PDA

View Full Version : Manchester United v Barcelona - Do you pass the Norman Tebbit test?

cainaries
28-05-2011, 20:54
Tebbit famously complained about Pakistanis resident in the UK who supported Pakistan against England at cricket.

The Man U v Barc a match is on in the background and OH and I are cheering for Barca.

Doesn't make us Spanish though.

sgd
28-05-2011, 21:17
Cathy and I are not Football fans but are cheering for Barcelona nonetheless :) Well, it has to be done!

KirstyJay
28-05-2011, 21:38
********. Gutted. No, not a Barca supporter, as I was born in Mancland. :(

Nicky
28-05-2011, 21:42
Not Spanish or English but wanted Man Utd to win.. but for that they really needed to actually play!!

garlicbread
28-05-2011, 21:45
We were simply beaten by a much better team tonight. Gutted though I am I will refrain from putting my Barcelona supporting neighbours windows in. I've been a season ticket holder at OT since 1964 and although I now live in Tenerife I'm never going to switch allegiance to some team from the Peninsular, good as they are.

cainaries
28-05-2011, 22:08
Cathy and I are not Football fans but are cheering for Barcelona nonetheless :) Well, it has to be done!
No, no are we which, in our case, probably accounts for it.

Lots of bangers (voladores?) being let off here tonight. Barca is extremely popular on La Palma.

Just heard Blatter and (um) bin Hammam stayed away - quite right too!

Ricman
30-05-2011, 13:20
I have been trying to point out for ages that Man. Utd. are not very good without the help of the 12 th man, and big dollops of luck. Anyone who knows anything about football would only be surprised at the low score at Wembley, not the result.

But as I mentioned several weeks ago Manchester City did United a big favour when they thrashed them in the F A Cup semi final as it gave their fans a foretaste of losing a big game at Wembley, so Saturday would not be such a big shock. Hopefully this will be appreciated by our now quiet neighbours & when City win the final next year in Munich they will rejoice with us.

leo_london
30-05-2011, 13:33
We were simply beaten by a much better team tonight. Gutted though I am I will refrain from putting my Barcelona supporting neighbours windows in. I've been a season ticket holder at OT since 1964 and although I now live in Tenerife I'm never going to switch allegiance to some team from the Peninsular, good as they are.

What about another team from the Premiership ? I will get you a really smart Chelsea shirt before we come over next time, and blue would really suit you..honest.

lord_cheeseman
30-05-2011, 13:50
Tebbit famously complained about Pakistanis resident in the UK who supported Pakistan against England at cricket.

The Man U v Barc a match is on in the background and OH and I are cheering for Barca.

Doesn't make us Spanish though.

haha no it doesn't, at least not in the eyes of the spanish :)

All of a sudden we are inundated with barca supporters, a bit like manu supporters in the mid 1990's. A quick test is to ask the flag waving barca fan reveling in the glory how they rated Koeman, Enrique and Stoichkov. I bet you 9 out of 10 do not know who those players are. Probably could say the same about Figo!