PDA

View Full Version : Other Beware of Romanians selling perfume...

Saltnpepper
22-11-2013, 00:05
A Spanish neighbour of ours came round today to warn us about a group of Rumanians going round ostensibly selling perfume & on no account to sniff it as it puts you to sleep then these people rob your house. He actually heard this from the police. These scum of the earth were apparently in Granadilla yesterday! I can't believe this kind of thing is happening so near to us, what's the world coming to ... please watch out everyone

doreen
22-11-2013, 00:34
I think the message should be - do not open your door to anyone you do not know. I am sure your neighbour is well meaning but ...this report seems to be a variant of an urban myth http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/perfume.asp

QUOTE: This legend doesn't even describe a plausible scenario because, despite what books and TV shows may depict, rendering a person unconscious from a mere sniff or two of some substance is not easy to do. Ether is nasty, volatile stuff that requires a great deal more than a few brief inhalations to knock a person out. In fact, it's hard to think of any substance that could produce the instant unconsciousness described here.

amanda
22-11-2013, 09:24
Urban myth no this was also happening a few years ago here so take heed and be careful

CIM
25-11-2013, 02:09
Its not true - thankfully.
The dosage require to render a person unconscious can vary considerably depending on their age, build and weight. Inhaling a substance which would render you unconscious would be incredibly dangerous - it basically means you would be in a coma. In almost all cases the dosage would be either side of that required for unconsciousness. Too little and it would make you drowsy/irritable/sick, too much and you could suffer permanent paralysis, brain damage or death. So if this were really happening, people would be dying - and they´re not....

Saltnpepper
25-11-2013, 10:07
Well, that's a relief to know anyway. Thanks everyone