PDA

View Full Version : Has Massimo's in San Blas closed down?

mully
15-12-2013, 19:23
We are coming over for the New Year and looking to book Massimos on the top square on the San Blas but have been
told that it has closed down! Can anyone confirm this.It was our favourite restaurant and seemed to be doing well.

lynnangela
16-12-2013, 01:07
im not aware of any restaurant called Massimos on the top square. If you are facing the square with the lower (middle) square behind you, would it have been the first unit on the left? as that is now a cocktail bar that has opened fairly recently and is the only place I can think that might once have been Massimos. When were you last there?

karinagal
16-12-2013, 09:32
im not aware of any restaurant called Massimos on the top square. If you are facing the square with the lower (middle) square behind you, would it have been the first unit on the left? as that is now a cocktail bar that has opened fairly recently and is the only place I can think that might once have been Massimos. When were you last there?

Ooh! A cocktail bar? Tell me more.. Might fancy a wee visit there on my next trip!

Tom & Sharon
16-12-2013, 10:07
Massimo's is next door to The Great Wall. It was definitely closed the first week in December, but then quite a few places close for that week.

lynnangela
16-12-2013, 12:11
Ooh! A cocktail bar? Tell me more.. Might fancy a wee visit there on my next trip!

The cocktail bar is called Black Magic, and is really quite smart (certainly has the nicest toilets on San Blas! which is useful, being a cocktail bar an all...) there is a great selection of cocktails on offer but the best one they do isn't on the menu. I think its supposed to be a secret cocktail, its an ice cream colada, based on pina colada and its absolutely delicious. Cocktails are around €5 to €6 each so not cheap, but are the real thing and are delicious. They also have Warsteiner on draught which is hubbys favourite beer, at €2.50 I think.

If im down at San Blas today ill have a look round the top square to see if I can find out whats happened to Massimo's

polremy
16-12-2013, 17:35
We used to go to the restaurant you mention. Didn't know its name but we always called it the Italian restaurant. And, yes, it did close down probably more than a year ago. Shame cos we loved it there. We heard that there is a system whereby businesses get help of some sort for a year so when the year was up it just wasn't viable for them to carry on.

lynnangela
16-12-2013, 17:52
I had a walk through San Blas today and the restaurant sign is still up, there are tables inside with tablecloths on still, but is clearly shut with a 'no trespass' sign up, so I would guess that Polremy is correct in that it is now shut down. To be honest its a wonder that any of those restaurants on San Blas make any kind of living, with so many outlets providing for so few customers and all at cut throat prices.

Ricman
16-12-2013, 18:48
Black Magic cocktail bar is as described as above & a very nice place indeed.

The man in charge is called Phil Archer who previously ran The Bull in Ambridge I believe.

mully
16-12-2013, 19:41
Thanks lynnangela,we have decided to book a table at Country Kitchen for New Years eve,gutted! as we were really looking forward to our favourite Italian grub.
On another note,was it you that gave us a lift from the forum meet in Cristianos?

lynnangela
16-12-2013, 20:01
Thanks lynnangela,we have decided to book a table at Country Kitchen for New Years eve,gutted! as we were really looking forward to our favourite Italian grub.
On another note,was it you that gave us a lift from the forum meet in Cristianos?

ohh yes it was! how long are you over for?

mully
16-12-2013, 20:07
We are over from 29th Dec until 8th Jan,might see you on the San Blas sometime and have a beer,