PDA

View Full Version : Other Two First Time Visits

Margaretta
22-10-2013, 19:13
For a long time I've had two ambitions which were fulfilled last holiday in Tenerife. I want to share these visits as I thought they were wonderful and hope that those who haven't done them yet will make time to do so on their next holiday. Our visits took place in September.
Hubby had a foot problem and wanted a day to relax...it was also Saturday.....football. He dropped my old schoolfriend and myself at Los Cristianos Bus station and we bought our bus Bonos. So easy,we took the bus to Santa Cruz bus station, crossed the road and bought tickets for about two euros 50 return for the tram/train to the end of the line at La Laguna. Just a very short walk ahead and into the main town which is absolutely enchanting. We were so lucky...a huge procession was just starting and all the church, mayoral and council silver seemed to be on display with fantastic orchids and bands as the crucifix was carried along with lots of very well-dressed citizens. The streets are cobbled, the balconies wooden and traditional and on that day bedecked with red banners. So many eating places, masses of history, trees, gardens and great shops with really original products. The famous palm tree walk was quite something to see and the tourist office was really helpful. On two mornings per week they give an hour tour in English. The cathedral is currently closed for refurbishment but the Church of la Concepcion is well worth a visit for its ceiling despite some gruesome statues around. Fabulous buildings and museums...can't wait to go back this time with hubby.
I was ironing and about to cook dinner when he said "Pack a picnic and we'll go up the mountain to see the stars." I can't tell you how very many years I have wanted to do this. We set off at around 19.10p.m. with a very ill-considered picnic and took the San Miguel/Vilaflor route with jeans and jackets on the back seat. We certainly needed them. What a breathtaking sight to see that red and orange bar sunset! We didn't stop at Vilaflor but it was fantastic to pause several times beyond that to see the effect of the setting sun on the sea, La Gomera and mountains. Great for photos. Bizarre to be in the only car facing the Roques de Garcia and eating ham and Branston Pickle sandwiches as the sun disappeared and the light from Venus sparkled like the Koh-in-Or diamond. Only small lights from the Parador and Cablecar building shone faintly. Then the stars appeared and I cannot describe the awesome magnificence. We stopped at various pull-ins with the binoculars and wished we had deckchairs as it was so dizzying to crane you neck for a long period.
Not a night for alcohol although I felt very green winding down to the motorway via La Escalona but it was well worth it and it's another visit we can't wait to repeat.

candy2411
22-10-2013, 21:25
Sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing with us. I wonder if there are any evening excursions to the mountains, I know there are plenty by day but the evening sounds enchanting.
Personally I'd be a bit sceptical doing the trip at night in a hire car!:dontknow:

Margaretta
22-10-2013, 23:11
Thanks Candy. Yes, for the same reason hubby was reluctant to do the night time mountain tour for years. It costs between one and two hundred pounds per person to do the coach tour which includes dinner and a talk by an astronomer. Another alternative is a night at the Parador with dinner...not too expensive for a double room.
But in the end we drove up as the sun was setting, so it was still light, and came down by the wider road. Hubby said the La Escalona route was easier in the dark. he is now eager to take all our friends.

Just an addition to the visit to La Laguna. It is really hard to park there so we found public transport worry-free and so direct. I love the buses because you sit up high and see more of the landscape...and the people!

TOPGUN77
22-10-2013, 23:39
We are just in the process of booking a room at the Parador,should be an evening we wont forget.

Margaretta
23-10-2013, 09:59
Topgun77, I hope that it will be a wonderfully clear night for you. Please give us your feedback afterwards.

rosemary
23-10-2013, 11:09
Fabulous account Margaretta, thankyou. We shall be watching now for a clear night and will follow suit. The coach tour sounds a bit of a rip off. No excuse for us, we have a car and we live here so we should have had the get up and go to have done it already, we talked about it often enough!

candy2411
23-10-2013, 12:30
We are just in the process of booking a room at the Parador,should be an evening we wont forget.

Should be fantastic, I suppose it get's booked up way in advance ? is it best to book direct or can you use a booking site?

rosemary
23-10-2013, 14:49
She left the ironing
and away they flew
to see the stars
a celestial view

Above them the sky
an awesome sight
below them the islands
lit by night

As they munched on their picnic
of branston and ham
Margaretta sat upright
What an idjiot I am

I left the iron on..........

Margaretta
23-10-2013, 23:07
Rosemary...that is perfect! :lol: Leaving the iron on is my speciality. Idea for another thread here.

junglejim
24-10-2013, 05:09
Margarett , I think you'll find if you go on the tram directly after coming on bus , your Bono gets you to La Laguna free and conversely if you come of tram onto bus . your fare back to PDLA is discounted also.

http://www.tranviatenerife.com/dmdocuments/diptico_validar.pdf

http://www.titsa.com/index.php?accion=articulosseccion&IdSeccion=164

rosemary
24-10-2013, 11:09
:laugh: glad u liked it Margaretta....I might do it again sometime....

ribuck
24-10-2013, 15:11
Personally I'd be a bit sceptical doing the trip at night in a hire car!:dontknow:

The road via Vilaflor and Arona is quite decent, even though there are lots of bends. In one way it's easier at night, because the glow of oncoming headlights tells you when someone is approaching around a blind corner.

candy2411
24-10-2013, 18:49
The road via Vilaflor and Arona is quite decent, even though there are lots of bends. In one way it's easier at night, because the glow of oncoming headlights tells you when someone is approaching around a blind corner.

It's not the road that bothers me.....it's the thought of a possible breakdown or unsavoury characters lurking !! Yeah, I know I'm a scaredy-cat :tmnt: ( apologies to turtles but that's the nearest smiley I could find )!

Margaretta
25-10-2013, 19:33
Thank you JungleJim. We thought we were Ok too and we showed the tramdriver our Bono passes but he showed us how to buy our tram tickets. Maybe because it was Saturday?

junglejim
25-10-2013, 19:35
Thank you JungleJim. We thought we were Ok too and we showed the tramdriver our Bono passes but he showed us how to buy our tram tickets. Maybe because it was Saturday?

I far as I am aware the Bono is valid on tram every day , you just put it in the machine on tram and it recognises you as having come off the bus , same on way back if within time limit , the bus processor will discount your ticket .

Margaretta
25-10-2013, 19:39
And we thought the tram-driver was so charming.....! Thanks for the tip.
Glad it wasn't an exorbitant fare.:whistle:

TOPGUN77
25-10-2013, 19:55
Topgun77, I hope that it will be a wonderfully clear night for you. Please give us your feedback afterwards.
Will be more than happy to

ddoyle
26-10-2013, 18:34
Have done the mountain trip myself, make sure to bring a flash light, something to lay down on the ground is a good idea as well.