PDA

View Full Version : I need advice about moving to Tenerife

danwheatley
21-11-2013, 23:36
Hi all,

My name is Dan, I'm 22 and from England.

This is more of an advice needing topic than an introduction to be fair.

I've visited Tenerife 8 times now, each time staying in Los Cristianos. 6 times on family holidays, 2 times on my own. I write this topic on my last day of this year's visit.

I love the island and I am seriously considering a move here, hopefully within the next year or two. I know it's a big plunge to make, I still live at home and don't pay any bills besides my car & phone so I'm not used to living alone & paying all the bills.

Really I'm looking for some advice on how to approach this, I currently have a full time job that pays roughly £18,000 a year, unfortunately I haven't got a penny saved away at the moment as I'm too busy enjoying life.. but now I want to really get my head down so I can make a move here.

It's hard to talk about this with my family as they seem to think it's a silly idea to move away but, it's my life and I want to be happy.

What sort of job opportunities are available around the island (preferrably south), how is the pay for these jobs, what is a rough estimation for a half decent one bedroom flat per month?

I appreciate any help you guys can give me, thanks.

Tom & Sharon
22-11-2013, 00:16
Dan, you sound like a nice boy. You're a similar age to our 2 boys of 20 and 23.

In a nutshell - there are next to no job opportunities, and anything you can get is likely to be on 5€ an hour with no job security.

Honestly - listen to your mum. Stay in the UK on 18 k, and enjoy your holidays in Tenerife.

danwheatley
22-11-2013, 11:18
Never knew it would be such a bad idea!

Thanks for your advice, after thinking over I think you are right. I'll stick to my holidays for now.

Maybe retire here or another country when I'm older!

Tom & Sharon
22-11-2013, 11:47
Never knew it would be such a bad idea!

Thanks for your advice, after thinking over I think you are right. I'll stick to my holidays for now.

Maybe retire here or another country when I'm older!

Good, I'm glad. It's not really living the dream you know, being a PR outside a bar or some other ****ty low paid job, wondering how you'll pay the rent.

Much better to stay in the UK, earn good money, get a pension and plan for an early retirement. In the meantime, have fab holidays in Tenerife, where you can actually enjoy the best that Tenerife has to offer, with plenty of money in your pocket.

princessmonika
22-11-2013, 19:59
sharon you are so right :cheers2:

TOPGUN77
22-11-2013, 20:25
Staying Los Cristianos will cost around 450-500 for a studio I know a couple of guys who rent in Val San Lorenzo for 280 all bills included.Job vacancies are rare and low paid around 4-5 euro ph for doing pr work so if you can find a job you will have a good life here as its so much cheaper than rip of GB.Why not come out on a 3 month trial if things work out you will have a great life here..
We moved here 6 months ago and never intend going back only you can make that decision.

Tom & Sharon
22-11-2013, 22:17
Staying Los Cristianos will cost around 450-500 for a studio I know a couple of guys who rent in Val San Lorenzo for 280 all bills included.Job vacancies are rare and low paid around 4-5 euro ph for doing pr work so if you can find a job you will have a good life here as its so much cheaper than rip of GB.Why not come out on a 3 month trial if things work out you will have a great life here..
We moved here 6 months ago and never intend going back only you can make that decision.

Top gun, don't be daft. Why would you encourage a young lad of 22 to give up a job on 18k in the UK, to move to Tenerife on 4-5€ an hour? He'd "have a great life"? Seriously? Working on a low wage, no training, no proper job prospects, no job security, no pension plan, probably no legal contract, therefore no social security payments, no doctor, and living in the type of place you can rent for 280€ a month! All for a bit of sunshine?

Conversely, he can stay in the UK, and have all of the above.

What stage of life are you at Topgun? Are you also 22 and trying to make your way in the world?

slodgedad
22-11-2013, 23:00
Totally agree with Sharon. If you don't burn your bridges then give it a go. To give up a decent job to give it a go is madness.
A lot ofthe advice you will get will be from long time residents who actually did this when work was plentiful but now is not.

marbro8
22-11-2013, 23:15
We moved here 6 months ago and never intend going back only you can make that decision.wtf.............:doh:, the kid has got the next 30-40 years to live the dream in tenerife, god knows i have been planing it for the last 10 and i am still no where near, anything could happen in that time frame, i have seen loads of kids that age give their jobs up for a life in the sun and end up 6 months later in a bed sit in the uk on £40 a week:(

slodgedad
22-11-2013, 23:26
wtf.............:doh:, the kid has got the next 30-40 years to live the dream in tenerife, god knows i have been planing it for the last 10 and i am still no where near, anything could happen in that time frame, i have seen loads of kids that age give their jobs up for a life in the sun and end up 6 months later in a bed sit in the uk on £40 a week:(
The point is,Marbs, is he is not just giving up a job but apparently a career job.
If you are doing a 'no future' job then 'YEAH'
But now is not the time to burn bridges for a life in the sun.

marbro8
22-11-2013, 23:41
The point is,Marbs, is he is not just giving up a job but apparently a career job.
If you are doing a 'no future' job then 'YEAH'
But now is not the time to burn bridges for a life in the sun.yes mate you are right, if he was living on the dole in the uk alienated from his friends and family with no prospect of a job then i would say chance it for a few months because there isn't much to lose, but having a job will allow him to climb the ladder and maybe some day he will be able to enjoy the island as some of the more luckier members of the forum;)

Susief
23-11-2013, 00:05

Are you for real TG? Give up a decent job and try his luck in Tenerife?
He wouldn't have friends or family there either? Oh yes he'd have the sunshine?
I have kids his age and would hate to think they would give up jobs to go find the 'dream' in Tenerife!

Angusjim
23-11-2013, 14:07

TG don't know if you have kids, but would you seriously give this advice to your own if so god help them.:spin:

TOPGUN77
23-11-2013, 14:24
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll110/pfc_hudson/HH.gif
I have met quite a few young people over here who have flew there nest and seemed to be doing alright,they seem quite happy in what they have done,as stated in my post asked the OP to come out on a trial basis to see if things work out if not go back home.Even in the UK there is no such thing as job security I got made redundant twice then decided to work for my self,for Christ sake the guy is 22 not 12 years old lol.

Tom & Sharon
23-11-2013, 14:34
I have met quite a few young people over here who have flew there nest and seemed to be doing alright,they seem quite happy in what they have done,as stated in my post asked the OP to come out on a trial basis to see if things work out if not go back home.Even in the UK there is no such thing as job security I got made redundant twice then decided to work for my self,for Christ sake the guy is 22 not 12 years old lol.

So, can you elucidate?

What are these young people doing job wise? How much are they earning? Where do they live? Do they have a contract and social security? What hours do they work? Are they getting any training?

I'm sure the OP would be interested in the finer details......

Pooh
23-11-2013, 14:58
Start your own business in UK. A business you can run via Internet.
Don't give up your job to do it, do it in your spare time, at least until you can live WELL on your business.
Once you have that running and giving a steady income - not from one source, but at least 4-5 COMPLETELY different sources, where ONE is enough to live on - and that that has been stable for 10 years, and you know you can continue to evolve the business and earn a goon income - THEN you can move to Tenerife, and keep running your business from here.
DON'T rely on local income - think Globally and diversify - since local jobs here might be plentiful from time to time, but bad times will ALWAYS come.

danwheatley
23-11-2013, 15:00
thanks for all the reasonable comments, i appreciate the help. not sure where the negativity is coming from though

TOPGUN77
23-11-2013, 15:33
thanks for all the reasonable comments, i appreciate the help. not sure where the negativity is coming from though
It seems a lot of people are negative on here ,I have always been a positive person in life,you only get one chance hence that's why I live here now.Good luck in what ever you do decide.

primrose
23-11-2013, 15:59
It seems a lot of people are negative on here ,I have always been a positive person in life,you only get one chance hence that's why I live here now.Good luck in what ever you do decide.

So why did you wait till you could buy a house and live off your pension,if it's such a good life for young people why did you wait. danwheatly It's not negativity it's reality, what are you qualified to do over here? there are no jobs and if you are very very lucky you might get a job working for 4 or 5 Euros an hour but with no contract, so no Social or medical cover,there might be a cheap apartment you can share in places like Valley San Lorenzo but you will need transport to get to and from work, private medical insurance, rent for an apartment and food and you think you can have a good life and do all that on 4-5 euros an hour. I cannot believe anybody would be so stupid as to advise a young person to come over here when youth unemployment is over 30% and give up a job in England.

mini--c
23-11-2013, 17:49
Hi Dan I too like you am young (23) and interested in doing something the same! Like yourself I have a job mine is very good wages to be fair and very secure but I could take a career break! I have just started to save after living and doing some fantastic things so haven't a whole lot saved! One of my friends is just back from 4 months in gran canaria working and she loved it! She was working 6 days per week tho and coming out with about 360 a week she was doing PR for 2 bars! She works in the same job as me in ireland so working for 360 a week would of been alot less than her wages back home! Not 100% of the hours she was working but think it was mostly late nights. She didn't want to come home as she was having the time of her life but due to work back home she had to! When I was in gran canaria tho I was talking to some of her friends working there too and they said all they do is work drink and sleep which to me would get boring after a few weeks but each to there own! Most worrying tho was they had paid there rent on apartments for 3 months before coming to the island but that was coming to an end and hadn't money there for the next 3 months or even month! Also one of the girls was leaving early she did have 2 jobs again making about 360 a week but she didn't like the PR work and got sick of just drinking sleeping working! If you can take a career break and come back to the jobs in 6 months to a year on the same Money and security give it a go if not I wouldn't.

Tom & Sharon
23-11-2013, 21:45

So, can you elucidate?

What are these young people doing job wise? How much are they earning? Where do they live? Do they have a contract and social security? What hours do they work? Are they getting any training?

I'm sure the OP would be interested in the finer details......

So........I'm still waiting for an answer to the question?

danwheatley
23-11-2013, 22:28
Hi Dan I too like you am young (23) and interested in doing something the same! Like yourself I have a job mine is very good wages to be fair and very secure but I could take a career break! I have just started to save after living and doing some fantastic things so haven't a whole lot saved! One of my friends is just back from 4 months in gran canaria working and she loved it! She was working 6 days per week tho and coming out with about 360 a week she was doing PR for 2 bars! She works in the same job as me in ireland so working for 360 a week would of been alot less than her wages back home! Not 100% of the hours she was working but think it was mostly late nights. She didn't want to come home as she was having the time of her life but due to work back home she had to! When I was in gran canaria tho I was talking to some of her friends working there too and they said all they do is work drink and sleep which to me would get boring after a few weeks but each to there own! Most worrying tho was they had paid there rent on apartments for 3 months before coming to the island but that was coming to an end and hadn't money there for the next 3 months or even month! Also one of the girls was leaving early she did have 2 jobs again making about 360 a week but she didn't like the PR work and got sick of just drinking sleeping working! If you can take a career break and come back to the jobs in 6 months to a year on the same Money and security give it a go if not I wouldn't.

thanks for your reply, means a lot that someone my age appreciates what i'm saying and wants to do something similar.

still giving it heavy thought but looks like tenerife isn't the place to move to, for another few decades or so.

marbro8
23-11-2013, 23:13
thanks for your reply, means a lot that someone my age appreciates what i'm saying and wants to do something similar.

still giving it heavy thought but looks like tenerife isn't the place to move to, for another few decades or so.you know what mate just go for it what the hell!! what's the worst that can happen? ok you give up a good job with prospects so what??? you move out to tenerife and do like mini--c's mates did, work sleep and drink, great, you run out of money after 3 months you can't pay the rent, you move back to the uk and try to get some support from your family, that's if they are still talking to you after advising you not to do it? and you join the dole queue and start over again, but he ho you will have had an adventure even if it did spoil the rest of your life;)

carpenter
23-11-2013, 23:36
Evening all how's things? £18000 in the UK is only an average paid job nowadays but on the reef that's a lot of kahoola.
People of all ages and walks of life fall in love with Tenerife and move there with high hopes and ambitions only to return to the UK a little while later pennyless and without any contacts for work.

So unless this job of yours is a career job then I would go for it if this is what you want. You only live once and it's better to regret something you've done than it is to regret something you haven't. You're early 20's ffs go for it, live it and enjoy it. It sounds like you have a loving family so with that safety net behind you what you waiting for.

PR work is low paid but you do meet some great people and have some great times, it will pay the rent and should come with a basic contract that will entitle you to healthcare and keep the police off your back.

again, depending on where you live £18000 jobs are fairly easy to get in the UK so no you won't be a fool to give it up. just get a written reference from your boss when you do leave. Good luck

YOUNG GOLFER
24-11-2013, 01:53
Your a young man wanting a change ......why not guys..... why wait til your 60 to enjoy life..........carpenter I agree with your post .
Go for it I did and I am 25 years later still here.
And there is no way I am going back because through hard work I have the best of both worlds a great place to live and a growing successful business....and if I want to visit the UK I can and I enjoy my visits back but can wait to get back to home tenerife.
What's the worse thing that can happen you go back after a good few months in tenerife having a laugh and a little fun.
Most members that have replied to your thread are 2/3 times older than you I am 43 go for it have some fun and live a little.
You only have one life and at your age you can afford to take time out ....go for it buddy.

Angusjim
24-11-2013, 09:12
Your a young man wanting a change ......why not guys..... why wait til your 60 to enjoy life..........carpenter I agree with your post .
And there is no way I am going back because through hard work I have the best of both worlds a great place to live and a growing successful business....and if I want to visit the UK I can and I enjoy my visits back but can wait to get back to home tenerife.
What's the worse thing that can happen you go back after a good few months in tenerife having a laugh and a little fun.
Most members that have replied to your thread are 2/3 times older than you I am 43 go for it have some fun and live a little.
You only have one life and at your age you can afford to take time out ....go for it buddy.

YG will be interesting when you kids are a bit older and they come and say to you I want to be a PR in say Thailand,it's easy to dish out advice to someone else's kids if you were saying this to my brood I would nae be happy with you. Times have moved on from 25 years ago and its not quite so easy flitting in and out of jobs when it suit you.

Susief
24-11-2013, 09:39

As usual a good post from you YG. But surely this young man needs money behind him? He's earning £18k a year in UK, still living at home with his parents and has no savings. How's he going to live/pay bills on 5 euro an hour, that's if he can get a job?
If he was my son (24) I would be telling him to start saving and get £5k behind him so that he can get a good foundation.

kathml
24-11-2013, 10:11
I note that Dan says he's earning roughly £18000 a year is that nett or gross and that he pays only his car and phone no other house expenses so that's worth another few thousand a year nett so that would bring his income up well into the £20000+plus a year bracket

If the £18000 is nett that's worth 23/24 thousand gross plus free board and lodgings say 4/5 thousand gross minimum so Dan has an actually income gross of around anything up to £28/29000 a year

amanda
24-11-2013, 10:20
As usual a good post from you YG. But surely this young man needs money behind him? He's earning £18k a year in UK, still living at home with his parents and has no savings. How's he going to live/pay bills on 5 euro an hour, that's if he can get a job?
If he was my son (24) I would be telling him to start saving and get £5k behind him so that he can get a good foundation.

Also very few pr jobs come witha contract, if he falls ill what will he do without health care.

TOTO 99
24-11-2013, 10:48
To be fair to Dan, he's done what I would consider to be the right thing by joining the main forum for Tenerife, asking the questions and has begun to do his homework.

We all have differing views on whether or not he should do it but at least he hasn't just turned up at TFS blind.

From what I can see, he's already said he's re-thinking now on the basis of what he's read here.

What more does everyone want?....

Hopefully Dan you'll keep us informed and post on some of the other threads as well. ...:tiphat:

Tom & Sharon
24-11-2013, 11:37
Everybody's got a good point. It's an "on balance, write down the pros and cons" kind of decision.

The first thing the OP needs to decide, is how easily he could pick up where he left off in the UK. Yes, 18k is not a great wage for the UK, but it's quite decent for someone of 22. Also, exactly what is his job? Is it a run of the mill job, or is it the kind of job that doesn't come along very often? There's still a big difference in employers in the UK. If he's working for a major employer, with good training, fringe benefits, good conditions and a great pension scheme, then he'd be totally mad to give it up to give things a whirl in Tenerife. If he's working for a small firm of say, builders, who could go under any minute, then that's a totally different thing.

YG and Carpenter, you make good points, but YG you arrived in Tenerife at a different time. Times now are not comparable to then, so I don't think that's relevant. Also, again at YG and Carpenter, your children are all young, and YG, yours are bilingual. But I agree with Jim, wait till they're older and tell you they want to go and work in a bar in Thailand. You won't feel the same then, believe me, and their mummies certainly won't! You won't be saying "well if you don't try, you'll never know" then! Not if you don't want to be divorced as well ;)

There are loads of kids Dan's age in Tenerife who were born there, like yours YG. They're bilingual so have the best advantage but a lot still don't have jobs, and the ones that do, a lot of them still just work in bars. Not really something to aspire to in my book at 22, with all the opportunities that exist in the UK.

Dan, it would be great if you keep us posted on your decision, and if you do decide to go for it in Tenerife, update us with your experiences.

danwheatley
24-11-2013, 11:37
To be fair to Dan, he's done what I would consider to be the right thing by joining the main forum for Tenerife, asking the questions and has begun to do his homework.

We all have differing views on whether or not he should do it but at least he hasn't just turned up at TFS blind.

From what I can see, he's already said he's re-thinking now on the basis of what he's read here.

What more does everyone want?....

Hopefully Dan you'll keep us informed and post on some of the other threads as well. ...:tiphat:

I can see lots of people have differing views on here, not what I expected. However some people are making me see sense and realise things that I didn't before.

I'll carry on doing my homework especially over this next year or so. As i'm still living at home I don't have any main expenses so I will start to save now. Maybe someone will come into my life and that'll make me leave it... who knows!!

YOUNG GOLFER
24-11-2013, 14:11
Ok so you decide in two years you want to come and try something new......you said at the moment you spend more or less what money you do have on a good time....nothing wrong with that you are young it's your money do with it what you want. But if you do think of coming over trying a new life then by now you will realise the pay is not great here. If by what you say the money you earn in the UK around 18k then if you save £250 a month times by 24 months then that's a lot of money to come over with £6000 around 7000euros. Now thats the first challenge for you mate to be able to save that amount each month....if you can do that then great. If in that time you have a friend who might want to join you then that's even better. Lots of young guys come over here each year and many go back within a short time. There are also a lot of young folk who have jobs with tour companies here why not look into that do some research and start saving now.

As for my girls if at the age of 24 they decide they want to try something new then who am I to stop we will talk about it as a family and take it from there.
We can't stop young people wanting to try something different and let's remember we are talking about someone 24yrs old not really a child in my eyes....and having been here 8 times already seems to me he might have a little knowledge of tenerife already.
You take your time in deciding what you want to do young man ....but it's your life start saving if you really want to try it what have you to lose.
Your young enough to go back and start again.

Angusjim
24-11-2013, 14:41
It's not a case that you can stop them its about advising & using your experience of life to help guide them and I am sure that you would try and talk them out of doing something you do not agree with, but you are correct they will do what ever they want regardless of what you say, I think the world is a much different place than 25 years ago when you made your move to Tenerife and not for the better . All this advice is being dished out to someone you know nothing about maybe his parents fears about this are based on knowing their son.

Peanuts
24-11-2013, 14:44
In a nutshell, you come over with some savings as YG mentioned and you make it a success ....or you go back to the UK and you got it out of your system and/or you gained some live experiences and at your age that might lead to bigger and better things back in the UK.

primrose
24-11-2013, 14:54
Ok so you decide in two years you want to come and try something new......you said at the moment you spend more or less what money you do have on a good time....nothing wrong with that you are young it's your money do with it what you want. But if you do think of coming over trying a new life then by now you will realise the pay is not great here. If by what you say the money you earn in the UK around 18k then if you save £250 a month times by 24 months then that's a lot of money to come over with £6000 around 7000euros. Now thats the first challenge for you mate to be able to save that amount each month....if you can do that then great. If in that time you have a friend who might want to join you then that's even better. Lots of young guys come over here each year and many go back within a short time. There are also a lot of young folk who have jobs with tour companies here why not look into that do some research and start saving now.

As for my girls if at the age of 24 they decide they want to try something new then who am I to stop we will talk about it as a family and take it from there.
We can't stop young people wanting to try something different and let's remember we are talking about someone 24yrs old not really a child in my eyes....and having been here 8 times already seems to me he might have a little knowledge of tenerife already.
You take your time in deciding what you want to do young man ....but it's your life start saving if you really want to try it what have you to lose.

Ok YG he has been here 8 times but as a holidaymaker which is completely different to living and working here,and as you say if your girls want to try something new would you really after talking it over as a family think it would be a good idea to go and work as a PR cash in hand, no contract, no social, no medical insurance because they certainly wouldn't be able to afford private insurance still think it would be a good idea because danwheatley's family certainly don't.I am really amazed that some members on here are advising him to do it, I have lost count of the people that have had to go back to England with not a penny to their name, family have had to buy them tickets to get home and they hadn't even enough for a bottle of water for the plane. Would you really want your girls to risk their future for that.It doesn't matter how old they are if there are no jobs or very few jobs with a contract it really is a bad idea, why do you think the Red Cross are giving parcels out to needy families because there is no work, and as you know priority is being given to Canarian's that are signed on as unemployed.Dan you sound ike you don't have a bad life in England with a job that you will earn far more than you will here a good home and money to spend, stay there and enjoy your holidays in Tenerife and have the best of both worlds.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Ok YG he has been here 8 times but as a holidaymaker which is completely different to living and working here,and as you say if your girls want to try something new would you really after talking it over as a family think it would be a good idea to go and work as a PR cash in hand, no contract, no social, no medical insurance because they certainly wouldn't be able to afford private insurance still think it would be a good idea because danwheatley's family certainly don't.I am really amazed that some members on here are advising him to do it, I have lost count of the people that have had to go back to England with not a penny to their name, family have had to buy them tickets to get home and they hadn't even enough for a bottle of water for the plane. Would you really want your girls to risk their future for that.It doesn't matter how old they are if there are no jobs or very few jobs with a contract it really is a bad idea, why do you think the Red Cross are giving parcels out to needy families because there is no work, and as you know priority is being given to Canarian's that are signed on as unemployed.Dan you sound ike you don't have a bad life in England with a job that you will earn far more than you will here a good home and money to spend, stay there and enjoy your holidays in Tenerife and have the best of both worlds.

slodgedad
24-11-2013, 15:26
My only point was that to give up a good job to come here on a gamble is not a great idea at the moment.
When I came here 20 years ago it was a lot different. You could pick and chose your work. Not so any more.
Great adventure but think seriously about burning your bridges

YOUNG GOLFER
24-11-2013, 16:00

Most people if not all start as holidaymakers Primrose then decide to make the move......my girls if they decide to want to do the same I and my wife will make sure they have insurance and as parents we will be there to pick up the pieces should it go tits up.....but lets not stop youngsters living life ......

primrose
24-11-2013, 16:18
Most people if not all start as holidaymakers Primrose then decide to make the move......my girls if they decide to want to do the same I and my wife will make sure they have insurance and as parents we will be there to pick up the pieces should it go tits up.....but lets not stop youngsters living life ......

I would say Dan was living a good life at 22 living at home no expenses, no savings so obviously enjoying life over there,18,000 a year a car and Holidays in Tenerife and what is he going to give all that up for, moving to Tenerife on the off chance he could get a job,putting up with the insults every night if he gets a job as a PR hassled by the Police, no spare cash as he will need every penny just to exist just to get a bit of sun and believe me you will soon get sick of that. Now is not the time to come to Tenerife, just go to the Apollo Center next time you are here about 9 o'clock in the morning and look at the hundreds queuing to sign on as unemployed and you will realise the reality of life in Tenerife .

slodgedad
24-11-2013, 16:22
I would say Dan was living a good life at 22 living at home no expenses, no savings so obviously enjoying life over there,18,000 a year a car and Holidays in Tenerife and what is he going to give all that up for, moving to Tenerife on the off chance he could get a job,putting up with the insults every night if he gets a job as a PR hassled by the Police, no spare cash as he will need every penny just to exist just to get a bit of sun and believe me you will soon get sick of that. Now is not the time to come to Tenerife, just go to the Apollo Center next time you are here about 9 o'clock in the morning and look at the hundreds queuing to sign on as unemployed and you will realise the reality of life in Tenerife .

In a nutshell

YOUNG GOLFER
24-11-2013, 17:01

yes you're right a good life dark on the way to work dark at 4 oclock cold .........very cold miserable weather.........you live here I live here why do we live here Primerose for quality of life. I like the pros and cons of this thread. But if I could give any advice simple we don't know what tomorrow brings go out there and see the world it's a big place take a chance and enjoy it.

Angusjim
24-11-2013, 17:16
yes you're right a good life dark on the way to work dark at 4 oclock cold .........very cold miserable weather.........you live here I live here why do we live here Primerose for quality of life. I like the pros and cons of this thread. But if I could give any advice simple we don't know what tomorrow brings go out there and see the world it's a big place take a chance and enjoy it.

Problem is from what I see YG is you are explaining life in Tenerife at the moment from someone who has a good steady income & possibly no money concerns, business thats on the up which is not the norm there at the moment you started 25 years ago different times now, I think a long hard slog ahead before any improvement on the jobs front over there. Primrose is trying to explain to Dan the reality if you come over to probably work as say a PR, sunshine don't pay the bills or feed you.

primrose
24-11-2013, 17:37

You have a Business, we have an income we don't need to scrat around for the next Euro or spend our time going from bar to bar begging for a job, I have seen too many sad stories and people losing everything to know that Tenerife is not Paradise, If you have a good income then yes it can be, but with no job and no money it can be Hell on Earth. I am not saying that young people shouldn't have the chance to travel and see the world, just that it is not the right time to come to Tenerife and the people that are encouraging them to do so are doing them a great disservice filling their head with false illusions, because that's what they are, to tell people to give everything up and enjoy a great life in Tenerife at this moment of time is just madness.The difference with unemployed here with families is there they have help,being here on your own and unemployed is a nightmare, I have lost count of the number of people I have made sandwiches for and given them money to get a bottle of water to take on the plane as they had nothing to eat or drink.If young people think that is having a good quality of life then I say good luck to them. Enjoy.

Tom & Sharon
24-11-2013, 17:38
I don't blame anyone who is young wanting to spread their wings, grow up, gain a little independence from their family, experience new things, different cultures and lifestyles, and maybe, just maybe, put down roots and have a new life.

But is Tenerife in 2013 the place to do it?

My opinion on that question is a resounding no. It's a place where you can come for a season or two, have a bit of fun, maybe earn enough money to pay the rent and eat ( but that's a maybe! ) have a few laughs and beers in the sun. But that's it really, there's nothing more. If that's all you want, then fine. But if you want to go to another country where you stand a real chance of success, of getting a good career, training, job security, contracts of employment, good conditions and a private pension, then go somewhere else. Somewhere such as Australia, New Zealand or Canada.

Ultimately, Tenerife is just a holiday island. It's a backwater. It has no real economy of its own apart from that generated by the tourist trade. It's great if you're retired or have private income. But as a place to start to make your way in the world? Hardly!

Rickiebear
24-11-2013, 17:46
Hi Dan, Tenerife is a great place to live. I only wish I had done it earlier in life, before a wife and family came along. You have two extreme points of view here. So I will add a compromise. Set this idea as a 2/3 year plan. First you need to learn Spanish, so enrol now in some evening classes. Save as much money as you can. Unemployment is very high in Tenerife, your best change is to be self employed. You don't say what you job is, can you convert this into a business idea?

Research this idea well, is there a market for a new/fresh idea in Tenerife, either for expats or tourists. What might people miss from home?

You will need about a years living expenses up front, so start saving.

Good luck.

TOPGUN77
24-11-2013, 18:08
Looks like I'm not the only STUPID person on here giving out advice???.As Carpenter stated £18k is not a decent wage,i was earning circa £45k as a self employed Electrician.Firstly the OP would need some money behind him, to come out here with nothing is pure madness at least he then can experience what it will be like and live of his savings,if no job materialises at least he can go back to the UK.
We where at the Stage Door club last night got talking to a a young lady sitting next to us,she is 24 came over here 2 weeks ago had 2 job interviews with no luck,at least she came over with enough money to last her through to March,but this hasn't deterred her from giving up.I just wish I came out here at a younger age,but at least I am enjoying what time I have got left and would encourage any one to give it a go,some people are lucky who I have met over here,some not so fortunate.Life is a gamble so just go for it.

Tom & Sharon
24-11-2013, 19:33
My thoughts and opinions aren't just based on my 50 yr old experiences and position in life though. A middle aged, financially comfortable head.

When our youngest son Josh finished school at 16 in England, he didn't get great results. He didn't know what he wanted to do with his life, was disenchanted with school, had a few dubious friends. All normal stuff for his age.

We brought him to Tenerife and enrolled him in Britannia School in Los Cris ( it's not there now ). He re- did his final year of his GCSE's. He made lots of friends, improved on all his grades, and focused his thoughts on his future. He enjoyed living in Tenerife for that time, improved on all his grades in school, and did the mad PDLA clubs thing every weekend with his friends. These were a mixture of kids who were born in Tenerife, or who had moved to the island with their parents. Some were half English/half Spanish, and most bilingual.

During this time, he decided he wanted to join the Royal Navy. He buckled down at school, applied and passed everything he needed to both academically and physically to enter the Royal Navy. But there was a 3 to 4 yr wait for entry.

He needed a job to fill this gap. He applied to Iceland in Las Chafiras, and was offered a job. Now these are generally thought of to be one of the better employers on Tenerife. They did give him a contract, and he started his first ever job. He was a school leaver which obviously they knew. However, they gave him no training, unless you consider a typed "do's and dont's" list to be training. Treated him like crap, and after 3 weeks they sacked him. Just like that. They said he didn't work quickly enough! A school leaver with no training? Would that happen in Asda? No! Then they tried to do him on the wages they owed him. And that's one of the better class of employers on Tenerife! No training, no security, no certainty you'll be paid properly, 3 weeks and you're out on your ear! And this is a boy who was good enough to pass selection for the Royal Navy, but not good enough to stack shelves in Iceland in Tenerife? But it's typical of Tenerife employers mentality. Treat people like ****, because there's always someone else waiting to take their place.

Josh decided he wanted to get some proper training, and a proper job to tide him over until his entry to the Navy. But nothing like that exists in Tenerife. He wanted to return to the UK.

This he did. He came back, got a Govt. apprenticeship in customer service. They trained him properly, put him through an NVQ and several other certificates, and found him a job with Vodafone UK. They even took him to the Interview! He flourished again at Vodafone. The boy who Iceland couldn't be arsed to train, became very quickly a highly valued member of the customer service team. So much so, that when he eventually left to take up his place with the Royal Navy, they told him there would always be a job there for him.

Josh is now nearly 21, so a similar age to that of the OP - 22. He is a Naval Airman in the Royal Navy. He is getting great training, probably the best in the world. And he will see the world at the same time. A proper career, proper training, qualifications, and a chance to see the world. And as an aside, the boy who Iceland Tenerife said couldn't work fast enough, was the fastest out of every recruit on the assault course :)

So what does our nearly 21 yr old think of Tenerife after living there for 2 years? He thinks it's OK for a free holiday, but that's it. He actually normally refers to it as a ****hole little island. Now we obviously don't think that, but he's a youngster who's had good experience of it. If you told him it was another 22 year old's dream life, he'd laugh his head off.

He still keeps in touch with all his old friends from Tenerife, and still sees them when he comes on holiday. So what of them? A lot have gone back to the UK, either with parents who returned, or of their own volition, because they know there's nothing for them in Tenerife. One has joined the British army, and the rest either work in bars or have no jobs. And these are kids who are bilingual.

So is Tenerife a great place to make your life in, aged 22 in 2013? Only the OP can decide.

slodgedad
24-11-2013, 22:08
My thoughts and opinions aren't just based on my 50 yr old experiences and position in life though. A middle aged, financially comfortable head.

When our youngest son Josh finished school at 16 in England, he didn't get great results. He didn't know what he wanted to do with his life, was disenchanted with school, had a few dubious friends. All normal stuff for his age.

We brought him to Tenerife and enrolled him in Britannia School in Los Cris ( it's not there now ). He re- did his final year of his GCSE's. He made lots of friends, improved on all his grades, and focused his thoughts on his future. He enjoyed living in Tenerife for that time, improved on all his grades in school, and did the mad PDLA clubs thing every weekend with his friends. These were a mixture of kids who were born in Tenerife, or who had moved to the island with their parents. Some were half English/half Spanish, and most bilingual.

During this time, he decided he wanted to join the Royal Navy. He buckled down at school, applied and passed everything he needed to both academically and physically to enter the Royal Navy. But there was a 3 to 4 yr wait for entry.

He needed a job to fill this gap. He applied to Iceland in Las Chafiras, and was offered a job. Now these are generally thought of to be one of the better employers on Tenerife. They did give him a contract, and he started his first ever job. He was a school leaver which obviously they knew. However, they gave him no training, unless you consider a typed "do's and dont's" list to be training. Treated him like crap, and after 3 weeks they sacked him. Just like that. They said he didn't work quickly enough! A school leaver with no training? Would that happen in Asda? No! Then they tried to do him on the wages they owed him. And that's one of the better class of employers on Tenerife! No training, no security, no certainty you'll be paid properly, 3 weeks and you're out on your ear! And this is a boy who was good enough to pass selection for the Royal Navy, but not good enough to stack shelves in Iceland in Tenerife? But it's typical of Tenerife employers mentality. Treat people like ****, because there's always someone else waiting to take their place.

Josh decided he wanted to get some proper training, and a proper job to tide him over until his entry to the Navy. But nothing like that exists in Tenerife. He wanted to return to the UK.

This he did. He came back, got a Govt. apprenticeship in customer service. They trained him properly, put him through an NVQ and several other certificates, and found him a job with Vodafone UK. They even took him to the Interview! He flourished again at Vodafone. The boy who Iceland couldn't be arsed to train, became very quickly a highly valued member of the customer service team. So much so, that when he eventually left to take up his place with the Royal Navy, they told him there would always be a job there for him.

Josh is now nearly 21, so a similar age to that of the OP - 22. He is a Naval Airman in the Royal Navy. He is getting great training, probably the best in the world. And he will see the world at the same time. A proper career, proper training, qualifications, and a chance to see the world. And as an aside, the boy who Iceland Tenerife said couldn't work fast enough, was the fastest out of every recruit on the assault course :)

So what does our nearly 21 yr old think of Tenerife after living there for 2 years? He thinks it's OK for a free holiday, but that's it. He actually normally refers to it as a ****hole little island. Now we obviously don't think that, but he's a youngster who's had good experience of it. If you told him it was another 22 year old's dream life, he'd laugh his head off.

He still keeps in touch with all his old friends from Tenerife, and still sees them when he comes on holiday. So what of them? A lot have gone back to the UK, either with parents who returned, or of their own volition, because they know there's nothing for them in Tenerife. One has joined the British army, and the rest either work in bars or have no jobs. And these are kids who are bilingual.

So is Tenerife a great place to make your life in, aged 22 in 2013? Only the OP can decide.
Thanks, Sharon. Nail on head yet again..:bowdown:

danwheatley
25-11-2013, 00:21
I think for me it's just the fact that since the age of 11 I've been visiting and it just became a dream for me to move there.

I always enjoy going to Tenerife that's especially why I've been on holidays there twice on my own (some people think I'm mad)

I'll get my head down with work (car production job for all those asking, can't be turned into a business).. and I'll see where these next few years take me.

It's not a decision I was going to make in a split second, I won't just drop things and go. I'll make sensible decisions and have a structured plan.

Thanks all

YOUNG GOLFER
25-11-2013, 00:25

A **** hole little island now that's not right Sharon....not from someone who has no idea of what life is about.

Problem is from what I see YG is you are explaining life in Tenerife at the moment from someone who has a good steady income & possibly no money concerns, business thats on the up which is not the norm there at the moment you started 25 years ago different times now, I think a long hard slog ahead before any improvement on the jobs front over there. Primrose is trying to explain to Dan the reality if you come over to probably work as say a PR, sunshine don't pay the bills or feed you.
Yes your right someone who now has a good steady income now......but I am talking about a young man wanting a change of life something different......and why not he is young and wants to see a different life even if its for a short time.

I think for me it's just the fact that since the age of 11 I've been visiting and it just became a dream for me to move there.

I always enjoy going to Tenerife that's especially why I've been on holidays there twice on my own (some people think I'm mad)

I'll get my head down with work (car production job for all those asking, can't be turned into a business).. and I'll see where these next few years take me.

It's not a decision I was going to make in a split second, I won't just drop things and go. I'll make sensible decisions and have a structured plan.

Thanks all

You sound like you have your head screwed on mate.....just take your time there is no rush.

Tom & Sharon
25-11-2013, 11:11
Yes YG, it sounds harsh I know. Obviously we don't think that, but we're 50

I was trying to make the point that "familiarity breeds contempt". It's the point of view of someone the same age as the OP, not 60, 50 or 43 ! It's hardly likely that someone of 22 is going to be bowled over by the scenery, Teide's rock formations or Canarian dancing is it?

All there is for them in reality is the beach and a lot of bars. You soon tire of that ( especially if you stand outside one all day! ) So you've got to weigh up whether or not it's worth it, for something that in all likelihood you'll get sick of.

bonitatime
25-11-2013, 15:18
YG will be interesting when you kids are a bit older and they come and say to you I want to be a PR in say Thailand,it's easy to dish out advice to someone else's kids if you were saying this to my brood I would nae be happy with you. Times have moved on from 25 years ago and its not quite so easy flitting in and out of jobs when it suit you.

I have children that age (not goats ). I actually tried encouraging the eldest to go to china to teach EFL
I would say to almost anyone go for it. My only worry is families with children. Tenerife is the most awesome place to live, the weather is great. The Canarian people have a smashing outlook on life and you can live well on not a lot.
That said, save some money, learn Spanish as that's how jobs can be found. If you have a trade look at getting your qualifications convalidated and be prepared to work hard. Immigrants world wide need to work harder to get by.
If it doesn't work out you can always go home.

kathml
25-11-2013, 16:35
Tenerife is a great place to live in its a hopeless place to look for a career in the future Young canarians have to leave to have a worthwhile career How many graduates manage to get a worthwhile job on Island maybe a dozen

Emigration has become a major industry and as long as economy relies on tourism that's the way it's going to stay

So if you're young and looking for a future career don't come to Tenerife if you want some time out that's fine but a career no

danwheatley
25-11-2013, 16:40
Tenerife is a great place to live in its a hopeless place to look for a career in the future Young canarians have to leave to have a worthwhile career How many graduates manage to get a worthwhile job on Island maybe a dozen

Emigration has become a major industry and as long as economy relies on tourism that's the way it's going to stay

So if you're young and looking for a future career don't come to Tenerife if you want some time out that's fine but a career no

Thanks for your reply.

Angusjim
25-11-2013, 17:22
I have children that age (not goats ). I actually tried encouraging the eldest to go to china to teach EFL
I would say to almost anyone go for it. My only worry is families with children. Tenerife is the most awesome place to live, the weather is great. The Canarian people have a smashing outlook on life and you can live well on not a lot.
That said, save some money, learn Spanish as that's how jobs can be found. If you have a trade look at getting your qualifications convalidated and be prepared to work hard. Immigrants world wide need to work harder to get by.
If it doesn't work out you can always go home.

Can you list the types of jobs with a proper contract and any that are currently available that you think Dan would any chance of getting other than being a PR in Tenerife. How many locals apply for each and every job that comes up 30, 40, 50 >>>> ?

Tom & Sharon
25-11-2013, 19:58
Can you list the types of jobs with a proper contract and any that are currently available that you think Dan would any chance of getting other than being a PR in Tenerife. How many locals apply for each and every job that comes up 30, 40, 50 >>>> ?

I'm still waiting for an answer from Topgun from post #15 re: his comments in #14 Jim!

bonitatime
25-11-2013, 20:03

That would depend on what he speaks? As i say he should learn Spanish. Waiter, chef, valet, recepcionist, asistant in an Assessor office, Shop assistant, would you like to see the Adverts? Any Spanish paper, various online Spanish websites.

Tom & Sharon
25-11-2013, 23:31
That would depend on what he speaks? As i say he should learn Spanish. Waiter, chef, valet, recepcionist, asistant in an Assessor office, Shop assistant, would you like to see the Adverts? Any Spanish paper, various online Spanish websites.

So which language do the 50% of unemployed young Canarians speak then?

By the time he's saved up all the money he's been told he needs, then spent about 5 yrs learning Spanish to a level where he may be lucky enough to get a low paid job, he'll be married with 3 kids anyway!

YOUNG GOLFER
26-11-2013, 00:36
Dan next time you are over come and look me up will have a chat and a coffee and introduce you to a good few people who have done well for themselves and can help give you some advice.
Nothing to lose and a free coffee lol

KirstyJay
26-11-2013, 02:16
So which language do the 50% of unemployed young Canarians speak then?
Most speak only Spanish, when usually 2 or 3 languages are required for a lot of the jobs mentioned. English, Spanish and Russian are the most in demand these days.

Angusjim
26-11-2013, 07:49

So why is unemployment so high if there are so many opportunities what is the current unemployment in Tenerife ? Is there not a policy to offer jobs as a priority to locals ?

Dan next time you are over come and look me up will have a chat and a coffee and introduce you to a good few people who have done well for themselves and can help give you some advice.

You need to wise up and stop filling his head with nonsense. You can maybe also introduce him to the many many Canarians that are currently in a desperate state just to give him a balanced view of life in the promised land.

Susief
26-11-2013, 09:15

YG you could introduce him to the Canarian family that were poverty stricken and hardly any food to feed their kids?

Sundowner
26-11-2013, 12:13
Hi Dan,

Save some money and learn Spanish and Russian.......then ask Young Golfer for a job as a trainee estate agent.....sorted!

bonitatime
26-11-2013, 16:07
Most speak only Spanish, when usually 2 or 3 languages are required for a lot of the jobs mentioned. English, Spanish and Russian are the most in demand these days.

They also failed to finish with an age 16 high school qualification because jobs in construction paid well or life seemed to easy to work hard at school
None of my children's friends are out of work permanently because they worked hard at school and came out with languages and qualifications

bonitatime
26-11-2013, 16:16
So why is unemployment so high if there are so many opportunities what is the current unemployment in Tenerife ? Is there not a policy to offer jobs as a priority to locals ?

You need to wise up and stop filling his head with nonsense. You can maybe also introduce him to the many many Canarians that are currently in a desperate state just to give him a balanced view of life in the promised land.
Neither Kirsty nor YG nor I have told these lads the streets are paved with gold
All three of us came young and worked hard. And still work hard. We may not be rich but we don't go to work in the dark and come home in the dark . Our children grow or grew up without fear of their mobiles being stolen, integrated in a great community. With good schools and a medical service which doesn't leave old people dying in corridors. Don't judge my life without walking in my shoes
Not sure what your knowledge of Tenerife is in general as somewhere you talk about a business in the UK. The island is a very different and going through hard times but if these lads take the time to prepare they have a chance to have a good life here.
And as for the person who in another thread described integrating into the Spanish community as perverse- I think it's perverse to move abroad as an immigrant and not integrate. That's what ghetto living consists of. The ghetto is just on a golf course

kiwiphil
26-11-2013, 18:27
Thanks for your reply.

There's another option no one talks about. I am mid 40s, so not the same age as you, but I was a beach / ski beach bum for a good few years.

I got myself into a career and took my "career break" from 27-30. You will have a bit on money behind you, you will know that at any time you can go back to your career etc.

It will allow you to enjoy it so much more than everyone who has no career to go back to. And maybe with the experience of a career you find a niche business idea.

And now I have managed to create a job that allows me to spend 3/4 of my time in Tenerife, so the options are definitely not just work as a PR or retire in order to live here.

YOUNG GOLFER
26-11-2013, 22:02
Neither Kirsty nor YG nor I have told these lads the streets are paved with gold
All three of us came young and worked hard. And still work hard. We may not be rich but we don't go to work in the dark and come home in the dark . Our children grow or grew up without fear of their mobiles being stolen, integrated in a great community. With good schools and a medical service which doesn't leave old people dying in corridors. Don't judge my life without walking in my shoes
Not sure what your knowledge of Tenerife is in general as somewhere you talk about a business in the UK. The island is a very different and going through hard times but if these lads take the time to prepare they have a chance to have a good life here.
And as for the person who in another thread described integrating into the Spanish community as perverse- I think it's perverse to move abroad as an immigrant and not integrate. That's what ghetto living consists of. The ghetto is just on a golf course
Your right we might not be rich in money but not many have had the life experience we have had when it comes to Tenerife. But saying that I know for certain after being here for a long time I would never ever earn the money I do here if I went back.
Hard work has put us where we are right now and on top of that we all speak the lingo very well and I am sure that's due to the fact we have made the effort to mix in.

nigelr
20-01-2014, 14:28
Hi Dan, I'm much older than you and I am looking to move to Tenerife - it has been my dream for a couple of years.
I would love to fly out tomorrow but I won't, here's where I am now:
1. Saving money so I can survive for at least a year on the Island as I don't expect to find work easily.
2. Learning Spanish because this just levels the playing field a little bit. Without Spanish I wouldn't arrive on the Island and expect to find work.
3. I'm re-training to a job that I can do from anywhere so I can start my own business.

Yes you should live your dreams and like somebody else already said you don't know what's around the next corner so go for it. But go for it in a structured way because if you are not realistic then you will end up in a very bad place with no money no work and no real life.

Just because you work in the car industry now doesn't mean you need to do that forever. Think of something that you can learn and bring to the Island with you. If you work hard now then you can have a great life, but if you arrive on the Island unprepared then you will end up another casualty like the others have mentioned.

Set yourself a goal, 1-2-3 years and then go for it.

Good luck!

hannah_louise
20-01-2014, 16:07
Hi Dan.

Im 21 also from england and Im having the same problems! ha

I am planning to go the end of May and have yet to find a place to rent. Have gone through a number of websites the best results I have had so far is emailing the following;
info@tenerifeislandrentals.com

Was going to set something up for the first couple of months then try and move some where cheaper whilst I am out there. Same with finding a job think it is alot harder to do online.

Was going to go and hope for the best- worst case senario you come home! :)

Hannah

9PLUS
03-02-2014, 23:49
Dans Bar sounds so good...............dunnit

X