lol:

Carol is not one of the options Chunkster !:cheeky:

Ecky Thump
06-09-2013, 09:29
Carol is not one of the options Chunkster !:cheeky:

It depends how much money he is offering.......

In Scotland everything has a price!:laugh:

Malteser Monkey
06-09-2013, 09:54
It depends how much money he is offering.......

In Scotland everything has a price!:laugh:

But finding someone to part with their dosh tho':laugh:

Angusjim
06-09-2013, 10:00
But finding someone to part with their dosh tho':laugh:

Watch it London you are treading dangerous territory with your constant derogatory comments about the Scots :redcard::nono: ( Mods can you please monitor her posts )

Malteser Monkey
06-09-2013, 10:03
Watch it London you are treading dangerous territory with your constant derogatory comments about the Scots :redcard::nono: ( Mods can you please monitor her posts )

it's just the tip of the iceberg you wait til I've had a wine or two :cheeky:

Ecky Thump
06-09-2013, 10:08

Your correct,....when any one talks or infers about Scots parting with their money, then it certainly is derogatory and inflammatory !!:respect:

Angusjim
06-09-2013, 10:15
Your correct,....when any one talks or infers about Scots parting with their money, then it certainly is derogatory and inflammatory !!:respect:

As I have said before I prefer to say we are careful with our money:tiphat:

Malteser Monkey
06-09-2013, 10:18
As I have said before I prefer to say we are careful with our money:tiphat:

Very..........:cheeky:

jack oakley
06-09-2013, 12:35

He has since posted the correct 'hotel/country' but attemps to get Tripadvisor to remove the incorrect post are proving to be very difficult.

Totally agree with TFS, Trip Advisor is fast losing it's credibility, it started with good intention doing what it say's on the tin but it has now like 'facebook' and 'twitter' turned into a massive advertising and marketing machine with making money it's prime objective. Yes it needs funding to survive in order provide the excellent advise it initially did, but by doing little or nothing to address the blatent abuse that is evident in it's pages less and less readers will take it seriously. Most of us have a pretty good idea that when a restaurant has 100 good revue's and one or two 'pop up' slamming it, they have usually been written by a bogus reviewer with no history or credible profile and have therefore in probability been written by a jealous or vindictive competitor trying to reduce the restaurant's rating, and it does, so readers who initially check ratings can be mislead and restaurant owner's can lose business. As this is now rife throughout T.A's. pages a genuine reader seeking advise now has to trawl through all the revue's to make a decision on whether or not to try it. I have factual knowledge about a restaurant that had excellent revue's and was number one in the district (Los Abrigos), in November last year I was there on a special evening, the restaurant was filled with diners who frequent the place regularly, in fact the owner knew every single one including me. A few days later two damning revue's by two separate posters (both with no history or credible profile) claimed to have been there on that night, one claimed that a nearby Hotel in which he was staying had made the booking for him, which was a blatant lie as the owner of the restaurant had taken every booking for that night all on his personal phone, none were taken on the restaurant phone and no reservation had come from a Hotel. The damning revue's lost the restaurant it's number one rating, the owner rebuffed one of the posts and reported both to TripAdvisor, a number of diners who were there on that evening (including myself) also reported the post's yet TripAdvisor have ignored them all. Advise site's can make or break business's and it is imperative that they have an efficient moderating policy and a competent operational complaint procedure, otherwise genuine reviewer's will lose their credibility (and free dinners).

marbro8
06-09-2013, 19:50
Totally agree with TFS, Trip Advisor is fast losing it's credibility, it started with good intention doing what it say's on the tin but it has now like 'facebook' and 'twitter' turned into a massive advertising and marketing machine with making money it's prime objective. Yes it needs funding to survive in order provide the excellent advise it initially did, but by doing little or nothing to address the blatent abuse that is evident in it's pages less and less readers will take it seriously. Most of us have a pretty good idea that when a restaurant has 100 good revue's and one or two 'pop up' slamming it, they have usually been written by a bogus reviewer with no history or credible profile and have therefore in probability been written by a jealous or vindictive competitor trying to reduce the restaurant's rating, and it does, so readers who initially check ratings can be mislead and restaurant owner's can lose business. As this is now rife throughout T.A's. pages a genuine reader seeking advise now has to trawl through all the revue's to make a decision on whether or not to try it. I have factual knowledge about a restaurant that had excellent revue's and was number one in the district (Los Abrigos), in November last year I was there on a special evening, the restaurant was filled with diners who frequent the place regularly, in fact the owner knew every single one including me. A few days later two damning revue's by two separate posters (both with no history or credible profile) claimed to have been there on that night, one claimed that a nearby Hotel in which he was staying had made the booking for him, which was a blatant lie as the owner of the restaurant had taken every booking for that night all on his personal phone, none were taken on the restaurant phone and no reservation had come from a Hotel. The damning revue's lost the restaurant it's number one rating, the owner rebuffed one of the posts and reported both to TripAdvisor, a number of diners who were there on that evening (including myself) also reported the post's yet TripAdvisor have ignored them all. Advise site's can make or break business's and it is imperative that they have an efficient moderating policy and a competent operational complaint procedure, otherwise genuine reviewer's will lose their credibility (and free dinners).as i have said jack i have never taken the pee and even left a large tip on the last occasion, but i am a firm believer that if you have not had a good experience in a restaurant and the food has been of poor quality then i think it is our duty to complain and either get monetary compensation or something of equal value, i have turned down invitations to come and dine free on another occasion for obvious reasons, but if you are in the business of selling people food then you should at least give them value for money and be of a certain standard, a few weeks ago we went for a meal at a certain square deal pub in our area called the chase gate in cannock, i know that for £5 i am not going to be served lobster but i still expect it to be of a good standard,i think there where 8 of us? could have been 6, and when the meals came my sister in laws pie was so dry when she cut into it there was a puff of smoke and it looked like sawdust, my brother in law had what could only be described as a "T" spoon of baked beans and my wife's peas where like bullets, so i complained, within 5 mins the meals had been replaced and taken off the bill, there where free drinks for all of us and a bottle of wine placed on the table, now there is putting it right and there is really putting it right, you all know now my member name on T.A so just look at the review i left;)

warbey
06-09-2013, 20:11
'

I would wonder what the Hygiene Standards in the Kitchen were like.

jack oakley
07-09-2013, 11:10
as i have said jack i have never taken the pee and even left a large tip on the last occasion, but i am a firm believer that if you have not had a good experience in a restaurant and the food has been of poor quality then i think it is our duty to complain and either get monetary compensation or something of equal value, i have turned down invitations to come and dine free on another occasion for obvious reasons, but if you are in the business of selling people food then you should at least give them value for money and be of a certain standard, a few weeks ago we went for a meal at a certain square deal pub in our area called the chase gate in cannock, i know that for £5 i am not going to be served lobster but i still expect it to be of a good standard,i think there where 8 of us? could have been 6, and when the meals came my sister in laws pie was so dry when she cut into it there was a puff of smoke and it looked like sawdust, my brother in law had what could only be described as a "T" spoon of baked beans and my wife's peas where like bullets, so i complained, within 5 mins the meals had been replaced and taken off the bill, there where free drinks for all of us and a bottle of wine placed on the table, now there is putting it right and there is really putting it right, you all know now my member name on T.A so just look at the review i left;)
You are so right to complain too few of us 'Britts' actually do, I spend 3 0r 4 nights in restaurants and quite often hear diners grumbling yet when the waiter/ress asks if everything is alright they say "yes". Whether it be a 99p burger from Macdonalds or a gourmet dinner at the Ritz if it aint right then it should be replaced and if there are several of you then all the food should be replaced for the obvious reason that during the wait the duff dinner is being replaced the others eat theirs whilst duff dinner bod sits twiddling his napkin. In contrast there are perpetual complainers who deliberately attempt to get freebies or reductions by making bogus and unwarranted complaints, an experienced restaurant owner/manager can usually 'suss' them out. So I revert back to my initial 'beef' that T.A need to address the bogus review issue. Bon appetite...Jack O.

Tom and Lesley
10-09-2013, 18:18
Hi All
Yes we often put reviews on Trip advisor.
We find it useful too when we travel around, always good to know which is the best hotel, best restaurant, etc. But always look at the number of reviews and the dates, 3 reviews on a restaurant is not as reliable as one that has 100's over several years.

theslaters
10-09-2013, 20:23
It was on the radio last week about it good restaurant in London good TA reviews then a stint of bad one for no reason owner tried to sort this with TA but nothing in return so the owner set up a Micky mouse fake restaurant up a small ally in London with blinding reviews then people came looking for this fab restraurant but nothing there......
Think he made his point to easy to ruin someone's business!!!with no comeback

essexeddie
10-09-2013, 20:48
I have made 45 Contributions to TA all are well deserved. Some good some bad.

DeedeeTipperary
10-09-2013, 21:19
I am also on TripAdvisor , I use the same name as I use here so as not to confuse me :confused: I am a senior contributor on Tripadvisor doesnt that sound important :laugh:

marbro8
10-09-2013, 21:22
I am also on TripAdvisor , I use the same name as I use here so as not to confuse me :confused: I am a senior contributor on Tripadvisor doesnt that sound important :laugh:it does when you are telling a restaurant owner you haven't enjoyed your meal:lol:

slodgedad
10-09-2013, 21:55
I used to be a contributor until I, like many others, realized it was phony.

Some of the reviewers had obviously not been in the same place as me.

IMO It is far to open to abuse.((My personal opininion and does not reflect my status on the Forum)

marbro8
10-09-2013, 22:01
I used to be a contributor until I, like many others, realized it was phony.

Some of the reviewers had obviously not been in the same place as me.

IMO It is far to open to abuse.((My personal opininion and does not reflect my status on the Forum)i agree it is open to abuse but i have never lied in a review so it is up to us genuine reviewers to try to put that right;)

slodgedad
10-09-2013, 22:08
i agree it is open to abuse but i have never lied in a review so it is up to us genuine reviewers to try to put that right;)

I agree. However it always annoyed when I (Hungryeater BTW) made a comment and the next reviewer completely negated what I had truthfully reported.

Opinions are just that, but when people argue about your opinion in a review..Duh