PDA

View Full Version : Internet baffled;

seanocelt
08-10-2013, 00:56
Hi folks, as i said recently, the forum often answers/helps; Got A new Movistar router in new apartment, good speed etc, BUT, i can access all my favourite sites EXCEPT "HOTMAIL" " BBC NEWS" "FACEBOOK";

I GET A FIREFOX MESSAGE SAYING "CONNECTION WAS RESET" BUT NOT ON OTHER SITES I want? IS THIS A MOVISTAR, OR FIREWALL OR ANTI VIRUS ISSUE? VERY BAFFLED! Sorry, caps lock was on, too weary to retype!

JaBBa
08-10-2013, 02:17
Can you try another browser IE/Chrome see if they work there....

I googled ' CONNECTION WAS RESET ' results came back with lots of options to try.

seanocelt
08-10-2013, 10:46
Thanks, yes same on chrome etc. With expat shield on i can access the 3 sites, makes me think Firewall or antivirus? Obviously with computer being off for a week it immediately updated on restart. Just the 2 sites so far, that i get that message with!

junglejim
08-10-2013, 11:32
I had something similiar a few years ago Sean when it wouldn´t go to BBC.com and a couple of other sites , I messed about with some settings and cleared my cookies and history and that seemed to work .Might be worth running malaware bytes to clear out any issues too !
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Ricman
08-10-2013, 12:01
Perhaps you may wish to consider changing your provider to the ever popular Europa Network!

TAXI

TOTO 99
08-10-2013, 12:21
Have a look on here Sean. It might be of some assistance..

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/websites-dont-load-troubleshoot-and-fix-errors

seanocelt
08-10-2013, 14:59
tried 'em all now! Thanks everyone, still cannot get on to BBC,Facebook or Hotmail without going via expatshield, no matter what browser i use=still BAFFLED!

slodgedad
08-10-2013, 15:03
I noticed in an earlier post that you had been off line for a while and then updated when you logged on. Maybe one of the updates is in conflict. Have you tried System Restore?

seanocelt
08-10-2013, 17:27
no, good point, i will do one!

junglejim
08-10-2013, 17:48
The problem with system restore is that you will have to do all microsoft updates again from the restore point - if one of these is a conflict then you may have to do updates one at a time and check your browser access after each one - a pain in the bum !
have you tried uninstalling and re-installing your browsers?

seanocelt
08-10-2013, 17:52
system restore failed due to "" unspecified error"! next step will be browser uninstall/ reinstall JJ, same problems on chrome and I.E. just on 3 sites since i changed house/provider. Its fine on another device, just a problem on this one, can live with it but still, even now "baffled"!

junglejim
08-10-2013, 18:01
some other options

http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-if-You-Can%27t-Access-a-Particular-Website

seanocelt
08-10-2013, 18:07
it seems to be a "proxy" issue since i restarted after move, or an update gone wrong!

warbey
08-10-2013, 20:01
Daft question I Know, but have You set up the new Router, Password etc..?

If Not, I think it is a question of Protection blocking receipt of those Programs directly.

I sometimes get an extra Bar across the lower Top of the Screen, asking permission to allow a certain Program.

Best of luck.[/I]

junglejim
08-10-2013, 20:16
Have you went into ControlPanel/Internet Options and checked your security settings ?
Are you trying to access BBC.com or BBC.co.uk - I had that as an issue fora while too .

timmylish
09-10-2013, 00:22
Sean. Come and join the professionals and get the VPN you want and need!
VPNUK really does rock!

seanocelt
09-10-2013, 01:56
i tried that once TL but it was a nightmare, just unlucky that night i think, guy on elpline gave up on me! Its bbc.co.uk/news plus football too JJ, plus hotmail and facebook, all other "favourites" work fine.