PDA

View Full Version : Recipes Can you buy cinnamon buns anywhere in North Tenerife?

canarybird
28-11-2013, 15:09
Has anyone in the north of Tenerife ever seen a cinnamon bun? I've not seen one anywhere here on the island.

Even the German bakeries, of which there are many, seem to avoid using cinnamon in their pastries or breads. And cinnamon is so good.

Being Canadian and from the west coast, where there are cinnamon buns practically growing on trees, I really do feel the lack of an occasional lashing out with one (or two) of the sweet gooey soft bready, raisin-filled and icing-covered treats.....even more decadent if you spread soft butter all over it!!!

Oh and with a cup of good coffee (not Starbucks or other foamy drinks they sell as coffee).
I do have a recipe, but nothing seems to taste as good as one made in a bakery that knows how they should taste.

I was just going through some of my old photos taken in Canada and came across this one of a couple of these wonderful creations.
On a scale of ten, I'd say these were about a 9.5 in deliciousness. I wish someone here would open a bakery and just make cinnamon buns!

Oh and pies. Real pies full of fruit and flaky pastry. Not the flat things they sell here with a bottom crust like cardboard and a thin row of sliced apples that look dehydrated. Okay I can make those too myself I guess. But some days it would be nice to have the choice of a slice of pie for dessert in a restaurant.

Oh dear, I think it must be getting near lunch time as looking at these photos is having a bad effect on me.

I'd better stop here. (But if you hear of a cinnamon bun bakery here.....please let me know!) :-)

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-TPgTVDr/0/L/P8250001-L.jpg

http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Other/Miscellaneous-1/i-NDJRK3J/0/L/Sidney%20Cinnamon%20Buns-L.jpg

bonitatime
29-11-2013, 13:47
Do el Rancho not do buns? I used to Love The café de París before they took it down. They make awesome cakes

melm
29-11-2013, 15:29
Do el Rancho not do buns? I used to Love The café de París before they took it down. They make awesome cakes

The café de Paris is still there and as popular as ever. You might be thinking about the Café Columbus that was pulled down.

Marks & Spencer make a delicious cinnamon bun might be worth a visit to their shop in Santa Cruz:yum:

canarybird
29-11-2013, 15:48
Bonitatime ...thanks for your answer but although there are many buns there are no cinnamn buns at the Rancho.

Melm thanks and I'll remember that for the next time I'm in Sta. Cruz.

bonitatime
29-11-2013, 20:26
The café de Paris is still there and as popular as ever. You might be thinking about the Café Columbus that was pulled down.

Marks & Spencer make a delicious cinnamon bun might be worth a visit to their shop in Santa Cruz:yum:

Could be it was a long time ago

slodgedad
29-11-2013, 20:53
Read this and got dead excited 'cos Carol loves 'em. I thought there'd be a recipe as it is in the recipe section.
I was gonna try to impresssss her. Duh

rosemary
30-11-2013, 13:55
Those buns do look a bit like what we Brits call Chelsea Buns, but they don't have cinnamon in them. 'With soft butter on top'??? Canarybird what were you thinking:wow:

How divine! :D Make em CB! And save one for me.....x

canarybird
30-11-2013, 19:03
These buns have a soft, bready consistency that tears away in strips as the cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins are spread over the dough which is rolled up into a log and then sliced crosswise, the buns then laying on a tray for baking and coated with melted butter. It's the pungent flavour and scent of cinnamon that makes them different from other fruit buns.
Oh dear I think I will have to make them myself very soon! Will save you one Rosemary!

rosemary
30-11-2013, 19:51
These buns have a soft, bready consistency that tears away in strips as the cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins are spread over the dough which is rolled up into a log and then sliced crosswise, the buns then laying on a tray for baking and coated with melted butter. It's the pungent flavour and scent of cinnamon that makes them different from other fruit buns.
Oh dear I think I will have to make them myself very soon! Will save you one Rosemary!

Yep that's a Chelsea bun. maybe they do have cinnamon in them but it's been so long since I tried em!! x

junglejim
30-11-2013, 19:51
Croquant in Los Cristianos do them !!

canarybird
30-11-2013, 19:58
Chelsea buns usually have currents and sometimes candied fruit in them and are similar but not the same. I've seen some of those here but not with cinnamon.

The main difference is in the cinnamon and there being no currants in Cinnamon buns, with optional raisins, which are also topped with a cream cheese icing or glaze.

Americans usually call them cinnamon rolls.

Newforest
08-12-2013, 10:20
Should have been at my house yesterday, fresh out of the oven, sorry none left now!

canarybird
08-12-2013, 12:00
Newforest too bad but I bet you enjoyed them.

There's a history to cinnamon buns in Vancouver, Canada, remembered by those who attended the University of B.C. during the time 1954 to 1970.
I was lucky enough to be there then. The cinnamon buns from the cafeteria, the UBC cinnamon buns, were legendary, and the recipe was hunted but never found because their creator, Grace Hasz, a grandmother from Hungary, never wrote it down. Still today, people ask on cooking websites for the original UBC cinnamon bun recipe. One recipe was published in The Vancouver Sun newspaper, but apparently it wasn't the Grace Hasz recipe and didn't resemble her original buns.

Among others, her grandson tried to duplicate the recipe and after many attempts came up with what he considered to be the closest to hers. It uses a lot of cinnamon. Not just a teaspoon or so but several tablespoons so the resulting bun was black with the pungent aroma. The buns were also round and tall, like the shape of a paper cup, not like the large squarish buns of today.

Anyway, if you Google UBC cinnamon buns you will probably come up with the newer versions, created after 1970 by another cook, after Grace Hasz left the UBC cafeteria.
But in the meantime, here are a couple of links to this story:

The UBC cinnamon bun and Grace Hasz. (http://ubccinnamonbun.blogspot.com.es/2011/10/ubc-cinnamon-buns.html)

The grandson's recipe. (http://ubccinnamonbun.blogspot.com.es/2011/12/perfect-cinnamon-bun-recipe.html)

Canarybird

lynne7
08-12-2013, 16:32
There's a place on El Camison that bakes them but they are not ready until after 2pm, as I found out when I wanted one for breakfast last week! I think it's called C&G, it's quite small with black and white decor and is close to the Mercadona corner.

sunseeker
08-12-2013, 16:37
There's a place on El Camison that bakes them but they are not ready until after 2pm, as I found out when I wanted one for breakfast last week! I think it's called C&G, it's quite small with black and white decor and is close to the Mercadona corner.

el camisón isnt in the north tho.

I'm really hungry now.

Megaloo
09-12-2013, 01:02
Here is a recipe for anyone up to making some
Cinnamon Buns
Ingredients
For the dough
500g/1lb 2oz strong white flour

1 tsp salt

50g/1¾oz light brown sugar

15g/1oz fresh yeast or 1½ tsp dried yeast

75g/3oz butter, softened

200ml/7fl oz milk

2 free-range eggs, plus one egg yolk, for glazing

flavourless oil, for oiling

For the filling
200g/7oz prunes, roughly chopped

1 orange, zest and juice

100g/3½oz light brown sugar

1½ tsp ground cinnamon

100g/3½oz butter, softened, plus extra for greasing

For the syrup
50g/2oz caster sugar

Preparation method
1.Mix together the flour, salt and sugar in a bowl. Crumble in the fresh yeast (or stir in the dried yeast). Rub the softened butter into the flour mixture with your fingertips until there are no large lumps of butter. (It does not have to be as fine as breadcrumbs, as you would do with a crumble.)

2.Make a well in the flour mixture. Pour the milk into the well and crack in one egg. Bring the dough together with your hands or with a spatula. This is quite a soft, supple dough - if it feels a little wet and sticky, don't panic. Keep mixing and the flour will absorb the liquid.

3.Turn the dough out onto a clean surface and knead for 10 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Cut a small piece off and stretch the dough as thin as you can – if you can see light shining through the dough and you can see the shadow of your fingers held behind the thinnest part, it is ready.

4.Put the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave to prove for about 80-90 minutes.

5.Meanwhile for the filling, combine the chopped prunes with the orange zest and juice and set aside. The fruit should be soaked for a minimum of half an hour, but it can be made as much as a day in advance.

6.In a small mixing bowl, beat the sugar and cinnamon into the softened butter with a fork until well combined. Set aside.

7.Lightly grease the base and sides of a deep roasting tin roughly 34x24cm/13x9in with butter and line with baking parchment.

8.When the dough has nearly doubled in size, tip it out of the bowl and knock the air out. Roll the dough into a rectangle, the thickness of a pound coin. The long side of the rectangle should be about 30cm/12in long.

9.Spread the cinnamon paste over the surface of the dough, ensuring the paste reaches all the edges. Drain the soaked prunes, reserving the juice, then sprinkle the prunes evenly over the dough.

10.Starting with a long side of the rectangle, roll the dough up into a sausage shape. Flour the work surface and lay the rolled dough on top of the flour before cutting into rolls into 12 equal slices.

11.Place the slices side by side, with the spiral facing up, into the lined roasting tin. Cover with a damp tea towel and leave to prove again for about 45 minutes.

12.Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.

13.When the buns have risen and feel springy to the touch, they are ready to bake. Beat the remaining egg and egg yolk together in a small bowl, and brush the tops of the buns with egg glaze. This will give the buns a shine and lovely colour.

14.Bake the buns at 200C/400F/Gas 6 for 10 minutes and then lower the oven temperature to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Cook for a further 20 minutes.

15.While the buns are baking, make the syrup. Pour the reserved orange juice from soaking the prunes into a small saucepan with the sugar. Gently heat the mixture, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Bring the syrup to the boil and cook for five minutes. Set aside.

16.When the buns have finished baking, remove them from the oven and brush with the syrup so that the orangey flavour soaks right into the buns. Transfer the buns on the paper to a wire rack to cool.

canarybird
09-12-2013, 10:22
Thanks Megaloo...That looks like a nice recipe.

The ones I'm used to have much much more cinnamon and no orange....as an example where yours uses 1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon, the UBC bun recipe above, for about the same amount of flour, uses 18 teaspoons of cinnamon (6 tablespoons = 18 teaspoons) and dark, demerara sugar so the buns have a very strong cinnamon and molasses flavour.

The modern buns now are often glazed with a cream cheese and sugar frosting but I find that a little too much and prefer a simple sugar glaze.
Guess I'm just going to have to make some myself, but long after Christmas when I've worked off the mince tarts and Christmas cake!