PDA

View Full Version : Should people who mistreat children be given longer sentences?

Margaretta
08-10-2013, 22:45
News today: It is possible that a certain 'mother' is to be released shortly having been jailed for neglecting and mistreating baby P. Lots of public money will be spent on rehousing her, giving her a new identity etc.
Another 'mother' has also been highlighted this week for unspeakable treatment of her baby and children.
Is five years really a long enough sentence for these crimes and is it sufficient to say that these deceitful women were depressed or just couldn't cope? Of course some need psychiatric help but some women were just self-indulgent with drugs and alcohol. Men also guilty of similar crimes.
The authorities have received a lot of the blame but craftiness has covered the truth in both cases. This is not just a problem in the UK. I wonder what sort of sentences are given for similar crimes in other countries and is there parole? Sentencing seems far too short as children are so defenceless.

AL JAY
09-10-2013, 00:07
I think the 3 Parole board members who sanctioned her release should be given 10 year sentences,its an absolute disgrace! Our justice system needs a complete overhaul, Stop all this concurrent sentence nonsense, Stop all this "No Comment" nonsense and get a grip on the nonsense of allowing bail in most cases! We as a country are a soft touch and always will be!

YOUNG GOLFER
09-10-2013, 01:11
The only sentence should be the death sentence ....... Letting a young child starve to death is just the worst thing ever.
Kids don't asked to be born into this world.

Medman
10-10-2013, 22:18
As a dad and grandad, I must admit I couldn't read the full reports on the recent cases as I felt sick at the thought of it. I just couldn't believe that a parent or anyone for that matter could do these things to a defenceless child who knew no better. It's the fact that the child was in that person's care and had the trust of the child.The totally innocent little child relied on that person. My God what a World we have created. When are the good people (and I don't mean Saints) going to take over this asylum? You should die for your kids not let them die, and if you do then you should die.

Margaretta
12-10-2013, 13:34
I think too that it should be noted that not just SOME poorer or addict parents can be neglectful but children of wealthy parents can suffer too. The parents who are perhaps more intent on their careers, social life and businesses than caring for their children have caused some of those youngsters to feel lonely, insecure and afraid. Having lots of money doesn't mean you are a good parent.

warbey
12-10-2013, 20:18
This is an emotive Subject. You can be arrested for giving a Child a Slap.

It is the responsibility of Parents to help Their Children be an asset to Society,

and know right from wrong.

How many Parents are still together after a few Years.? Musical Chairs gone mad.

When a Felony is committed, all concerned are Guilty and sentenced accordingly.

Any Social Worker assigned to a Child should be Guilty of aiding the Felony if They failed to help save the Child.

Corporate Failings shouldn't cover up Responsibility, especially when concerned Neighbours have asked

for help for the Child.

Yes Margaretta, ten Years minimum inside, with Murderer tattooed on Their Foreheads.
so We can ALL See what They are.

Let's have some PERSONAL Responsibility in this dysfunctional World.

Margaretta
13-10-2013, 12:53
I think social workers should be dealt with individually. some of these parents are so crafty and devious by covering up their misdemeanours with such 'plausible' excuses that even neighbours fail to suspect. A social worker needs proof and in hindsight many have this but fail to put together all the pieces of the jigsaw. But just sometimes there are so many agencies that facts get lost along the way. Intervention needs more clarification and maybe every family where addiction, alcoholism or brutality is on record should have a surprise evening or weekend home visit every two or three months to check each child in their home environment i.e. with powers of entry and inspection. Most parents are loving and caring and this is shown by the immense horror and anger at those who are not.

Malteser Monkey
13-10-2013, 13:16
As a dad and grandad, I must admit I couldn't read the full reports on the recent cases as I felt sick at the thought of it. I just couldn't believe that a parent or anyone for that matter could do these things to a defenceless child who knew no better. It's the fact that the child was in that person's care and had the trust of the child.The totally innocent little child relied on that person. My God what a World we have created. When are the good people (and I don't mean Saints) going to take over this asylum? You should die for your kids not let them die, and if you do then you should die.

I agree and I was the same couldn't read reports.

If I were to type how I feel - I would be banned

warbey
13-10-2013, 21:05
I think social workers should be dealt with individually. some of these parents are so crafty and devious by covering up their misdemeanours with such 'plausible' excuses that even neighbours fail to suspect. A social worker needs proof and in hindsight many have this but fail to put together all the pieces of the jigsaw. But just sometimes there are so many agencies that facts get lost along the way. Intervention needs more clarification and maybe every family where addiction, alcoholism or brutality is on record should have a surprise evening or weekend home visit every two or three months to check each child in their home environment i.e. with powers of entry and inspection. Most parents are loving and caring and this is shown by the immense horror and anger at those who are not.

Some Cases are blatant Neglect and worse.. There are no excuses when suspicions were reported, sometimes by more than one source.

Each Case needs dealing with individually, and dealt with on it's merits.

The excuses You mention are valid, but there are People who should take steps to limit the wide spectrum of mistreatment. In each Case SOMEONE should bear the responsibility, instead of the Usual Insulting Phrase "Lessons have been Learnt" No they ruddy well HAVEN'T

Bhamannette
14-10-2013, 12:42
Cannot comprehend how anyone can hurt a child or animal. I once went to stop my daughter from stomping up the stairs in a strop after being very cheeky, meant to catch her shoulder but missed my hand went round the back of her neck my thumbnail broke the skin and made her neck bleed, I was horrified, was still crying about it half an hour after she had stopped, to this day I stil feel dreadful when I think about it and it was over 20 years ago. (she occassionally laughs at my guilt and refers to it as the time I tried to cut her throat!!!) safe to say I never did anything even remotely like it again.
But yes, they should be locked up indefinitely, these arent one off accidents this is sustained cruelty and brutality that is unforgivable.

melm
14-10-2013, 19:07
I agree and I was the same couldn't read reports.

If I were to type how I feel - I would be banned

My feelings exactly. lock them up and throw away the key