PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Credit Card for UK resident?

nigelmercier
02-10-2013, 12:40
Is it possible for a UK resident to get a Spanish Credit Card?

The reason I ask is because I need to top up my Vodafone PAYG phones, and they only accept Spanish CCs.

candy2411
02-10-2013, 19:39
That's really surprising as most credit cards are Visa or MasterCard both of which are worldwide:confused:

mike in chayofa
02-10-2013, 19:55
Is it possible for a UK resident to get a Spanish Credit Card?

Not normally. Even Spanish residents have to deposit funds into an account which sets their credit limit ... kind of defeats the object.

If you have a Spanish bank account, you can usually get a debit card. However, there is a charge for this and some banks limit your spending per day or per month, no matter how much money you have in your account.

The reason I ask is because I need to top up my Vodafone PAYG phones, and they only accept Spanish CCs.

Can you not top-up on line?

Again, a word of warning. If you top-up using a UK card for a UK phone, do not try to use the card on the island on the same day. If you do, the bank's computer will work out that it is impossible for you to make a transaction in the UK (for your phone) and then try to make a transaction in Tenerfie one hour later. THey WILL block your card.

nigelmercier
02-10-2013, 22:54
Not normally. Even Spanish residents have to deposit funds into an account which sets their credit limit ... kind of defeats the object...

Is it possible for a non-resident to have a bank account? This would be useful, and would solve the problem for next time.

To top up online, I need a Spanish card - it appears they have a different number of digits.

I'll have to find someone who can do it for me in a shop.

Su1
03-10-2013, 13:32
We have a 'non residents' bank account with Banca March at San Blas...they do charge you for it as do all spanish banks (?) and I also for a debit card (again it at a cost) but you do not have to have a debit card. You can use on line banking with them too so its ideal for paying bills, tranferring funds . Wealso have dirrect debits paying the utility bills etc etc. We have had this account a few years now...I seem to think we had to have NIE numbers though......someone correct me if I'm wrong please!...which we had becasue we are property owners in Tenerife.

PS For people over 60 they do an account with cheaper fees (Not suggesting this applies to you!)

Adseo
13-10-2013, 18:09
I think BBVA can help you with an euro account with a CC attached. Pay them a visit and ask for details like fees and other papers you need for that.

essexeddie
13-10-2013, 18:24
And Barclays.

Wouldn't it be easier to transfer your phone to Lebara and keep your number, you can top up in Tenerife and in the uk with their vouchers

tfs1
15-10-2013, 09:17
Wouldn't it be easier to transfer your phone to Lebara and keep your number, you can top up in Tenerife and in the uk with their vouchers

I have a Lebara.es and a Lyca.es SIM - they are good value PAYG offerings but you need to read the FAQs carefully as they both need either topping up/using every 60 days.

If you dont Lebara/Lyca deactivate them and you loose any credit you have if not used before the deactivation date as the SIM can not be reactivated.