PDA

View Full Version : Finance Bank charges

karaokeking
16-12-2013, 12:44
I spend the winter over here, and bank with Santander. They used to charge us 1 Euro a month for running our account. I noticed on my statements that since last year they have increased it to 3 Euros, a month now, without notifying us. Can someone tell me if the Banka March Bank has any charges. Thanks

BoPeep
16-12-2013, 18:19
Our charges with Banca March are 6 monthly and were 15.30 euros every six months. That jumped up to 20 euros for six months on my last charge in Nov 2013. Rip off! Lloyds pays me 3% for the joy of looking after my money in the UK!

boredinscotland
16-12-2013, 18:36
Can money be withdrawn in Lloyds bank in Torviscas from UK lloyds account?

BoPeep
16-12-2013, 18:39
We once looked into opening a Lloyds account here but didnt bother when they said they didnt actually hold cash at the branch, they only dealt with transfers here and abroad. That was about 4 years ago and we didnt go ahead as it wasnt worth it for us.

It may well have changed so I guess its worth asking.

essexeddie
16-12-2013, 19:25
I have been with Barclays for over twenty years and they now charge €18 a quarter.
I am thinking of turning to Santander. €3 per month is almost half of what Barclays charge.

minimadmandy
16-12-2013, 23:50
We had a Lloyd's bank account in Tenerife, but that part of their banking arm has just been sold off to Sabadell. We have just been sent new terms and conditions which means we will be charged €12.50 per quarter, plus €0.50 per withdrawal/deposit/DD etc. we have decided to start looking for another bank. The only reason we picked Lloyds in the first place was because they allowed us to do free transfers from Halifax Uk account to Lloyds account. Their exchange rate has now got so bad it's cheaper to withdraw cash in Tenerife from our Nationwide accounts and pay the money in over the counter into Lloyds account in Tenerife (that was until they started charging for paying the money in!) ridiculous situation.
If anyone can recommend a bank that makes all the transferring of DD etc easy like here in the UK that would be very useful.

essexeddie
17-12-2013, 17:27
I don't think any Bank in Tenerife is a patch on our Banks in the UK, they pay ME to keep my money in their bank. You just have to scout around for the best deal.
I know Santander have free banking in Tenerife but you have to meet certain conditions of which I don't, I don't fancy depositing €12.000 with any Spanish company, so it €3 per month for me is the best deal from what I have found. I just keep enough in to pay all the bills. I don't trust them after what happened in Cyprus.

Megaloo
17-12-2013, 20:41
I Bank with Sabadel and pay no charges as I have a regular amount transferred from the UK each month (no charges) for the transfer and the transfer that went through this week I got 1.16.05 Euros they also give you a small percentage on any utilities paid by direct debit. The minimum you need to transfer is £700 a month.

essexeddie
17-12-2013, 20:51
I Bank with Sabadel and pay no charges as I have a regular amount transferred from the UK each month (no charges) for the transfer and the transfer that went through this week I got 1.16.05 Euros they also give you a small percentage on any utilities paid by direct debit. The minimum you need to transfer is £700 a month.

That's the problem, I don't live here but spend about 5 months here a year and paying in over £8.000 per year is more than I need. Its not that easy to transfer back as there are restrictions.

Megaloo
17-12-2013, 20:56
I understand although that particular account was started originally for Non residents but then opened up to Residents ? I wonder why not enough interest for non Residents I can only presume

Norm de Plume
18-12-2013, 17:47
I seem to be paying 6euros per quarter for my La Caixa (formerly Caja Canarias) account.

essexeddie
18-12-2013, 17:57
I seem to be paying 6euros per quarter for my La Caixa (formerly Caja Canarias) account.

That sounds a better deal, keep them coming.