PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport Is it possible to insure a car for 6 months each year?

nickinexeter
08-09-2013, 16:43
Hi all,
am about to become a regular 'swallow'. Need to purchase a car in Tenerife but the question I have is whether it is possible to get a 6 month insurance policy. The idea of having car and insurance both here and in UK for the whole year, wasting lots of money, does not seem a good one. Have looked at driving my car over but that gets even more expensive.... Anyone have any idea of whether this is available? Thanks for all help!

TOPGUN77
08-09-2013, 22:27
Why not hire a car ,was talking to someone today and she pays 200 euro a month which includes insurance,tax maintenance etc

casabonny
09-09-2013, 09:13
It is not possible ( or legal ) to insure a car here just for six months. Policies are annual but some Spanish companies allow split payments over the period. However it is ILLEGAL to have a car uninsured in Spain even if it is not on the road.
However having said that insurance here is generally cheaper than the UK and if you went for basic third party liability you would get a good price , but of course it would depend on what car you had.
Why not give Motorworld ( follow link in my signature )a call or e mail as they do the complete package ?You can use your NCB here with most companies provided you have a certificate from your current insurer.
Good luck. A word of warning though if buying privately, DO NOT PART WITH ANY MONEY until you have had the car checked out as it may not be transferable. If you are buying from a garage who ACTUALLY own the cars they are selling and are not selling on behalf of a third party you would not have this problem as they would have no debts as the company would have checked this before they purchased, there are not many like that though, most are selling on behalf of someone else.

nickinexeter
09-09-2013, 12:08
Thanks Casabonny and Topgunn! I have been considering just rental, and did not realise you could do it quite that cheap. I also did not know any of the rules about insuring a car for the whole year. If the car was tucked away in a garage for 6 months, how would anyone actually know it was not insured?
My real reason for buying is that I bought a house last winter (a bit by accident!), came back to UK straight after. Now I have to get lots done as soon as I return. Got to buy furniture, new kitchen, etc etc. I need something big enough to ship stuff around and did wonder if that would be pretty expensive to rent, hence thought I would have to buy. Its then also an investment for the future, always there waiting for me etc. I have looked at Motorworld and they have not got anything suitable at present. I guess I will have to play it by ear when I get out there, but it is a bit catch 22. Need a car to go looking at cars to buy, so prob have to rent in first instance. Find a car to buy, cannot drive it cos no insurance.....need reg no before you can arrange insurance I suspect. Thought of driving my UK car over but that is a whole new set of problems and cost.....!

doingok
09-09-2013, 13:27
Revs motors do the check for 10 euros https://www.facebook.com/revs.tenerife?fref=ts Nick renting is a good idead but every 6 months its costing you 1200 if 200 a month and for that i would think it wouldnt be a good looking car i.e dents,pint work damge and so on, at least if you buy a car you know what has been done or not plus all above board.the insurance as its been said is very cheaper here so maybe worth a look around.

timmylish
10-09-2013, 03:48
Give our respected vehicle expert on this Forum, Mark of Ashro Motors. PM him with your thoughts and he,ll help you out with long term rental, at least for the first 6 months, after which time you can make a final decision on what to buy etc. He does sales as well. Fantastic mechanic and a very large number of members use his services.
Isurance for vehicles in Spain is different to that of the UK in that it is the VEHICLE which is insured and not like in the UK the OWNER/DRIVER. Hence the need to insure the car at all times whether in the public domain or on private property. I seem to recall that household policies here do not cover fire damage to cars in the event of a fire in your household garage etc.

essexeddie
16-09-2013, 19:19
I went to Motorworld for our first car and was very pleased with the service they gave. They do everything for you as its a bit of a mine field for an outsider.
Will be going back when we upgrade that's for sure.