PDA

View Full Version : Property NIE Numbers how many non residents have a current one

kathml
09-10-2013, 03:53
As title says how many non residents have a current NIE number I had to renew mine recently as I was selling a property and discovered the normal NIE only has a life of three months

This after using original for twenty plus years to open bank accounts and other business transactions Also discovered bank only had passport details from two passports ago

Discussing this with friends seems to be nothing unusual in this

Suzanne
09-10-2013, 19:20
From what I understand, your NIE number is for life, the paper is only valid for 3 months as after this time you should become a resident, if not then you get a re-newal as and when needed!! just another money spinner. With regards to the bank same as, its up to you to advise new passport numbers when you renew it and they should also have a copy of your NIE.
However, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong and give us all the correct information.

9PLUS
09-10-2013, 19:52
New ones have a expiry date, old ones don't so don't need to be exchanged for a new one.

kathml
09-10-2013, 23:06
Yes they do had original for 22 years had to change it for this transaction in fact have to change it again as it's already gone out of date

slodgedad
09-10-2013, 23:45
Yes they do had original for 22 years had to change it for this transaction in fact have to change it again as it's already gone out of date
Do you mean you had to get a new number? I thought an NIE number was for life the same as a UK Social Security number

9PLUS
10-10-2013, 04:49

Contrary to what the Police tell you, you do not need to exchange if you do not wish to, even the one's with an expiry date according to European Law.

celine
10-10-2013, 11:07
Please could someone remind me who the gentleman was that will go with you to get an nie/social security number...(for a fee)
I remember reading this in an old post but i am unable to rememer the mans name
we are coming out on the 21st to our long term rent flat and our son will be staying on in los cristianos hopefully to get a few days work and staying out there when we go home ,if someone could help him out with this this would be great as we are still finalising our permenant move so will not follow for a few months
regards celine

TOPGUN77
10-10-2013, 13:20
Was going to post something about this myself.Found out the other day from the car dealer that we have to renew our NIE certificate which when we got our first one 4 months ago this was never explained to us.
Also discovered 33.57 euro each has been taken from our bank account for a non resident certificate by the directorate of Police,went to my bank about this and this is the tax you pay for being non residents which is for a 2 year period.
I contacted Diane [Goldenmaniac] about this and said to me if you are purchasing a house or car you need a valid NIE number so looks like we will have to renew in which time we will apply to become residents.
As said before just another money spinner.

kathml
10-10-2013, 14:46
Have now discovered not even the different police forces say the same thing L Americas tells a different tale to Santa Cruz and notary says another depending on which one you talk to

casabonny
10-10-2013, 15:55
A lot depends on the wording of the NIEs.The new( ish ) ones state quite clearly that the DOCUMENT is only valid for three months not that the NIE is valid for three months, the NIE is for life its the certificate that runs out.
If you have an old style NIE ( i.e. with an X rather than a Y prefix although some Y ones are included in this category) and have a certificate of empadronmiento then this will suffix for most transactions HOWEVER it does not mean you are a resident and that is why the banks treat you ( and your account) as a non resident status.

In order to be treated as Resident you must hold a Green Certificate , which to obtain involves proving income, medical cover etc hence why many have not got one as they are technically here " on holiday " and cannot or will not obtain residency.

kathml
10-10-2013, 17:24
So my original certificate from 1992 still stands just realised all numbers are the same that would agree with what Santa Cruz police were saying

Will see tomorrow at notary will report result

TOPGUN77
10-10-2013, 18:38
This post is very confusing doesn't matter who you speak to you get different answers.So I am still none the wiser of what to do.

casabonny
10-10-2013, 20:17
It's quite simple.YOUR nie NUMBER for example x12345678a stays with you for life.Currently if applying for an NIE you are given a certificate valid for three months.After that time if you need to use the NIE number for anything legal then you would have to either renew that certificate or apply for residency.

To transfer a car the certificate of NIE must not have expired and with a certificate of empadronmiento and passport the transfer can be completed.If the NIE certificate is out of date Tráfico can refuse to do the transfer but that is not always the case! Some of the staff are more sticklers for the rules than others oh and it depends on what mood they are in on the day!

essexeddie
10-10-2013, 20:57
What a ridiculous situation, it can only happen in Tenerife.
Its about time they dragged themselves into the 21st Century.

TOPGUN77
10-10-2013, 21:27
It's quite simple.YOUR nie NUMBER for example x12345678a stays with you for life.Currently if applying for an NIE you are given a certificate valid for three months.After that time if you need to use the NIE number for anything legal then you would have to either renew that certificate or apply for residency.

To transfer a car the certificate of NIE must not have expired and with a certificate of empadronmiento and passport the transfer can be completed.If the NIE certificate is out of date Tráfico can refuse to do the transfer but that is not always the case! Some of the staff are more sticklers for the rules than others oh and it depends on what mood they are in on the day!
Thanks for that, but I recently purchased 2 cars at the same time from different garages only one of them picked up my NIE certificate was out of date,i am picking the other car up tomorrow to see what the outcome is.

casabonny
10-10-2013, 22:17
As I have a very good relationship with practically all the staff in Trafico I can generally do things that many others cannot, so it's not what you know and what's correct but who you know.

9PLUS
10-10-2013, 22:21
I could tell you a little story about a 24 year old girl that works in Trafico but it's xxx rated

like full on blow your mind stuff

x

essexeddie
11-10-2013, 17:19
As I have a very good relationship with practically all the staff in Trafico I can generally do things that many others cannot, so it's not what you know and what's correct but who you know.

That's why I'm one of your satisfied customers. ;-)

TOPGUN77
11-10-2013, 18:23
Well I picked up my new car today and nothing was said about my out of date NIE number.

junglejim
11-10-2013, 19:37
What documents do you need to keep in your car when driving around and do they have to be "En Vigor" i.e. " not out of date " ?

TOPGUN77
11-10-2013, 19:46
What documents do you need to keep in your car when driving around and do they have to be "En Vigor" i.e. " not out of date " ?
I keep insurance,proof of purchase,out of date NIE lol and passport,driving licence

casabonny
11-10-2013, 20:52
Legally you must carry
In date and original passport or notarized copy
In date NIE or Cert of Residencia ( green paper)
Original driving license
Original receipt for insurance , proof of payment.
Original permiso de circulación and Ficha Técnica or copies compulsada which can be done at tráfico
técnica lot photocopies of any of the above are not acceptble but if you get stopped it really depends on the policeman who stops you, most are reasonably happy if you have an original driving license ( especially if it's a Spanish one) and are often not bothered about the rest being original, sometimes they give you a warning.
My advice, get Notorised copies of you passport, NIE , copies compulsada of car papers and original receipt for insurance and you should be okay.

essexeddie
11-10-2013, 21:01
In the UK you need to carry FA lol

casabonny
11-10-2013, 21:16
Yes but they like to make things difficult here !

TOPGUN77
11-10-2013, 21:37
Yes but they like to make things difficult here !
to right they do,buying a car is a mission and a half

seanocelt
12-10-2013, 01:29
Devil's Advocate here; you get pulled over, have a few of the docs, insurance, title etc, but HAS anyone been fined for not carrying passport/copy/licence or copy etc.? Actual forum members that have been actually fined? Curious.

junglejim
12-10-2013, 02:12
I don't have or want to buy a car here but may hire a car for a few days in future or have the opportunity to use a friend's car . I have a green residencia as I stay here for extended periods but have a UK photo licence based on my UK home address , I'm not sure if I need to change my UK licence ?

9PLUS
12-10-2013, 03:44
In the UK you need to carry FA lol

Yeah it also wastes a load of Police hours by not doing so,

kathml
12-10-2013, 12:53
Having been to notary re sale of apartment they still insisted using three month out of date one to go with escitura instead of my original undated NIE

Seems totally ridiculous but that's so typical of Tenerife

casabonny
12-10-2013, 18:04
I don't have or want to buy a car here but may hire a car for a few days in future or have the opportunity to use a friend's car . I have a green residencia as I stay here for extended periods but have a UK photo licence based on my UK home address , I'm not sure if I need to change my UK licence ?
Two differing situations here.If you hire ( legally) then you will have a rental contract and probably copies of the paperwork It's not your responsibility to ensure you are carrying the correct car papers.You personally need to carry your original passport and driving license .
if loaning a friends car then the total as stated in my previous post will apply.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Devil's Advocate here; you get pulled over, have a few of the docs, insurance, title etc, but HAS anyone been fined for not carrying passport/copy/licence or copy etc.? Actual forum members that have been actually fined? Curious.
We have had clients who have received fines for not having the correct documents and some that have just been warned by police that if they are stopped again and don't have x document they will be fined.I believe the latter is a bit of scaremongering sometimes .of course if the police don't like the look of you then can( and do) fine you for insulting a police officer, that's very difficult to contest!they do this sometimes if they cannot get you on anything else.

mike in chayofa
12-10-2013, 18:26
....they do this sometimes if they cannot get you on anything else.

Well!!! I AM surprised :whistle:

essexeddie
12-10-2013, 18:31
Yeah it also wastes a load of Police hours by not doing so,

No it doesn't. Its all on the Police car's computer. 'Number Plate Recognition'. Only picks out the cars that are not legal.
They can check everything in seconds.
Pity they don't have that in Tenerife, but then they are a bit behind the times I'm afraid.

junglejim
12-10-2013, 19:38
No it doesn't. Its all on the Police car's computer. 'Number Plate Recognition'. Only picks out the cars that are not legal.
Pity they don't have that in Tenerife, but then they are a bit behind the times I'm afraid.

The police here in Scotland obviously have time to waste , kicking in doors at 7 o'clock in the morning to arrest football fans for singing songs at a football match , meanwhile the drug dealers , sex offenders and rapists sleep soundly in their bed !
Lovely use of resources !

essexeddie
12-10-2013, 20:17
The police here in Scotland obviously have time to waste , kicking in doors at 7 o'clock in the morning to arrest football fans for singing songs at a football match , meanwhile the drug dealers , sex offenders and rapists sleep soundly in their bed !
Lovely use of resources !

Err! I'm sure they have their reasons but, what has that got to do with carrying documents in your car in Tenerife?

casabonny
12-10-2013, 20:23
The police here have the facility to check that a car is insured by checking the FIFA( insurance register) and to check trafico computer regarding status of driving licenses and car owner

essexeddie
12-10-2013, 20:35
The police here have the facility to check that a car is insured by checking the FIFA( insurance register) and to check trafico computer regarding status of driving licenses and car owner

If that's the case why do we need to carry all that palaver about us?
[ I suppose I need to ask a policeman :-) ]

slodgedad
12-10-2013, 21:06
If that's the case why do we need to carry all that palaver about us?
[ I suppose I need to ask a policeman :-) ]

It's a legal requirement here because the majority of casual drivers in the south are tourists. The old days when you could holiday here, drive illegally(drunk) and jump on a plane and get away with it are long gone, thank God.

casabonny
12-10-2013, 21:11
Well why should they do a job when they can get you to do it for them?!
seriously though they generally only do this in the case of an accident or where they are suspicious .

9PLUS
12-10-2013, 23:44

Not being able to ID someone in an instant, can waste police hours, The amount of people that lie to them is unreal, especially within the minority circles. I'm talking about identification in general, youre talking about "Number Plate Recognition" which doesn't really prove someones ID.

junglejim
13-10-2013, 09:12
Err! I'm sure they have their reasons but, what has that got to do with carrying documents in your car in Tenerife?

It's called "mission creep" Eddie - I blame 9Plus for starting it !!

Their reasons are well known in this little country , but that's for another Forum or thread !
OH !Wait ,somebody's at the door !