PDA

View Full Version : Long Term Rental Aren't there any long term apartments in South Tenerife?

MikeT
05-12-2013, 18:17
Hello all,

I'm thinking of moving to Tenerife and would like to ask for your advice. I like the South (Las Americas, Los Cristianos etc.) the best due to nice beaches, nice promenades etc. etc. but I couldn't find any long term rent apartments there (using fotocasa.es, several other real estate engines and Google). Is that because apartment/house owners in this area prefer renting short term? Are there really no apartments for long term rent in South Tenerife?

Although I don't need to live right next to a beach, a 5-8km or so distance from it would be nice. I like Santa Cruz a lot as well but the closest beach, Los Teresitas, is about 10-15km far and that's a lot as I won't have a car there and will travel almost exclusively by a mountain bike.

I also don't really like the black beaches so that limits my options a little.

Could you help me out please? I can't believe that there would be no real options to choose from in the south.

Thank you very much in advance.

MikeT
07-12-2013, 21:37
Anyone, please?

I believe this to be a relatively easy question for someone living in Tenerife. :)

slodgedad
07-12-2013, 22:09
Why not advertise your needs in the approriate section. This is the information section.

shirley43
09-12-2013, 17:32
I'm looking for accommodation also!!
Slodgedad where would I post it to ??

ribuck
09-12-2013, 18:14
I like Santa Cruz a lot as well but the closest beach, Los Teresitas, is about 10-15km far and that's a lot as I won't have a car there and will travel almost exclusively by a mountain bike.

There is a cycleway much of the way along the coast between Santa Cruz and Los Teresitas. Also, the 910 bus runs every 20 minutes and only costs 75 cents with a Bono card. You can take your bicycle on the bus if you want to cycle one way (it's a low floor bendy-bus with plenty of space for bicycles).

slodgedad
09-12-2013, 22:15
I'm looking for accommodation also!!
Slodgedad where would I post it to ??
HERE (http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/forumdisplay.php?103-Long-lets-in-Tenerife) and mark it WANTED

Dreamer
10-12-2013, 09:26
Anyone, please?

I believe this to be a relatively easy question for someone living in Tenerife. :)

Even easier is searching on the internet using the key words 'long let apartments tenerife south'

lynnangela
10-12-2013, 18:31
Hello all,

I'm thinking of moving to Tenerife and would like to ask for your advice. I like the South (Las Americas, Los Cristianos etc.) the best due to nice beaches, nice promenades etc. etc. but I couldn't find any long term rent apartments there (using fotocasa.es, several other real estate engines and Google). Is that because apartment/house owners in this area prefer renting short term? Are there really no apartments for long term rent in South Tenerife?

Although I don't need to live right next to a beach, a 5-8km or so distance from it would be nice. I like Santa Cruz a lot as well but the closest beach, Los Teresitas, is about 10-15km far and that's a lot as I won't have a car there and will travel almost exclusively by a mountain bike.

I also don't really like the black beaches so that limits my options a little.

Could you help me out please? I can't believe that there would be no real options to choose from in the south.

Thank you very much in advance.

In your situation, personally I would give El Medano serious consideration, beautiful beaches, beautiful town. You wouldn't need a car there. There is a lot of residential accommodation in El Medano as it is mainly a residential area, I feel sure there is also a lot of empty property there so it shouldn't be too difficult to find somewhere. However you need to be there, talk to people and get some contacts. I gave up on the agencies when we were looking, it was always hard to get anywhere with them on the internet or phone. We came over for 3 months on Golf Del Sur and then took it from there. If you want a contact on GDS to get some accommodation on a 3 month basis then pm me and ill put you in touch with someone. At least that will give you a base while you find somewhere longer term.

MikeT
12-12-2013, 00:37
In your situation, personally I would give El Medano serious consideration, beautiful beaches, beautiful town. You wouldn't need a car there. There is a lot of residential accommodation in El Medano as it is mainly a residential area, I feel sure there is also a lot of empty property there so it shouldn't be too difficult to find somewhere. However you need to be there, talk to people and get some contacts. I gave up on the agencies when we were looking, it was always hard to get anywhere with them on the internet or phone. We came over for 3 months on Golf Del Sur and then took it from there. If you want a contact on GDS to get some accommodation on a 3 month basis then pm me and ill put you in touch with someone. At least that will give you a base while you find somewhere longer term.

Thank you very much for your reply, lynnangela.

Unfortunately I didn't find anything in El Medano (even though I've heard good things about its beach). I'm looking for an apartment that's furnished (preferably with a laundry machine as well), air conditioning and preferably a balcony/terrace. So that takes a lot of apartments out of the equation. Just the air conditioning narrows my search from 1300 to about 100 apartments in the entire Tenerife. I'm guessing that most Tenerifians don't need the AC as they're accustomed to the heat so that's why most of the apartments probably don't have it (just like in any other place with warm climate). And most of these apartments are in the north, Santa Cruz and Puerto de la Cruz mostly.

There is a cycleway much of the way along the coast between Santa Cruz and Los Teresitas. Also, the 910 bus runs every 20 minutes and only costs 75 cents with a Bono card. You can take your bicycle on the bus if you want to cycle one way (it's a low floor bendy-bus with plenty of space for bicycles).

Thank you for the tip, ribuck. I'm sure that cycling along the coastline is awesome. And it's good to know that there are some low floor buses so there's not always the need to put the bike to the bus' luggage department (with wheels removed as I've read elsewhere). Is there a lot of the low floor buses compared to the regular ones? Are they just in Santa Cruz or in other areas as well?

Why not advertise your needs in the approriate section. This is the information section.

Well yes, I was looking for a general information about the long term renting situation in the south. :)

Even easier is searching on the internet using the key words 'long let apartments tenerife south'

I mentioned in my first post that I'm using Google along with real estate search engines and no real luck. I like fotocasa.es the best as it has all the filters I need (AC, furnished etc.) that others lack.

ribuck
12-12-2013, 12:39
... it's good to know that there are some low floor buses so there's not always the need to put the bike to the bus' luggage department (with wheels removed as I've read elsewhere). Is there a lot of the low floor buses compared to the regular ones? Are they just in Santa Cruz or in other areas as well?

The Teresitas bus is the only route I know which consistently uses bicycle-friendly buses. I do see them occasionally elsewhere but haven't really been paying attention where.

If you take your bicycle on a popular route (e.g. from the airport, or up to Teide) you need to remove the front wheel so that you can use the luggage bay. On most other routes the luggage bay won't be full and you can just dump your bicycle in there sideways without removing the wheel.

The tram from Santa Cruz to La Laguna is very bicycle-friendly.

lynnangela
12-12-2013, 15:25
Thank you very much for your reply, lynnangela.

Unfortunately I didn't find anything in El Medano (even though I've heard good things about its beach). I'm looking for an apartment that's furnished (preferably with a laundry machine as well), air conditioning and preferably a balcony/terrace. So that takes a lot of apartments out of the equation. Just the air conditioning narrows my search from 1300 to about 100 apartments in the entire Tenerife. I'm guessing that most Tenerifians don't need the AC as they're accustomed to the heat so that's why most of the apartments probably don't have it (just like in any other place with warm climate). And most of these apartments are in the north, Santa Cruz and Puerto de la Cruz mostly.

I think you are putting far too much importance on having air conditioning, and the fact that so few rental properties have it would seem to back that up. For one thing its expensive to run, and for another you really don't need it that often. Far better to acclimatise over a couple of weeks than become reliant on always having a cold room to retreat to. Besides which you can buy units at Worten for around €300 if you really needed one for the bedroom for instance. If you cant take the heat, why live in Tenerife? :) . Good luck with your search, but like I said before, you really need to be here to find accommodation and a 3 month rental would give you that breathing space. And at this time of year you wont need air conditioning either.

MikeT
12-12-2013, 19:29
Thank you for the information. :) Also didn't know that the tram goes to other cities/towns, thought it's just Santa Cruz, so that's cool too. :)