PDA

View Full Version : Other I need information about sightseeing with 2 year old in north Tenerife

lucy sassoon
28-10-2013, 14:52
I am going to tenerife with my 2 year old at xmas. I went the last 2 years and love staying in Los Gigantes which is pretty but fancy something more scenic and interesting for some of the trip too.

So thought about renting a car for 4 of the days I am i Los Gigantes to head to the north and saw you have been there. Would you mind if I asked you if you had any suggestions on the following:

1) I' love Mt Teide so will go there on the way. But thinking of heading towards the places I have seen that look beautiful nearer Santa Cruz on the web but know v little about them. Also quite nervous about how the roads are there..

The places I have seen online that look pretty to me are:
Punta de Teno

Las Montanas de Anaga

Reserva Ambiental de San Blas, San Miguel de Abona

Garachico

Playa de Benijo

Taganana

Aganas Mountains

La Laguna

and.. San Cristobel de la Laguna.

Santa Cruz

Not sure if anybody knows any of them or could suggest anything. At present I havent got a clue what makes sense to do; whether 4 days travelling with car out of the trip is enough and where it is best to stay for these individual places... i.e. stay in la laguna or santa cruz.. or somewhere in aganas mountains???. esp if only me and my toddler....especially dont want dangerous roads to get there!
Happy to find places to stay as i go along if you think that makes sense and you can get cheap places 20th dec time??

Sorry to throw this at you as you dont even know me:) hehe.. But are you able to shed any light .. with a view to me being someone who loves nature and the feeling of seeing the real tenerife and interesting places (but has limitations of little kid with me)..and someone who has lived in Asia and Australia and NZ etc for 10 years so loves independent travelling ( as opposed to playa de las americas) and wants to create a route that makes sense.

Thanks SO much.. Look forward to hearing from you.
Hope you dont mind!

Lucy

sundownersvince
28-10-2013, 20:29
Well done Lucy, you have made my day. Another adventurous soul. The roads are fine and nowhere is more than about an hour and a half away, even from Los Gigantes! Have fun.

minimadmandy
28-10-2013, 22:31
Lucy we are fairly new to Tenerife and have found a book called Real Tenerife Island Drives invaluable. With easy to follow directions, suggested stops, restaurant detours and picnic areas and hidden aspects of some favourite destinations. Completed one yesterday and stopped at all the recommended places, some of which we would never have found ourselves. It was a great day out, one My children will be talking about for a long time. See their web site www.realtenerifeislanddrives.com

Yvonne and Andy
29-10-2013, 16:02
We stayed in north of island in the summer and now going again for Xmas very relaxing hotel great food and entertainment hotel does car hire also punta del rey

Yvonne and andy

Stoney
29-10-2013, 18:23
Lucy Tenerife has only a few roads that are quite bendy, but if you drive at a reasonable speed none are what you would call scary or dirt tracks. You would have no problem using Los G as a base, with the motorways you can drive round the island in about 4 hours including a few short stops. Suggest you get the car for a week and it is only usually about 20 Euros more than the 4 days hire , get one of the free maps from the airport and just drive around, we have found some great little places.

tracy hampshire
31-10-2013, 18:44
if you come across the mountains from los giganties it s only just ove an hours drive to garachico, i would suggest booking a room in puerto de la cruz , it s very central , and only about half an hours drive away from anywhere on the northern coast , garachico is beautiful, la laguna is a lovely historic town with some wonderful old buildings & fabulous independent little shops, don t forget la oratava that is such a pretty little town , last i heard was the road to punto de teno was closed, but may be open again by the time you get here, i live in icod de los vinos, also a pretty little town, the northern coast is spectacular & so very green, i hope you have a wonderful visit xxxx