PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Why did you choose Tenerife and not Gran Canaria?

JoeGC
30-10-2013, 11:30
A friendly hello from Gran Canaria, our home since nearly 8 years.
If I may ask, what made you decide to live on Tenerife and not on Gran Canaria?

Malteser Monkey
30-10-2013, 13:43
That is a very interesting question !

I lived in Tenerife for 10 years - I fell in love with it when I had my 2nd holiday there - it was just destiny. Loved every minute wouldn't have changed a thing. Loved everything about it !

I visited Gran Canaria and spent quite a lot of time in Gomera too !

Come on guys let's have your thoughts

oh and not forgetting Welcome from me !:welcome::wave:

Happy Days
30-10-2013, 16:53
Sorry Joe. Gran Canaria must be my least favorite of all the Islands.
That being said it, my first visit to Tenerife I left thinking I would never come back and I have lived here very happily for the last thirteen years.
I have visited Gran Canaria a number of times 15 to 20 times. So here goes... I don't like the atmosphere in the capital. Having been on nights out there maybe three or four times including the Carnival and for a concert. It feels like an uneasy mix of people, some thing I can't put my finger on. You know it just reminds me of Dundee in the sun (and that is no compliment).
Having driven though inland, I'm afraid I was left very un-inspired. Cannot be compared in any way to Tenerife, La Gomera or La Palma. The last time I was there, we had a five hour stop over between ferry's from Lanzarote, and decided to head inland for some thing to eat. Drove for two hours and ended back in a cafe next to a service station in Las Palmas... I maybe should have planned but I had really hoped to stumble across somewhere nice...
Stayed in Puerto Rico... not for me. Maspalomas... strange goings on in the dunes, and kind of rundown. Playa de Ingles, well it's quite nice there, but I think there is much more on offer between La Caleta and Los Critianos.
Gran Canaria for me seams to be an urban sprall from Las Palmas to Maspalomas, and doesn't offer that special something I think you can find on any of the other Islands.

Now Joe, I look forward to hearing from you as to what I may be missing out on...

Welcome to the forum from me too...

JoeGC
30-10-2013, 17:24
we had some holidays on
Gran Canaria 1980th - discovered an all you can eat buffet for the first time,
Tenerifa 1980th - where are the beaches and what about these cactus fields all around,
Lanzarote 1980th - it is a dry island, why is it so green from the air? same reason we had to move 3 times during a 2 weeks vacation... torrential rain 12 out of 14 days.
La Palma end of 1990th - lived for 3 Months there - it just did not sparkle
Gran Canaria the miniature continent, with beaches, mountains and a lot more seemed to be th right choice to live in the Euro zone with one of the "best" climate around. (the just forget to mention the SAL = Sahara Air Layer)
Since a few years I am doing research in micro climate zones and also this year in the adverse healths effects of the SAL for people living on the Canary Islands.
(funny thing is there are more studies how it effects people in the Caribbean than right here...)

So this is why we ended up on Gran Canaria

Angusjim
30-10-2013, 17:32
Sorry Joe. Gran Canaria must be my least favorite of all the Islands.
That being said it, my first visit to Tenerife I left thinking I would never come back and I have lived here very happily for the last thirteen years.
I have visited Gran Canaria a number of times 15 to 20 times. So here goes... I don't like the atmosphere in the capital. Having been on nights out there maybe three or four times including the Carnival and for a concert. It feels like an uneasy mix of people, some thing I can't put my finger on. You know it just reminds me of Dundee in the sun (and that is no compliment).
Having driven though inland, I'm afraid I was left very un-inspired. Cannot be compared in any way to Tenerife, La Gomera or La Palma. The last time I was there, we had a five hour stop over between ferry's from Lanzarote, and decided to head inland for some thing to eat. Drove for two hours and ended back in a cafe next to a service station in Las Palmas... I maybe should have planned but I had really hoped to stumble across somewhere nice...
Stayed in Puerto Rico... not for me. Maspalomas... strange goings on in the dunes, and kind of rundown. Playa de Ingles, well it's quite nice there, but I think there is much more on offer between La Caleta and Los Critianos.
Gran Canaria for me seams to be an urban sprall from Las Palmas to Maspalomas, and doesn't offer that special something I think you can find on any of the other Islands.

Now Joe, I look forward to hearing from you as to what I may be missing out on...

Welcome to the forum from me too...

I find your comments about Dundee quite offensive:whistle::whistle:

JoeGC
30-10-2013, 18:10
sorry guys, you lost me there -I just know about crocodile dundee
Happy Days - your observations are spot on, now add little places for a lot of rent, mostly a crappy internet connection, exploding prices, bad quality in almost everything from houses, services, health care to food stuff.
Over 50% unemployed 18 to 30 year olds, a police force what is more annoying that the criminals and what tries to keep itīs job by singling out the non Canaries and slap them with ridiculous fines for bagatelles.

On the other hand there is much joy and beauty to behold if you do not submerge yourself in the capital city or the tourist areas...

and thank you for the welcome

rosemary
30-10-2013, 18:34
Such a good question this. We had a great timeshare in GC at the Anfi resort, stunning architecture and an amazing stolen sahara beach with beautiful tropical gardens. But Gran Canaria seemed a smaller island than Tenerife, too dense a build up of crappy apartments, and I agree totally about the Capital, very uneasy feeling there. Some extremely pretty villages inland.
But whenever I caught a glimpse of Teide on the horizon which I often did, I just knew I wanted to be there. Tenerife seemed a grander, more beautiful island, with more Canarian character.

Welcome Joe. Interesting work you are in. It's - since 2005, since I met you, since we moved to Gran Canaria, - and 'for' 8 long years........sorry but I taught English once. :)

sundownersvince
30-10-2013, 18:59
Black sand, lovely contrast with pink skin.

candy2411
30-10-2013, 19:42
My first trip to the Canaries was to Gran Canaria. I loved the climate and thought it a great holiday destination but with no yearning to return.

Next year I visited Tenerife and it was love at first sight !! That was over 20 years ago so don't think anything will change my mind now!

TOPGUN77
30-10-2013, 20:10
Been to GC a few times it would probably have been my second choice to live but Tenerife has the whole package for me.

Malteser Monkey
30-10-2013, 21:05
It's - since 2005, since I met you, since we moved to Gran Canaria, - and 'for' 8 long years........sorry but I taught English once. :)

Oi Mrs if I started picking up on the English spelling, there be nobody left on 'ere and bin learning it for 40+ years..:whistle::crylaughing:

Me entiendes:wink:

warbey
30-10-2013, 21:28
We too liked Anfi Beach and it's Layout.

We liked the various Places along the South coast, but not the ups and downs carved by Lava presumably.

It felt somewhat hidden, wherever You are.

I loved the Market at Arguinegane (hope that's almost correct spelling)

The People who lived and worked there were lovely, as also in the other Islands.....but

I too prefer Tenerife, South or North, but no complaints about any other Island either.....

slodgedad
30-10-2013, 21:47
We holidayed every year from 76 to 88 in GC. We were looking for somewhere else to live after being in the UK for 14 years and becoming parents.

GC was on the radar as was Germany (I wanted my daughter educating outside of the UK as I was.)

There was something about GC that didn't ring true. Maybe it was the amount of work aimed at other immigrants rather than Brits (Germans) or the general hygeine which was a disgrace.

One visit to Tenerife in 89 and my mind was made up.

Been here since 94. Have visited GC twice for old times sake. Once where we came back next day and the other when we went to visit someone for a long weekend in Puerto Rico and all three of us spent the weekend in bed with the screaming abdabs.
If I won a holiday in GC and couldn't sell it I would give it away.

(My personal opininion and does not reflect my status on the Forum)

rosemary
30-10-2013, 22:39
Oi Mrs if I started picking up on the English spelling, there be nobody left on 'ere and bin learning it for 40+ years..:whistle::crylaughing:

Me entiendes:wink:

Malteser I would never normally presume, but Joe apologised for his 'bad english learned on streets in US' in post 6, so I thought I would help him out.:respect:

Malteser Monkey
30-10-2013, 22:44
Malteser I would never normally presume, but Joe apologised for his 'bad english learned on streets in US' in post 6, so I thought I would help him out.:respect:

Yes I know but that's the forum and don't we love it - hey The Scots take a bashing off me everyday

Rosemary you should know me by now hun :pray:

Margaretta
31-10-2013, 00:13
I have only been to Madeira, which is Portuguese, and no other Canarian Islands. It's nice to dream; we get excited when it's a clear day and can see across to La Gomera, La Palma, occasionally El Hierro and often Gran Canaria. That's it I suppose. we have the mountain, the highest in Spain. It has scenery, variety, magnetism and mystery. We wake up and look at it to gauge the weather, watch the cloud formations and colours as they change with the sunrise and sunset. Never dull and always beautiful. Our mountain and our island. So happy to be there and so much to explore. it always feels safe too. I certainly don't need to be elsewhere.

Medanoman
31-10-2013, 01:05
It should not be called "Gran" canaria it is anything but gran.. Its correct Name is Canaria ..and the Gran was added by a few over zealous Spanish politicians who trusted the cartographers at the time.

It alas isn't the biggest island, Tenerife is.. and for my money Tenerife is far superior. Also carnival over there is a joke, a very , very poor second to Santa Cruz.

While i understand that turning many locations into gay resorts is economically motivated, in these times of crisis having an affluent client base is a good idea. I am not sure if its really the correct way to go. Each to his own. But i just don't understand why there is so much coverage of the drag queen carnival scene on Spanish TV...The Tenerife Version is good fun for everyone regardless of sexual bent , race or gender and does not look like it is being hijacked by gay pride.........

In my mind the specific inclusion of one community is specifically excluding others...I think the balance is better here.

sundownersvince
31-10-2013, 01:30
Ahhhh, El Medano, laid back kind of place, full of young surfer dudes. Now let me gaze into the Chrystal Ball, yep, the new Brighton of Tenerife, just next to Tenerifes premier naturist beach. Perfect. :whistle:

Margaretta
01-11-2013, 10:35
Vince....you are wishing.........:wave::wink:

I just want to add that people just don't see the islands. The main resorts and events are mentioned but the real islands deserve proper exploration before decisions are made. The Canarians carry on enjoying their festivals and quieter places despite us!!they are happy for us to join in respectfully.

Kinney61
01-11-2013, 11:32
My first trip to the Canaries was to Gran Canaria. I loved the climate and thought it a great holiday destination but with no yearning to return.

Next year I visited Tenerife and it was love at first sight !! That was over 20 years ago so don't think anything will change my mind now!

We visited Tenerife several years ago as a memory trip for my partner whose parents stayed there for many years. We went to Pebble Beach, Amarilla Golf for the day and fell in love with it. When we came back next year to buy a property and found the perfect one for us....I could not have been more happy with our choice of Island. We live full time on an Island and Tenerife is our perfect home from home.

carolethatch
01-11-2013, 12:12
First visit and we hated it, that down mainly to the awful accomodation. The next visit in a lovely hotel, and we fell in love with the island. We looked at a few apartments, and bought one off plan, and now spend as much time as possible in it. We explore everywhere by bus, with our bono card, and each time love it even more.

BoPeep
01-11-2013, 13:42
We went to Gran Canaria many times with the children and had wonderful summer holidays.

Now we are older and come over on our own for longer periods we prefer Tenerife because we like mountain and forest walks and there are more in Tenerife because of the National Park.

Angusjim
01-11-2013, 13:51
My observation having visited both islands is that there is a better class of Ex Pat on Gran Canaria:whistle::c2:

Malteser Monkey
01-11-2013, 14:09
My observation having visited both islands is that there is a better class of Ex Pat on Gran Canaria:whistle::c2:

and that's why you chose Tenerife :D

Angusjim
01-11-2013, 14:42
and that's why you chose Tenerife :D

I know my place:laugh::tiphat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AF4rxTGYfM

Malteser Monkey
01-11-2013, 14:51
I know my place:laugh::tiphat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AF4rxTGYfM

that video will nae play:D can you chek it

Tshirt
01-11-2013, 14:57

Plays OK for me MM, must be an operator error...:sorry:

primrose
01-11-2013, 15:01

Takes a bit to get going I just clicked on the red line that tells you how long it's been playing and moved it along a few seconds.

Malteser Monkey
01-11-2013, 15:10
Working now how strange - yes I remember that one !

Jabba43
01-11-2013, 17:42
Flights go to tenerife from where I live. No other reason than that:laugh:

Hepa
15-12-2013, 17:08
I First arrived in Las Palmas de G.C. in the spring of 1962, yes 1962. I arrived on a Shell oil tanker, from Trinidad. The little I saw of Gran Canaria must have impressed me for I returned many times and still do.

Gran Canaria would have been my first choice of a place to retire, I think Las Palmas de G.C. is a fantastic city, great beach, nice promenade, fantastic restaurants, good bars and cheap, fantastic people and the best climate in the world. Whats more you don't need a car, the bus service is excellent.

However whilst on holiday in the province of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, on La Palma, the pretty isle, in the spring of 1995, we noticed a dark shape out to sea due south, I was sent to question the locals nearby,what was that island on the horizon, It was and still is The Meridian Isle of El Hierro.

In the Autumn of 1995 we arrived on a rickety old ferry at 11.30 at night, our hire car was waiting and we made our way to the Apartments at El Tamaduste, a 14 year old youth greeted us, and showed us our apartments. The village bar was shut.

The next day dawned and our exploration of the island began, we soon realised we were somewhere different, no high rise towers, no bisto gravy Yorkshire pudding full english breakfast establishments, in fact no U.K. tourists at all. The tranquility and scenic splendour oozed every where. The incredible friendliness of the local populace was a huge surprise. The tourist boom on the other islands passed by El Hierro, the Herreņos have retained their unique Canarian culture and charm.

Well that was many years ago and I now have been resident here on the island for over 10 years, but twice a year we take a 45 minute flight to Las Palmas de G.C. to stock up on tea bags and socks.

Hepa, El Hierro, in the province of Santa Cruz de Tenerife

essexeddie
03-01-2014, 18:11
Been on Tenerife for over 27 years, it seem to have the magic. Visited some of the other island including GC and they are all fine, but I just prefer Tenerife. Its not perfect but where is?
Popping over to Cape Verde Islands in Feb so that should be interesting.

Lissalyon
11-01-2014, 14:45
Went to Lanzarote before Christmas.

Won't be back.

It's just not Tenerife. Also the wind was awful, spoilt some lovely sunshiney days.

JMB777
13-01-2014, 23:07
I have lived in both Tenerife and Gran Canaria and both have their advantages and disadvantages.It deoends if , IMO, you want to stay in an area which is fairly bilingual e.g Los Christianos compared to , say, Santiago del Teide .If you are willing to fully integrate into the community, learn and practice Spanish, watch Spanish Tv etc ,talk to native speakers of Spanish etc, then living in a less touristy area may change your original opinion of either island.