PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Where should I look for a bar to run?

phh
12-12-2013, 21:09
Hi all: perhaps it's a mid-life crisis thing, but at the age of 52 I'm single, free of ties, and looking for a career and life-style change.

I'm currently in social-care management and, as an ex licensee here in the UK, am considering renting a bar to run in southern Tenerife - corny, I know, but true! I don't want the young party scene: I want something more sedate and appealing to all ages, and in a busy enough area to make a living.

So my first question to you all is: What locations should I be looking at? I've kinda short-listed the obvious - Adeje, Playa de la Americas and Los Christianos - but am naive and so would appreciate your thoughts.

Feel free to give me the benefit of your own experiences, plus any advice and guidance you may have (even if it's that you think I'm mad for even considering this plan). I would welcome all constructive comments!

Phil.

fixer
12-12-2013, 21:12
Don't! im now loosing count off how many people I know who have run bars but no longer on the island.

phh
12-12-2013, 21:16
Thanks, Fixer. What would you say are the main reasons for failure?

Tom & Sharon
12-12-2013, 21:34
Bit of bedtime reading for you.....

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?337-Buying-a-bar-in-Tenerife

boredinscotland
12-12-2013, 21:55
The reasons for failure are overheads,, pay out more than you bring in.....simple

marbro8
12-12-2013, 22:43
Hi all: perhaps it's a mid-life crisis thing, but at the age of 52 I'm single, free of ties, and looking for a career and life-style change.

I'm currently in social-care management and, as an ex licensee here in the UK, am considering renting a bar to run in southern Tenerife - corny, I know, but true! I don't want the young party scene: I want something more sedate and appealing to all ages, and in a busy enough area to make a living.

So my first question to you all is: What locations should I be looking at? I've kinda short-listed the obvious - Adeje, Playa de la Americas and Los Christianos - but am naive and so would appreciate your thoughts.

Feel free to give me the benefit of your own experiences, plus any advice and guidance you may have (even if it's that you think I'm mad for even considering this plan). I would welcome all constructive comments!

Phil.look for a pub in the uk preferably in a nice setting and offer high end pub grub, good enough to make people want to drive to it, at least if it goes tits up you wont have had to travel thousands of miles to find out it didn't work;)