PDA

View Full Version : Other Why do you choose to holiday in Tenerife?

Angusjim
24-11-2013, 10:44
Well for me its simples

Winter Sun
Only 4.5hrs from Uk with plenty reasonable priced flights
Decent night life but a bit boring after a while
Decent choice of restaurants
Some nice places to visit

Would I visit if it was not for the sun the answer would have to be NO its ALL about the winter sun, relaxation & easy access to the island whats your thoughts

TOTO 99
24-11-2013, 11:04
Sun Sun Sun.......in that order...:laugh:

I'm a real sunbather.

I switch off when I'm in the sun. I never get to spend time in it at home so I escape to Tenerife.

I have a lot of older friends in Tenerife, some of whom are now having to consider selling up, or travelling a lot less because of their age. I really feel for them.

Sooner or later it will come to all of us so I get over as often as I can...:sunburn:

I know where everything is. Doctor, police etc. so I'm relaxed from start to finish.

karinagal
24-11-2013, 11:08
My wee pad in Tenerife is my bolt hole - it's my home from home, my 'happy' place. As soon as I step ON the plane, I can feel myself relax (and this has nothing to do with alcohol - I'm always driving when I land!). No matter what the weather is doing, I love sitting on my terrace reading a book. I have good friends there so even if I'm holidaying alone I'm never lonely. Plus the complex cats who come to visit me - although I strongly suspect they are only there for the food....! ;) :p :D

Peterrayner
24-11-2013, 11:25
Sun
Ease of Access
Eating Outdoors
Wine @ 1.50E a bottle

macdonald5
24-11-2013, 11:38
:agree::agree::agree::agree:
Think it's all been said !! x

Tshirt
24-11-2013, 13:26
'Cos I can.

Been gong there on and off for the last 20+ years but now as you get older and not as active it's a case of doing it while you still can. Plus we love it.

melm
24-11-2013, 13:32
'Cos I can.

Been gong there on and off for the last 20+ years but now as you get older and not as active it's a case of doing it while you still can. Plus we love it.

SNAP:sunshine:

trevorife2
24-11-2013, 13:40
Been going to tfs every year for 12 years and i have made great friends .. I love the place .. We go to other places ( majorca / ibiza etc etc ) but tenerife is the place i always come back to .. And one day i plan to buy a little place as i belive ive found my second home !!! ( i also enjoy the alhambra lol )

lee c
24-11-2013, 15:29
Hello, this is my first post on this forum, but ive been looking at it for a couple of years.
I have been going to Tenerife every year for about 13 years, I have 3 children, 17, 15 and 7 and we have always loved going, for the last 5 years we have stayed at the Gran Oasis hotel for 2 weeks every july/august. That hotel is already fully booked for next year so we have spent some time searching and have just booked 2 weeks at the hotel Isa Bel for next year, as with every year we cant wait.

Lee

slodgedad
24-11-2013, 15:34
Hello, this is my first post on this forum, but ive been looking at it for a couple of years.
I have been going to Tenerife every year for about 13 years, I have 3 children, 17, 15 and 7 and we have always loved going, for the last 5 years we have stayed at the Gran Oasis hotel for 2 weeks every july/august. That hotel is already fully booked for next year so we have spent some time searching and have just booked 2 weeks at the hotel Isa Bel for next year, as with every year we cant wait.

Lee
:welcome: to the Forum, Lee

marbro8
24-11-2013, 15:55
we first visited about 9 years ago, before that we holidayed mainly in cyprus but after spending 2 weeks and £1,500 in aiya napa in may 2005 and then £700 in 2 weeks in las americas in october it made us sit up and take stock, we could holiday in the sun with a fantastic choice of restaurants and a better choice of beers for half the price???, and we have been coming twice a year ever since, bringing with us family on occasions,we also know where everything is and the complex we stay on is well run, quiet and has a wealth of good bars and restaurants within a few mins walk, we love the friendly atmosphere and the genuine welcome we get every time we return, and we have made some really good friends which we look forward to seeing every year, and add the fact that you know that if you where in trouble there is always someone within a tap of a keyboard or a phone call away that would help you

libbyb
24-11-2013, 19:51
The weather is the main reason for holidays in Tenerife plus good quality accommodation, lovely sea front, very good choice of restaurants and good choice of flights from Manchester and good bus service in Tenerife

primrose
24-11-2013, 20:08
Having read through this thread nobody has said they actually come to Tenerife for the Scenery,the Canarian people, or the way of life or their customs.It's all about Sun, Beer,Nightlife, Restaurants,Entertainment so really it could be anywhere in the World as long as it has the aforementioned things. so it could be any lump of rock anywhere.

Malteser Monkey
24-11-2013, 20:20
Having read through this thread nobody has said they actually come to Tenerife for the Scenery,the Canarian people, or the way of life or their customs.It's all about Sun, Beer,Nightlife, Restaurants,Entertainment so really it could be anywhere in the World as long as it has the aforementioned things. so it could be any lump of rock anywhere.

I couldn't agree more tho I haven't read any posts - for me it exactly how you said - but then it was my home for 10 years but I look for anything I can't get here

amanda
24-11-2013, 20:45
Well written I totally agree with you

macdonald5
24-11-2013, 21:01
Whilst I agree where you are coming from primrose have to say we love going out of the tourist resorts and seeing the 'real' Tenerife but recent years villages like Cabo Blanco ,Valle San Lonenzo and La Camella where we liked to visit local type restaurants have gone dead We still spend over £10.000 a year visiting Tenerife so do have a real interest in the island and hate to see it going down . Weather there for us sun starved Brits has to be a big plus ,the friendly locals ,varied meals out and good if cheap (to us) vinos is a bonus.
Like to feel we are helping the economy of a visitor welcomed Island

tub
24-11-2013, 21:04
we come twice a year for the sun and to be with like minded people who like to just take it easy

Angusjim
25-11-2013, 07:57

Spot on and that's exactly what MOST people think & come for including me it could be any lump of rock anywhere as long as it meets my requirements, if I want scenery I stay in one of the most beautiful countries in the world and can drive 20 to see some of it. Its all about the climate because we stay in a country that has very cold winters minus 4 this morning but I look forward to my 1st winter week in Tenerife next week

Skeggy
25-11-2013, 08:38

We do Primrose, Last year we spent two months in Santa Cruz and really enjoy the traditional Canarian atmosphere with all kinds of events in the park and in La Laguna. The great bus service that enables us to visit the Anaga with its great villages like Taganana, Arfur and Chinamada all discovered by walking with people of a like mind, And what could be better than to spend an evening at the Auditorio listening to the wonderful Tenerife Symphony Orchestra. There is so much to do, and it's not all in the South of the Island.

Angusjim
25-11-2013, 09:16
We do Primrose, Last year we spent two months in Santa Cruz and really enjoy the traditional Canarian atmosphere with all kinds of events in the park and in La Laguna. The great bus service that enables us to visit the Anaga with its great villages like Taganana, Arfur and Chinamada all discovered by walking with people of a like mind, And what could be better than to spend an evening at the Auditorio listening to the wonderful Tenerife Symphony Orchestra. There is so much to do, and it's not all in the South of the Island.

Good on you Skeggy for going out and about in Tenerife to sample its hidden delights I must admit I am VERY lazy when over there and have seen nothing but the tourist spots but would you even be in Tenerife if its climate was similar to UK?
Many Ex Pats who lecture us on here about seeing the hidden Tenerife have probably not even ventured out to see what was on offer in the UK when they stayed there and I personally have seen only a fraction of what's on offer in Scotland to my eternal shame:ashamed:

TOTO 99
25-11-2013, 09:42
Spot on AJ..

I too am absolutely bone idle when I go to Tenerife. Horses for courses.

There's nothing wrong with either. It depends on many factors including how hard you work in the UK.

I'm married to my business when I'm home. I don't want to be action man when I'm on holiday. I don't knock anybody who does though.

I've got friends who prefer jungle or Arctic holidays.......not for me I'm afraid but it's their holiday, I'm not paying for it (thank god).....lol

I put enough in at this end to ensure I don't feel guilty about sunbeds or Dorada....We're all different.

Skeggy
25-11-2013, 10:16
You are both quite right, Holidays are different things to different people, it would'nt be good for us all to be the same. Should have been leaving tomorrow for another session but unfortunately have had to cancel due to unforeseen hospital appointments.

Saltnpepper
25-11-2013, 10:26
True Toto99, we're all different but I do agree with Primrose that it's a shame more people don't appear to come here for the beautiful scenery, extremely good Canarian food & to sample the Canarian customs & way of life as there's so much to enjoy on this island. I think we've seen quite a lot of the island ourselves but I'm sure there are still some lovely places we've not discovered yet. Good on you Skeggy for doing so (& hope you manage to get out here soon, good luck with your hospital appts). Macdonald5 - there are still some good value restaurants around Valle San Lorenzo (Paraiso, Cruz de Guanche, Meson Era Las Mozas, Dolcetto, La Centinela ...) and La Camella (Biblioteca, El Lajar de Bello ...) & why not try San Miguel for a change - La Tasquita de Nino, 4 Esquinas, La Pimienta Verde & El Portillo are all excellent. :)

Angusjim
25-11-2013, 10:44
True Toto99, we're all different but I do agree with Primrose that it's a shame more people don't appear to come here for the beautiful scenery, extremely good Canarian food & to sample the Canarian customs & way of life as there's so much to enjoy on this island. I think we've seen quite a lot of the island ourselves but I'm sure there are still some lovely places we've not discovered yet. Good on you Skeggy for doing so (& hope you manage to get out here soon, good luck with your hospital appts). Macdonald5 - there are still some good value restaurants around Valle San Lorenzo (Paraiso, Cruz de Guanche, Meson Era Las Mozas, Dolcetto, La Centinela ...) and La Camella (Biblioteca, El Lajar de Bello ...) & why not try San Miguel for a change - La Tasquita de Nino, 4 Esquinas, La Pimienta Verde & El Portillo are all excellent. :)

Do the Canarian tourist board do enough to get the message across to attract the type of holidaymakers you mention? 99% of the people I know who go to Tenerife go for weather / nightlife at a reasonable cost but there is room in Tenerife for all types of holidaymakers from the likes of TOTO & myself who are in the vast majority to people like Skeggy who like to do the cultural thing.We all spend money that is much needed on the island the dream of this becoming a 5 star island will never happen better they concentrate in attracting a wide spectrum of people who will come over for differing reasons.

Jumpinjax
25-11-2013, 11:13
My wife & I try to get over a couple of times a year, in winter generally. I like to play a few games of golf when in Tenerife ,whilst my wife will take time to read & relax while I am on the course.

Every time we visit , we say to each other "lets hire a car and take a look around , off the beaten track. This never happens because we always end up too relaxed to bother.

Holidays are what individuals make of them , whether you like escaping to the hills , indulging in the culture or just sipping a drink & people watching , holidays are what you want them to be.

I cannot not think of a better place to spend my "hard earned" than on the wonderful island of Tenerife.

Jabba43
25-11-2013, 19:46
The warmest place in Europe, we'll it is Africa geographically but culturally Spanish with some tacky resort stuff thrown into the mix.

The primary reason is the weather for me, I like and respect Spanish culture, beautiful scenery from my terrace to the sea and mountain. Additionally, 4 hour flights, 1 euro pints, seafood, trips to the volcano and Santa Cruz.

In general it has something for everyone, if you like unpretentious resorts it is for you. If you do not like to see your countrymen the you can disappear to the north. All in all the south is just an easy life with familiar stuff to make any Northern European at home.

melm
25-11-2013, 20:05
Puerto de la Cruz is the place we holiday in when we visit Tenerife. Have been coming since the late 1980's .......I wish I had kept a diary. In these early days we hired a car and really explored the Island and what a beautiful Island it is. Lots more people live there now and there are many more cars on the roads. Big changes. Like to think we have seen a lot of Tenerife over the years and sampled some of their culture. Now if we want to visit someplace we take the bus but not too often as we now just have a relaxing lazy time in Puerto.

We visit the few British bars that are left and eat in lots of Spanish restaurants.

If I need more culture and scenery I will do this in my beautiful home country. Still got lots to see here.

Have been to Puerto so many times over the years we feel at home,suits us for a winter holiday.

warbey
25-11-2013, 22:21
I visit because it's Home to Me..

I enjoy most of it for the last 20 or so Years.

I sometimes regret seeing People Leaving but that's life..

I am always liooking forwards to My NEXT visit..

It's lovely knowing Your way around, then discovering new Places to explore
that's My relaxation too.

libbyb
25-11-2013, 22:23
Yes Primrose I agree, and I do love the scenery in Tenerife and have enjoyed several trips inland and towards the North, all very interesting and scenic. Grenadilla, Puerto cruz and mount Teide all lovely.. I must admit I do not know much about Canarian people and their customs but will endeavour to read up on this thanks.

dc52
26-11-2013, 20:53
Like everyone else it's mostly the weather. But why Tenerife rather than any of the other islands? We've tried Lanzarote and Gran-Canaria but prefer Tenerife.
For us it's the music at night. great bands!!

Susief
26-11-2013, 21:09
We love coming out to Camping Nauta where our static caravan is sited. It's our little bit of paradise! We try to get out every 2-3 months!

marbro8
26-11-2013, 21:23
We love coming out to Camping Nauta where our static caravan is sited. It's our little bit of paradise! We try to get out every 2-3 months!good on ya susief;) i couldn't think of a better place to have a place in the sun;)

warbey
26-11-2013, 21:26
good on ya susief;) i couldn't think of a better place to have a place in the sun;)

. . :agree::agree::agree:

and only a short walk to the Nearest Waterhole.....

Susief
26-11-2013, 21:28
good on ya susief;) i couldn't think of a better place to have a place in the sun;)

We love it. Works out cheaper than owning an apartment and we have a nice patio/garden!http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/27/neru6y5a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/27/yhaty8ym.jpg

marbro8
26-11-2013, 21:38
We love it. Works out cheaper than owning an apartment and we have a nice patio/garden!http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/27/neru6y5a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/27/yhaty8ym.jpgit looks lovely;) you are very lucky;)

Susief
26-11-2013, 21:39
it looks lovely;) you are very lucky;)

We are very lucky. Best thing we did 5 years ago!

marbro8
26-11-2013, 21:41
We are very lucky. Best thing we did 5 years ago!how far are you away from say los cris las americas? and how much would taxi's cost?

Susief
26-11-2013, 21:44
how far are you away from say los cris las americas? and how much would taxi's cost?

We 10-15 mins in car to Los Cris. 5 mins to Silencio and Las Galletas (our fav place).
Not sure about taxi as we always hire a car.

amanda
26-11-2013, 21:52
We love it. Works out cheaper than owning an apartment and we have a nice patio/garden!http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/27/neru6y5a.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/27/yhaty8ym.jpg

It certainly does look lovely, with the added bonus of a garden, and everything else on the site good luck to you

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I came with my parents in 1973, loved it when I got home went straight up to london to an au pair agency, and was back in six months, had a wonderful family and made lots of friends yes it has changed but I still love it here

Susief
26-11-2013, 22:01
It certainly does look lovely, with the added bonus of a garden, and everything else on the site good luck to you

Thanks Amanda. It was one of the best things we have done! We've never regretted it!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/27/u3y3ena2.jpg

We even have resident gekkos, here's big boy!

Horsedrawn
27-11-2013, 22:03
Priority reason to visit was the good weather when ours is bad. What has made us return and buy a little property is the fact that we feel comfortable and familiar here in a European sort of way. My heritage is Irish so going to mass here has the same rhythm even with a different language. Local people (not just in restaurants!) have always been very friendly. Also love the massive contrast in landscape and even climate all in a days drive. Still waiting to find some art stuff and galleries but I know they are out there.................almost forgot (too embarrassed) to mention, cheap booze is a great bonus!!!

Bob_W
07-12-2013, 20:31
Many, many, years ago when speaking to family members I was always told " Tenerife is alright but if you have been to other Spanish destinations then don't bother".
So for many years I avoided Tenerife as I had travelled to quite a few of the " Costa's " and other parts of Spain, but I began to grow curious about Tenerife and decided
what the hell why not.
That was nearly 20 years ago and now I have visited almost 30 times. I know its not Hawaii ( been there done that) or Miami ( the same ) or the Carribean etc but
these places have never gave me the feeling of stepping off the plane and feeling that I have returned to my second home.
So whether its 29 degrees or 20 degrees with tropical rain I don't care.
I come to Tenerife for Tenerife and all that it delivers.

Susief
07-12-2013, 20:42
Many, many, years ago when speaking to family members I was always told " Tenerife is alright but if you have been to other Spanish destinations then don't bother".
So for many years I avoided Tenerife as I had travelled to quite a few of the " Costa's " and other parts of Spain, but I began to grow curious about Tenerife and decided
what the hell why not.
That was nearly 20 years ago and now I have visited almost 30 times. I know its not Hawaii ( been there done that) or Miami ( the same ) or the Carribean etc but
these places have never gave me the feeling of stepping off the plane and feeling that I have returned to my second home.
So whether its 29 degrees or 20 degrees with tropical rain I don't care.
I come to Tenerife for Tenerife and all that it delivers.

I know exactly what you're saying Bob.

I always say to my hubby when we land in Tenerife 'back home'.

We've been coming for 12 years, even bought a mobile home! Love the place and the people

danwheatley
08-12-2013, 23:44
I go for the great weather and it's my home away from home. Can't get enough of the island.

blondie
09-12-2013, 14:10
Yes , we had the same feeling 20 yrs ago and it has never left us. I would say the weather is a big factor but really dont know why we have such an affinity for the Island , we just feel comfy there, have been to many places got the y shirt etc but we always return.

cheery
09-12-2013, 16:49
We have been coming since 1995 and it has grown on us. It has everything you could need, scenery, culture, climate and fleshpots.You take your pick of what you want. Restaurants from everywhere on Earth and prices up and down the scale. I'll admit the only culture I have done is the Loro Parque and a few whale trips. As posted above, I work so much over in the UK all I want to do is flop on a sunlounger. We do like to walk a good way to the beach so we aren't completely lazy! We walked most days from Barranco Bungalows to Puerto Colon or Fanabe the time before last. Not very good in flip flops though. I was told about the Guanches by my friend years ago so I bought a book on them and read that, bit cultural that isn't it?

Anyway, the intention is to retire in Tenerife in 5 or 6 years while we are both still young enough to enjoy walks, sometimes in the hills and other times just along the seafront. Even if the weather is changing, as some claimed the other day, it will still be better than the UK for my increasingly creaking bones. :lol:

thegman
09-12-2013, 21:56
The sun and the music....Acoustic Knights. Bliss!!!

jimmyd
10-12-2013, 00:03
Been living here now for only 2 months, but compared to the mainland its a complete nirvana. Everyone (expats and locals) are so much friendlier, cheaper, really taken me by surprise! :)

The weather is crap though! ! ;)

Margaretta
14-12-2013, 01:56
I think all the responses together show just why people keep returning to the island or choose to live there. Its variety in every way has something to appeal to each visitor. What you need from a holiday, a home or second home is all there.
Our second home is an apartment and we live there, eating out little but taking picnics to some of the more unusual places on the island and exploring every day. We enjoy photography and gardening and I draw and paint so the island is a paradise for those things. We have bird-watcher friends too and there is so much scope for hobbies and interests. To wake up in the morning and see the mountain, the blue sky, the many sorts of clouds and the green terraces and multicoloured rocks brings a joy beyond description. My dream is to move to Tenerife permanently and create a Tenerife garden but hubby doesn't want to commit to that. I am just so grateful every time we land on the island I now call 'home.' You have to look hard for culture in the south but there is now a theatre in Los Cristianos and 9 Plus has introduced frequent art and photography exhibitions and workshops in the Magma Centre. There is a gallery under the town hall at San Miguel, El Ajilbe I think? It was the old water cistern of San Miguel and has a rounded structure great for art exhibitions. The true, traditional lace and embroidery will be found in La Orotava (not made in Taiwan) and there are many Museums and galleries in Santa Cruz and La Laguna.So much to see and do or to just laze in the sun. variety for everyone.

Jabba43
16-06-2014, 19:20
I was reading somewhere there is a huge return rate to the Canaries, 70% or something. Seems like from the answers here that is so.

Santiago
16-06-2014, 22:53
This year we will have been holidaying in Tenerife, on and off, for forty years and we still can't decide whether we are going to like it or not. We have had every kind of weather chucked at us from heatwaves and calimas to tropical storms and snowstorms. We have paddled up the main street in Los Cristianos and swum in a pool in a hailstorm. There is absolutely nowhere else like it in the world and whichever part of the island you decide to enjoy I am sure you will be tempted to come back - just to check whether you liked it or not!

jerseyjen
20-07-2014, 03:26
Sunshine, relaxation and a major change of scenery... Bit more than 5 hour flight (have to get from Jersey to Gatwick first) but well worth it. We get off the plane, grab a hire car and shoot off. Always stay at the H10 in Puerto de la Cruz. I love our mountain days (Jersey is only 9x5 so getting to drive a bit further is novelty) and the changing scenery the further you drive.

Worst bit is getting back on the plane to come home.

LeFrunk
20-07-2014, 16:23
We tried different places when our kids were young and the one we settled for was Tenerife. Now our kids bring their kids . Like said before , I work long hours and my business takes up a lot of my time so when I get out there I chill out big time. I still do the rounds for Aqua park , Mount Teide , Loro park and the god dam Markets. Its a lot to do with the weather and the people , locals and tourists alike. We just feel so relaxed when we get there and the grand kids get straight into the pool , Tenerife is my wee piece of paradise .