PDA

View Full Version : Other Anyone know her?

Red Devil
08-12-2013, 19:15
Does anyone know the middle aged -oldish lady who is always trying to sleep on benches? Seen her in a few places, no shoes, just cloth tied round her feet, very unkempt, tried to give her a bottle of water but she didnt want to know.
She seems such a pitiful person but I assume there must be help available if she wanted it? She isnt begging but doesnt look well at all, yet she can obviously move from place to place.

lynnangela
08-12-2013, 19:30
What part of the island do you see her?

Red Devil
08-12-2013, 20:09
Sorry, seen her in Torviscas and also San Telmo area of Los Cristianos

Margaretta
08-12-2013, 20:21
I think a Forum member tried to help her or similar a year or two ago but as with many people who live like this they make accept help for a short time but return to their chosen state very quickly. It's so sad but often due to mental problems. There is a similar person, a man in El Medano. There is evidence of some care, clothes and shoes, and his hair is often braided. He seems happy enough talking to himself and watching the world from a bench by the sea walk or the bus shelter. I say 'hello' but doubt if I could change his life. Not to say it isn't worth trying.

kathml
08-12-2013, 22:14
I think a Forum member tried to help her or similar a year or two ago but as with many people who live like this they make accept help for a short time but return to their chosen state very quickly. It's so sad but often due to mental problems. There is a similar person, a man in El Medano. There is evidence of some care, clothes and shoes, and his hair is often braided. He seems happy enough talking to himself and watching the world from a bench by the sea walk or the bus shelter. I say 'hello' but doubt if I could change his life. Not to say it isn't worth trying.

He's been around Medano a few years now apparently he has a cave up the barranca he always checks all the phone boxes for change argues with himself out loud all the time very unkempt but not smelly dirty he has odd coffees in some of the cafés so he's not poor have heard he's a ex soldier who lost it don't know if that's true but he's no trouble as far as I know

imablue
08-12-2013, 22:15
True Margaretta..but who knows what has gone on in their life.. could be any of a number of things ..money probs ,marriage probs ,business probs ..its a sight i hate to see anywhere ..with respect they themselves choose to do whatever they feel .. very sad in my eyes .. when we outside of it think ..can we help in any way ..

Red Devil
08-12-2013, 22:23
Obviously anyone can choose how they live but at what point does someone step in? If the authorities are aware of this lady then fair enough but she really doesnt look well, her feet were in a terrible state and her face seemed bruised, as if she'd had a fall.
The man you are referring to sounds as if he can take care of himself to some extent - I hoped someone would know if this lady was being kept an eye on at least.

Leam_Lin
08-12-2013, 22:23
Been a lady around Puerto Colon area for a number of years, always clean does mumble to herself we always put a couple of euros by where she sits, as far as we know never seen her begging or tapping the phone boxes.

Red Devil
08-12-2013, 22:34
Think I know that lady Leam, sleeps around by the port and hangs her washing out there? The one I am talking about is different, never seen her before, think she is Spanish and older. Sleeps laid on a bench and bent completely forwards, with head on knees, looks very uncomfortable

Margaretta
08-12-2013, 22:51
Red Devil, now that is a concern. Sleeping in that position shows there could be many internal problems. Maybe the nearest Tourist Office could advise unless you are au fait with a local doctor/clinic. A local (priest) may be able to advise. I do hope she gets some help very soon and you are great to notice her.

I would LOVE to paint Medano man! he has a great face. I think the hippies braid his hair. He is quite lithe, moves quickly and walks very straight. He's become part of the scene. i do worry that he sits for hours in the very hot sun with no hat.....

TIGER LILY
09-12-2013, 12:04
Hope you can speak enough Spanish to try and get her some help. She was someones daughter once, maybe someones wife or Mother. So sad that she is like this now. Frightening to think no one cares about her. What's the saying " There but for the grace of God go I". Hope you have some success soon. You are a obviously a good person and she needs someone in her corner.

blondie
09-12-2013, 14:29
Have seen both these ladies many times over the years. I have seen no change in the lady from Porto Colon, she is absoloutely spotless , you can see her doing her washing down by the boats and then goes back to her {home} at the end among the rocks, she bothers no one , would have liked to have helped her but she gives no eye contact and never sure whether to offer or not. The other wee soul with the clothes around her feet for shoes breaks my heart when I see her but she would take nothing from me. This lady is so obviously mentally ill yet the Police pass by her with no concern whatsoever for her welfare . I wish she would break some silly law then it would be a different story . Its so sad in this day and age to see such a sight wandering about especially in a holiday resort, and the powers thatbe want to make it a 5 star resort , in their dreams!!