PDA

View Full Version : Renting Restrictions

Balcony
15-12-2013, 10:53
As you are all aware there are rental restrictions already in Tenerife. I didn't know, but it seems Catalonia and the Balearics also have severe restrictions.

There was a news item in the Mail yesterday (Sat) that suggest that by next spring Spain, as a whole, will also place severe restrictions (and penalties), broadly, to outlaw the private rental market. Apparently the hotel lobby is responsible.

France too is also looking to place similar restriction next year and has already banned some rentals of second properties in key cities, like Paris. Germany too is looking to introduce restrictions and may vote on it within the next fortnight.

I can envisage further restrictions in the Canaries and a racking up of action against illegal rentals once the mainland introduce legisation. Either way, it will impact severely on property owners.

It's time poeple took a stand and starting barracking their local politicians and also writing to their MEPs to protest the unfairness of the legislation proposed. Yes, have a regulated market, but make it a fair market and not so restrictive that it encourages malpractices by so called rental agents.

It is also time holiday makers started to take legal action against hotels in appropriate cases, not just whimper off home and forget it! Target hotels and report the mistakes (and tricks) discovered.

9PLUS
15-12-2013, 12:27
What would be the controls enforced on the rental agents?

doreen
15-12-2013, 12:50
Eh Balcony ... how could you have missed the (very) long running thread on here about Illegal Lettings ... nothing new in that article that has not been discussed/argued there :)

Balcony
16-12-2013, 08:53
Because, Doreen, I'd not seen the news in the Mail before. But good on you for pointing it out and, no doubt, fighting the legislation.

metalmonkey
16-12-2013, 13:33
Hi

I am moving to Tenerife permanently next year once our business sale (B&B) has completed on mainland Spain. Last year over 50 holiday rental houses in our tiny area, were denounced and owners were given a few months to register or pay a 300euro fine and close the house down. It only cost 60 euros to register which is what most of them did. To catch the illegal rentals the guardia scanned holiday rental web sites...it was very easy to find people, especially when phone numbers and email addresses were on the sites.

Balcony
16-12-2013, 19:02
Mods please close post. This I thought was new news. I don't want it to result in old stuff being re-raked.

doreen
17-12-2013, 00:22
Hi

I am moving to Tenerife permanently next year once our business sale (B&B) has completed on mainland Spain. Last year over 50 holiday rental houses in our tiny area, were denounced and owners were given a few months to register or pay a 300euro fine and close the house down. It only cost 60 euros to register which is what most of them did. To catch the illegal rentals the guardia scanned holiday rental web sites...it was very easy to find people, especially when phone numbers and email addresses were on the sites.

Just before any close of thread, I need to let metalmonkey know that the system is very different in the Canaries (think I saw you mention you were interested in rolling over Business Capital Gains into a rental apartment). Fines have been much higher here: usually 18,000 euros (though successfully fought and overturned due to internet evidence being deemed not acceptable) ... but you cannot just register for 60 euros. Rather you need to buy on Touristic complexes and hand the rental over to the "Sole Agent" of the complex. Also, little chance of running a B&B here either due to Turismo regulations :(