PDA

View Full Version : Is cooking really that expensive in Tenerife?

doncarlos
24-09-2013, 17:58
I’ve been drastically trying to get my electricity bill down to below €150 a month. I’ve replaced the hot water heater, installed solar water heating, got a few of these (http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B002PLXR8E/ref=s9_qpp_gw_p23_d21_ir02?pf_rd_m=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=13455NEDEX2148R38R2A&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=312235447&pf_rd_i=602357031)to take the TVs of standby, a few of these (http://www.amazon.es/Hama-00047770-LCD/dp/B0047Y4RJU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380041352&sr=8-2&keywords=medidor+consumo)to understand where the electrons go, changed all the regular bulbs to LEDS, installed a solar ventilation system and now we're switching off the computers when they’re not in use.

We’re still using about 25kWh a day and then I realised it’s all the potajes, lentejas and caldos that are being produced. We have a 6.6kW Balay ceramic/induction hob with a 3kW oven. When she cooks these things she leaves them on the boil for hours and hence the contributions that we make to Endesa. I’ve calculated that for 21cm ring (2.2kw) I’m paying about €0.45 per hour. So, is it usual for them to spend so long using these appliances or do we have to change our diet (to salads and fruit)?

bonitatime
24-09-2013, 18:12
Have you thought about a slow cooker?

doncarlos
24-09-2013, 18:16
No I haven’t really. I think I need to do some research. Would you recommend one?

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

No I haven’t really. I think I need to do some research. Would you recommend one?

canarybird
24-09-2013, 18:16
A slow cooker takes even more time and electricity. What you need is a FAST cooker. You need a PRESSURE COOKER. It cuts a great amount of cooking time. Fagor is a good brand.

bonitatime
24-09-2013, 18:18
You've destroyed my thinking I was sure they were cheap to run. I took will now need to investigate

doncarlos
24-09-2013, 18:22
Already have the pressure cooker - somewhere. But it's a good point, perhaps we should try taking it out of its box.

bonitatime
24-09-2013, 18:24
Looking online it would seem if you are stewing then a slow poker is the cheapest way

canarybird
24-09-2013, 18:26
A pressure cooker can cook in one third of the time is takes to cook without pressure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wSCoVSRgn4

bonitatime
24-09-2013, 18:27
They frighten me
I am chaotic

canarybird
24-09-2013, 18:40
Bonitatime I wasn't challenging you about the slow cooker as they can certainly be also more cost effective than an oven or electric stove, but my post was in answer to the original question by the OP and I just didn't get it posted before your answer came in.
Just having trouble posting today as the replies aren't working as they usually do lol.

I use a gas stove with an electric oven but have cooked with both crockpot and pressure cooker.
The new modern pressure cookers are fantastic for cutting cooking time, but I love the flavours from something cooked for a long time in the crockpot.

9PLUS
24-09-2013, 18:44
What a bloody mess you've got yourself in, Just Go GAS for cooking and water heating.

bonitatime
24-09-2013, 18:45
I am always interested in the costs of things we have gas for water as it struck us as very expensive for a big tank but the complication for changing cooking where we are to gas was to much
The forum seems dire today
I don't feel challenged just interested

Malteser Monkey
24-09-2013, 18:47
Yes I agree - they are fantastic - stews in 30 mins

All I can say is make sure you have enough water in for the cooking time

Allow all the steam to be released before trying to open. Mum puts hers under a slow running cold tap.

And don't thicken sauces till after the cooking time - it should be pure liquid/stock no thickeners

Back to you canarybird :D

Tom & Sharon
24-09-2013, 18:49
Get a gas hob installed. A large gas bottle is 14€ and it lasts for months.

doncarlos
24-09-2013, 18:50
What a bloody mess you've got yourself in, Just Go GAS for cooking and water heating.
Not an option I'm afraid. I'm sick and tied of humping bombonas around.

Tom & Sharon
24-09-2013, 18:55

Well mine lasts about 4 months at a time, so not really that much lugging about!

Well mine lasts about 4 months at a time, so not really that much lugging about!

doncarlos
24-09-2013, 18:59
Our usage is slightly higher than that. In the flat we go through one bombona every 7/8 days.

atlantisclub
24-09-2013, 19:55
Hi!

Leaving things on the boil can be a problem if you have the heat turned up too high. It's worth backing it off as much as poss because after a certain point you can be putting in more power for NO increase in temperature.

PLUS, ensure that the size of the hob is as small as possible - certainly no bigger than the pan - again, lots of heat can get wasted there, with much of the heat never touching the pan.

Problem here is that I'm an engineer not a cook, so I'm probably trying to teach my granny to suck eggs. In which case many sorrys!!!

canarybird
24-09-2013, 20:04
I use 4 tall propane bottles, two open, two ckosed and in reserve and they last for several months before I call DISA to come and bring two new ones..
They bring the bottles and change them. No carrying for me. But then the bottles are in a separate chamber in my garden.

doncarlos
24-09-2013, 20:21
Hi!

Leaving things on the boil can be a problem if you have the heat turned up too high. It's worth backing it off as much as poss because after a certain point you can be putting in more power for NO increase in temperature.

PLUS, ensure that the size of the hob is as small as possible - certainly no bigger than the pan - again, lots of heat can get wasted there, with much of the heat never touching the pan.

Problem here is that I'm an engineer not a cook, so I'm probably trying to teach my granny to suck eggs. In which case many sorrys!!!
I’m not much of a cook either but appreciate the suggestions. I keep telling her-in-doors to do exactly that but for some reason she doesn’t believe me. Old habits I guess ….

Hi!

I’m not much of a cook either but appreciate the suggestions. I keep telling her-in-doors to do exactly that but for some reason she doesn’t believe me. Old habits I guess ….

I use 4 tall propane bottles, two open, two ckosed and in reserve and they last for several months before I call DISA to come and bring two new ones..
They bring the bottles and change them. No carrying for me. But then the bottles are in a separate chamber in my garden.

We looked into doing this just before the summer, for the heating, but decided against it. Getting the bombonas into the garden would be the equivalent of spending a few hours in the gym.

We looked into doing this just before the summer, for the heating, but decided against it. Getting the bombonas into the garden would be the equivalent of spending a few hours in the gym.

chifleta
24-09-2013, 20:34
I’ve been drastically trying to get my electricity bill down to below €150 a month. I’ve replaced the hot water heater, installed solar water heating, got a few of these (http://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B002PLXR8E/ref=s9_qpp_gw_p23_d21_ir02?pf_rd_m=A1AT7YVPFBWXBL&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=13455NEDEX2148R38R2A&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=312235447&pf_rd_i=602357031)to take the TVs of standby, a few of these (http://www.amazon.es/Hama-00047770-LCD/dp/B0047Y4RJU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380041352&sr=8-2&keywords=medidor+consumo)to understand where the electrons go, changed all the regular bulbs to LEDS, installed a solar ventilation system and now we're switching off the computers when they’re not in use.

We’re still using about 25kWh a day and then I realised it’s all the potajes, lentejas and caldos that are being produced. We have a 6.6kW Balay ceramic/induction hob with a 3kW oven. When she cooks these things she leaves them on the boil for hours and hence the contributions that we make to Endesa. I’ve calculated that for 21cm ring (2.2kw) I’m paying about €0.45 per hour. So, is it usual for them to spend so long using these appliances or do we have to change our diet (to salads and fruit)?

I stopped using my oven about 6 months ago, I literally use it once a month, if that.... hint re potajes, I cut the veggies a lot smaller, and as I use pre-cooked jars of lentils etc I literally fry up the garlic and onion and peppers, then throw in the rest of veggies and pulses etc, and water and stock and herbs and cook it on very high for 30 mins... it's more than enough time to cook it all... I'm actually saving between 10 and 15 Euros a month by not using the oven, and another fiver by not ironing much LOL

I hate to tell you this, but hubby heard on the news that electric going up again next month...........

I stopped using my oven about 6 months ago, I literally use it once a month, if that.... hint re potajes, I cut the veggies a lot smaller, and as I use pre-cooked jars of lentils etc I literally fry up the garlic and onion and peppers, then throw in the rest of veggies and pulses etc, and water and stock and herbs and cook it on very high for 30 mins... it's more than enough time to cook it all... I'm actually saving between 10 and 15 Euros a month by not using the oven, and another fiver by not ironing much LOL

I hate to tell you this, but hubby heard on the news that electric going up again next month...........

melm
24-09-2013, 20:38
Halogen ovens are popular here. I personally don't have one but several friends think they are excellent. Might be worth a look.

canarybird
24-09-2013, 20:57
You could always try building a SOLAR COOKER! (http://www.solarcooker-at-cantinawest.com/solarcooking-howitworks.html)

They are being used all over the world wherever there is enough sun, especially in poorer areas of Africa and India.

You can build one from cheap materials and reflective aluminum foil. If you Google Solar ovens or solar cooking, you can see so many different styles that you can build or buy.

Who knows.....if electricity keeps going up here, we may all start using them! I would like to give it a try just for fun.

9PLUS
25-09-2013, 00:47

I believe they deliver, eitherway that's a solution.

like for like, Gas in dirt cheap.

cheery
25-09-2013, 08:49
I can vouch for the pressure cooker. I use one in my chip shop and it does cook in about 1/3 of the time. When it goes off, place it in the sink under a running tap as advised. I put a fork under the valve and the handle counter balances the valve to keep the steam coming out and cover it with a cloth to stop the steam burning anyone. We have a mixer tap so the cloth is hung over that, don't know if it will work another way.

universal
25-09-2013, 15:47
Yes it is going up again next month.
Canarian news reported this morning that there has been a 60% increase, in electricity prices, since the start of the "crisis".

Yes it is going up again next month.
Canarian news reported this morning that there has been a 60% increase, in electricity prices, since the start of the "crisis".

9PLUS
25-09-2013, 15:54
I never remember it being 0.09 but it was

who-r-ya
25-09-2013, 16:08
Gas & Electric on average in UK is now £1200.00! I am planning to do live in Tenerife for winter months. I think come retirement a lot of people will have to down size or move to warmer climate?

Sorry forgot to say, YES the cost of food I believe is expensive everywhere, and I am a veggie..believe me its more expensive...weird that.

melm
25-09-2013, 16:15
Gas & Electric on average in UK is now £1200.00! I am planning to do live in Tenerife for winter months. I think come retirement a lot of people will have to down size or move to warmer climate?

Sorry forgot to say, YES the cost of food I believe is expensive everywhere, and I am a veggie..believe me its more expensive...weird that.

Doncarlos said he is paying 150euros a month for electricity only..............this is roughly what I am paying for gas and electricity here in the UK. Cost is going up again here rolleyes2:

casabonny
25-09-2013, 16:33
We pay about 100 euros on averages month for electric.I cook with gas and bottles last ages (g including oven and hob )
we have two electric boilers, various appliances dishwasher fridge freezer etc and a swimming pool so a pump or that on timer.Also a water softener so I don't think ours is that bad.
I do agree though that electric costs have increased drastically, it has crept up from about 75 to the now100 or so.

We pay about 100 euros on averages month for electric.I cook with gas and bottles last ages (g including oven and hob )
we have two electric boilers, various appliances dishwasher fridge freezer etc and a swimming pool so a pump or that on timer.Also a water softener so I don't think ours is that bad.
I do agree though that electric costs have increased drastically, it has crept up from about 75 to the now100 or so.

who-r-ya
25-09-2013, 17:04
Doncarlos said he is paying 150euros a month for electricity only..............this is roughly what I am paying for gas and electricity here in the UK. Cost is going up again here rolleyes2:
O dear not good all round now don't know what we will do.

canarybird
25-09-2013, 18:15
Just checking my electricity bill here in Pto. de la Cruz..it works out to an average of €59 per month or just under €2 per day, using 11.5 Kwh per day.

The house has instant gas water heating, a gas stove with electric oven (oven rarely used as I have a tabletop tall electric toaster oven if I need it),
a middle-sized fridge and a large chest freezer, TV, computer and an occasional use of the iron, low consumption light bulbs, a clothes washing machine, used about twice a week, no dryer except the sun, no machine dish washer, we have an electric lawn mower for the grass, used once every 2 weeks and an electric edge trimmer for the garden.

Can't think of anything else but I guess I may have to use the gas central heating this winter which hasn't been necessary the past couple of years. I have been using an electric oil-filled radiator in the living room instead of the hot water radiators on the central heating which heats several rooms at once. But if electric costs go too high I may have the central heating system checked over and the pipes refilled.

tracy hampshire
25-09-2013, 18:37
crikey, my electric bill is about 30 euros a month , but we have an instant gas water heater which we turn off when we are not using, & a gas cooker a normal size gas bottle lasts us about 2 months , & i cook loads of stews x

timmylish
26-09-2013, 01:29
I am at home virtually 24 hrs per day with this computer on, 2 screens, lounge telly and tv in bedroom, large fridge/freezer but have stopped using those so called low cost bulbs as we have seen definitive advice that they are no cheaper, overall! We stopped using leccy for cooling some 7 or 8 years ago and have the gas bottles. We get them delivered in our apt. block on the top floor with no problem. Friends who live locally and have similar usage have all changed to our system and immediately seen dramatic changes in overall costs (oh and incl. pressure cooker which is fantasic and utterly safe to use!).

9PLUS
26-09-2013, 06:04
eat more salad.....................innit

pfft

bonitatime
01-10-2013, 08:55
Timmy
What did a gas driven fridge and freezer cost you?

KirstyJay
02-10-2013, 23:26
You could always try building a SOLAR COOKER! (http://www.solarcooker-at-cantinawest.com/solarcooking-howitworks.html)

They are being used all over the world wherever there is enough sun, especially in poorer areas of Africa and India.

You can build one from cheap materials and reflective aluminum foil. If you Google Solar ovens or solar cooking, you can see so many different styles that you can build or buy.

Who knows.....if electricity keeps going up here, we may all start using them! I would like to give it a try just for fun.

We built solar cookers with the kids during our English summer camp and cooked on the beach with them. It was great fun and educational too. :)

canarybird
02-10-2013, 23:32
Kirsty I can imagine how interesting it must have been for kids to see they could build their own sun cooker and actually cook food on it by the rays of the sun! What a great idea for a summer camp. It must have been a real fun experience for them.