PDA

View Full Version : Where are the best Indian restaurants in south Tenerife?

She Sells Seashells
30-05-2011, 13:58
Hey everyone, we have an opportunity to post up-to-date curry house recommendations. Besides the old forum, another great source of Tenerife curry information was www.tenerife-curries.com, but sadly it went defunct earlier this year.

I have been to Sher-y-Punjab in Los Cristianos, and thought it was wonderful, and could hold its own in the London area certainly. Good food, good atmosphere, good value for money.

I have also been to Krisha's in Los Gigantes although I would not give it a glowing review. Poppadums and starters were great, but my feeling was that they may just modify the spicing of a red sauce to make different mains dishes. The location and view are superb, and the staff friendly and attentive. In my opinion the food was not as good as Sher-Y-Punjab.

So calling all curry lovers for your news and views on curry houses on the island (not in Bradford or Yorkshire - definitely not what this thread is about). Personally I am interested in hearing about places between Los Cristianos and Los Gigantes, but the forum membership covers a much larger area so I am sure lots of people want to hear about other places as well.

Tom & Sharon
30-05-2011, 14:00
Not the right area for you, but Haweli at San Blas is very good.

Suej
30-05-2011, 16:37
Hey everyone, we have an opportunity to post up-to-date curry house recommendations. Besides the old forum, another great source of Tenerife curry information was www.tenerife-curries.com, but sadly it went defunct earlier this year.

I have been to Sher-y-Punjab in Los Cristianos, and thought it was wonderful, and could hold its own in the London area certainly. Good food, good atmosphere, good value for money.

I have also been to Krisha's in Los Gigantes although I would not give it a glowing review. Poppadums and starters were great, but my feeling was that they may just modify the spicing of a red sauce to make different mains dishes. The location and view are superb, and the staff friendly and attentive. In my opinion the food was not as good as Sher-Y-Punjab.

So calling all curry lovers for your news and views on curry houses on the island (not in Bradford or Yorkshire - definitely not what this thread is about). Personally I am interested in hearing about places between Los Cristianos and Los Gigantes, but the forum membership covers a much larger area so I am sure lots of people want to hear about other places as well.
You may as well stick with Sheree Punjab...I was there with friends last week and tried totally different dishes to my norm, absolutely gorgeous!:) but if you want to try other Restaurants there was a thread the other day with more recommendations!

Heffalumpy
30-05-2011, 17:38
Where is your favorite Indian to eat in?

Mine is.

Taj, San Blas CC Golf del Sur.

uptowngirl
30-05-2011, 17:59
At the moment I am loving Star of Asia in the Apollo Centre. EXCELLENT value for money!!!!

My favourite, non buffet restaurant is Krishna in Los Gigs, but that is on the West Coast so slightly wrong for this thread!!!

She Sells Seashells
31-05-2011, 11:55
At the moment I am loving Star of Asia in the Apollo Centre. EXCELLENT value for money!!!!

My favourite, non buffet restaurant is Krishna in Los Gigs, but that is on the West Coast so slightly wrong for this thread!!!

No, Krishna's in the right area.....just not my favourite. As it is your favourite, and I've only been once, I guess I should give it another chance.

Very interesting about the Star of Asia - I have always wondered about it so it sounds like it deserves a try as well.

wahay
31-05-2011, 20:01
star of bengal i think its called down from churchills in los cris also last night went to harish indian on the mirador strip next door to o jangles

caroletenerife
31-05-2011, 20:10
No, Krishna's in the right area.....just not my favourite. As it is your favourite, and I've only been once, I guess I should give it another chance.

Very interesting about the Star of Asia - I have always wondered about it so it sounds like it deserves a try as well.

Used to work with kamal, head chef and now owner of Star of Asia, got to say miss his cooking..he is a great chef and will make dishes for you that are not on the menu

She Sells Seashells
31-05-2011, 21:08
Used to work with kamal, head chef and now owner of Star of Asia, got to say miss his cooking..he is a great chef and will make dishes for you that are not on the menu

Good tip - have to go now!

Tenerife_Smurf
31-05-2011, 21:43
Sher-y-Punjab in Los Cristianos ;)

walkerj3
01-06-2011, 09:46
I used to love the Star of's but I've been a bit put off that you have to order everything, at least it stops me eating as I feel cheeky asking for so much!!

Is there a buffet style on the Golf?

zippo1uk
01-06-2011, 10:03
taj is a firm favorite of mine too, and harish on San Blass

leahd
01-06-2011, 12:22
Shere punjab all the way.... I have tried a few and they dont compare!

imablue
01-06-2011, 12:22
Krishna 2 in CC Shopping Centre across the road from Parque Santiago 2,next door to the Hereford Bull..our favourite
with Sher Y Punjab a very close 2nd ......:hungry::hungry:

hailfuzz
01-06-2011, 14:57
I swear by Harish on the mirador strip.

tophope
05-06-2011, 17:58
We stumbled upon a little beauty in Los Christianos on the Paseo Maritimo. The Olive Garden - it has a Curry Club - 3 nights a week , Monday , Wednesday and Saturday . The curries are fabulous and are served with rice , Nan Bread and Onion Bhaji - the price for most curries with chicken is just
4-95. Over the week i had 2 Jalfrezis and a Vindaloo while the other half had Pathia Balti , Bhuna and something else. I had Indian meatballs instead of chicken which added 2 euros to the price. You could also have Lamb or Chicken Tikka or even Tiger Prawns. For the 2 of us with 2 poppadums each and 2 large beers it came to less than 20 euros , and the food was truly excellent. Cannot be faulted at the price. Book to guarantee a table or you may have to wait

marbro8
05-06-2011, 19:34
We stumbled upon a little beauty in Los Christianos on the Paseo Maritimo. The Olive Garden - it has a Curry Club - 3 nights a week , Monday , Wednesday and Saturday . The curries are fabulous and are served with rice , Nan Bread and Onion Bhaji - the price for most curries with chicken is just
4-95. Over the week i had 2 Jalfrezis and a Vindaloo while the other half had Pathia Balti , Bhuna and something else. I had Indian meatballs instead of chicken which added 2 euros to the price. You could also have Lamb or Chicken Tikka or even Tiger Prawns. For the 2 of us with 2 poppadums each and 2 large beers it came to less than 20 euros , and the food was truly excellent. Cannot be faulted at the price. Book to guarantee a table or you may have to wait i totaly agree, we had a curry there a few weeks ago and the home made breads were a nice touch, very good value, the thing that made me laugh was the fact that the owner has an indian cook but makes the curry's himself from recipes off the internet lol

MRSBEN
05-06-2011, 19:52
Been to alot of indians in the south our favorite is the one in the Safari Centre it is very good ,and also like someone else said Star of Bengal near Churchills .

tophope
05-06-2011, 20:07
we went to that one - Bombay Blue , food was excellent apart from one thing - soggy poppadums (how hard are they to get right ?) , but lovely setting outside - just costs more

She Sells Seashells
06-06-2011, 12:45
we went to that one - Bombay Blue , food was excellent apart from one thing - soggy poppadums (how hard are they to get right ?) , but lovely setting outside - just costs more

The Olive Garden sounds fabulous and at the right price too. Re Bombay Blue and your comment about it costing more, that was why I didn't even think of trying it. I figured it would be way too expensive due to its loocation. And I agree - how can you mess up poppadums?

tophope
06-06-2011, 13:07
Olive Garden cost us about 20 euros , Bombay Blue cost 40 euros - but for a nicer setting has to be Bombay Blue - if cost is important you can't fault Olive Garden

PUDCLARKE
06-06-2011, 16:08
Hi All,

We have been to LC a few times on holiday (next arrival 28th July :) ) but cannot recall where the Sher Punjab is - can someone give me the location please as this sounds like a must to try out.

Many thanks

She Sells Seashells
07-06-2011, 09:08
I managed to find an address: Paseo Maritimo, Edificio Fontana Local 17. We parked at the harbour and walked there (5 mins). It is just off the beach. Whereas I could find it again, maybe someone else could give more precise directions? I hope?

Loaded
07-06-2011, 09:44
It's next to the roast house in Fontana square if that helps

uptowngirl
07-06-2011, 10:17
Krishna 2 in CC Shopping Centre across the road from Parque Santiago 2,next door to the Hereford Bull..our favourite
......:hungry::hungry:

went here on Saturday........................... nothing to write home about for me.................

I swear by Harish on the mirador strip.

Haven't been for ages............... I used to love it there

Always found the food lovely here but terrible service

Hi All,

We have been to LC a few times on holiday (next arrival 28th July :) ) but cannot recall where the Sher Punjab is - can someone give me the location please as this sounds like a must to try out.

Many thanks

Went here donkeys years ago............... GROSS, visited it again a few months and was suitably impressed. Really nice curries here!!!

I still say Krishna in Los Gigantes is the best for me, followed by Star of Asia on the Apollo for buffet, and Sher e Punjab makes a pretty mean curry!! Then again so do I.............. I have a good teacher :eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows::eyebrows::hungry::h ungry:

sleepy
07-06-2011, 14:57
[QUOTE=uptowngirl

Star of Asia on the Apollo for buffet[/QUOTE]

Do you mean the buffet that they advertise outside but when you get inside it doesn't exist?

Loaded
18-06-2011, 22:00
I like sheree Punjab food it's just the way there are random pictures in corners obviously covering holes or something....

uptowngirl
18-06-2011, 22:11
Do you mean the buffet that they advertise outside but when you get inside it doesn't exist?

Yes I do, cos even better......................... everything is cooked for each table fresh!!!! What more could you ask for??? 9.95 for unlimited poppadums, pickles, bhajjis, samosas and tandoori chicken, followed by one type of curry per person (all you can eat) and rice till it come out ya ears!!!!!

Now, would I rather pick off a buffet which has been stood for hours, or something freshly cooked..................... mmmn, difficult one that!!!:crazy::crazy::crazy:

markcuk
18-06-2011, 22:19
tried the star of asia but as you mentoned one type of curry per person (so not really a buffet) I want to try all of them and mix and match etc

We couldnt have the lamb because the cook had not made it yet!!!! food was good but rubbish buffet

slewi
22-06-2011, 23:21
Been trying for years, to get the wife to try the Rani Tandoori in Pueblo Canarios, down the side of the Bourganville Hotel at San Euganio. At last,with the weather a bit cooler two weeks ago, she gave in. We were both really surprised at the quality of the food. Well worth a try. Good value.

captain beefheart
23-06-2011, 19:51
everytime we visit tenerife we go to krishna 2 in las america, food and service allways top class.

northernlass04
27-09-2011, 23:18
Star of Bengal, the buffet menu loads of food. Its the best curry we have had on the Island.

marbro8
27-09-2011, 23:35
Olive Garden cost us about 20 euros , Bombay Blue cost 40 euros - but for a nicer setting has to be Bombay Blue - if cost is important you can't fault Olive Gardenthat is so true about the olive garden,, all the curry's are cooked by the english chef lol even though they have an indian chef? you can get a curry, rice homemade nan bread and onion barge for about 6 euros and tastes fantastic

Added after 3 minutes:

So calling all curry lovers for your news and views on curry houses on the island (not in Bradford or Yorkshire - definitely not what this thread is about). Personally I am interested in hearing about places between Los Cristianos and Los Gigantes, but the forum membership covers a much larger area so I am sure lots of people want to hear about other places as well.sorry but i live in the midlands and no one on the island can hold a candle to the curry houses here:(

russ
14-10-2011, 20:30
Sher E Punjab! When my wife and I were in Tenerife for a fortnight in September we ate there 4 times! The waiters were great and the food was even better. Try the phall if you're brave enough lol. It was fantastic! Will definitely eat there again when we come back.

Mrs V
26-10-2011, 11:47
Does anyone know if Tandoori Nights in El Camison still exists?

Freshasadaisy
26-10-2011, 12:20
It's not an Indian restaurant but you must try The Olive Garden on the front in Los Cristianos, they have curry nights, I think Weds, Sat and other nights now as it's that popular.

I was very reluctant at first but had one of the best curries on the Island and it's only about 5.95 and the staff are very friendly too!

If you walk along the seafront from the market area towards los cris, you will find it near the crazy golf.

Mrs V
26-10-2011, 12:22
Thanks for the suggestion we'll maybe try that one another time but for this time we're really looking for an Inidan buffet.

Freshasadaisy
26-10-2011, 12:27
Well we can recomend the King of India in Los cris, the road at the front of it is being worked on thought, but you can still get in there and they do a great set meal with a free glass of wine for 10 euros and it is great meal and again nice staff!

It's kind of above subway up the walkway

Suej
26-10-2011, 12:27
Sher E Punjab! When my wife and I were in Tenerife for a fortnight in September we ate there 4 times! The waiters were great and the food was even better. Try the phall if you're brave enough lol. It was fantastic! Will definitely eat there again when we come back.

I have to agree the Sher-e-Punjab is the best in or around LC imo! (in the courtyard where the Roast house is)clean, comfortable and modern and great food! we´ve tried most of them but something was always lacking in taste and freshness.:)

Mrs V
26-10-2011, 12:33
Does Sher E Punjab do a buffet?
Thanks

Suej
26-10-2011, 12:47
Does Sher E Punjab do a buffet?
Thanks

No they don´t but loads to try they do serve big portions, so make sure you are hungry!:yum:

Kiki
22-03-2013, 18:45
Hello,

Can anyone recommend an Indian buffet restaurant in Los Cris/Las Americas?

Thank you

9PLUS
22-03-2013, 19:05
I can highly recommend Bombay Blue their link is on this page at the bottom, 7th row down on the right hand side www.ten-diez.com (http:// www.ten-diez.com/workshops)

bazzo
22-03-2013, 20:46
Can highly recommend Balti Balti on the El Mirador strip near Bar 39.

golf birdie
22-03-2013, 21:22
we have tried every Indian in the south and Sher E Punjab is the best we have found. Everyone we take there is impressed by the food.

tripadviser
23-03-2013, 12:15
Having tried most Indian restaurants in Tenerife I have to say Balti Balti is the best

golf birdie
23-03-2013, 15:58
Having tried most Indian restaurants in Tenerife I have to say Balti Balti is the best

the food there is very good, the only thing against it is the portions are just too small.

carpenter
23-03-2013, 18:05
I went a a proper Indian restaurant, it was so authentic they didn't have a sous chef in the kitchen they had a Sioux Chief :crylaughing:

I'll get my coat...

Sal
23-03-2013, 21:34

We walked into Balti Balti and looked around. Nobody came to offer us a table or any greeting, so we walked out and went to Harish Tandoori and had a fantastic meal a lot cheaper than the aforesaid restaurant!

marbro8
23-03-2013, 21:41
We walked into Balti Balti and looked around. Nobody came to offer us a table or any greeting, so we walked out and went to Harish Tandoori and had a fantastic meal a lot cheaper than the aforesaid restaurant!is that the one next to (or near) bojangles?:)

tfs1
23-03-2013, 22:08
We have also had some good food at Balti Balti and haven't yet found anywhere else in the area that can offer Indian food at the same quality both in food, service and value.

We have been elsewhere where they pile it on but at Balti Balti it tends to be quality to enjoy rather than volume to try and impress.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

We have also had some good food at Balti Balti and haven't yet found anywhere else in the area that can offer Indian food at the same quality both in food, service and lastly value.

We have been elsewhere where they pile it on but at Balti Balti it tends to be quality to enjoy rather than volume to try and impress.

seanocelt
24-03-2013, 02:38
Punters have been telling us that the Indian behind Miners Retreat/Dail Fountain at the harbour Los Cris is very good again, set meal meant to be good value (dunno the name sorry). Krishna at CC City Centre is a favourite with resident pals of mine, but im was not over impressed, was just ok.

imablue
24-03-2013, 10:27
Punters have been telling us that the Indian behind Miners Retreat/Dail Fountain at the harbour Los Cris is very good again, set meal meant to be good value (dunno the name sorry). Krishna at CC City Centre is a favourite with resident pals of mine, but im was not over impressed, was just ok.

Its Sher e Punjab....they do a full menu...also Special Menu for €12.95...which is very good ....

Angusjim
24-03-2013, 10:44
Can't remember its name but the one at Sante Maria complex I have found to be very good and always seems busy :hungry:

imablue
24-03-2013, 11:16
Can't remember its name but the one at Sante Maria complex I have found to be very good and always seems busy :hungry:
That one is Gandhi Restaurant...and a very good buffet they do in there too ...about €12.00

Jimmyhow
24-03-2013, 13:34
Sher E Punjab is excellent, we had another great meal there in Feb.

Only thing that puts it down a little is the 2 brothers who own it are usually watching very old british TV programmes whilst you are eating. Quite funny really when there's some car chase from the Dukes of Hazard or the gunfight at the OK Coral going on in the background!

seanocelt
24-03-2013, 13:48
Yes Ghandi was very good last time i used it.

golazzo
25-03-2013, 06:31
That one is Gandhi Restaurant...and a very good buffet they do in there too ...about €12.00

Didn't they used to be in Los Cris close to the tunnel on the road directly above

Kiki
25-03-2013, 15:31
I went to new Bollywood under the El Dorado, just along from the Jersey Cow. It was lovely, with reasonable prices and very busy. The staff were friendly and gave us complimentary Baileys after our meal. I will defintely be returning soon.

seanocelt
25-03-2013, 17:57
:yum: trying Sher E Punjab tonight will let you all know;-)

And the bad news (for my waistline) is that it was very good, better than i expected. Signs were good when we noticed it was the only busy place in the area, confirmed when i recognised a few local faces. Got 2 x 12.95 special menu meals = poppadums, chicken tikka starter (4 nice cubes) +chicken pakora starter. Two nans, pilau rice, 1 large chips, 2 dorada bottles...AND.....A BRILLIANT SPICY chicken tikka madras (nine large bits if chicken, that was a real surpirse), and Butter Chicken (usually 10 euros always a dearer dish). Paid 33 inc tip, no igic added. Very pleased , couldnt fault it folks.

danno
02-04-2013, 01:42
IMI
harish indian = 5/10
Balti Balti 7/10
Am looking to improve on that & still stay in LC (normally to drunk to drive when its time for indian)
So, anyone know if star of Asia still open as thread is old & where is Sher-y-Punjab in Los Cristianos
Thanks Guys

IMI
harish indian = 5/10
Balti Balti 7/10
Am looking to improve on that & still stay in LC (normally to drunk to drive when its time for indian)
So, anyone know if star of Asia still open as thread is old & where is Sher-y-Punjab in Los Cristianos
Thanks Guys

golazzo
02-04-2013, 06:23
IMI
harish indian = 5/10
Balti Balti 7/10
Thanks Guys

IMI
harish indian = 5/10
Balti Balti 7/10
Thanks Guys

Not sure about Star of Asia, isn't it now Bombay Blue above the safari centre plus Sher-y-Punjab is in the square with the roast house.

seanocelt
02-04-2013, 14:13
My pals still love Star of Bengal near Churchill's but i loved Sher e Punjab. Will give the Star a try.

golf birdie
02-04-2013, 14:18
My pals still love Star of Bengal near Churchill's but i loved Sher e Punjab. Will give the Star a try.

as I said earlier, we have tried them all in the south and the best is Sher e Punjab. We don't even consider elsewhere as we know it won't be as good.

Red
08-04-2013, 23:41
I've tried most ofthe above mentioned and having been a big fan of Rani's until I discovered Sher y Punjab as my favourite or the last few years, I kept being told to try Balti Balti, Wow, blown away buy the quality of the food.
On the flip side, the worst Indian food I have ever eaten was just yards from Balti Balti, Harish Tandoori! Went there as a group of 4, ordered 4 different curries, every one tasted the same. Unfortunately the taste was disgusting, bland tomato soup. They brought the vina sol already opened! (that went straight back) At the end of the meal we told them it was really poor food and how disappointed we were. Shrugged his shoulders and walked off. No wonder we were the only table in there on a Saturday night.
Still go to Sher y Punjab tho as lke a Guinness accross the square.

Tracey & Darren
14-04-2013, 17:23
Hi there,

The best curry house that we can recommend is called Bombay Nights, it's located on the main road heading towards San Eugenio.

It only costs 8.95 euros for a three course meal (choice of any starter, and any main and choice of naan or rice, we can highly recommend this place as the food is fantastic and the service is excellent.

We love our currys (being from Birmingham we know our stuff) and we're really pleased that we have found this place as we struggled at first to find a restaurant that ticked all our boxes.

We would definitely recommend that you pay this establishment a visit, you will not be disappointed.

Might be worth mentioning that Darren & Tracey recommended you.

Happy eating and enjoy

Tracey & Darren

pebble4
14-04-2013, 18:38
Sher-e-Punjab opposite Fountain Bar in Los Cristianos, always good food, friendly and a fair price. Have eaten there for several years, never had a bad meal

Sal
20-04-2013, 21:53
is that the one next to (or near) bojangles?:)

Further up the hill near the top end of El Mirador. The one next to Bojangles is the long established Harish Tandoori and I would recommend it to anyone!

Red
20-04-2013, 23:13
Harish Tandoori was without doubt the worst Indian food I have eaten. Very poor in my opinion. Check out some of the tripAdvisor comments.

Sal
20-04-2013, 23:17
Harish Tandoori on El Mirador strip is excellent and has been for many years!

Red
20-04-2013, 23:21
Sorry not in my opinion. To say it wasn't nice would be a compliment! It was terrible when we ate there two years ago.

Sal
20-04-2013, 23:34
Sorry not in my opinion. To say it wasn't nice would be a compliment! It was terrible when we ate there two years ago.

We have eaten there for several years and enjoyed every meal. Will be back there again this year to enjoy again! Maybe you went on the chef's night off? :dontknow:

marbro8
20-04-2013, 23:34
to tell the truth we eat a lot of indian,pakistani,bangladeshi meals here in the uk, and about 80% of restaurants and take away's are owned by bangladeshi's and the indian and pakastani restaurants employ bangladeshi chefs, i personally think that when you have an indian meal in tenerife it is never as good as here in the uk:(, i think it is close but never as good ;)

Red
20-04-2013, 23:53
Sal, have a meal at either Balti Balti or Sher y Punjab (preferably both) and then Harish. I think you'd see Harish for what it is (or isn't)

Marbro. Know what you mean about 'proper Indian/Pakistani food. You wont get that in Tenerife but Balti Balti or Sher y Punjab do serve excellent food.

marbro8
20-04-2013, 23:58
Sal, have a meal at either Balti Balti or Sher y Punjab (preferably both) and then Harish. I think you'd see Harish for what it is (or isn't)

Marbro. Know what you mean about 'proper Indian/Pakistani food. You wont get that in Tenerife but Balti Balti or Sher y Punjab do serve excellent food.we have tried sher y punjab m8 and that has been the best BUT:dontknow:;) i would prefer to not try indian and chinese food abroad because they can never get it quite right, i would prefer to try spanish and even british because i know that they at least get it right;)

seanocelt
21-04-2013, 01:22
Sher y Punjab again other night, no fuss service, not scenic, but terrific food. Thats twice in a row. For Tenerife, that's good.

Red
21-04-2013, 08:33
Sean try Ranis down pueblo canario. Sea views as I remember and great food.
Marbro, British food? Apart from a full English, our contribution to the culinary world is poor. Hence the amount if take-aways in every street.

marbro8
21-04-2013, 10:22
Sean try Ranis down pueblo canario. Sea views as I remember and great food.
Marbro, British food? Apart from a full English, our contribution to the culinary world is poor. Hence the amount if take-aways in every street.the great british carvery? i think the food at the roast house is ok, fillet steak and home made chips is pretty nice, but probably should have said italian because that's where we seem to have had most of the good meals we have eaten in tenerife;)

Foz
13-05-2013, 19:51
We usually go to Bombay Babu where the food is really pretty good .... but as no one had mentioned it on here thought we'd try the amazing Sher y Punjab ..... with so many good recommendations how could we go wrong? We ordered chicken rogon josh, chicken jalfrezi, tarka dahl, pilau rice and nan. The two chicken dishes tasted exactly the same and pretty bland (jalfrezi is usually nice and spicy but this was no hotter than a korma!) the dahl was like no dahl I'd ever seen .... a pretty wierd pale green colour and very poor. The nans were like chapatis ... but the rice was good!!!!!! I've tried lots of Indians here and I can honestly say it's the most disappointing I've ever had.

I agree that you get far better in the Uk (or India!!!!!!!!!!) but if you are having a curry while you are here give Bombay Babu a try.

marbro8
13-05-2013, 21:34
We usually go to Bombay Babu where the food is really pretty good .... but as no one had mentioned it on here thought we'd try the amazing Sher y Punjab ..... with so many good recommendations how could we go wrong? We ordered chicken rogon josh, chicken jalfrezi, tarka dahl, pilau rice and nan. The two chicken dishes tasted exactly the same and pretty bland (jalfrezi is usually nice and spicy but this was no hotter than a korma!) the dahl was like no dahl I'd ever seen .... a pretty wierd pale green colour and very poor. The nans were like chapatis ... but the rice was good!!!!!! I've tried lots of Indians here and I can honestly say it's the most disappointing I've ever had.

I agree that you get far better in the Uk (or India!!!!!!!!!!) but if you are having a curry while you are here give Bombay Babu a try.where is it?

imablue
14-05-2013, 08:42
Torviscas,at the rear of La Niña hotel on the walkway down towards Puerto Colon ...
disappointed to hear the meal(s) at Sher y Punjab were not to your liking Foz ,they must of had an off day ....as for Babu ..my opinion no thanks ...

Red
17-05-2013, 00:18
Can honestly say I've never had a bad mouthful in Sher y Punjab. I've seen Babu advertised in different publications but not tried it. I'll check it out on tripadvisor and maybe call in when out ther next time in November to compare.
Everyone's taste is different tho but I will say, when I was in Punjab in June 2012, the place was holding a private party which had all the tables reserved for 10pm. We were just finishing our meal when the first guests started to arrive, turns out it was a for a Indian party who had business's in Tenerife...............eat where the locals eat etc......

Foz
17-05-2013, 08:32
You'll see a fair few Indians eating in Babu too ... hope you enjoy it when you give it a try x

golf birdie
17-05-2013, 09:42

I agree that you get far better in the Uk (or India!!!!!!!!!!) but if you are having a curry while you are here give Bombay Babu a try.

As I have wrote before, for me the Sher y punjab serves up the best food and the best value with Balti balti not far behind. We have taken dozens of people to Sher over the years and everytime they are impressed by the food. Something must of been very wrong the night you went. As for the curries in the UK I prefer the Sher than the ones there.

BrianT
17-05-2013, 22:02
As I have wrote before, for me the Sher y punjab serves up the best food and the best value with Balti balti not far behind. We have taken dozens of people to Sher over the years and everytime they are impressed by the food. Something must of been very wrong the night you went. As for the curries in the UK I prefer the Sher than the ones there.
We tried Sher y Punjab recently, nothing wrong with the meal but didn't make us want to hurry back. Will give Balti Balti a try next time.

Tom & Sharon
17-05-2013, 22:57
If you're on the Golf, try Haweli. It's one of my favourite restaurants in the world! Decor, typically naff Indian, but the food is gorgeous. I've not found one to beat it in the UK. Tom hates Indian, he always says "Just chuck it straight down the loo and cut out the middle man" but I love it. I go to Haweli all the time with friends and we get excellent service. The lamb dishes are particularly good, as very often lamb is a cheap cut and chewy. In Haweli the lamb is tender and delicious. It's 10.95€ for any starter plus any main and either rice or nan and a little ice cream if you want it. We always have poppadums to start, starter, main and loads of wine and chupitos and the bill is dead reasonable every time.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g672806-d2167740-Reviews-Haweli_Indian_Tandoori_Restaurant-Golf_del_Sur_Tenerife_Canary_Islands.html

joy13
17-05-2013, 23:05
I agree that you get far better in the Uk (or India!!!!!!!!!!) but if you are having a curry while you are here give Bombay Babu a try.[/QUOTE]

I agree about the Bombay Babu, have eaten there on our last two holidays in Tenerife and really enjoyed it:))

mcoady
22-05-2013, 15:31
We are curry fanatics and have had to limit ourselves to 1 a week :) the best we've had since moving out here is the Krishna Tandoori in the commercial centre along the patch. It's always empty when you go in but the food is always delicious!!!

seanocelt
22-05-2013, 15:59
my mates rate Krishna, i found it average tbh.

Angusjim
22-05-2013, 16:04

But you have give respect to the PR he is there all night everyday and seems to take rejection well:crazy: only eaten there once and I also thought it was pretty average

mcoady
22-05-2013, 16:05
We're always up for trying a new indian if you have any reccommendations?

slodgedad
22-05-2013, 16:15
We're always up for trying a new indian if you have any reccommendations?

Have a read through the 90 odd posts in this thread...

seanocelt
22-05-2013, 19:04
never seen a PR there!

Foz
22-05-2013, 19:25
Don't know the name of it but there's a place upstairs from Mercadona in St Eugenio (on the corner overlooking the road just down from the land registry office) that is also very worth a visit.

mcoady
22-05-2013, 21:08
Is this the Kashmir, if so I also agree have eaten in this restaurant a number of times and no complaints!

nuneatonred
22-05-2013, 22:59
hiya, have you tried the one under the santa maria hotel just down from harleys resturant , my wife and i eat a lot of indians at home and trust me this is up there with the best....you cannot miss this place just follow your nose .mmmmmm...there is a small friendly bar just opposite it, beers very cheap...lot of good banter in there (football related)..

seanocelt
23-05-2013, 02:41
That is Ghandi's..............i liked it too.

Foz
23-05-2013, 08:48
Is this the Kashmir, if so I also agree have eaten in this restaurant a number of times and no complaints!

Thank-you ... yes I believe that's the name xxx It's old age you know?!! Can't remember a thing!

That is Ghandi's..............i liked it too.

Yep .. I agree .... Ghandi's also serves good food.

nuneatonred
23-05-2013, 10:31
what makes me laugh is when your sitting in the bar opposite ghandi's ,the look on the faces of germans/dutch/spanish etc who walk past thinking ''what is it with brits n indian food'' :tongue: their loss.

Angusjim
23-05-2013, 16:33
Don't know the name of it but there's a place upstairs from Mercadona in St Eugenio (on the corner overlooking the road just down from the land registry office) that is also very worth a visit.

Sean the one above was restaurant I am on about obviously I never read the post correctly sorry I confused you:o

junglejim
23-05-2013, 16:57
Can´t say I was impressed with the Kashmiri at San Eugenio only mistake I made was going back a second time and it was still poor quality .
Up at that end of resort we have been to Ghandi ,Rhanis and across from Irish Rover Bombay Nights - all very enjoyable .
Bombay nights does a 3 course for just under €9 before 9 O´ clock , Ghandis does is similiar but a bit more expensive .

essexeddie
23-05-2013, 16:59
Anyone care to mention where the Sher-y-Punjab in Los Cristianos is? Is it at the back off the sea front behind Carvery?
We normally go to the Harish indian on the mirador strip. Very nice it is too.

Foz
23-05-2013, 17:02
It's adjacent to the Roast House carvery.

essexeddie
23-05-2013, 17:14
It's adjacent to the Roast House carvery.

Is that at the entrance on the left as you go into the court yard?

seanocelt
23-05-2013, 17:47
yes, the Indian is on the left, the Roast House straight ahead, Dail Fountain Irish Pub to the right.

essexeddie
23-05-2013, 18:30
Yes I have heard good reports on that one, not tried it myself.
Be over in a couple of weeks so will try it.

tub
23-05-2013, 20:03
try the bombay nites its underneath laguna1 we did a couple of times its good

essexeddie
23-05-2013, 20:10
try the bombay nites its underneath laguna1 we did a couple of times its good

Will give it a try

mcoady
23-05-2013, 20:41
hiya, have you tried the one under the santa maria hotel just down from harleys resturant , my wife and i eat a lot of indians at home and trust me this is up there with the best....you cannot miss this place just follow your nose .mmmmmm...there is a small friendly bar just opposite it, beers very cheap...lot of good banter in there (football related)..
Going to try this one out over the weekend, thanks :tiphat:

essexeddie
23-05-2013, 21:01

Is that in Las Americas?

kez1000
23-05-2013, 23:34
Sher Y Punjab has always been good for us but the last 18 months been going to Torviscas Spice, not the best looking place but food is very good.

seanocelt
24-05-2013, 01:37
Is that in Las Americas?

yes near Harleys, down the hill to the right next to Santa Maria Apts.

nuneatonred
24-05-2013, 08:25
hi , yes its near to torviscas not far from the san eugenio shopping centre...just down the steep hill on the right...well worth the trip.:tiphat:

tub
24-05-2013, 19:39
we tried the kashmiri in san eugenio thats got to be the worst indian any where it has changed its name now i think its tandori somthing not sure but its still bad

Tickey
24-05-2013, 19:47
Peshwari in San Blas has to be the most tasty I have every had - could not fault it in any way :yum:

marbro8
25-05-2013, 19:08
well after trying balti balti the other night i have to say it is the best indian food we have had in tenerife, the taste and the quality of the chicken is far superior to anything else we have had, it just melted on your tongue:yum:, the only criticism would be the breads, they where more like flat breads not the fluffy ones you get here in the uk, i suppose they do not have a tandoori oven? maybe because a good one costs about £7,000 and they are difficult to maintain?

golf birdie
26-05-2013, 13:14
well after trying balti balti the other night i have to say it is the best indian food we have had in tenerife, the taste and the quality of the chicken is far superior to anything else we have had, it just melted on your tongue:yum:, the only criticism would be the breads, they where more like flat breads not the fluffy ones you get here in the uk, i suppose they do not have a tandoori oven? maybe because a good one costs about £7,000 and they are difficult to maintain?

did you find the amount of food on the plate adequate? Love the food in there but just seem to be hungry when finished. As for the oven, I was told a couple of years back that not one Indian in Tenerife had a real tanoori oven.

marbro8
26-05-2013, 13:27
did you find the amount of food on the plate adequate? Love the food in there but just seem to be hungry when finished. As for the oven, I was told a couple of years back that not one Indian in Tenerife had a real tanoori oven.to be honest yes the portions were small and when they bought the rice out i thought it was just mine but they said it was for 2? :laugh:, but seeing as it was my first meal for about 3 days it hit the spot;), shame about not having a tandoori oven though, after all that's what asian cooking is all about:(

essexeddie
26-05-2013, 18:18
If that's the Balti Balti up past the Mirador strip Los Cristianos then I agree the meals are small. The food OKish but not enough for me.

marbro8
26-05-2013, 18:38
If that's the Balti Balti up past the Mirador strip Los Cristianos then I agree the meals are small. The food OKish but not enough for me.yep that's the one, if you have a large appetite then maybe a good buffet indian would be a better choice, but i don't think i have seen one, unless the one by churchill's is one:dontknow:

essexeddie
26-05-2013, 18:48
yep that's the one, if you have a large appetite then maybe a good buffet indian would be a better choice, but i don't think i have seen one, unless the one by churchill's is one:dontknow:

Well you obviously haven't tried the Indo/Chinese at Callao Salvaje then, cant think of the name but its on the left as you go down past where the buses stop. It does both Indian and Chinese Buffet, eat all you want of both for €8. Its brilliant.

marbro8
26-05-2013, 19:04
Well you obviously haven't tried the Indo/Chinese at Callao Salvaje then, cant think of the name but its on the left as you go down past where the buses stop. It does both Indian and Chinese Buffet, eat all you want of both for €8. Its brilliant.

.we never venture that far mate, we only go within walking distance of las americas or los cris, so the only buffet restaurants we see are the chinese ones, and the ones i have seen i wouldn't bother eating there;)

LUCKY
26-05-2013, 19:31

CHINDIAN....... its called CHINDIAN

oops forgot :feret::feret::feret:

marbro8
26-05-2013, 19:34
CHINDIAN....... its called CHINDIAN

oops forgot :feret::feret::feret:
i would have thought indinese would have sounded better:laugh:

LUCKY
26-05-2013, 19:35
well you would cos youre posh
:feret::feret::feret:

essexeddie
26-05-2013, 19:59
You can titter, try it and see. Well worth a visit.

imablue
26-05-2013, 20:05
The "Samrat" is its official name known by lots of peeps as "Chindian " all you can eat and at €8.00 well worth leaving Los Cristianos for ....go give it a try ..the bus runs every half hour ..i think ..

danno
28-05-2013, 01:08
hmmm
I ate there tonight.
Worst meal I have had in a very long time.
But then it is buffet style, so maybe if I had got there when it was 1st cooked it wouldnt have been a dried up mess!!!

if anyone has tried the new indian opposite the sunday market in LC, please give us a review. If I dont hear back, I will take a chance & let you know how they do

9PLUS
28-05-2013, 09:03
Bombay Blue C.C Safari, Playa de las Americas.

Red
28-05-2013, 09:09
The "Samrat" is its official name known by lots of peeps as "Chindian " all you can eat and at €8.00 well worth leaving Los Cristianos for ....go give it a try ..the bus runs every half hour ..i think ..

Not for me. If I want Indian food I go to a Indian restaurant, Chinese a Chinese, Italian a Italian etc. A lot of Chinese places now offer Thai and other south East Asian dishes but I've never had a enjoyable dish so best stick to what they do.

imablue
28-05-2013, 09:38
Fair enough red...it was probably 4-5 years ago when we first tried there..its relatively local for us ..but over time i suppose things change..chefs move on elsewhere ...we tried it, liked it and returned on a few occasions ..as the saying goes .."Don,t knock it till you try it!"......

Red
28-05-2013, 10:59
We're all different. To be honest, I detest buffets regardless of the food for a evening meal. I like to sit down with a menu and have my food and drinks brought to my table. Another thing is .€8 for all you can eat! Always makes ms wonder what's being compromised? The meats, the chefs skills, the drinks, the kitchen hygiene? Too much going they my head to enjoy it I think.

Jollypolly
28-05-2013, 11:34

it's called " chindian" by the locals because it was a Chinese restaurant first.

danno
28-05-2013, 12:32
It was deffo quantity over quality & for me the only item that was worth eating was the prawns in sweet & sour sauce. Next time I eat Indian that tastes like that, I will prob have cooked it myself. LOL

essexeddie
28-05-2013, 16:26
Not for me. If I want Indian food I go to a Indian restaurant, Chinese a Chinese, Italian a Italian etc. A lot of Chinese places now offer Thai and other south East Asian dishes but I've never had a enjoyable dish so best stick to what they do.

Try it first before you make comment its as good as any Indian, despite what danno said. I think its fine for the money, what do you expect for €8,...... 5*

Red
28-05-2013, 17:30
Try it first before you make comment its as good as any Indian, despite what danno said. I think its fine for the money, what do you expect for €8,...... 5*

Eddie, ive not eaten there so not fair on the restaurant for me to criticise but for €8 I'd expect to get what I paid for!

[QUOTE=marbro8;289747]well after trying balti balti the other night i have to say it is the best indian food we have had in tenerife, the taste and the quality of the chicken is far superior to anything else we have had, it just melted on your tongue:yum:, the only criticism would be the breads, they where more like flat breads not the fluffy ones you get here in the uk, i suppose they do not have a tandoori oven? maybe because a good one costs about £7,000 and they are difficult to maintain?

Marbro, only just seen this post. Told you it was a good one. We met someone out there last year who went every other night and were trying to persuade us to bin Sher y Punjab in favour of Balti Balti. We never did but went in march this year.
Very very good food and I'm sure they do have a tandoor oven judging by the meat. Can't remember the bread to be honest. Sher y Punjab defo don't have a tandoor oven but there curries are good.
Hurts me to defect from Sher to Balti (and that up hill walk is a bummer) but the food is worth it.

it's called " chindian" by the locals because it was a Chinese restaurant first.

Samrat sounds Indian not Chinese yet it was a Chinese first?

danno
01-06-2013, 00:34
Well I hit the jackpot tonight. (Especially compared to the chinese people in Calleo that try & cook indian food)
Opposite the Sunday Market in Los Cris, the new curry house, only open a few weeks. Was a bit concerned to see no one eating there when I walked past, but figured nothing ventured. The food was amazing & ive lost count in how many london curry houses Ive eaten in, so praise does not come lightly. they do a deal for about 12 euros which inc several starters + a choice of main course & a rice or naan bread. Or you can order off of the menu instead & then you get a free bottle of wine. My only criticism was being charged 9 euros for a very basic bottle of local wine & then to be charged 10 euros for a glass of baileys & a glass of Tia maria. But if you study prices of drinks etc Im sure you can avoid those minor mistakes. Food is A1 & very reasonably priced. Enjoy guys.

P.s Ive tried 3 others in los cris, in this one tops them. Shame none of them have a view, but cant have it all.

essexeddie
01-06-2013, 17:09
Well I hit the jackpot tonight. (Especially compared to the chinese people in Calleo that try & cook indian food)
Opposite the Sunday Market in Los Cris, the new curry house, only open a few weeks. Was a bit concerned to see no one eating there when I walked past, but figured nothing ventured. The food was amazing & ive lost count in how many london curry houses Ive eaten in, so praise does not come lightly. they do a deal for about 12 euros which inc several starters + a choice of main course & a rice or naan bread. Or you can order off of the menu instead & then you get a free bottle of wine. My only criticism was being charged 9 euros for a very basic bottle of local wine & then to be charged 10 euros for a glass of baileys & a glass of Tia maria. But if you study prices of drinks etc Im sure you can avoid those minor mistakes. Food is A1 & very reasonably priced. Enjoy guys.

Well I'm over next so will give it a go as its just round the corner. But for the bargain I shall still go to Calleo ;-)

imablue
02-06-2013, 12:12
We have friends over in 3 weeks time so will give this place in Los Cristianos a try, sounds similar to Ghandis there being a €12 euro buffet..

golf birdie
02-06-2013, 12:50
P.s Ive tried 3 others in los cris, in this one tops them. Shame none of them have a view, but cant have it all.

Just a question, have you tried Sher Y Punjab? Nice to know how they compare.

marbro8
02-06-2013, 13:50
Just a question, have you tried Sher Y Punjab? Nice to know how they compare.i have tried sher y punjab but liked balti balti better

tripadviser
02-06-2013, 14:54
Balti Balti is still my best. 10.95 special before 8pm cant be beat, also Vino sol 10 Euro a bottle

Red
02-06-2013, 15:19
What's it called? I'll have to wait til November but will defo have a wander down.

marbro8
02-06-2013, 15:47
What's it called? I'll have to wait til November but will defo have a wander down.if you are asking about the one opposite los cris market i don't know the name but as you come down the hill past victoria court as you get to the bottom turn left past the bank as if you are walking towards big ben and desperate dans and it's just there on the left:spin:

essexeddie
02-06-2013, 16:39
We have friends over in 3 weeks time so will give this place in Los Cristianos a try, sounds similar to Ghandis there being a €12 euro buffet..

Don't think he said it was a buffet, I may be wrong?

if you are asking about the one opposite los cris market i don't know the name but as you come down the hill past victoria court as you get to the bottom turn left past the bank as if you are walking towards big ben and desperate dans and it's just there on the left:spin:

Used to be called 'The Church' I believe.
Will give it a taste test next friday

imablue
02-06-2013, 18:55

this is the post i refer too ...if its the chuch as some have said ..thought that closed ages ago ..and wasn,t the "church" taken by someone from Harish in El Mirador...(¿ a brother ? ) i seem to remember ...

marbro8
02-06-2013, 19:13
this is the post i refer too ...if its the chuch as some have said ..thought that closed ages ago ..and wasn,t the "church" taken by someone from Harish in El Mirador...(¿ a brother ? ) i seem to remember ...i thought the church was now the queen vic?:dontknow:

essexeddie
02-06-2013, 20:21
i thought the church was now the queen vic?:dontknow:

I said it used to be called the Church and was so for quite a few years. Its been changed a few times since.
Was quite a popular Spanish restaurant with music.

golf birdie
03-06-2013, 10:10
it used to be a chinese, just past the bank. I went last night and will not be rushing back. Very disappointed in what was served up - 4/10. Should of stuck with what I know is the best, sher y punjab.

imablue
03-06-2013, 12:11
[QUOTE=essexeddie;291769]Don't think he said it was a buffet, I may be wrong?
I did say it sounds similar to Ghandis who do a €12 buffet...maybe i should have said €12 special ....

Had occasion to be down that way this morning and its named Asian Dream, a few yards along from the bank on the corner ...
Think i,ll give it a miss too after Golf Birdies comment ....

golf birdie
03-06-2013, 12:29
[QUOTE=essexeddie;291769]Don't think he said it was a buffet, I may be wrong?
I did say it sounds similar to Ghandis who do a €12 buffet...maybe i should have said €12 special ....

Had occasion to be down that way this morning and its named Asian Dream, a few yards along from the bank on the corner ...
Think i,ll give it a miss too after Golf Birdies comment ....

This is what I found wrong with it:

tandoori chicken served on a dish, should IMO be on a sizzler .

Plates for main meal not warmed. No excuse for this IMO.

Never tasted so much salt in a curry, really over powering

Pilau rice was like no other pilau rice I have ever seen or tasted.

May be to someones taste but IMO it is a few miles off the quality at the sher and Balti Balti. Should of stuck with what I know:(

danno
03-06-2013, 12:29
Sorry guys, I should have put name of restaurant but couldnt remember it exactly. So rather then look dopey, I put opposite Sunday Market. I thought there was only one sunday market in Los Cris & that everyone would know it. It is near the arona grand. The Indian is oposite & its the only one there. U can really miss it.

If you ate at the same place, then Im surprised you did not like it golf birdie.
I rated it above Balti Balti. But like you said we all have dif tastes & the thread is good even if its to find out the locations of places to try. IMO considering theres only a handful of them in los chris & LA I will try them all (-;

imablue
03-06-2013, 13:01
But what a disappointment it is when you go and try these other places and find out that one really should stick to where one has been before ....as noted we all have our differences and tastes...have tried many places and we always end up going back to where we know best ....
pity really... because Tenerife really does need better than what is available here . ....:fryingpan:

Red
03-06-2013, 16:45
this is the post i refer too ...if its the chuch as some have said ..thought that closed ages ago ..and wasn,t the "church" taken by someone from Harish in El Mirador...(¿ a brother ? ) i seem to remember ...

If its anything to do with Harish Tandoori ill give it a miss. It was without doubt the worst Indian food we've ever eaten. Ordered 4 curries all tasted the same, thick tomato slop and really salty. Brought our vina sol to the table already opened, wasn't vina sol inside so sent it back. Commented at the end of the meal to the waiter that the food, wine and service were poor. He didn't listen or care. Every time I pass there now on my way to balti balti i feel pity for anyone eating in there.

Like to add I've eaten some very poor Indian food in my time but Harish tops em all. Even a 'sorry you didn't enjoy it sir' would have brought me round a little.

imablue
03-06-2013, 16:55
Red ...i am sure it was your post (old forum..?) that made our minds up not to go there (Harish) and then of course reading that a Brother had taken the old Church place decided again ..NOT Going there either ...
don,t know who or what this new place Asian Dream is about ....not going to venture there either ...:nono:

imablue
03-06-2013, 17:27
Talking of Indians...
“Full effort is full victory.”
Mahatma Gandhi..........:whistle::eyebrows:

Red
03-06-2013, 23:59
Red ...i am sure it was your post (old forum..?) that made our minds up not to go there (Harish) and then of course reading that a Brother had taken the old Church place decided again ..NOT Going there either ...
don,t know who or what this new place Asian Dream is about ....not going to venture there either ...:nono:

Honestly mate it was terrible. Stick to Sher or Balti.

tfs1
04-06-2013, 08:32
not that I'm a curry gourmet but we have never had a bad meal at Balti Balti.

Been to the Indian opposite Admiral Travel (Los Cris) which was fine and reasonable but Balti seem to have a more 'classy' feel to it - if you know what I mean !

marbro8
04-06-2013, 18:20
not that I'm a curry gourmet but we have never had a bad meal at Balti Balti.

Been to the Indian opposite Admiral Travel (Los Cris) which was fine and reasonable but Balti seem to have a more 'classy' feel to it - if you know what I mean !the curry is nice just wish they could get the breads right:dontknow:

salfordian72
16-03-2014, 10:47
Does anyone know a decent Indian restaurant in the costa adeje/Torviscas area? Tried a few but other than Ghandi's being ok, we can't seem to find a really good one.

PeterJ
16-03-2014, 13:06
Have you tried Bombay Babu near the Hotel Nina in Torviscas? Def worth a try

9PLUS
16-03-2014, 13:07
Is Balti Balti just above El Mirador ?

marbro8
16-03-2014, 13:37
Is Balti Balti just above El Mirador ?yep just bast bar 39:)

9PLUS
16-03-2014, 18:04
yep just bast bar 39:)

OK we got a take away from there like 2 weeks ago.

I Guess mine was a mistake

Service was Great and owner and missus seem really nice people.

Nams and the pasanda were really tasty.

Poppadoms werent 100% crispy more than likely because They werent freshly made. Think They stack them in bulk, maybe OK in the summer but with there being damp in the air at Night just doesnt work.

I tried the Chicken TM and it still had half a green chilly in it when I arrived home, tasted like battery acid would have "I guess" no flavour whatsoever, but I eat it anyway cause I is hard. Everything was going well until I woke up at 4:30 in the morning and suffered for nearly 2 days.

Pet hate with Indian food is I don't like it when it all looks blended, like soup I like texture and to see the herbs in it at least.

Will I go again, yeah for sure.

imablue
16-03-2014, 19:52
:)When you say will you go again... is that to the Indian or the place where you suffered ....:whistle:

9PLUS
16-03-2014, 20:58
To Balti Balti of course.

Foz
18-03-2014, 23:36
Has anyone tried the Indian behind the safari centre/fountain area where Harry's cocktail bar is to be found?

bubbles84
20-03-2014, 21:00
Are you talking about Bombay Blue Foz? We went there last summer and it was ok, not anything special not much flavour to them. Poppadoms weren't very fresh either so wouldn't really go back again if im honest.

Red
21-03-2014, 00:17
Does anyone know a decent Indian restaurant in the costa adeje/Torviscas area? Tried a few but other than Ghandi's being ok, we can't seem to find a really good one.

We used to go to Ranis in Pueblo Canario near Bouganville Playa hotel. Was very good food. Would like to go back to Ranis one day but LC has a couple of good ones with Sher y Punjab and Balti Balti.

Foz
21-03-2014, 12:21
Are you talking about Bombay Blue Foz? We went there last summer and it was ok, not anything special not much flavour to them. Poppadoms weren't very fresh either so wouldn't really go back again if im honest.

No x sorry I don't know the name of the place ( I have "Love India" in my mind but could be wrong!) if you are underneath Harry's bar on the level where the fountains are you go through a walkway and there are a line of new places there. All owned by the same company but each with a different cuisine. I think one is called Meltrose Place.

9PLUS
21-03-2014, 12:25
Fox is talking about the walkway directly behind the Safari centre that backs onto Hotel Best Tenerife.

honda
21-03-2014, 13:24
Ghandi's is about the best.

bubbles84
22-03-2014, 20:51
Ah right ok, well if you end up going let us know how you get on.

9PLUS
15-05-2014, 09:01
OK we got a take away from there like 2 weeks ago.

I Guess mine was a mistake

Service was Great and owner and missus seem really nice people.

Nams and the pasanda were really tasty.

Poppadoms werent 100% crispy more than likely because They werent freshly made. Think They stack them in bulk, maybe OK in the summer but with there being damp in the air at Night just doesnt work.

I tried the Chicken TM and it still had half a green chilly in it when I arrived home, tasted like battery acid would have "I guess" no flavour whatsoever, but I eat it anyway cause I is hard. Everything was going well until I woke up at 4:30 in the morning and suffered for nearly 2 days.

Pet hate with Indian food is I don't like it when it all looks blended, like soup I like texture and to see the herbs in it at least.

Will I go again, yeah for sure.

So an update in this restaurant, went again a couple of nights ago, the service is still 110% we ordered exactly the same and couldn't fault it, the poppadoms were perfect and the CTM was still hot for a medium but no where near last time.

I'll put it dont to the chilli being an extra hot one as they are sometime .

Ecky Thump
15-05-2014, 14:14
I had my first Indian meal in Tenerife last night at the Balti Balti restaurant in Los Christianos (Marbro payed), there was seven of us and every one had a excellent meal, I had Lamb Biryani and I can honestly say it was probably the tenderest lamb in a Indian restaurant that I've had.

Malteser Monkey
15-05-2014, 14:21
I had my first Indian meal in Tenerife last night at the Balti Balti restaurant in Los Christianos (Marbro payed), there was seven of us and every one had a excellent meal, I had Lamb Biryani and I can honestly say it was probably the tenderest lamb in a Indian restaurant that I've had.

I've always preferred Indian food in Tenerife - it seems much more tasty more "vibrant" is that the word I'm looking for ?

Here they seem to purify everything - we have a good one in the village but just not.

kingbaker
15-05-2014, 16:09

So everypne happy .......except the lamb!!!!!!!!:p

Malteser Monkey
15-05-2014, 16:24
So everypne happy .......except the lamb!!!!!!!!:p

and @mabro8

tfs1
15-05-2014, 17:47
I can honestly say it was probably the tenderest lamb in a Indian restaurant that I've had.

Totally agree - I have nothing else when we go.

kingbaker
15-05-2014, 17:53
Must be a big lamb!:D

fionaeliotjones
15-05-2014, 20:33
Sher Y Punjab (In the courtyard opposite the Roast House) Los Cristianos is the best I have tasted so far. always consistently top class.

If you mention Tenerife Forum membership, there's 10% discount

Enjoy

Stoney
15-05-2014, 20:43
Tried all of them in Los Cris and PDLA without doubt the best is Rani's in Pueblo Canario been loads of times and the food has always been excellent.

Ecky Thump
15-05-2014, 21:10
Must be a big lamb!:D

It was a lamb to the slaughter!

essexeddie
15-05-2014, 21:29
We stopped going to Balti Balti it just wasn't right, the Chicken was tasteless, it seemed to lack something. They are never as good as the UK Indians. But will try the one in the square in front of the Carvery. Haven't been there for years.

TOPGUN77
15-05-2014, 21:43
We stopped going to Balti Balti it just wasn't right, the Chicken was tasteless, it seemed to lack something. They are never as good as the UK Indians. But will try the one in the square in front of the Carvery. Haven't been there for years.

We got a take away from there really disappointed the sauces where very watery and the portions where small in comparison to the UK quite expensive aswell.

essexeddie
15-05-2014, 21:55
We also thought the portions small in comparison to UK. But then in the UK we have 17 Indian Restaurants in our area to choose from :)

imablue
15-05-2014, 23:01
Tried all of them in Los Cris and PDLA without doubt the best is Rani's in Pueblo Canario been loads of times and the food has always been excellent.

We all have different tastes and opinions.. sorry but my opinion on there is not allowed to be printed on here ..

timmylish
16-05-2014, 00:57
I,ve followed Rani,s career for the last 20 years or so and although I,ve never been able to get down there for 4/5 years I was delighted to see the positive comments written on here so you can imagine my surprise and disappointment at Imablue,s negative comment. Perhaps it was just a bad choice in meal selected because I,ve never and I mean NEVER ever received substandard from Rani who I presume still does most of the cooking himself (if he is still cancer free!). I really must make the effort so that I can comment from a person position.

imablue
16-05-2014, 23:10
Again.. i say we all have different preferences..its a very long time since i went to Rani,s ..but that once was enough .whatever we as a party of 4 ate wont ever change mine or the other 3,s opinion ...There are plenty of choices of Indian Restaurants here........nuff said as far as i,m concerned ..

Ecky Thump
17-05-2014, 13:23
We all have different tastes and opinions.. sorry but my opinion on there is not allowed to be printed on here ..

I agree....One mans meat is another mans poison.

We can ony give our opinions and we shouldn't be shouted down for having them. :-)

kez1000
17-05-2014, 14:47
Torviscas Spice has very good food and a popular following but not the best restaurant surroundings, more of a bar. I hear he is opening a formal night time restaurant in new premises so should be interesting. Before I went regular to Torviscas Spice we used to take a trip to Los Cris to the Sher Y Punjab - very good food by TFS standards.

BrianT
17-05-2014, 18:23
We are of to Star of Bengal tonight after footie finished. Never found a great Indian in Los Cristiano's, Star of Bengal is best we have been to though here.

marbro8
17-05-2014, 20:10
we went to balti balti the other night, ecky carol me my wife sis in law her hubby and daughter and it was fantastic;)

imablue
25-05-2014, 22:23
Tonight/this evening.. we have eaten at one of our favourite places though we haven,t been for a while ..
and i can only say the place ,the food and the service is as good as it has always been..
full marks 10 outta 10 "Krishna 2"
cc las americas opposite Parque Santiago 2 ..

blondie
26-05-2014, 14:20
I hear many requests from people asking for a good Indian restaurant but after a rebuke I received from someone because of the look of the Krishna 11 and where it was situated I have never proposed it again. In all the years we have been coming we have definately found this to be the best Indian food you will eat anywhere. The friendly service which is given makes you feel welcome and wanting to return, prices are so reasonable as well. Well done to Mohan and his team .

imablue
26-05-2014, 18:15
Just keep going there Blondie, ignore the people that won,t take your advise ..their loss.
Mo has always looked after us. Its where we live that stops us going more frequently but Mo has a smile on his face every time he sees us ....

essexeddie
26-05-2014, 18:48
We are over next week for a month so will give Krishna 11 a go. Haven't found one as good as back in Blighty yet.

imablue
26-05-2014, 23:18
E Eddie we have probably all said the same about the indians here compared to the UK.... Taking that into account hope you enjoy Krishna 2 ..and we await you,re opinions ...

tenerifemummy
01-06-2014, 00:04
Taj - San Blas!!! is the best, everything is sooo tasty & as good as back home in UK if not better xx

Ecky Thump
01-06-2014, 09:25
E Eddie we have probably all said the same about the indians here compared to the UK.... Taking that into account hope you enjoy Krishna 2 ..and we await you,re opinions ...

I don't know why people keep comparing food, services, property etc. with "what we get at home", I thought the whole idea of a holiday was to be in a place that's different, with different cultures, food, shower, entertainment and even our good old "Cup of Tea".

I'm sure that if we stood in a British pub in the UK and heard some "Foreigner" moaning about the beer, someone would say to them, "Why did you bl##dy move here for then".

Rant over.........Nearly.....maybe there should be a thread called. ..."CompareTheMoaners.Com":cheeky:

Angusjim
01-06-2014, 09:44
I don't know why people keep comparing food, services, property etc. with "what we get at home", I thought the whole idea of a holiday was to be in a place that's different, with different cultures, food, shower, entertainment and even our good old "Cup of Tea".

I'm sure that if we stood in a British pub in the UK and heard some "Foreigner" moaning about the beer, someone would say to them, "Why did you bl##dy move here for then".

Rant over.........Nearly.....maybe there should be a thread called. ..."CompareTheMoaners.Com":cheeky:

Dark room sit / chill:laugh::laugh:

Ecky Thump
01-06-2014, 09:51
Dark room sit / chill:laugh::laugh:

Grrr. To some people, if it's not within 20 miles of the M25, then it's not British made or it doesn't taste right!:jumping::mad::scared:

Angusjim
01-06-2014, 10:11
Grrr. To some people, if it's not within 20 miles of the M25, then it's not British made or it doesn't taste right!:jumping::mad::scared:
Quite right Ecky its like people who holiday in residential complexes what are they a aboot:redcard::c2:

Ecky Thump
01-06-2014, 10:17
Quite right Ecky its like people who holiday in residential complexes what are they a aboot:redcard::c2:

Yes, I don't mind the folk there who are having the use of a relatives apartment or from a close friend, it's the ones who proclaim to have cousins in every corner of Tenerife, it's something that the authorities will have to watch out for.:nono:

blondie
01-06-2014, 10:25
Well said Ecky. I get tired of folk who are looking for tatties and mince abroad, having said that the Ayrshires are oot . £1 85 a pound, wonder what my late dad would have said aboot that eh?

Angusjim
01-06-2014, 10:28
Yea same as people who go to Indain restaurants wit's it a boo:lol::c2:

Ecky Thump
01-06-2014, 10:39
Yea same as people who go to Indain restaurants wit's it a boo:lol::c2:

Jim, has the Star of Bengal in Tenerife anything to do with the Star Hotel in Montrose?!:laugh:

Well said Ecky. I get tired of folk who are looking for tatties and mince abroad, having said that the Ayrshires are oot . £1 85 a pound, wonder what my late dad would have said aboot that eh?

They were digging them up between Seamill & Ardrossan yesterday, not sure about down between Ayr & Girvan.

Angusjim
01-06-2014, 14:11
Jim, has the Star of Bengal in Tenerife anything to do with the Star Hotel in Montrose?!:laugh:

They were digging them up between Seamill & Ardrossan yesterday, not sure about down between Ayr & Girvan.

Carol is possibly better placed to answer your query regarding the "Star" as she frequents both places:laugh:

gob60
01-06-2014, 17:38
Was in Star Hotel (mad place) in Montrose last Saturday for Montrose Music Festival and the Bay of Bengal in Christianos is cleaner.
Status Quo played but not in Star, the old rockers have still got it.

Ecky Thump
01-06-2014, 17:59
Was in Star Hotel (mad place) in Montrose last Saturday for Montrose Music Festival and the Bay of Bengal in Christianos is cleaner.
Status Quo played but not in Star, the old rockers have still got it.

Welcome to the forum and a good first post, but you missed out that the Star hotel is not only mad, but Filthy....maybe a cleaner would help!:laugh:

Angusjim
02-06-2014, 08:04
Welcome to the forum and a good first post, but you missed out that the Star hotel is not only mad, but Filthy....maybe a cleaner would help!:laugh:

I thought you said in a post somewhere that Carol & her sister had cleaned up in the Star:whistle::laugh:

kingbaker
02-06-2014, 08:09
I thought you said in a post somewhere that Carol & her sister had cleaned up in the Star:whistle::laugh:

Cleaned out the vodka bottles:D

Ecky Thump
02-06-2014, 08:18

Only financially ....cleanliness was not in their remit!:whistle:

If Carol ever reads this thread, then both you and I are dead.:twak::twak:

willowlily
26-02-2017, 13:46
I am looking for an up to date recommendation for a good indian restaurant
the one I normally go to is at the city centre shopping mall across form the patch but is only open evenings
anyone know of a better than average one in the los cris los Americas area open for lunch today

Angusjim
26-02-2017, 14:13
WW we love https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g562820-d1874808-Reviews-Gandhi-Playa_de_las_Americas_Tenerife_Canary_Islands.h maybe a bit far away for you but is open

blondie
26-02-2017, 14:53
I am looking for an up to date recommendation for a good indian restaurant
the one I normally go to is at the city centre shopping mall across form the patch but is only open evenings
anyone know of a better than average one in the los cris los Americas area open for lunch today

Yes , our fav as well , never found one to match it in quality . service and price . Krishna 2 for those unaquainted with it .

Tshirt
26-02-2017, 16:12
WW we love https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g562820-d1874808-Reviews-Gandhi-Playa_de_las_Americas_Tenerife_Canary_Islands.h maybe a bit far away for you but is open

Ghandi's for me too, we normally get the set menu as a takeaway, one set menu plus an extra starter does the 2 of us. Last time we stayed in the Santa Maria our apartment was up above Ghandis, the aromas were too good to resist.:cooking::hungry:

junglejim
26-02-2017, 17:13
New Indian above San Eugenio shopping centre - connected with Ghandi downnhill- is very good ,wife & friends have been a few times now and enjoyed it.

willowlily
26-02-2017, 20:09

Thanks Angusjim we decided to take a 10 min taxi and was not disappointed with this restaurant, as soon as we saw a few indian families eating there we knew it must be good.

tub
26-02-2017, 21:10
we always go to the one in city center mall never had a bad one yet and we live in leicester and there are more indian restaurants than any other kind in the city so we are a bit picky on what we call a good indian

willowlily
26-02-2017, 23:31
we always go to the one in city center mall never had a bad one yet and we live in leicester and there are more indian restaurants than any other kind in the city so we are a bit picky on what we call a good indian

that's the one I normally go but only open in the evening, I have always found this a good place to eat and reasonably price.