PDA

View Full Version : Home and Garden How do you get rid of cockroaches in Tenerife?

karaokeking
01-11-2013, 10:58
Has anyone got any tips how to get rid of cockroaches. We seem to have one or two a night. I donīt mean the big ones you see outside. these are about half an inch long. We had ants a couple of years ago and managed to get rid of those, i think, but now the dam cockroaches are here. thanks.

Malteser Monkey
01-11-2013, 11:01
used to use Ebogon from the fereteria. It's ina dark plastic spray bottle I found it better than baygon !

JoeGC
02-11-2013, 11:15
If you see little ones in your home it could indicate a nest somewhere. The only thing we found what is working efficient (and we tried a lot of different ones) is a glue trap with cockroach bait. There are several traps in a box for 3.50 to 4.50 Euro and they can be found mostly in Chinese shops.
It is called: Hoy Hoy Trap A Roach
The trap is good for 4 to 6 weeks

nelson
02-11-2013, 13:01
I find that numbers vary greatly from holiday to holiday in our apartment. Likewise we dont see any during daytime but they appear in the middle of the night when mrs nelson goes to the loo. In 10 years holidaying in the apartment I have had many holidays with just maybe three intruders to deal with, and can report one holiday with zero to sort out. Worst one I had to kill 14 in a ten day stay. These are real big boys I might add, horribble cantilever monsters of around three inches long plus their long feelers.

I use all the sprays on thresholds but we like fresh air and sleep with doors ajar a bit. Once spotted in the wee hours I have to kill any that have arrived , we clearly wont rest easy until they are sorted.

The prime factor in us not having too many to deal with is the community pest control programme. If the pest man has done the complex their is no activity, they then build up before the next extermination outside on the complex, drains etc.

If you live on a complex perhaps you need the pest man to sort the complex to be on top of the problem?

primrose
02-11-2013, 13:33
I find that numbers vary greatly from holiday to holiday in our apartment. Likewise we dont see any during daytime but they appear in the middle of the night when mrs nelson goes to the loo. In 10 years holidaying in the apartment I have had many holidays with just maybe three intruders to deal with, and can report one holiday with zero to sort out. Worst one I had to kill 14 in a ten day stay. These are real big boys I might add, horribble cantilever monsters of around three inches long plus their long feelers.

I use all the sprays on thresholds but we like fresh air and sleep with doors ajar a bit. Once spotted in the wee hours I have to kill any that have

arrived , we clearly wont rest easy until they are sorted.

The prime factor in us not having too many to deal with is the community pest control programme. If the pest man has done the complex their is no activity, they then build up before the next extermination outside on the complex, drains etc.

If you live on a complex perhaps you need the pest man to sort the complex to be on top of the problem?

How do I stop my cat eating them? it loves a big cockroach, eats everything but the wings you would think it was chomping on a chicken leg the noise it makes while it is eating them.but frightened they will harm the cat if they have been sprayed.I haven't got it to 17 years old to be killed by a cockroach.:bite:

tfs1
02-11-2013, 14:49
On our complex the pest control man came last week with his 'smoke' machine to help manage the cockroach population.

Its interesting to see that when he lifts the lid on one of the drains he is about to spray how many of them are there, hundreds, just a few inches beneath your feet.

After giving each drain a lenthly spray a few 'lucky' escapees appear from drain outlets metres away and within minutes are on their back dead. All ready until the next lot arrive !

Thankfully due to this work we rarely see one around at anytime.

nelson
02-11-2013, 17:54
How do I stop my cat eating them? it loves a big cockroach, eats everything but the wings you would think it was chomping on a chicken leg the noise it makes while it is eating them.but frightened they will harm the cat if they have been sprayed.I haven't got it to 17 years old to be killed by a cockroach.:bite:

Your cat seems to be doing a fine job . Hopefully the cat is attracted to living ones running around? Enjoying the hunt? Treated ones would die quickly and maybe not interest the cat.

Not sure that the cockroach spray is dangerous to humans? Cats ? It stinks awful admitted and may result in a health scare in 20 years but for now it just seems to be insects affected. The ants don't bother me , industrious clean insects , too tiny to seem a threat. I was sad on my last holiday in our apartment to see loads of dead ants in the bathroom one morning after I had sprayed the edges the previous evening against the cockroaches.

JoeGC
02-11-2013, 20:03
Regarding spraying poison, here is a simple explanation from Homer if it is something to worry about..

http://www.videobash.com/video_show/the-simpsons-spider-poison-is-people-poison-179043