PDA

View Full Version : I can't cope with my new MP4. Can any forum techies help?

rosemary
04-11-2013, 13:34
I am about to go mad. I thought it would be sooo easy. I am fairly intelligent. Kids can do it. I have a PC. I have a CD collection. I need music and nice big earphones for listening to lovely classical calming music on my frequent flights to and back from UK. So I bought a MP4 player a Zipy Iguana.

I CAN"T PROGRAMME the darned thing. I am having trouble even Ripping my CD's onto the PC.

I have only just discovered windows media music on the PC. Lovely stuff. But I need portable music.

Is there somebody out there who can tell me what to do? Or should I take the thing to an expert? Where? :spin::pray:

Should I have bought something else? I paid 50 euros for it. Don't need to spend more, it's not something I would use all the time.

Fivepence
04-11-2013, 13:47
To put music on your MP4 player, you usually just have to hook it up via USB to your PC. Next, the MP4 player's window should pop on the computer screen. Now, just drag and drop the files onto the player's window. That's it!

rosemary
04-11-2013, 14:10
Aaah Fivepence I wish........but I have no files in the PC yet to drag over and drop. Isn't that the first step? I can't even seem to do that.

:cry: And all I am getting is a Zipy commercial playing on the screen, when I plug in the player via the USB cable, in Spanish of course........

Fivepence
04-11-2013, 14:20
Aaah Fivepence I wish........but I have no files in the PC yet to drag over and drop. Isn't that the first step? I can't even seem to do that.

:cry: And all I am getting is a Zipy commercial playing on the screen, when I plug in the player via the USB cable, in Spanish of course........)

If you have music on other devices Rosemary such as mp3 player or phone, create a new folder on your desktop and transfer your music to it with a usb cable.

There is also lots of info on the internet on how to download and transfer music/videos.

Good luck

You should be able to close the zippy commercial.

rosemary
04-11-2013, 14:50
Fivepence thankyou for your patience. But I have no other devices, no MP3 or phone. Only a cd player and my PC with cd player in it. All the internet sites seem gobbledgook to me. It's a digital language beyond me.:dontknow:

Fivepence
04-11-2013, 15:13
Copy your CD's to a new folder on your desktop and then put them onto your mp4 player.

Medanoman
04-11-2013, 15:34
think she need to rip her cd's to mp3 otherwise they will be wav...

Malteser Monkey
04-11-2013, 15:44
think he need to rip his cd's to mp3 otherwise they will be wav...

He ? Rosemary is a she dear,:D

Addick
04-11-2013, 16:07
I use Windows Media Player (WMP) to get my music onto my MP4 player.

Assuming they haven't changed anything on later versions of WMP as mine is pretty old now, you need to stick yer CD in and click on the 'Rip' tab in the WMP window and it'll usually get all the track info for you. It should start 'ripping' automatically (the first track will have a status bar that'll go up to 100% before doing track 2 etc)

While it's doing it's thing, plug your MP4 player in and close any box that might pop-up to say you've plugged it in.

When the Rip has finished for the last track, the WMP window should go to the 'Synch' tab and that will list all your music on your MP4 player (if you have any). Find the music you have just loaded into the WMP and if it's an album or multiple tracks, click on the first track, hold down the Shift key and click on the last track (to highlight all the tracks to move) and then click on any highlighted track and drag the lot to the right-hand column and click on 'start synch' at the bottom. That will start putting all your tracks onto your MP4 player (should only take a few seconds)

Unplug your MP4 player and check it has worked.

Sounds very long-winded but once you get used to the sequence it's pretty straight-forward. There is no doubt an easier method, but that one works for me!

If it fails, maybe it's because you're trying with classical music - try something decent instead!:rave:

rosemary
04-11-2013, 16:39
Guys I really really appreciate your replies. I have got as far as Ripping the albums I wanted. So for me a major achievment. My problem NOW is that the MP4 player just will not connect to the PC. Maybe it's because it's Spanish and won't talk to my English PC? Or maybe I have not configurated the Player properly.:dontknow:
I now have a headache and will be back to report later.

junglejim
04-11-2013, 20:27
Do you have more than one USB port ? Possibly trying another USB port or checking if another device will link to your PC .
It may be your USB port needs re-installed ?

Look in Control Panel/Hardware and sound/ Device Manager/ Universal Serial Bus Controller if any are disabled then it will be flagged - right click on it and re-install .

rosemary
06-11-2013, 22:01
Well guys I gave up and called in a neighbour, an IT engineer who had a tough time, but he did it after 3 hours. Warning to all. MP4 is more difficult and not always compatible. It helps if you already have a MP3 which I didn't! But he converted my CD's in the end. I hate all this teccie equipment stuff. Technology is getting ridiculous nowadays, so many changes, so fast.

Thanks for all the help.

TOPGUN77
06-11-2013, 23:47
Well i'm 60 and managed to convert files etc and i'm thick lol.I use Ashampoo and you can download it free brilliant bit of software.

timmylish
07-11-2013, 03:15
When you are my age sitting up until 04.00 am just to do what you want on the pc is pretty much par for the course!