PDA

View Full Version : Strange forum behaviour?

nigelmercier
02-10-2013, 13:04
I'm getting some strange effects when posting to this forum.

The first is that when I type a long line of text, the text does not wrap around, but disappears under the smileys. Having typed that, it didn't do it this time!

The second is that when I post, I get a message from IE10 asking if I want to navigate away from the page.

Third: my postings all seem to be wrapped inside a narrow right hand margin.

Last: if I edit the post, I get a window 31 characters wide:

Anyone else got these?

AL JAY
02-10-2013, 13:19
This forum is not really compatible with Internet Explorer,you would be better trying Google Chrome or Firefox etc as your browser whilst on here!

nigelmercier
02-10-2013, 18:44
This forum is not really compatible with Internet Explorer,you would be better trying Google Chrome or Firefox etc as your browser whilst on here!

Thanks, but no thanks.

None of the other forums I use have problems with IE, and they mostly use VB as well.

AL JAY
02-10-2013, 19:03
Thanks, but no thanks.

None of the other forums I use have problems with IE, and they mostly use VB as well.

I used to run a VBull forum Nigel and believe me IE is a no no on this version, there have been many threads over the years similar to yours and its always down to IE ! Are you still using a Beta-max video recorder ? :wink2::D

Albatros
02-10-2013, 19:34
Thanks, but no thanks.

That may be so, but I know of others forums that do have similar symptoms when accessed with IE10.

TOTO 99
02-10-2013, 19:42
I used to run a VBull forum Nigel and believe me IE is a no no on this version, there have been many threads over the years similar to yours and its always down to IE ! Are you still using a Beta-max video recorder ? :wink2::D

If not, I bet you can get your hands on one for him eh?....:laugh:

Medman
02-10-2013, 21:18
If not, I bet you can get your hands on one for him eh?....:laugh:

He keeps one in his car beside the 8 track :D

nigelmercier
06-10-2013, 13:12
Are you still using a Beta-max video recorder ? :wink2::D
If the forum doesn't work properly with the most popular browser on the web, it isn't the browser's fault.

And for the record, Betamax was vastly superior to VHS, and is still used (in digital form) by most professional TV companies and broadcasters.

TOTO 99
06-10-2013, 13:29
If the forum doesn't work properly with the most popular browser on the web, it isn't the browser's fault.

And for the record, Betamax was vastly superior to VHS, and is still used (in digital form) by most professional TV companies and broadcasters.

In which case it looks like you'll have to put up with all the problems you complained about in your opening post.

I don't see a problem in using a different browser even if you only use it for the forum. It's just a browser, not the operating system.

One click away from being able to view all our brilliant and helpful posts.......:tiphat:

Malteser Monkey
06-10-2013, 13:39
He keeps one in his car beside the 8 track :D

I remember my Dad having one of those in his car when I was little - Jack Jones, The Carpenters and many more !

Ahhh the memories come screaming back:D Thanks

BTW Internet Explorer does funny things to this forum as already stated :crazy:- Chrome works well

slodgedad
06-10-2013, 13:43

Noone said it was the browser's fault. It matters not about quality. It is all about compatibilty.
Betamax lost the war because it didn't keep up with customers needs, it relied on quality and not quantity of available product.
IMHO Anyone who still uses IE are missing out on so much. If you use Windows you are already 'big brothered', so why put all your eggs in one basket?

Fivepence
06-10-2013, 13:55
I remember my Dad having one of those in his car when I was little - Jack Jones, The Carpenters and many more !

Ahhh the memories come screaming back:D Thanks

BTW Internet Explorer does funny things to this forum as already stated :crazy:- Chrome works well

I loved my 8 Track........ELO, Dean Martin, Gladys Knight and the Pips, etc..........great memories and quality sound. :laugh:

Malteser Monkey
06-10-2013, 13:57
I loved my 8 Track........ELO, Dean Martin, Gladys Knight and the Pips, etc..........great memories and quality sound. :laugh:

Love ELO watched a documetery on BBC a while back very interesting

Fivepence
06-10-2013, 14:35
Love ELO watched a documetery on BBC a while back very interesting

Forgot to say My 8 track was fitted in an Austin 1800.
Massive interior space in that car, ideal for.................listening to music. :whistle:

Malteser Monkey
06-10-2013, 14:38
Forgot to say My 8 track was fitted in an Austin 1800.
Massive interior space in that car, ideal for.................listening to music. :whistle:

I get the picture:D

Angusjim
06-10-2013, 14:39
I remember having an 8 track cassette player in my very 1st car a Ford Anglia, Led Zepplin 2 got stuck inside it and thats all that played for about a year when the car finally fell to bits. Happy days:rock::rock::old:

Albatros
06-10-2013, 16:56

IE has given up that title a long time ago.

See usage statistics below. Other agencies collect statistics and they all report similar shares.

Browser usage trends (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp)

AL JAY
06-10-2013, 18:32

Take a chill pill old bean,you asked a question, you have been told numerous times that IE is about as much use on here as an ashtray on a motorbike! Use the search facilty at the top and you will see that loads of members have had to ditch IE because it is not compatible!

* Turns on Pye B/W television set* *adjusts 3 Ducks on the wall* :raspberry::whistle:

Susief
06-10-2013, 20:33
I only ever use Firefox to view the forum on my laptop! Too many problems with IE, don't know anybody who uses it!