PDA

View Full Version : Laws & Regulations Asian shops mis-selling goods in Tenerife

SDGILL 58
25-11-2013, 22:28
Dear Sir
I am writing regarding my experience at the hands of aggressive Asian shopkeeper’s, whom in my opinion, have taken money from my account fraudulently when I came to Tenerife on the 27th march 2013. I purchased yashica camera for 436.50 Euro's on the 28th of March. The salesmen named Thomas told me he could not get the instructions in English until Saturday the 6th of April and that the battery and memory card where only demo one's which would enable me to take no more than twenty photograph's when I went to the Island of La Gomera. He also said the video was sent up in Spanish and that I must not use the video as he would then be unable to convert it into English. The battery had to be charged up for 8 hours’ and only lasted a couple of hours in use but he said he would insert a Lithium battery and a 1000 memory photo card when I returned on the 6th of April.
When I returned from La Gomera I asked a young Essex man called David ( who ran a diving place in the marina of Puerto colon) for his opinion of the camera as the pictures appeared lacking in colour. He thought the camera to be of poor quality.
Sadly my husband who died on the 25th of May was rushed into hospital on Saturday the 6th of April and my son and Stepchildren thought he was going to die before I returned home.
I was terribly upset and returned to the Swami shop for the camera accessories incase I could get an earlier flight home.
To cut a long story short I was in the shop for over 2 hour’s. Thomas, the salesmen produced a pack with two batteries and a memory card in. He told me the batteries were 1276 euro's each, at which point I told him to stop, that my son would buy the batteries in England. He then told me I had to buy them as he had cut open the pack. At which point I burst into tears.
At this he apologized, said that he had obviously misled me and would give me a multi-media tablet and travel pack which I told him I did not want.
Finally, I was asked to produce my passport and he would add the tax to avoid any trouble with customs duty.
I just signed the bill (which he does not know that I photocopied the next day) and I was glad to leave the shop.
The next day, Sunday the 7th of April, my husband had improved and I was able to speak to him and being in a better frame of mind, took some action and phoned the bank to cancel my MasterCard and my friend accompanied me to the Adeje police station.
The desk sergeant said that they had hundreds of complaints and in any case I needed an Interpreter. He was of no help what so ever.
I then went to the young man from Essex and showed him the bill and he said come with me and took me to his Romanian friend, who sat me down phoned the police, who turned up in a police car and he acted as my interpreter.
The two policemen accompanied me into the shop. The conversation was in Spanish and the owner turned to me and asked me to at least keep the camera, but that he would refund my money if I returned the other good's.
My friend then returned to the shop with me and witnessed me return the unwanted items. The following day, I returned to the shop at 11am and told Nash another assistant that I was not prepared to wait until 3pm for my refunds. I wanted to see the owner immediately or else I would go to Adeje town hall to make a complaint.
He returned at 2.30pm and gave me 3 receipts, none of which were refunds. I got him to write cancelled refund to be made and sign the original bill. I also told him that I had priced the camera elsewhere at 100 Euros and he produced a fake camera and took a photo of some clothes in the adjoining shop which he owned and showed me how faint the colour was. He then took a photo with the camera he had sold me to show me the difference. He said he had sold me the genuine camera. I believe he had exchanged it.
When I joined my friend on the seafront I sorted through what he had given me to find he had not given me the original cancelled bill. He had torn it in half and crumpled it up and made out another bill for 1276 Euro's, which the amount is shown on the 3rd supposed refund receipt.
LLOYDS TSB said that none of the 3 receipt’s he gave me where refunds. They later received 2 refund receipts for 325.48 EUROS + 784.50 EUROS.
The fact remains that I have a camera worth approximately £80-100 and the total taken from my account in sterling was £391.65 under the name Trendz . (Probably the clothes shop) and £2,026.08 under the name Swami.
I have received refunds of £275.62+ £ 664.31 totalling £ 939.93
£ 2417.73pence - £939.93= £1477.80 the total paid for an £80-£100 camera.
The bank will not recover the money without proof.
I am returning to Puerto colon with my son and two friends on the 29th of October and am writing to ask you for advice on any further action which can be taken during my 9 day stay.

bonitatime
26-11-2013, 16:24
Because of the time passed I think it will be hard to get any joy but try the OMIC consumer office in Adeje next to the post office. Take someone to translate
I am sorry for the loss of your husband and am sure all this has made your life much worse

warbey
26-11-2013, 21:22
There is some Legislation with Credit Cards if over One Hundred..

Would this be an Avenue to explore.?

Did You mean 29th of November...?...

sundownersvince
27-11-2013, 00:01
This has been going on for a couple of months on other sites, its not recent and too late to complain. Credit cards your best bet. Go to Citizens advice in UK they may help on that score. In the mean time get some super glue for his locks, a knife for his tyres and a big screwdriver to shove through his radiator. Might make you feel better. A gallon of petrol might come in handy too but that would be illegal wouldnt it?

marbro8
27-11-2013, 00:17
at the end of the day holiday makers should be made aware of the way these vermin make a living, someone should stand on all the main routs towards los cris, las americas etc etc with a large board( like we have dominoes pizzas boards over here ) stating that on no account should anyone give these people the time of day:(, they should also have them at the airport warning holiday makers of their despicable crime, and maybe just maybe:bowdown:, they will cease to exist :pray::pray:

sundownersvince
27-11-2013, 00:23
The Police obviously dont give a damn. You wouldnt get away with it in England. Mind you, having said that, we have pay day loan sharks on our High Streets......

warbey
27-11-2013, 20:20
The Police obviously dont give a damn. You wouldnt get away with it in England. Mind you, having said that, we have pay day loan sharks on our High Streets......

The first Post said the Police went with Her to the Shop. What more could They do at that time?

Usually I'd agree but this time They helped..

marbro8
27-11-2013, 20:35
The first Post said the Police went with Her to the Shop. What more could They do at that time?

Usually I'd agree but this time They helped..i understand what you are saying warbey but why don't they try to get the worst offenders shut down, they must know who they are because they are always being called to them:dontknow:

warbey
27-11-2013, 20:48
i understand what you are saying warbey but why don't they try to get the worst offenders shut down, they must know who they are because they are always being called to them:dontknow:

This could fall between two Stools.

in the U.K. it would probably be the Consumer People who deal with it, and these Thieves

play up to it I think. It's been going on for Years. Most of Us are careful, but there will always be

some caught by the bull... These People give You.

Years ago, I was approached and shown a shiny new do it all Camera, which would do everything I needed.
I started to Laugh, He got niggly until I told Him I was in the Business in the U.K., and that He
Should be wearing a Mask. You should have seen His Face when I valued the JUNK at around a tenth of the Price He wanted.

There are good buys there, but You need to KNOW the Price in the U.K. BEFORE You leave.

It would be wise to also assume the Guarantee is worthless in the U.K., so allow for that too....

marbro8
27-11-2013, 21:11
This could fall between two Stools.

in the U.K. it would probably be the Consumer People who deal with it, and these Thieves

play up to it I think. It's been going on for Years. Most of Us are careful, but there will always be

some caught by the bull... These People give You.

Years ago, I was approached and shown a shiny new do it all Camera, which would do everything I needed.
I started to Laugh, He got niggly until I told Him I was in the Business in the U.K., and that He
Should be wearing a Mask. You should have seen His Face when I valued the JUNK at around a tenth of the Price He wanted.

There are good buys there, but You need to KNOW the Price in the U.K. BEFORE You leave.to be honest mate i would not give "ANY" of them the time of day, you just can't take the chance:(

warbey
27-11-2013, 21:18

I tried a Shop in Lanzarote this Year......

It's not just Tenerife Mate.......................................:(:(:( :devil2:

marbro8
27-11-2013, 21:29

I tried a Shop in Lanzarote this Year......

It's not just Tenerife Mate.......................................:(:(:( :devil2:bloody hell it's like an epidemic :wow:, i wonder if there are actually any honest asian shops? it might be a good idea(if there are any?) for members to post a list of them so that no one gets took for a ride:(

LUCKY
27-11-2013, 22:24
Not on our high street , we do it online:flatcap:

warbey
28-11-2013, 21:28
bloody hell it's like an epidemic :wow:, i wonder if there are actually any honest asian shops? it might be a good idea(if there are any?) for members to post a list of them so that no one gets took for a ride:(

There should still be one in the Palm Beach Complex, the opposite side from the two "In Your Face" ones.

Those along the Promfrom Las Cris almost to Torviscas, I'd think twice., then carry on........

Most know to avoid the Eugenio Complex too.

I do wonder if an HONEST Trader would be able to be a success.? There's a Market.......

marbro8
28-11-2013, 21:36
There should still be one in the Palm Beach Complex, the opposite side from the two "In Your Face" ones.

Those along the Promfrom Las Cris almost to Torviscas, I'd think twice., then carry on........

Most know to avoid the Eugenio Complex too.

I do wonder if an HONEST Trader would be able to be a success.? There's a Market.......may be a good business idea?, a straight camera and video dealer in tenerife:laugh:

delderek
28-11-2013, 22:05
may be a good business idea?, a straight camera and video dealer in tenerife:laugh:

Actually there is one. Visanta. They do have several branches. But don't try bartering too much prices are more or less fixed. They do have a website.

bonitatime
29-11-2013, 13:41
Maya is another one

warbey
29-11-2013, 21:23
Actually there is one. Visanta. They do have several branches. But don't try bartering too much prices are more or less fixed. They do have a website.

And there is One at Santiago 3.... wey hey............

judetenerife
29-11-2013, 22:47
an honest asian shop in the gran sur, not electrical but jewellery, "diamonds n diamonds" its family owned, ive used them loads for purchases and repairs and they sell good genuine stuff with good service too.

Rickiebear
30-11-2013, 21:34
Hi, I have bought from Worton, El Corte Inglas and Alcampo. All great products, prices and service.