PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT PLEASE READ : Forum Hackers... Again.

admin
26-09-2013, 12:09
Good afternoon all.

You may have seen some strange messages on the forum again this morning. We were hacked again and actually at this very moment while we are trying to overwrite all forum files with clean ones, they are actually hacking us again.

We have been trying to keep the hackers off since about 8am this morning and in order to make sure there are no security vulnerabilities we have disabled ALL plugins on the system. This means that much of the functionality of the forum you are used to may not be here at the moment, such as post thanks, status updates, etc. Also some of the anti spam addons will not be functional.

So, if you see any spam, or you notice something not working correctly, can you PLEASE press the Report to Mods button and submit a report, or reply to this thread with any information.

Thanks. :)

BoPeep
26-09-2013, 12:55
That explains the Syrian messages the other day!

AL JAY
26-09-2013, 14:00
One spammer has just posted at 13:55 and the content seems to have changed twice!

I don't think he will have much success selling North Face Ski wear in Tenerife! :wink2:

Malteser Monkey
26-09-2013, 14:09
One spammer has just posted at 13:55 and the content seems to have changed twice!

I don't think he will have much success selling North Face Ski wear in Tenerife! :wink2:

Ohh dear ! you couldn't be more right !:D

I started reporting them but will stop now as there are too many and I'm sure they're on it !

my cheese on toast going cold

Lord there's an invasion ! I'm heading for the Vault

slodgedad
26-09-2013, 14:15
Ohh dear ! you couldn't be more right !:D

I started reporting them but will stop now as there are too many and I'm sure they're on it !

my cheese on toast going cold

Lord there's an invasion ! I'm heading for the Vault
It's been like it for a while. The difference today is that they are not being auto modded for future removal.
A lot are actually getting through because we have had to disable some plug ins til the hacker is dealt with

Malteser Monkey
26-09-2013, 14:18
So we sit, wait and ignore for now then

Good luck

jack oakley
26-09-2013, 15:11
I have had 3 emails in the past hour from the forum claiming that there had been a reply to thread I had contributed to, the message read:
'strongbow' has just replied to a thread you have contributed to, here is the message:
then there were 15 links to crap. The idiots concerned are pathetic sick minded dregs of humanity that need to get a life. Forums are easy prey for spammers and sick cretins as they are seemingly allowed to post on joining, there are a few forums where the registration and membership criteria is quite stringent checking I.P address's and legitimate email names. It is a minefield and a bloody headache for the admin and 'mods' and I applaud your tenacity.

casabonny
26-09-2013, 15:45
Looks like there may be something in the business section that is a hacker, not that I am computer minded it just looks odd to me.

Ricman
26-09-2013, 15:52
It`s Zarion.

JaBBa
26-09-2013, 16:23
Just hit new posts lots of spam about....

cheery
26-09-2013, 16:49
This has just appeared.

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?29669-Is-cooking-really-that-expensive-in-Tenerife

doreen
26-09-2013, 17:14
Bump ... so people understand what's happening :)

IMPORTANT PLEASE READ : Forum Hackers... Again.

Good afternoon all.

You may have seen some strange messages on the forum again this morning. We were hacked again and actually at this very moment while we are trying to overwrite all forum files with clean ones, they are actually hacking us again.

We have been trying to keep the hackers off since about 8am this morning and in order to make sure there are no security vulnerabilities we have disabled ALL plugins on the system. This means that much of the functionality of the forum you are used to may not be here at the moment, such as post thanks, status updates, etc. Also some of the anti spam addons will not be functional.

So, if you see any spam, or you notice something not working correctly, can you PLEASE press the Report to Mods button and submit a report, or reply to this thread with any information.

Thanks.

JaBBa
26-09-2013, 17:16
Block there ip addy's....

doreen
26-09-2013, 17:18

Yes, they do know to do that :)

slodgedad
26-09-2013, 17:50
What the hell do you think we've been trying to do for the past month.
Computer generated spam attacks are very difficult to defend against.

JaBBa
26-09-2013, 17:55
What the hell do you think we've been trying to do for the past month.
Computer generated spam attacks are very difficult to defend against.

Now now,is there any need for that!!!!

doreen
26-09-2013, 17:58
Now now,is there any need for that!!!!

Give him a break please... your post did imply the Mods didn't know what to do, don't you think, when in fact they have all being doing their upmost to combat the spammers :)

JaBBa
26-09-2013, 18:02
Give him a break please... your post did imply the Mods didn't know what to do, don't you think

No not at all,just throwing maybe some advice/help...

Message to JaBBa don't get involved,reminds me of the other post started by YG,were not all sarcastic

slodgedad
26-09-2013, 18:03
I have spent on average 6 hours a day for the past month trying to avert this. Spammers are multi posting faster than we can remove, and now that we are unable to use the auto mod the work load has trebled with everyone reporting as well.
Sometimes I feel like saying sod it when I read some of the complaints.

jack oakley
26-09-2013, 18:04
Give him a break please... your post did imply the Mods didn't know what to do, don't you think, when in fact they have all being doing their upmost to combat the spammers :)
Here Here, I think 'admin' and the 'mods' are doing a sterling job against overwhelming odds trying to ward off this repulsive assault by the cretin-headed hackers. They are after all volunteers.

TOTO 99
26-09-2013, 18:12
I have spent on average 6 hours a day for the past month trying to avert this. Spammers are multi posting faster than we can remove, and now that we are unable to use the auto mod the work load has trebled with everyone reporting as well.
Sometimes I feel like saying sod it when I read some of the complaints.

Slodgie would it be any use if we all stopped posting for a while or even shut down for a few hours just to give you a chance to stop the fraffic flow? Just a thought.

slodgedad
26-09-2013, 18:22
Once we get the auto mod running again the spam, although a nuisance, is reasonably easy to contain. It only becomes a real problem when it appears on members screens.
On thing I would ask is, do not quote it, as a response or your post could get included in the spam report and ban. It has already happened a couple of times and it takes longer to un ban than to ban. Plus your posts could be lost.

It sounds very simplistic but for now please ignore them. Perhaps everyone can now visualize my screen on a daily basis. Once automod is working again my screen will remain the same but you all should be back to normal

COL NIL SATIS
26-09-2013, 19:08
Thanks to all Admin who are doing a superb job keeping the forum online at the minute,it must be a right nightmare dealing with all of these attacks,thanks for the work you guys put in,i appreciate it.

slodgedad
26-09-2013, 19:15
Thanks to all Admin who are doing a superb job keeping the forum online at the minute,it must be a right nightmare dealing with all of these attacks,thanks for the work you guys put in,i appreciate it.
thanks button is disabled at the mo but Ta,Col

Malteser Monkey
26-09-2013, 19:22
No not at all,just throwing maybe some advice/help...

Message to JaBBa don't get involved,reminds me of the other post started by YG,were not all sarcastic

Have been with this all day at home - you wouldn't believe what has happened here today mate

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Slodgie would it be any use if we all stopped posting for a while or even shut down for a few hours just to give you a chance to stop the fraffic flow? Just a thought.

What a brill idea as it was off for a while earlier

@slodgedad

JaBBa
26-09-2013, 19:31
Have been with this all day at home - you wouldn't believe what has happened here today mate

@slodgedad

Thanks MM,

I really do understand whats going on & the work that goes into them,ran forums myself & still member/mod on alot,there certainly was not any sarcasm intended or i need to receive any....

:thanx: :wink2:

slodgedad
26-09-2013, 19:32

@slodgedad
Provided ther is on of us monitoring it's not a problem. I kept on top of it for a while today but then had to o to hospital for my rehab about 3.30 and when I got back at 5.20 it took me an hour to catch up.
PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THE SPAM POSTS AS IT MAKES IT DOUBLY DIFFICULT TO DEAL WITH:

warbey
26-09-2013, 19:50
Is there any way We Members could assist when this Happens..?

We seem to be victims of the Success of the Forum and if I could help repel these Intruders

I would be very Happy.. as I am sure would Others.. Whatever it takes.....

Tenerife Sun
26-09-2013, 23:01
I am grateful for all you are doing to stop this, thank you.

Is there anything I can do to stop all the messages coming to my personal email address.

admin
26-09-2013, 23:37
I am grateful for all you are doing to stop this, thank you.

Is there anything I can do to stop all the messages coming to my personal email address.You can stop this by changing the email preferences in your userCP. Click on the settings link at the top of the forum and look through your various options. I would give you a link to the FAQ, but we disabled it because that's where the hackers entered. ;)

Tenerife Sun
27-09-2013, 00:43
Thank you, I wasn't sure what user CP was but I think I've figured it out now.

tizzywizzy
27-09-2013, 15:19
thank you admin for sorting the hacker problem out. It is well appreciated.:thanx:

delderek
28-09-2013, 21:11
Admin, you probably already know, but the forum is no longer available via Tapatalk.

Addick
05-10-2013, 14:56
Looks like this post (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?188-Tenerife-Forum-joke-thread-Post-all-your-jokes-here&p=324358&viewfull=1#post324358) might still be on the forum - don't think I am viewing a cached page as I did a hard refresh and it was still there - and couldn't report via the usual 'report post' button. :)

slodgedad
05-10-2013, 16:14
Looks like this post (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?188-Tenerife-Forum-joke-thread-Post-all-your-jokes-here&p=324358&viewfull=1#post324358) might still be on the forum - don't think I am viewing a cached page as I did a hard refresh and it was still there - and couldn't report via the usual 'report post' button. :)
It was a spammer. I have removed it. They usually get caught automatically but this one slipped through. Thanks

macdonald5
30-10-2013, 08:40
Suspect spammer at work today again Cheap sunglasses and Royal Tenerife Gardens posts

TOTO 99
30-10-2013, 09:12
Suspect spammer at work today again Cheap sunglasses and Royal Tenerife Gardens posts

I've tried to report it but the report button isn't working. I don't know if that's just me or if it's off for everyone?

Hopefully a mod can advise..

macdonald5
30-10-2013, 09:22
I've tried to report it but the report button isn't working. I don't know if that's just me or if it's off for everyone?

Hopefully a mod can advise..

Yes so did I TOTO 99 but report button no work

Leam_Lin
30-10-2013, 10:01
Same here, report button not working.