PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Where can I find British food in South supermarkets?

Newforest
03-11-2013, 19:41
Visiting in December and looking to stock up on British food like S & K puds, meat paste, Bovril, kippers (!!), cheddar cheese, your suggestions? T.I.A.

primrose
03-11-2013, 19:54
Visiting in December and looking to stock up on British food like S & K puds, meat paste, Bovril, kippers (!!), cheddar cheese, your suggestions? T.I.A.

There are 4 Icelands in the South,and you can get all that.

LUCKY
03-11-2013, 19:58

We have even got a Lidl, so you dont miss out on anything from home:flatcap:

primrose
03-11-2013, 20:02
We have even got a Lidl, so you dont miss out on anything from home:flatcap:

Don't think you will get what Newforest wants at Lidl, but the best place for Veg.

Newforest
03-11-2013, 20:03
Be glad to get away from Lidl for few days! So Iceland is not all frozen now, excuse my ignorance on recent shopping developments?!

LUCKY
03-11-2013, 20:07
Don't think you will get what Newforest wants at Lidl, but the best place for Veg.

it was said tongue in cheek , Newforest's location is Black forest and i slipped up by saying we.. oooppps:flatcap:

primrose
03-11-2013, 20:13
Be glad to get away from Lidl for few days! So Iceland is not all frozen now, excuse my ignorance on recent shopping developments?!

No not all frozen, sell all different groceries.Wouldn't recommend the Veg but there are big Spanish Supermarkets where you can buy quite a few English products and veg.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

it was said tongue in cheek , Newforest's location is Black forest and i slipped up by saying we.. oooppps:flatcap:

Thought you had moved from your Rose covered cottage to Tenerife.I used to live in a house called Rose Cottage,but in a far superior County.And just to keep on Topic there is even a Marks & Spencers food dept in Marks store in Santa Cruz.:hungry:

LUCKY
03-11-2013, 20:50
[QUOTE=primrose;331601]No not all frozen, sell all different groceries.Wouldn't recommend the Veg but there are big Spanish Supermarkets where you can buy quite a few English products and veg.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - - Thought you had moved from your Rose covered cottage to Tenerife.I used to live in a house called Rose Cottage,but in a far superior County.And just to keep on Topic there is even a Marks & Spencers food dept in Marks store in Santa Cruz.:

Yes thats interesting Rose covered cottage , far superior county ( All i know there is not one) back on topic Tenerife may soon have a Primark , and my style is the Lions charity shop :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::flatcap::feret::feret ::feret::feret:
ps will let you know when i move in:wink2:

ameal4two
03-11-2013, 21:06
Just a point,before this goes off track.why not just have the foods that are sold in the Spanish shops ,after all this is Spain .and by the way I am English .

primrose
03-11-2013, 21:44
Just a point,before this goes off track.why not just have the foods that are sold in the Spanish shops ,after all this is Spain .and by the way I am English .

Because you don't know my circumstances and why I have to buy mainly English foods , and if you are looking at it that way why do so many people eat at Indian and Chinese Restaurants why not go to Spanish Restaurants when in Spain.Why do many Spanish shop in Iceland.

ameal4two
03-11-2013, 22:05
My reply was to ,new forest,did he not start the post ?

Tshirt
04-11-2013, 00:58

I take it you've not been to Tenerife before, If you want to eat like you do at home (lots do) then there's plenty of places that cater for that. Can't say I've ever had Bovril on holiday though...:hungry: :pizza:

princessmonika
04-11-2013, 07:27
when in ROME ??????? well each to there own - have a lovely holiday and look forward, to have all your foods again when you get home :dishes::snowflake:newforest

Newforest
04-11-2013, 09:40
I take it you've not been to Tenerife before, If you want to eat like you do at home (lots do) then there's plenty of places that cater for that. Can't say I've ever had Bovril on holiday though...:hungry: :pizza:

Like several posters, you missed the point! I used to live in Tenerife and am returning in December for our twentieth anniversary, wanted the opportunity to stock up on some items which are rather scarce where I live now. I was trying to tap local knowledge about the availability of British foods. We are not self catering and will be eating at Chinese and Spanish restaurants.;)

Tshirt
04-11-2013, 10:36
Like several posters, you missed the point! I used to live in Tenerife and am returning in December for our twentieth anniversary, wanted the opportunity to stock up on some items which are rather scarce where I live now. I was trying to tap local knowledge about the availability of British foods. We are not self catering and will be eating at Chinese and Spanish restaurants.;)

So sorry, I do apologise.

But are you allowed to take food stuffs back into the country when you return home. I thought customs took a dim view of that. Suppose it depends where you live.

Newforest
04-11-2013, 13:47
So sorry, I do apologise.

But are you allowed to take food stuffs back into the country when you return home. I thought customs took a dim view of that. Suppose it depends where you live.

Depends on the size of the airport you return to, ours is small, friendly and laid back. They are only looking for cigarettes and U.S. electrical items! ;)

thesloaneranger
05-11-2013, 23:54
For things like steak and kidney puds/pies, try asking a pub that serves them to order you in an extra box to take home (if they don't make their own of course). Just don't order "mince pies" thinking they have ground beef in them, or you will end up xmas fruity ones lol! ;) x

Newforest
06-11-2013, 11:24
when in ROME ??????? well each to there own - have a lovely holiday and look forward, to have all your foods again when you get home :dishes::snowflake:newforest

Not living at 'home' any more, grown up now, and I don't live where I live for the choice of foods, although they are acceptable.

So, Iceland, Aqualand here I come! :idea:

marbro8
06-11-2013, 19:20
For things like steak and kidney puds/pies, try asking a pub that serves them to order you in an extra box to take home (if they don't make their own of course). Just don't order "mince pies" thinking they have ground beef in them, or you will end up xmas fruity ones lol! ;) xthe swan in los cris have an on site baker, he used to make most of the pies for quite a lot of the bars in south tenerife, desperate dans, taylors lounge etc etc, but he sort of semi retired and just makes a few now, so if anyone wants to order any pies just pop in and see tony and he will sort you out, even making unusual pies;)

Tshirt
06-11-2013, 23:55
As I understand it. the OP is English but doesn't live in the UK and he can't get english food where he lives. He wants to stock up on english food while on holiday to take back home with him. He'll eat whatever while in Tenerife.

marbro8
06-11-2013, 23:58
As I understand it. the OP is English but doesn't live in the UK and he can't get english food where he lives. He wants to stock up on english food while on holiday to take back home with him. He'll eat whatever while in Tenerife.is it rocket science :doh::lol:

Tshirt
07-11-2013, 00:25
It was, it's not now... ;)

Newforest
07-11-2013, 08:31
Couldn't have put it better myself except that British is more accurate being 50% Scottish, thanks!