PDA

View Full Version : I want to move to Tenerife in 2016

synhide
28-10-2013, 16:55
Hi everyone, just joined.

Background..... Myself a working mum and my husband have always lived apart as his occupation means he works oversees on a 8 on 4 off rota, this suits us and our 3 year old daughter, however we are becoming more and more unsatisfied with our life here on his return to the UK and as hubby's job means we could live anywhere we are seriously considering a move to sunnier climates.

The plan....... Remain as we are until 2016 as this gives us plenty of time to save up money, research and visit Tenerife to find out what area is best for schools, community, amenities. Myself and my three year old would also have spanish tutoring in this time to gives us a bit of a head start, the downfall to this is that my daughter would have to start school for reception in the UK and then move schools in 2016, however she is a very social and adaptable little girl and we would ensure we visited potential new schools with her before the move, the debate will be spanish vs english speaking? so any advice on this would be much appreciated. The transition for my husband would be dead easy, instead of coming into UK for his 4 week break he would just come to Tenerife instead he probably wouldn't even notice we've moved!!!. The transition for my daughter a little more complicated but as she would be 6yrs on the 01.01.2016 I hope she is still in that adaptable age, For me the issues are endless but ones I am determined to overcome such as learning spanish and adapting to a completely new way of life not to forgetting even driving in another country as i'm not that great here!!! As I would not want to per sue any sort of employment in my current occupation (manager of a children's home) we would be looking at options to purchase small guest house, villa or finca that I could run as a B&B but this avenue is to be researched however this seems the best option of combining a home and business for me.

So that the dream!!!!..... Im 35, husband 37 and daughter 3... are we mad?? and should we just put up with the depressing weather, rise in cost of living and school classes exceeding 34 children?? My current occupation means I see the worst that our society offers UK children but would life in Tenerife once we've got over all the hurdles really be better?

Sorry for the long post and detail but once I set my mind on something I become a little obsessive and any replies with as much info as possible on where to look to live, running a B&B, schools, children lives, fitting in, etc etc etc would be so kind of you.

Thanks for reading

Sy and Heidi aka synhide xx

Timdowd
30-10-2013, 07:34
Hello Heidi, as this is my first post let me welcome us both... :)
I would just like to answer your question about Spanish or English... My wife and I and our 4 year old daughter moved to the USA with my work (we live in Germany and they are both German) she adapted, as children do, very easily and quickly... There were a lot of German families there and they had a lively "German" social life... I can imagine that it is similar to ex-pat Brits in Tenerife... After 6 months the wives were talking German and the kids were playing in English... My message is do not worry about the languages your child is exposed to before 10 it is only an advantage...

doreen
30-10-2013, 13:31
Welcome to the Forum synhide ...I won't attempt to answer on schools as I have no direct experience, but you will find a lot of discussion in former threads: most will recommend a Spanish school for a younger pupil.

One area where I can comment is that the concept of B & B just does not exist in the Canaries: you have hotels or apartments in Touristic complexes run by a "Sole Agent" (and lots of currently illegal lettings in non Touristic apartment complexes). There will be no way to become a legally operating business running a B & B.

EDIT - there is separate legislation covering "Rural" hotels, which is very specific to older properties.

bonitatime
30-10-2013, 15:12
My thought too was the only concept for this is to buy a pension or a casa Rural as that is distinct to all other rentals.
If she speaks some Spanish and at least knows her letters and start to read she will fit in fine. 6 is still an easy age to adapt. It is the first real school year
Try to learn Spanish and something for websites as the sort of business you are talking about clients will probably come from online sources

Tom & Sharon
30-10-2013, 16:14
Hi Heidi and welcome to the forum.

While you have an income that is independent of Tenerife, there is no reason that you could not relocate to Tenerife. The island is beautiful as is the climate. It is a lovely place for a child to grow up, and for you to spend quality "together time" as a family when your husband is on his down time.

At the age of 6, your daughter will adapt to whatever you decide. She will be just as happy in an English or a Spanish school. Its you that will have to give a lot of thought to your long term plans. If you put her in a Spanish school, she will pick up the language in no time at that age, and to be able to speak 2 languages fluently is a wonderful gift to be give to any child. The Spanish and UK education qualifications are now interchangeable, and if she were to go all through school in the Spanish system, she would still be able to go to University in the UK if she wished at that time. The problems can arise if you decided you wanted to come back to the UK in the meantime though before her education was finished. Once she reached secondary age, it can be difficult to swap back. Everything they learn is obviously Spanish, so think of names of countries, chemicals, planets, equations, theories. Everything they know is Spanish, and to swap back to the UK system at that stage is difficult. So it's you that has to give it great thought. Are you determined you will be staying forever? For 5years, 10 years?
At 6, I would probably put her in the English system until you know the answer to the above. You will know within a year or two if it's a forever decision, and there would still be time for her to swap to the Spanish system at that time, if that's what you so wished.

You will find Wingate school here - http://www.wingateschool.com/

As has been pointed out already, the idea of a B&B is pretty much a non-starter. Your only chance is a casa rural, but as the name suggests, you will be fairly remote. Is this something that would suit you? In reality, you would be in a very Spanish area, and when your husband is away working, just you and your 6 year old. Would that be something that would appeal to you? Is it practical? Only you know whether that is something for you or not. Again you have to think hard. How many times have you been to Tenerife? Which bits have you visited? Have you been up the mountain and been off the tourist trail?

Just a couple of things for you to consider.

synhide
30-10-2013, 23:12
Thank you very much for your replies.

A lot to think about. It has been the traditional "fincas" that we have been looking at, and yes this would mean we are very remote and I do need to consider how I would cope as I am a very social person. We have also seen through some estate agents on the web large villas in more "populated" areas that state easily converted into guest houses and or already established guest houses so maybe this would be a better option to look at when we visit early next year. It is encouraging to read that you feel life is good for children and that my little one would adapt well as this is the main reason for our relocation. We are lucky that My husband has a independent income but having worked full time it is really important to me that I have something to do as well.

Thank you again for your responses.

Heidi and Sy

bonitatime
01-11-2013, 00:33
Please be careful with what Estate Agents and even lawyers tell you. The Law governing holiday rentals is very complicated and recently The island governement has started to inforce it agressively.
Casa Rurales need to be investigated as I am not sure they need to be isolated

doreen
02-11-2013, 17:23
Thank you very much for your replies.

A lot to think about. It has been the traditional "fincas" that we have been looking at, and yes this would mean we are very remote and I do need to consider how I would cope as I am a very social person. We have also seen through some estate agents on the web large villas in more "populated" areas that state easily converted into guest houses and or already established guest houses so maybe this would be a better option to look at when we visit early next year. It is encouraging to read that you feel life is good for children and that my little one would adapt well as this is the main reason for our relocation. We are lucky that My husband has a independent income but having worked full time it is really important to me that I have something to do as well.

Heidi and Sy

I have to strongly agree with bonitatime here ... no matter what estate agents might have told you, large villas are not currently capable of being turned into a legal B&B enterprise. Some people have been running illegal lets such as these and many are for sale now due to the crackdown that started two years ago.

There is new legislation proposed that will allow stand alone villas in tourist areas (and are of a certain size and 150 metres plus from the sea etc etc) apply to be individual units to let out - that is all, no possibility of a guest house.

synhide
02-11-2013, 18:01
Thank you so much doreen, it would be awful if we bought a 6 bedded villa only to find out we wouldn't be able to do anything with it. Although my husband earns a good income I would be concerned if their isn't a possibility of me running some sort of guest house. As apart from no income I think I would get very board having been used to full time work. So many people have told me not to trust estate agents and one article suggested that solicitors were not that honest either as bonitatime warned!!!

I think we may have to go re look at our options before we visit next year, I have tried hard to find up to date info on the new legislation but all the info I read seems to be outdated. I wonder if anyone knows where we can find the rules and Regs for the type of business we are considering.

Still trying to cling on to the dream however, I did read that Casa Rurals are at present still an option as long as you do not exceed certain occupancy levels..... however again can I believe this.

Anyway we are not giving up but I like to be armed with all the info available so hopefully our trip out in april next year might provide answers but I will of course now be more inclined to be cautious in trusting information.

Thank you again for your time

Heidi

bonitatime
02-11-2013, 21:24
These are in Spanish but cover the law for Casas Rurales
http://www.mesadelturismo.com/common/mt/unidad/material/rural/tr_canarias.php3

http://www.siecan.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=290%3Aapertura-de-establecimientos-de-turismo-rural&catid=66&Itemid=114&lang=es

9PLUS
03-11-2013, 09:21
What I would do if i was you is plan well ahead of your move

X