PDA

View Full Version : Relocation We're relocating to Tenerife!

shirley43
07-12-2013, 13:03
Hello Everyone,
My Partner Myself and our 2 children have made the decision to Relocate from Sunny Scotland to Tenerife (south).... Im looking for help and advice with all aspects of the move, from Shipping our belongings, Renting house, Schools and life in general.
We have not taken this decision lightly but are sure its the right decision for us as a family!! My partner works in the oil & gas industry worldwide so Employment is not an issue .....
Where do i start in regards to everything else ...... any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank You
Shirley

bonitatime
08-12-2013, 10:44
Thoughts would be
Somewhere to live: expat community or local community, you have to think what you are liking for. Try renting to see if you like somewhere
Schools: options include Spanish state school system , Echeyde, Luther king, English schools such as Callao learning or Wingate. There are various threads discussing the pros and cons of these.
Medical insurance you really need this
Paperwork: you need to become resident, register with the town hall etc. You can either try on your own, most places speak a little English or pay someone.
Car if you buy second hand make sure there are no outstanding debts on the car. Debts stay with the car no the person.

Rickiebear
08-12-2013, 11:12
Hi, certainly rent first. Don't sell you home in Scotland, if you have one, rent it out as well. Just in case. We bought, now wish we had spent more time looking around. And I knew Tenerife well!

Why south? There are some lovely local traditional towns in the north. Remember you are not on holiday, but a resident?

First you will need a NIF number, someone on here will help you with. Then a bank account. Most UK banks have a Spanish partner. Our bank is Solbank part of Sabadol.

In the meantime start to learn Spanish.

Good luck, I am sure you will not regret it.

brightonbel
08-12-2013, 11:14
Best wishes to you it will be a big step , we are starting the move next Friday from the top of sunny Ireland br.....5 cats 1 yorkshire terrier by car help ! To be fair it has taken us nearly 3 years to get to this stage but I am very happy . :wave:

shirley43
09-12-2013, 15:28
Thoughts would be
Somewhere to live: expat community or local community, you have to think what you are liking for. Try renting to see if you like somewhere
Schools: options include Spanish state school system , Echeyde, Luther king, English schools such as Callao learning or Wingate. There are various threads discussing the pros and cons of these.
Medical insurance you really need this
Paperwork: you need to become resident, register with the town hall etc. You can either try on your own, most places speak a little English or pay someone.
Car if you buy second hand make sure there are no outstanding debts on the car. Debts stay with the car no the person.
Hi,
We are looking for an expat community as we do not speak any Spanish yet!!
I have trialled through all the school options and think we are goin with lutherKing (if they ever get back to me)
Cars won't be an issue for the time being I would prefer not to drive on other side of the road lol

Where do I. Look for houses to rent ?? Reasonably priced x

bonitatime
09-12-2013, 15:29
As you are talking about Lutjer King i would start a thread in here for something no either golf

shirley43
09-12-2013, 16:18
As you are talking about Lutjer King i would start a thread in here for something no either golf

Sorry What do you mean start a thread ?? What about golf??

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Hi, certainly rent first. Don't sell you home in Scotland, if you have one, rent it out as well. Just in case. We bought, now wish we had spent more time looking around. And I knew Tenerife well!

Why south? There are some lovely local traditional towns in the north. Remember you are not on holiday, but a resident?

First you will need a NIF number, someone on here will help you with. Then a bank account. Most UK banks have a Spanish partner. Our bank is Solbank part of Sabadol.

In the meantime start to learn Spanish.

Good luck, I am sure you will not regret it.

Hi, we have chosen the south as we have only ever visited the southern areas of Tenerife!! We are definitely renting out our own home in Scotland and renting in Tenerife we just can't find anyone to help with finding a house in Tenerife

synhide
09-12-2013, 22:09
Hi there

Were in the same boat, so to speak, my hubby also works in iraq so like you we can live anywhere, he goes away for 8 weeks at a time and then home for 4. I have a three year old 4 in jan and we are going to firstly rent in tenerife for 6 months before we take the permanent plunge so would be great to catch up now and agin and see how your progressing too. We've got as far me quitting my job! giving notice on the daughters nursery placement and have had the estate agents round to market our own home for renting. Ive been trawling the internet looking for rental homes mainly in the Adeje area due to schools but no luck in something ticking all the boxes yet, have to keep reminding myself that its only for 6 months to begin with. Anyway good luck and if i pick up any interesting info I will be sure to share.

Heidi

shirley43
10-12-2013, 17:48
Hi Heidi,

So great to talk to someone in the same boat as me.
We have bee trawling internet too but I think I am being over fussy I don't like the idea of downsizing from our house to a flat but the move I have thought about it I think an apartment complex would be better to begin with. There is more chances to meet friends etc so I'm now looking at apartments rather than villas.
What school are you looking at for your wee one?? My youngest wi be 4 next Year also and I don't like the thought of him going on the school bus, I may e slightly over protective lol

Shirley

callaopam
12-12-2013, 18:36
If you are not going to drive, make sure you are on a good bus route. Luther King always have a waiting list, but around the Las Chafiras area would be a good location to start and there are plenty of rental properties and a lot of expats.
Health insurance is a must as you cannot get public health care unless you pay into the system.

shirley43
03-04-2014, 20:50
Hi there

Were in the same boat, so to speak, my hubby also works in iraq so like you we can live anywhere, he goes away for 8 weeks at a time and then home for 4. I have a three year old 4 in jan and we are going to firstly rent in tenerife for 6 months before we take the permanent plunge so would be great to catch up now and agin and see how your progressing too. We've got as far me quitting my job! giving notice on the daughters nursery placement and have had the estate agents round to market our own home for renting. Ive been trawling the internet looking for rental homes mainly in the Adeje area due to schools but no luck in something ticking all the boxes yet, have to keep reminding myself that its only for 6 months to begin with. Anyway good luck and if i pick up any interesting info I will be sure to share.

Heidi

Hi Again Heidi,

I was wondering if you had made the move yet and if so how are you settling in ???x