PDA

View Full Version : Health What can I do to control high cholesterol in Tenerife?

julia44
29-10-2013, 09:45
I was diagnosed with very high cholesterol and the doctor gave me statins to reduce it, the pills were the most dreadful things and I have never felt soo ill in all my life, I also found alot of people have a bad reaction to statins as well.
If anyone else has problems I have now found something natural, in Spain Lecitina de Soja or in the UK Soya Lecithin after only a month of taking this my cholesterol has reduced quite significantly.

junglejim
29-10-2013, 11:28
Lecithin is a phospholipid ( a type of fat ) and is not always to be taken in excess , especially for pregnant women , that's why they don 't get to eat a lot of eggs .
It' s also used as an emulsifier in lots of industries including food .
http://www.drugs.com/mtm/soya-lecithin.html

garlicbread
29-10-2013, 12:16
there are also many types of prescribed medication to treat high cholesterol, go back to your doctor quickly and tell him/her about the side effects you have experienced so that your medication can be changed

Fivepence
29-10-2013, 12:19
there are also many types of prescribed medication to treat high cholesterol, go back to your doctor quickly and tell him/her about the side effects you have experienced so that your medication can be changed

That is the best advice. :goodluck:

julia44
29-10-2013, 13:04

The doctor knows that I can not take the tablets and knows I am on the soya lecithin, loads of people around here are taking it instead of statins, it was just a recommendation for anyone else that had problems with statins.

Megaloo
29-10-2013, 14:58
My Son was diagnosed with high cholesterol a few years back, did not take Statins but went on Weight Watchers diet because he had weight to lose but his cholesterol went right back below normal.

Also this 5-2 diet if you read up on that many peoples blood result are now excellent after doing that. So maybe you could do it with diet.

Bazz
29-10-2013, 17:33
I was diagnosed with very high cholesterol and the doctor gave me statins to reduce it, the pills were the most dreadful things and I have never felt soo ill in all my life, I also found alot of people have a bad reaction to statins as well.
If anyone else has problems I have now found something natural, in Spain Lecitina de Soja or in the UK Soya Lecithin after only a month of taking this my cholesterol has reduced quite significantly.

How high was your cholesterol?
My friend's was 5.3 and she had a call from her doc saying she wanted it under 5!!! I would have thought 5.3 was very good.
Try eating porridge for breakfast too, it's meant to lower it.
Mind you they seemed to have changed their minds lately about eggs and butter, saying you can eat a lot of eggs and butter too, instead of margarine!
The statins do seem to have a lot of side affects, like muscle pain, etc.

Peter Pan
29-10-2013, 19:32
I have used statins Simivastavin for three years now, my cholesterol is 3.8, never had any problems.

If you have any problems with statins you must go back to your GP, not just stop taking them!!!

Peter Pan

BoPeep
29-10-2013, 19:49
My husband had his cholestrol checked at the UK doctors and was told it was too high at 6.5. When he asked what the breakdown of 'good' to 'bad' cholestrol was the clerk didnt know but told him he should go on statins and stop eating chips, do more exercise and lose weight - he is 10 stone 4!!!!!!!!!!!

He went to my doctor and asked her to check it and she said there was nothing wrong with his cholestrol, his 'bad' cholestrol was low and his 'good' cholestrol was high giving a bad reading overall but no problem and no treatment.

delderek
29-10-2013, 20:03
Its very much down to individual doctors...older ones seem to think 5 or 5.5 is ok. Younger ones want to keep it below 4. Average in japan is 3.4...and they don't have heart attacks. So choice as always down to you. If your happy with a reading of 5 plus no problem. If not insist your doctor puts you on Statins. Also now good evidence they keep alzheimers away

BoPeep
29-10-2013, 20:11
Most up to date doctors would not consider using an overall rate like 5.5, they should look at the HDL 'good' and LDL 'bad' cholestrol rates, not the overall according to my doctors surgery.

delderek
29-10-2013, 20:52
Most up to date doctors would not consider using an overall rate like 5.5, they should look at the HDL 'good' and LDL 'bad' cholestrol rates, not the overall according to my doctors surgery.

Yeh, its a bit confusing, but the world standard is "Total Cholesterol, i,e 5.5 type reading", but here is what the British heart federation state:

If you need to have your cholesterol measured, it will be in units called millimols per litre of blood (mmol/l). You should aim to have a total cholesterol level under 4mmol/l especially if you are at risk of, or already have, heart and circulatory disease. You should also aim to have your LDL under 2 mmol/l and your HDL above 1 mmol/l.

warbey
29-10-2013, 21:03
I had a Reading of 7.3 when tested and at that time the Doc wanted it down to 5. This would be around 2001.

I was prescribed 30 mg Tablets, one each night.

I suffered side-effects for some Years especially apparent muscle ache and Indigestion.

As I was around 4.5, I carried on for some Years. Eventually,

I complained to a Doc at the Hospital when being checked up.

He recommended 10mg Tablets of Rosuvastatin which were just as good and very little side effects at all

So Yes, tell the Doctor.......

My stats are now 3.4 and Everyone is happy. (although they appear to be a trifle more expensive).

delderek
29-10-2013, 21:19
I had a Reading of 7.3 when tested and at that time the Doc wanted it down to 5. This would be around 2001.

I was prescribed 30 mg Tablets, one each night.

I suffered side-effects for some Years especially apparent muscle ache and Indigestion.

As I was around 4.5, I carried on for some Years. Eventually,

I complained to a Doc at the Hospital when being checked up.

He recommended 10mg Tablets of Rosuvastatin which were just as good and very little side effects at all

So Yes, tell the Doctor.......

My stats are now 3.4 and Everyone is happy. (although they appear to be a trifle more expensive).

NHS now try to put everyone on Simvastatin which is cheap and out of patent. But dose needed is double that of most others. Tried to change me to it last year and had bad side effects. Back to my normal one which i have taken for 10 years and no more problems.

julia44
30-10-2013, 07:10
My Son was diagnosed with high cholesterol a few years back, did not take Statins but went on Weight Watchers diet because he had weight to lose but his cholesterol went right back below normal.

Also this 5-2 diet if you read up on that many peoples blood result are now excellent after doing that. So maybe you could do it with diet.

I dont think weight watchers is for me I only weigh 8st 4lb
I have changed what I eat for example changed british cheese for fresh goats cheese and stopped cooking with butter and cream etc

Not the same numbers in Spain my reading was 326 and should be 150-200.

Peter Pan
30-10-2013, 08:01

Quite right!

Peter Pan

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

It is all down to what the World Health Organisation quote (WHO).

Peter Pan

Megaloo
30-10-2013, 09:57
I have changed what I eat for example changed british cheese for fresh goats cheese and stopped cooking with butter and cream etc

In that case not a good idea otherwise yh9ou may waste away.

Maybe use a drink a day that lowers your cholesterol
and the fat spread, I have no personal experience but a friend reckons his cholesterol has gone down since doing this.??

delderek
30-10-2013, 10:27

Divide by 38.66 to convert to uk type reading. 326 is 8.4.

BoPeep
30-10-2013, 12:05
Not all oily food - cant beat oily fish - but certainly fatty food!

primrose
30-10-2013, 16:40
Not all oily food - cant beat oily fish - but certainly fatty food!

Have just got back from the Doctors after getting results of my Blood Tests, one of which was for cholesterol and was told it was perfecto. How I have no idea as I eat so much rubbish and fatty food ,the only thing I can think of is that I don't eat meat,and the only fish I eat is with a plateful of chips at Scampi's.:cooking:

Peter Pan
30-10-2013, 17:08
Have just got back from the Doctors after getting results of my Blood Tests, one of which was for cholesterol and was told it was perfecto. How I have no idea as I eat so much rubbish and fatty food ,the only thing I can think of is that I don't eat meat,and the only fish I eat is with a plateful of chips at Scampi's.:cooking:

:cheer::cheer::cheer::heyhey::heyhey::heyhey:

Peter Pan

Paulina
01-11-2013, 12:31
In the UK they often use a formula taking in other factors to determine risk before they make the decision.

rosemary
01-11-2013, 14:10
My Doc said never touch statins. They are very bad for the liver. Change your diet! Simples......

Paulina
01-11-2013, 15:44
My Doc said never touch statins. They are very bad for the liver. Change your diet! Simples......

I would personally never take statins but it is a very complex subject. The body will manufacture it's own cholesterol, often despite what you eat. We all respond differently to different types of fats.

I bought a testing kit and monitored mine for a year with some very knowledgeable advice. I was surprised when I was told eating butter would increase my HDL but totally gobsmacked when it proved to be true.

Not suggesting anyone rushes to stock up on butter by the way. :)

Also consider there is a school of thought that says high cholesterol is a symptom and lowering it won't necessarily cure the 'disease'

rosemary
01-11-2013, 16:04
I would personally never take statins but it is a very complex subject. The body will manufacture it's own cholesterol, often despite what you eat. We all respond differently to different types of fats.

I bought a testing kit and monitored mine for a year with some very knowledgeable advice. I was surprised when I was told eating butter would increase my HDL but totally gobsmacked when it proved to be true

Also consider there is a school of thought that says high cholesterol is a symptom and lowering it won't necessarily cure the 'disease'

Good reply Paulina. Everyone handles fat in a different way. Some are better at coping with it than others. Best to see the Doc and ask for testing after you change your diet. Many Docs don't like to do this as statins are the 'easy' way out. Best to inform yourself, read as much as you can and test to see how your new diet is doing.

primrose
01-11-2013, 16:10

I bought a testing kit and monitored mine for a year with some very knowledgeable advice. I was surprised when I was told eating butter would increase my HDL but totally gobsmacked when it proved to be true.

If diet was the only factor mine would be way off the scale but was told last week it was perfect,I love dairy products, I don't just spread anything I have with butter I plaster it on, eat lots of Cheese, love cream have full fat milk,but the 2 things I don't have that most people do are meat and alcohol.So I think you should all give up drink.:devil:

rosemary
01-11-2013, 16:20
If diet was the only factor mine would be way off the scale but was told last week it was perfect,I love dairy products, I don't just spread anything I have with butter I plaster it on, eat lots of Cheese, love cream have full fat milk,but the 2 things I don't have that most people do are meat and alcohol.So I think you should all give up drink.:devil:

Girl after my own heart. Lather on the butter, dollop on the cream, but no meat, and allergic to all alcohol.......it's all about body types.

primrose
01-11-2013, 16:50
Girl after my own heart. Lather on the butter, dollop on the cream, but no meat, and allergic to all alcohol.......it's all about body types.

How strange, I am also allergic to all alcohol.Thought it was only me never met anybody that was allergic to it and most people don't believe me when I tell them I am.

rosemary
01-11-2013, 17:40
How strange, I am also allergic to all alcohol.Thought it was only me never met anybody that was allergic to it and most people don't believe me when I tell them I am.

I agree. I never met anyone else who had the same problem, or blessing whichever!. I never knew I had it until I met a doctor at a party when I was in my 20's and I told her what happened when I drank wine or spirits, that I usually vomited and got migraines and pains down my arms. Plus the fact that I disliked the taste, wine tastes like petrol to me and every kind of perfume stings my skin. I thought it was just not eating before drinking that resulted in me throwing up in restaurants loos and strange bathrooms all the time.
So I stopped pretending to like it all! Most people think you are an old lush if you tell them!:spin:

slodgedad
01-11-2013, 21:44
Easy to say. I don't eat fat or the usual bad cholestrol foods and was told the only option was statins.

I took no heed and am now a recovering stroke victim.

Needless to say I am on statins now and my cholestrol is under control

junglejim
02-11-2013, 12:40
Easy to say. I don't eat fat or the usual bad cholestrol foods and was told the only option was statins.

I took no heed and am now a recovering stroke victim.

Needless to say I am on statins now and my cholestrol is under control

I had similiar problems initially above 7, dieting didn't bring my levels down enough , once on statins it came down below 4!

Paulina
02-11-2013, 12:46
I had similiar problems initially above 7, dieting didn't bring my levels down enough , once on statins it came down below 4!

All I would say is - have you cured a symptom or the root cause of the problem?

Not saying I have all the answers - just playing devils advocate! :spin: