PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport Tailgaters on the TF1. Are they idiots, bullies or both?

irishmusico
12-09-2013, 18:10
So I am on the TF1 overtaking in the inside lane at 120kph as is allowed,when some other car comes up behind me and sits up my ass flashing lights,also at 120kph.Not even a car length back. I can't change lanes to move as the cars on the outside lane are all playing the same game.do I.......
1.Ignore it

3. Try to swerve into the outside lane and hope I don't hit another car.

3. Slow down gradually to annoy them/stop and punch them

4. Get a sticker for my back window that says,if you can read this you are an idiot. :)

warbey
12-09-2013, 20:04
Stop. They are telling You something is wrong with Your Car.. Could even be Policia.?

Seriously, there are Idiots Everywhere

I would tend to slow down or slam on the Brakes then claim whiplash when They hit You...

lesbroz
12-09-2013, 20:04
Number 3 .....................................

Loaded
12-09-2013, 20:08
Hmmmm debatable and totally dependent on individual circumstances.....

Personally I'm fed up of driving along at 120-140 (I know I'm speeding ) and some tit pulls out without looking forcing me to slow down to under 100km!

Again sometimes I'm doing 120 and catch up with another car and some of them are doing 90-110 in the "fast lane" . They don't move over, some seem to think its perfectly ok to stay out in that lane, almost forcing faster drivers to do a dangerous stunt and "undertake".

Personally if I get someone up my **** I move over as quickly as possible.

slodgedad
12-09-2013, 20:11
Whenever I get one I slow my speed to match the other lane, effectively creating a road block

imablue
12-09-2013, 20:18
get out of their way ....and maybe .. "just maybe"... say to yourself ..i hope i dont see you further up this route involved in an accident.........:eyebrows:

warbey
12-09-2013, 20:23
get out of their way ....and maybe .. "just maybe"... say to yourself ..i hope i dont see you further up this route involved in an accident.........:eyebrows:

Not sure it would be an "Accident". I feel sorry for the poor So and so they Hit and maybe Injure.

It will happen, only question is When..?

imablue
12-09-2013, 20:28
I was thinking more of them accidentally hitting a bridge parapet ...;)..
rather than involving anyone else ......

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I suppose we all say impatience is the cause....!!--??..have you ever been stuck behind the "Wally Trolley"....in first gear for about it seems 10 minutes ...now theres some food for thought ...
sorry a bit off topic ....but ...

timmylish
12-09-2013, 23:49
It entirely depends on the car I,m driving and I don,t mean the marque but more the condition of or whether its a rental from a large multi-national. I,ll leave the rest to your imagination.

irishmusico
13-09-2013, 03:21
Thanks for the replies,but just to reiterate....I am driving in the fast lane,at the legally allowed maximum speed.I cannot get out of the way of the car who is illegally up my ass trying to get me to move,because there are 4 cars to my righthand side and three are tailgating so it is impossible for me to safely maneuver out of the way of the car which trying to get past me.

I passed my test out here a couple of years ago so the things they thought me,like caution and manners have not been completely eroded from my brain.So when I come upon a daft situation,at high speed,that flies in the face of safe driving and common sense,I am just wondering what is the wisest course of action :)

candy2411
13-09-2013, 07:32
Unfortunately bad drivers are everywhere, you see it in the UK all the time,usually boy racers and they wonder why insurance is so high for under 25s!

However, in Tenerife it's completely appalling and I sympathise.I avoid using the expressway if I possibly can for the very reason mentioned in the OP.You see it all the time.

The other thing that annoys me is the constant use of blasting the horn for any reason.....all it does is confuse drivers everywhere as no-one knows why? and is it them?

Much safer on the bus !!:wink:

Bob
13-09-2013, 12:18
i was driving from Chafiras to Los Cris yesterday and doing 120 in the outside lane with a line of about 10 cars in front of me, this idiot with his wife in the front and baby in the back decides to overtake me on the inside lane at the run up to the Parque exit, had any car decided to join the motorway he would have had nowhere to go, unsuccessful he decides to do exactly the same at the Guazza turn off, iīm afraid itīs only a matter of time before he becomes a stastistic, itīs the wife and child i feel sorry for.

seanocelt
13-09-2013, 14:52
Of all the places i have driven in(many) Tenerife has caused me most stress, you cannot take anything for granted, anticipation is a constant. Not enjoyable, i bought a cheap wee Clio , all the nice cars get dented!

blondie
13-09-2013, 16:17
Of all the places i have driven in(many) Tenerife has caused me most stress, you cannot take anything for granted, anticipation is a constant. Not enjoyable, i bought a cheap wee Clio , all the nice cars get dented!

From the minute I get into the taxi at Tenerife airport I do not lift my head, its a much dreaded journey for me till I get to our hotel. My OH has acyually taken to sit in the front seat with the kamakazi driver, he says its safer beside him that it is with me, what with grabbing his legs both with the landing and the taxi journey he comments on his bruises all week. The driving is horrendous in Tenerife I would not drive there for a lottery win its so scarey.

hackney58
13-09-2013, 16:57
When drivers do this to me I flick my rear high viability light on.
this gives the impression i am breaking, they then brake and give me more space.
always seams to work.

TOPGUN77
13-09-2013, 17:25
Same here i'm quite surprised I havn't had a heart attack yet,the Spanish are brain dead when it comes to driving.Today I had some idiot overtake me on a dangerous bend up in the mountains car coming the otherway which he must have missed by inches :angry:,they never indicate, they double park even on zebra crossings the times I have had a near miss on a roundabout when the cut across you when they are on the inside lane,most of the time they hang of your rear bumper makes my blood boil.

who-r-ya
13-09-2013, 18:16
From the minute I get into the taxi at Tenerife airport I do not lift my head, its a much dreaded journey for me till I get to our hotel. My OH has acyually taken to sit in the front seat with the kamakazi driver, he says its safer beside him that it is with me, what with grabbing his legs both with the landing and the taxi journey he comments on his bruises all week. The driving is horrendous in Tenerife I would not drive there for a lottery win its so scarey.

hahahahaha I am the same I arrive not only tired but a nervous wreck! me or hubby would dare to sit in front with the nutters!

essexeddie
13-09-2013, 19:16
I usually ignore them and when safe slowly move over. Don't rush though.

Try driving round the M25 in rush hour lol

Loaded
13-09-2013, 19:26
My favourite it when they stop on a roundabout to let people out or pick someone up!!!

Greg
13-09-2013, 20:40
Unless you are a policeman you have no right to dictate to others the speed they can travel at. Either get out of the way or buy a faster car. Just because you are travelling at the speed limit it gives you no right to hold up the rest of us with proper cars who want to have a good time. Get out of the way and be a good sport. :tiphat:

Loaded
13-09-2013, 20:41
Unless you are a policeman you have no right to dictate to others the speed they can travel at. Either get out of the way or buy a faster car. Just because you are travelling at the speed limit it gives you no right to hold up the rest of us with proper cars who want to have a good time. Get out of the way and be a good sport. :tiphat:

I agree with Toad of Toad hall! Toot toot!

essexeddie
13-09-2013, 20:45
Looks like you are both of them.

Looks like you are both of them. ;-)

TOPGUN77
14-09-2013, 01:36
What a load of rollocks its people like you that cause accidents.

Ecky Thump
14-09-2013, 08:33

What a load of rollocks its people like you that cause accidents.

Like Greg's advice or not, the only safe and sensible thing to do with a tailgater is get out of the way as soon as its safe to do, any other action is likely to cause a accident.

The mention of buying a faster car is a bit "tongue in cheek".:wink:

Loaded
14-09-2013, 09:25
Was on tf1 last night and ended up behind someone in the outside lane doing 85km/h with NO CARS in the right hand lane for the visible road ahead!!!

It's no wonder some drivers get up close, beep, flash etc.....

Loaded
14-09-2013, 09:35
Was on tf1 last night and ended up behind someone in the outside lane doing 85km/h with NO CARS in the right hand lane for the visible road ahead!!!

candy2411
14-09-2013, 10:26

Can't believe you're stupid or insane, so that's got to be a 'tongue in cheek' statement:wink:

Yes the world is full of bad drivers :mad: but there is never an excuse for road rage:nono:

irishmusico
14-09-2013, 15:05

Beep and flash by all means,but driving up close is dangerous and illegal.

Esskay
15-09-2013, 07:48
If you're in that position, and can't move over, I'd say that you just need to look after yourself. Don't put yourself at risk out of desperation to please the idiot behind you. Ignore them and when you can safely move back into the other lane, do it. Don't speed up either - stick to the limit.

Bloody hell, I'm sounding far too serious these days... :wow:

I must admit though, if anyone does that to me over here in, on an ordinary road, I have been known to either very very gradually slow down or stick at the same speed while gently touching the brake pedal, just enough to turn the brake lights on but not actually slow me down :spin: Plus I'm 6'+ with shaved head and apparently I look like a gangster when I have my winter hat and / or sunglasses on .. so a quick glare over my shoulder sometimes works too. :scared:

BoPeep
15-09-2013, 09:23
We keep off the TF1 wherever possible. The updated 'old' road from Chafiras to Los Cris is much less stressful but I feel sorry for the workers who need to get somewhere quickly and time is money.

Cant help feeling it will get worse when the new port starts affecting it.

kez1000
15-09-2013, 16:58
Turn up the radio, wind the window down fully and enjoy the sunshine.

karinagal
16-09-2013, 09:41
Funnily enough, I don't find the drivers here aggressive - more impatient! As others have said, keep to the speed you're comfortable at (as long as you're still passing cars in the slower lane) and then return to the slow lane when it is safe to do so.

irishmusico
16-09-2013, 12:12
P
If you're in that position, and can't move over, I'd say that you just need to look after yourself. Don't put yourself at risk out of desperation to please the idiot behind you. Ignore them and when you can safely move back into the other lane, do it. Don't speed up either - stick to the limit.

Bloody hell, I'm sounding far too serious these days... :wow:

I must admit though, if anyone does that to me over here in, on an ordinary road, I have been known to either very very gradually slow down or stick at the same speed while gently touching the brake pedal, just enough to turn the brake lights on but not actually slow me down :spin: Plus I'm 6'+ with shaved head and apparently I look like a gangster when I have my winter hat and / or sunglasses on .. so a quick glare over my shoulder sometimes works too. :scared:
Thank you for that. The gangster look sounds good. I just need to get some hi heels and shave my head. I don't know if that will work for a 50 year old man though :)

TOPGUN77
16-09-2013, 16:09
Funnily enough, I don't find the drivers here aggressive - more impatient! As others have said, keep to the speed you're comfortable at (as long as you're still passing cars in the slower lane) and then return to the slow lane when it is safe to do so.
Are you for real this has to be the worst country I have driven in,every day is a trauma,had another idiot try to overtake me on a bend with a car coming the other way why oh why do they do it,plus on a roundabout keeping to the outside lane and then you get cut up by another idiot on the inside cut across you to turn right.The Spanish are brain dead when they get behind the wheel,when they are not they are really nice people.

essexeddie
16-09-2013, 19:12
I think the roads on the island are a doddle compared where I come from. Edge of London.
I dropped a friend off at Heathrow today, now that's what you call traffic, four lanes at 70 mph. You have to have nerves of steel and eyes up your jacksy.

slodgedad
16-09-2013, 21:28
Are you for real this has to be the worst country I have driven in,every day is a trauma,had another idiot try to overtake me on a bend with a car coming the other way why oh why do they do it,plus on a roundabout keeping to the outside lane and then you get cut up by another idiot on the inside cut across you to turn right.The Spanish are brain dead when they get behind the wheel,when they are not they are really nice people.
Totally disagree. I have driven here for a number of years and mainland Europe too, and the only country I am nervous about driving in is the UK. I avoid it like the plague

karinagal
16-09-2013, 22:21

I stand by my comment - I didn't say anything about there not being idiots out there on the road, (every country has those) only that I hadn't found them to be aggressive! In the UK if you go slow in the middle or outside lane, you'd get a car up your rear end flashing its lights and the driver gesturing wildly while screaming obscenities at you.... Here they drive too close and yes, that is dangerous but I still believe that they are more impatient than aggressive...

doingok
18-09-2013, 23:48
Do not go to Bali or Thailand bloody night mare but great fun, i have to say though its not hard here to drive but i have never known drivers to drive so close then they flash they lights at you. only did it once but had enough of the **** behind and just braked.

timmylish
19-09-2013, 03:00

Totally disagree. The drivers here are impatient but they are that way in every day to day situation. 24 years of driving here was perfect training for my couple of years in Russia (you,ve no doubt seen the youtube clips), Milan and Paris. You,ve never lived until you,ve driven in those parts. One question, please. If things are so bad here why oh why are levels of accidents not higher?

Angusjim
19-09-2013, 07:54
Totally disagree. The drivers here are impatient but they are that way in every day to day situation. 24 years of driving here was perfect training for my couple of years in Russia (you,ve no doubt seen the youtube clips), Milan and Paris. You,ve never lived until you,ve driven in those parts. One question, please. If things are so bad here why oh why are levels of accidents not higher?

So overtaking on blind corners, cutting you off on roundabouts and driving 6" from car in front etc etc is just impatience, I call it dangerous driving carried out by morons but you cannot say that on here if its Canarians that do it

TOPGUN77
19-09-2013, 11:09

All I can say is you must drive like the Spanish do and are oblivious to your way of thinking.I see accidents nearly every day plus why are there so many body shops on such a small island,answer because there are so many accidents they can't keep up repairing them.
Just to add I have been driving for 40 years and have driven in France,Malta,Greece,Turkey & Cyprus and don't feel half as nervous as I do driving in Tenerife.

fonica
19-09-2013, 11:24
WHich is why it's a great place to be on the transplant list!!!!!Never mind the locals,what about the Russians?

Chayofa Tete
19-09-2013, 13:19
Simple answer, both

who-r-ya
22-09-2013, 15:09
Looks like you are both of them.

. hahahaha I agree matey!

Sundowner
22-09-2013, 21:53
I stand by my comment - I didn't say anything about there not being idiots out there on the road, (every country has those) only that I hadn't found them to be aggressive! In the UK if you go slow in the middle or outside lane, you'd get a car up your rear end flashing its lights and the driver gesturing wildly while screaming obscenities at you.... Here they drive too close and yes, that is dangerous but I still believe that they are more impatient than aggressive...

Next time get out of the way:devil2: